I don’t want a 5*

Options

Comments

• bob554
    bob554 Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    Options
    veny said:
    After champing my first 5*, PvP became unplayable 
    Agreed, since champing one of my 5*s, my average score from each PVP event sits about 600, whereas before I could usually get 850-900.

however, I also agree with Dogface above, if you are mostly doing PVE then definitely worth champing
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bob554 said:
    veny said:
    Agreed, since champing one of my 5*s, my average score from each PVP event sits about 600, whereas before I could usually get 850-900.

however, I also agree with Dogface above, if you are mostly doing PVE then definitely worth champing
    I think it all depends on which single 5* you champ and which slice you play. I'm still hitting 900 in Slice 1 with just Daredevil champed. Sometimes I start with 24 hours left, sometimes less than eight to minimize shield costs, but I haven't missed hitting 900 since I champed him like two months ago. 
  • bob554
    bob554 Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    bob554 said:
    veny said:

I think it all depends on which single 5* you champ and which slice you play. I'm still hitting 900 in Slice 1 with just Daredevil champed. Sometimes I start with 24 hours left, sometimes less than eight to minimize shield costs, but I haven't missed hitting 900 since I champed him like two months ago. 
    Fair enough, I use a Jean Grey champ. upside is that I usually save a healthpack each battle on my climb, but I guess I look like easy prey for other rosters. As for playstyle, I'm usually entering very close to the start of each slice (depending on how I feel) so maybe I'll start joining late and see how I go
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    bob554 said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    bob554 said:
    veny said:

Fair enough, I use a Jean Grey champ. upside is that I usually save a healthpack each battle on my climb, but I guess I look like easy prey for other rosters. As for playstyle, I'm usually entering very close to the start of each slice (depending on how I feel) so maybe I'll start joining late and see how I go
    Yeah, I don't ever really try for 1200. I've only hit it once (officially) in the recent IM40 PvP. So that's why I usually start with around 24 or eight hours left. I climb to 900 in one go, then shield out for the rest of the event. It usually nets me T25.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 976 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't play PVP for placement, so i take any 5* i can get my hands on. The only downside is that I'm experiencing some scaling (for example in the Galactus event), where the side nodes are harder on my Android account than on my Steam account. Though i'm not certain this is from 5* or just my roster taken as a whole (not too knowledgeable in game mechanics)
  • Kjeldbjerg
    Kjeldbjerg Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ifaik, boss events doesnt scale to your roster. The nodes increase in levels every 8 hrs (or maybe 24) with a huge increase after the first 24. So you probably just played in 2 different refreshes on your accounts.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ifaik, boss events doesnt scale to your roster. The nodes increase in levels every 8 hrs (or maybe 24) with a huge increase after the first 24. So you probably just played in 2 different refreshes on your accounts.

Side nodes scale to your roster.
    After the 6th refresh you're at the levels you would have seen with old PVE scaling, about level 460+ enemies for people with 465+ 5s.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dogface said:
    dramatist said:
    I myself am getting close to the 5* transition. I've been playing for 1217 days and (mostly PvE) and have managed to get 13 covers for Silver Surfer, Phoenix and Daredevil. Gambit is at 12 and I've been pulling latest as I get them to try for 13. Doing this has Thor at 10 covers.

I want to hold back my transition too. I still have 4*s to champ. Right now I'm working on Rogue, then Galactus gave me two extra covers for Nightcrawler so he's next.  It takes me 9 or 10 days to champ a 4* and I'm always out of Iso. I have twelve 4*s left to champ and I'd love to be finished with all except the newest before I champ a 5*.

My dilemma will be when I get that 14th cover for someone (Daredevil gets it with one more Kingpin level). Hopefully I don't get one for awhile because I'm not ready yet.

If you play mostly PVE there's no reason not to make the transition.

