MPQ at Marvel.com (Ghost Rider - Robbie Reyes) (1/23/18)

Options

Comments

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Huh. How about that.

I was sure they'd go back to the "old" 5/4/4 schedule, give us another 4, and save the 5 for a Black Panther movie tie-in.

This is way better, to be honest. I'm down for a Ghost Rider 5*.
    It makes a lot more sense for them to make a 4* BP since there isn't one in that tier than a second 5* BP or some less important character from the movie.

I was surprised to see them go with GR particularly Robbie Reyes, especially when there's a number of MCU Avengers that still haven't gotten 5* treatment.  But they're likely saving those for later tie-ins.
    I agree that that makes sense to us, but given that the last time this happened (Spider-Man Homecoming) they went with "another 5* of the same character", I figured the business decision would override the game design decision. Doesn't matter how much it makes sense to create a 4* if the 5* will make more money because of the movie, you know?
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Cactus_Jack_87 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    It depends on the length of stun of GR's red. If it's a 3+ turn stun, I think he's a good counter to Gambit, particularly if paired with <50% health Thor. That red is easy to come by and Gambit can be stun-locked.

But if it's at most a 1- or 2-turn stun it's going to be disappointing. The 5* tier desperately needs a cheap stun a la G4mora or Bobby.
    I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's a one turn stun. On top of that, you can only stun once before it becomes another power, and then you have to build another 14 red AP to stun again.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,843 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    broll said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Huh. How about that.

I was sure they'd go back to the "old" 5/4/4 schedule, give us another 4, and save the 5 for a Black Panther movie tie-in.

It makes a lot more sense for them to make a 4* BP since there isn't one in that tier than a second 5* BP or some less important character from the movie.

I was surprised to see them go with GR particularly Robbie Reyes, especially when there's a number of MCU Avengers that still haven't gotten 5* treatment.  But they're likely saving those for later tie-ins.
    I agree that that makes sense to us, but given that the last time this happened (Spider-Man Homecoming) they went with "another 5* of the same character", I figured the business decision would override the game design decision. Doesn't matter how much it makes sense to create a 4* if the 5* will make more money because of the movie, you know?
    5* BP is already the movie version though so I'm not sure they have too many options available.
  • JHawkInc
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    JHawkInc said:
    broll said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Huh. How about that.

5* BP is already the movie version though so I'm not sure they have too many options available.
    Both 4* and 5* Iron Man are movie versions. It's not like there's a limit to one variant of a character being from the MCU.

Sm0keyJ0e said:
    It depends on the length of stun of GR's red. If it's a 3+ turn stun, I think he's a good counter to Gambit, particularly if paired with <50% health Thor. That red is easy to come by and Gambit can be stun-locked.

But if it's at most a 1- or 2-turn stun it's going to be disappointing. The 5* tier desperately needs a cheap stun a la G4mora or Bobby.
    I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's a one turn stun. On top of that, you can only stun once before it becomes another power, and then you have to build another 14 red AP to stun again.
    Given that it creates a countdown that deals damage when the targeted enemy makes a match, having a stun is actually a disadvantage. The longer the stun, the less you're benefitting from the countdown.

Also, you only need 7 red AP to stun again, if you can get rid of that countdown.
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Options
    It seems that his AP generation is a bit situational, since his green repeater tiles only destroy surrounding tiles, not randoms across the board like Thor's. I'm guessing that he'll be able to throw out more repeaters as his level increases, but there will still be times that the board is full of purple or yellow and it won't be doing anything. His black looks like it should be a solid nuke, with it doing around 1.4x extra damage under the right conditions. I'm guessing it'll land at around 25K (maybe more) at level 450? Very solid for 10AP. Teamed up with Thor, I could see them making a crazy amount of AP. But of course, you'll have to take down Gambit first.

• DAZ0273
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    JHawkInc said:
    broll said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Huh. How about that.

Both 4* and 5* Iron Man are movie versions. It's not like there's a limit to one variant of a character being from the MCU.

True but I think Iron Man gets a pass because his variants are all different versions of his armour and also Hulkbuster is at a different tier level.

I could possibly see them doing an Infinite War 5* Cap because his appearance (and possibly even his shield) are significantly different to the Civil War version but there isn't much to suggest that BP will be much altered compared to the Civil War version.

