I don’t want a 5*

Options

Comments

• redviper85
    redviper85 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    After champing two 5*s and getting Gambit to level 420 (blaze it up), I feel the game has changed a lot.
    All I get in PvP now is 5*s. Sure all I got before was the two best 4*s before, but now it's only Gambit combos. Shield Sim is pretty broken since I *need* three 5*s to compete. Bringing in a 4* with its 15-20K HP against the 40-70KHP of a 5* is crazy talk.

That said, PvE has become way, WAY quicker now. That at least is more enjoyable since I don't have to spend over an hour on a single clear.

But the biggest issue I feel is suddenly new 4*s feel like a waste of time. I just champed Nico and I'm not far from a 13th cover for Hulk. America Chavez, a character I like, has been released and if I champ her tomorrow or in a year it'll make no difference to me. They will only really help as a required character in PvE.

I hate how much the MMR changes once you go to 5* land. You're pretty much stuck there once you reach it.
    America is a junior 5*. Bring 2 5*s and a 0/0/1 America to shield sim and start dropping fools left and right. especially if you keep her in the back. Like her Gambit and Thor. they tank her covers and she goes crazy.  
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Straycat said:

I just find it funny that a big complaint against 5*s is that you have to use the same characters all the time, yet everyone already uses Gamora, Rocket, and Medusa every match.
    This is such a wildly inaccurate statement. At least for me, I see combinations of random boosted 4s, which of course change week to week. In sim yeah they are everywhere, but like I said, easily skippable for about 3/4 of the climb to 2000. After which, you can still skip but might be taking a 22 point match over a 70 point match. 

I also know I personally don’t play just that one team. I like to try different combos, especially in sim. What’s the point of having all those champs and not using them?
    I barely ever used that team, and I only use grocket for the easy pve nodes, or with SL and Carol in goon nodes. I was just saying that the forum makes it seem like that's the only team used.
  • 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Side note, I wish there was a PvP designed to not allow 5*s. If they made a season with no 5*s allowed, I'd be all over that.
    Agreed, a branch of only 4 star PvP and only 5 star PvP would be great for the game. Though if you do play pvp in the only 5 star PvP, the rewards should be outstanding, I’ll be fair and open to that.

Even though I’ll say it again, I do not want any 5 star champs...
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Side note, I wish there was a PvP designed to not allow 5*s
    I wish they would tier PVP similar to the Deadpool Daily-- a 5* tier where you can play 5s and down, a 4* tier where you could play 4s and down, and so on...each with their own placement rewards.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I can’t imagine having just one or two champed 5* and having to play them over and over. Sounds so boring compared to making new combos of boosted 4* every week. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Wonko33 said:
    I can’t imagine having just one or two champed 5* and having to play them over and over. Sounds so boring compared to making new combos of boosted 4* every week. 

Half of the boosted weekly 4s have colour overlap or suck.

I'd like to see you using Sandman with Starlord this week, please.

There used to be variety in the 5* tier, which is why we want Gambit nerfed so we can go back to using our other characters.

There's 21 5s now, complaints about "not enough variety" aren't warranted anymore.
  • 0_efx_0
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Wonko33 said:

There used to be variety in the 5* tier, which is why we want Gambit nerfed so we can go back to using our other characters.

There's 21 5s now, complaints about "not enough variety" aren't warranted anymore.
    21 5* characters? More like 10 pretty good characters and the rest are so-so. Judging by the top 5* list.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Wonko33 said:

I absolutely used Starlord/Sandman for most my climb in Spidey PVP. They were great!

For PVE because of color overlap I had to respec Bird and Cyke to be pure batteries and it was fun trying them in new ways. 

I also discovered how brutal Cyke/Star-Lord and 2* Mags could be in PVE. It was damn near winfinite for me. I’ll have to post more on that in the fun teams thread. 

But the point is discovering those combos even on an off week is part of the fun. In the 5* realm you just use your two best. Now it’s Gambolt. Before that it was Panthos. If you had those two you played those two. It’s not like the 5* tier was flooded with Ock teams ever. But I saw plenty of Sandman this week in PVP.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Wonko33 said:

I think I’ll manage with Rogue, Cyclops and Spider Gwen. 
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bowgentle said:

The mostly random nature of 4-star acquisition means that some players will have a usable Star-Lord but not a Sandman, or vice versa. The boost list caters to both use cases, so that you have multiple opportunities to use boosted 4-stars. If anything, given that we now have ~60 of them, Demiurge should consider boosting more 4-stars in each event.
  • Straycat
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Wonko33 said:

I absolutely used Starlord/Sandman for most my climb in Spidey PVP. They were great!

For PVE because of color overlap I had to respec Bird and Cyke to be pure batteries and it was fun trying them in new ways. 

I also discovered how brutal Cyke/Star-Lord and 2* Mags could be in PVE. It was damn near winfinite for me. I’ll have to post more on that in the fun teams thread. 