To add to this, Daredevil is an excellent PvE fivestar, his self healing means you can use him to grind without needing many Health packs and his other Powers are quite useful too. He's no slouch in PvP either. Go ahead and take the plunge.
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    Bowgentle said:

After the 6th refresh you're at the levels you would have seen with old PVE scaling, about level 460+ enemies for people with 465+ 5s.
    Yep. Thanks to a champed boosted Daredevil and a G4ocket and Hobo Fist both around Level 400, that lovely Hulk required wave node that features seven or eight Teisatsu, then a lone 4* Brock Venom meant he was Level 489, with about 88K or 89K health. I think I saw someone else post that he only had 56K health, so it is different based on your personal roster. 
  • Dogface
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    Bowgentle said:

Yep. Thanks to a champed boosted Daredevil and a G4ocket and Hobo Fist both around Level 400, that lovely Hulk required wave node that features seven or eight Teisatsu, then a lone 4* Brock Venom meant he was Level 489, with about 88K or 89K health. I think I saw someone else post that he only had 56K health, so it is different based on your personal roster. 
    That's something else that bothers me about wave nodes. All they announce is the number of waves, not the number of enemies in those waves or who the enemies are. The node you speak of, with those nasty Teisatsu, especially when they die. That's a massive load of strike tiles and then you still have to face a Venom with an enormous HP pool.
    If i know who i'm facing, i can assemble my team accordingly. For example, LC (Power Man), would be a good choice here.

• DarthDeVo
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Dogface said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    Bowgentle said:

That's something else that bothers me about wave nodes. All they announce is the number of waves, not the number of enemies in those waves or who the enemies are. The node you speak of, with those nasty Teisatsu, especially when they die. That's a massive load of strike tiles and then you still have to face a Venom with an enormous HP pool.
    If i know who i'm facing, i can assemble my team accordingly. For example, LC (Power Man), would be a good choice here.

While they don't tell you exactly who you're facing, they do preview the range of enemy levels when you initially select the node. 

This one's a giveaway because while most of the wave nodes will say something like level range of 305-325 or 320-330, the one with the sole high-level 4* Brock Venom will say something like range of 305-489. Our whatever he's leveled to based on your roster. 

If that second number is way higher than any other node you've been facing, then you know it's the node with Teisatsus (who generate attack tiles passively when they die, not strikes) and Venom, and you can make sure to bring along C4ge if you want. 
  • Dogface
    Options
    Still, a wave might consist of enemies from 3 to any number. So that's another unknown. This time they were Teisatsu (always mistaking strike tiles and attack tiles btw), but I sure as hell wouldn't want to get a wave of 8 Dark Avengers with a Venom as dessert.
    I'd just like to see my opponents just like in almost any other node.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    bob554 said:
    veny said:

Oh, i am sorry that i promoted OML... i didnt know they will release powerful Daredevil, Thor, Thanos or overpowered Gambit, whom i am seeing **** everywhere in both PvP and SHIELD.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    veny said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    bob554 said:
    veny said:

Oh, i am sorry that i promoted OML... i didnt know they will release powerful Daredevil, Thor, Thanos or overpowered Gambit, whom i am seeing tinykitty everywhere in both PvP and SHIELD.
    LOL, Stop. Even if you had every 5* at 550, every 4* at 370, and every 3* at 266 you would *still* complain about PvP!
  • Quebbster
    Options
    veny said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    bob554 said:
    veny said:

Oh, i am sorry that i promoted OML... i didnt know they will release powerful Daredevil, Thor, Thanos or overpowered Gambit, whom i am seeing tinykitty everywhere in both PvP and SHIELD.
    So what did you do after you promoted OML? He was my first champion too, then I did Phoenix. I played them when Thanos was introduced (I missed 5trange's introduction which also robbed me of a lot of opportunities to get Black Bolt). With OML/Phoenix, I beat up enough Panthos teams to hoard enough tokens to get Thanos, Panther and Hawkeye champed before Thanos left the token pool. Then I decided to take another break over the summer, and after I got back I did another hoard which allowed me to champ Daredevil (released just before my return) and Gambit. Thor is at 12 covers too.
    Bottom line: If you had worked for it you could have had several more fivestar champions by now. I get that you didn't want to work for it, but please don't paint it as some impossible situation to work your way out of.
    At this point in time OML won't help you in PvP, but he was definitely workable around Thanos' release. And even if you didn't want to do PvP you could still hoard resources from PvE and wait for a good set of fivestars in Latest Legends. Can't make things worse...
  • veny
    Options
    veny said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    bob554 said:
    veny said:

LOL, Stop. Even if you had every 5* at 550, every 4* at 370, and every 3* at 266 you would *still* complain about PvP!
    With every 5* maxed, i could counted all 5*s enemy has, plus i would save some heals. Cant do anything with one promoted 5* against better promoted 5*s...
    And yeah, i would complain about PvP, because it sucks - it is badly designed for players who own 5*s (lack of 5*sin game, tons of heals needed while using powered 4*s against 5*s etc.)
  • veny
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    veny said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    bob554 said:
    veny said:

So what did you do after you promoted OML? He was my first champion too, then I did Phoenix. I played them when Thanos was introduced (I missed 5trange's introduction which also robbed me of a lot of opportunities to get Black Bolt). With OML/Phoenix, I beat up enough Panthos teams to hoard enough tokens to get Thanos, Panther and Hawkeye champed before Thanos left the token pool. Then I decided to take another break over the summer, and after I got back I did another hoard which allowed me to champ Daredevil (released just before my return) and Gambit. Thor is at 12 covers too.
    Bottom line: If you had worked for it you could have had several more fivestar champions by now. I get that you didn't want to work for it, but please don't paint it as some impossible situation to work your way out of.
    At this point in time OML won't help you in PvP, but he was definitely workable around Thanos' release. And even if you didn't want to do PvP you could still hoard resources from PvE and wait for a good set of fivestars in Latest Legends. Can't make things worse...
    What did i do? I moved to 4*s - i barely manage to promote one before another is released. Few days ago i got 14th Phoenix so she is my 2nd promoted 5* now, which made PvP even worse with all Gambits, Thors and Daredevils around. I can still win most of fights, but at the cost of 1-3 heals per fight, which makes PvP impossible for me as a free player (and dont bother with arguments like "Pvp rewards are worth buying heals for HP" - i am hearing it way too often).
    Not sure if we play the same game, but my drop rate of 5*s is pretty pathetic and i have all of them with 5-10 colours in average... on the other side i have over 30 champed 4*s that are crucial for 5* farming.
    Dunno what your strategy is, but with PvE you can barely do something more than championing 4*s that are still comming.
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    Dogface said:
    Still, a wave might consist of enemies from 3 to any number. So that's another unknown. This time they were Teisatsu (always mistaking strike tiles and attack tiles btw), but I sure as hell wouldn't want to get a wave of 8 Dark Avengers with a Venom as dessert.
    I'd just like to see my opponents just like in almost any other node.
    I think the past several boss fights they've had, whenever they've thrown in the sneaker Venom wave node, the preceding wave has always been the seven or eight Teisatsus in a row.

If they did it with all DA characters, only to finish up with a highly scaled Venom, they would never hear the end of the complaints on this board. 
  • Dogface
    Options
    So i guess i have to remember or write down what enemies and how many i will face in each node in every event ...
  • Quebbster
    Options
    veny said:
    Quebbster said:
    veny said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    bob554 said:
    veny said:

What did i do? I moved to 4*s - i barely manage to promote one before another is released. Few days ago i got 14th Phoenix so she is my 2nd promoted 5* now, which made PvP even worse with all Gambits, Thors and Daredevils around. I can still win most of fights, but at the cost of 1-3 heals per fight, which makes PvP impossible for me as a free player (and dont bother with arguments like "Pvp rewards are worth buying heals for HP" - i am hearing it way too often).
    Not sure if we play the same game, but my drop rate of 5*s is pretty pathetic and i have all of them with 5-10 colours in average... on the other side i have over 30 champed 4*s that are crucial for 5* farming.
    Dunno what your strategy is, but with PvE you can barely do something more than championing 4*s that are still comming.

Are you opening Classic Legends? That may be the problem. If you want to move to the fivestar tier, you should hoard, never open Classics, and only open Latest once you have enough pulls to cover all Three fivestars in the pool (and make sure the fivestars are good ones - it probably wasn't a good idea to bust the hoard when it was Hawkeye, Star-Lord and Doc Ock for example). Classic dilution means it will take an insanely long time to cover anyone, it's better to forget them and ride the wave in Latest for fivestar play.

That said, it seems to me like you have found a play that suits you pretty well - if you earn enough ISO to level the fourstars as they are relased it means you can go with the flow in the fourstar tier. If you want to go fivestar you probably need to kick it up a notch, but as long as you are content with fourstar play you can play in the way you enjoy. No need to complain about higher tiers if you aren't interested in going there anyway though.

(For the record I am a free player too, and I have no problem leveling fourstars as they are released and have ISO to spare for fivestars too.)