Of course complete conjecture on my part.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow, Ghost Rider's design is really cool. He looks like a lot of fun, and his AP generation will help his already cheap moves. It's just too bad that, since Ghostie relies heavily on special tiles, he'll be completely irrelevant out of the gate thanks to Gambit. I appreciate the thought behind most of these new 5*s, but Gambit is a jerk and ruins all their fun. Good thing I have him champed! See the video below for an example (Gambit is Indy, the swordsman is...well, everyone else).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQKrmDLvijo

Fun fact: In the script, this scene was an extended whip-vs-sword battle between Indy and the swordsman. But when it was time to shoot the scene Harrison Ford suffered from dysentery and wasn't up to shooting a physically demanding scene, so he asked "Can't I just shoot the [expletive] instead?". And that worked out well.

I feel this entire story works as an analogy for Gambit as well.

• BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    He sounds cool, my frustration just lies in how soon I may expect him to become an essential character. My hoard still hasn't recovered from when I was forced to try and pull Archangel in time for Strange Sights, and my subsequent efforts to get America covered, so now I'm very wary of 5* releases. I would assume that they wouldn't make him an Essential until he at least enters tokens, which technically shouldn't be for a little while, but I could easily be wrong. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    Wow, Ghost Rider's design is really cool. He looks like a lot of fun, and his AP generation will help his already cheap moves. It's just too bad that, since Ghostie relies heavily on special tiles, he'll be completely irrelevant out of the gate thanks to Gambit. I appreciate the thought behind most of these new 5*s, but Gambit is a jerk and ruins all their fun. Good thing I have him champed! See the video below for an example (Gambit is Indy, the swordsman is...well, everyone else).

Fun fact: In the script, this scene was an extended whip-vs-sword battle between Indy and the swordsman. But when it was time to shoot the scene Harrison Ford suffered from dysentery and wasn't up to shooting a physically demanding scene, so he asked "Can't I just shoot the [expletive] instead?". And that worked out well.

So you're saying Gambit had dysentery?
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Options

I do mainly play this game when I'm suffering from dysentery, which is all the time. So the analogy works!
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Very nice looking abilities at low cost. Love the repeater ability. I'm not sure if he can be a good counter against Gambit since he will overwrite all the special tiles.  The good news might be that Gambit's abilities might be updated next month.

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll said:
    Quebbster said:

So you're saying Gambit had dysentery?

More that he is like dysentery...

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Please keep all comments on the topic of Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes). Thank you!
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    On the topic of Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes) are any numbers out and about yet?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    @DAZ0273 If I have time today, I'll put up the details for Ghost Rider in the Character Details section, otherwise I'll see if Cthulhu is able to add them.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Thanks Brigby!
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 981 Critical Contributor
    Options
    And Ghost Rider excells in hiding someone's HP stash :)
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If its anything like his CP total, it isn't worth hiding!  :p
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is there anything in the fiction to support making Robbie Reyes and Johny Blaze mutually exclusive?

They are separate characters, and as I understand it are bound to different demons.  It seems particularly surprising given the Angel/Archangel split for two characters who are actually different versions of the same person.
  • JHawkInc
    Options
    jamesh said:
    Is there anything in the fiction to support making Robbie Reyes and Johny Blaze mutually exclusive?

They are separate characters, and as I understand it are bound to different demons.  It seems particularly surprising given the Angel/Archangel split for two characters who are actually different versions of the same person.
    They've never had consistency in this regard.

They get some right (Eddie and Flash can't fight together because there's only one Venom Symbiote, same logic for Banner and Cho being Hulk; likewise, Peggy Carter and Sam Wilson being Captain America doesn't prohibit the other or Steve Rogers from being Cap as well, same logic for Miles and Peter both being Spider-Man).

Then they get some wrong (it makes sense for Angel to fight alongside Archangel because they actually exist side by side in the comics; even if they're technically the same person, time travel has made it so they could fight together; the problem is that this should also apply to Teen Jean and Phoenix, as well as OML once he joins 616, compared to the other Wolverines).

Robbie and Johnny are wholly separate. They barely even share similar Ghost Rider abilities (where Danny Ketch and Johnny Blaze are very similar, even some basic bits like "floating flaming skull" are different with Robbie, who has a larger "flaming skull helmet" thing going on). Robbie doesn't even have a Spirit of Vengeance. Hell, one of his first comic arcs (if not THE first, I don't remember and am too lazy to check) is about him kicking up enough dust to draw Johnny Blaze's attention, and they meet in the first ten issues of Robbie's solo comic.