But the point is discovering those combos even on an off week is part of the fun. In the 5* realm you just use your two best. Now it’s Gambolt. Before that it was Panthos. If you had those two you played those two. It’s not like the 5* tier was flooded with Ock teams ever. But I saw plenty of Sandman this week in PVP.
    With pve scaling a 5* player could mix it up with any team too, and might be more inclined to. I like trying to punch above my weight with some fun teams in pve. Save my strong team and health packs for when I need it.
    And maybe its just my experience with only 1 5* champ, but I am having to use characters in non ideal builds to compliment my 5*s. That part of the game isn't lost. Its all rng, so unless you pay a lot you aren't guaranteed to have the meta teams. Especially non champ 5*s where you can't respec them, you have to get creative with your teams. The absolute endgame is probably boring, but I don't think the entire 5* realm is
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Straycat said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Wonko33 said:

With pve scaling a 5* player could mix it up with any team too, and might be more inclined to. I like trying to punch above my weight with some fun teams in pve. Save my strong team and health packs for when I need it.
    And maybe its just my experience with only 1 5* champ, but I am having to use characters in non ideal builds to compliment my 5*s. That part of the game isn't lost. Its all rng, so unless you pay a lot you aren't guaranteed to have the meta teams. Especially non champ 5*s where you can't respec them, you have to get creative with your teams. The absolute endgame is probably boring, but I don't think the entire 5* realm is
    I'd consider you a 5* transitioner more than a 5* player.  I remember there was a thread asking to nerf Thanos and calling the game "Marvel Tapping Quest", because it was the same team, same strategy every single game.  Now the same complaints are there for Gambit now that he has overtaken the Meta.  The sheer amount of 4s and the 4* boost list makes the optimal team very different week to week. And yes you can mix it up in PVE (like I said I was using a 2* on my fastest PVE team), but PVP it has to be your two best.  This is true of both tiers, but with 4* your two best are going to be very different any given week.
  • Straycat
    Options
    Straycat said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Wonko33 said:

I'd consider you a 5* transitioner more than a 5* player.  I remember there was a thread asking to nerf Thanos and calling the game "Marvel Tapping Quest", because it was the same team, same strategy every single game.  Now the same complaints are there for Gambit now that he has overtaken the Meta.  The sheer amount of 4s and the 4* boost list makes the optimal team very different week to week. And yes you can mix it up in PVE (like I said I was using a 2* on my fastest PVE team), but PVP it has to be your two best.  This is true of both tiers, but with 4* your two best are going to be very different any given week.
    Revisiting that thread, some of the complaint is that Thanos is boring. Which could be said about Gambit too I guess. For the most part I have to use Daredevil every PVP match, but he's more fun to play.

I think the landscape has changed since then. There are more 5*s and the top 4*s had vaulting and bonus heroes and more time to level up and be able to compete when boosted.
    The title of this thread is I don't want a 5*. I just wanted to say MPQ is still fun and personally I find it more fun as a 5* transitioner.
  • Arix90
    Arix90 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Options
    True but i think eventually boosted near max champed 4*s will take you to the same scaling as champed 5*s
  • 0_efx_0
    Options
    Hey guys I lied...I want that 5* Ghost Rider!
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I myself am getting close to the 5* transition. I've been playing for 1217 days and (mostly PvE) and have managed to get 13 covers for Silver Surfer, Phoenix and Daredevil. Gambit is at 12 and I've been pulling latest as I get them to try for 13. Doing this has Thor at 10 covers.

I want to hold back my transition too. I still have 4*s to champ. Right now I'm working on Rogue, then Galactus gave me two extra covers for Nightcrawler so he's next.  It takes me 9 or 10 days to champ a 4* and I'm always out of Iso. I have twelve 4*s left to champ and I'd love to be finished with all except the newest before I champ a 5*.

My dilemma will be when I get that 14th cover for someone (Daredevil gets it with one more Kingpin level). Hopefully I don't get one for awhile because I'm not ready yet.

• Darknes21
    Darknes21 Posts: 321 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Straycat said:

I just find it funny that a big complaint against 5*s is that you have to use the same characters all the time, yet everyone already uses Gamora, Rocket, and Medusa every match.
    I wish I could see Gamora/ rgoot/ medusa! In 5* land all u see to 480+ gambits and bolts ....I miss the the old days of OML/ Phx! 
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 976 Critical Contributor
    Options
    dramatist said:
    I myself am getting close to the 5* transition. I've been playing for 1217 days and (mostly PvE) and have managed to get 13 covers for Silver Surfer, Phoenix and Daredevil. Gambit is at 12 and I've been pulling latest as I get them to try for 13. Doing this has Thor at 10 covers.

I want to hold back my transition too. I still have 4*s to champ. Right now I'm working on Rogue, then Galactus gave me two extra covers for Nightcrawler so he's next.  It takes me 9 or 10 days to champ a 4* and I'm always out of Iso. I have twelve 4*s left to champ and I'd love to be finished with all except the newest before I champ a 5*.

My dilemma will be when I get that 14th cover for someone (Daredevil gets it with one more Kingpin level). Hopefully I don't get one for awhile because I'm not ready yet.

If you play mostly PVE there's no reason not to make the transition.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Options
    After champing my first 5*, PvP became unplayable and it is becoming worse with every new 5* released, since new ones are mostly better than old ones (same with 4*s).
    Even now i am trying to do First avenger, 1 hr left, out of heals, stuck at 500 points, being defeated 5 times...well, no luck. On the other side 5*s are great for PvE and without them, you can beat toughest nodes only with difficulties.
    I dont blame 5*s, i blame DEVs for designing unballanced heroes and stupid PvP system and matchmaking.