Limited Edition New Character Boosts, S.H.I.E.L.D. Training, ISO and HP.

Hyposphere6234
Hyposphere6234 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
edited January 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Why is this even a thing? Why should I even care about them if they're going to be discarded and forgotten about in a short amount of time? Why should my priority be in leveling up the newest character over the other 100 characters that I'm still trying to level up before this one?

Another character has been introduced with their "Training" within which, completion requires the new 4* fully covered and leveled up within a week of release.

I can guarantee that there's been a far more amount of people who have given up on this game over the increasing amount of wall presented to them than the people over the wall.

The limited edition boosts, and the continued S.H.I.E.L.D. Training are just examples of the divide. DDQ has been excellent in providing equality in maintaining a standard no matter what level you're at. DDQ was what brought me back into the game as it maintained standards no matter where you were at, DDQ was a game changer as it was for everyone.

I understand that the meta and dynamics of the game have changed over the years but when I'm still trying to champion Spider-Gwen, who still has no feed for her covers I still question over the mechanics of this game.

This game needs some serious overhaul. There are changes needed to ISO, there are changes needed to feeders. There are changes needed to dynamics and I understand that this company needs to make a profit, but the means of purchasing aren't exactly fair.

You can pay to level up your characters by buying ISO, ISO is in a severe demand and the offers available are the same five years ago. If I could buy 780,00 ISO then I may bite. 78,000 ISO isn't enough to max out and champion a 2* and right now we're in 5* territory. I'd ask what Hero points were worth but right now I'm covered for the next 80 releases.? I'm not even able to level up 2* characters with Hero Points.

Comments

• Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    You forgot to finish your post with 'End rant'
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hate the new boosts, more so that they dont disappear and just sit there and cant be deleted
    Here’s something I just learned.  You can use them up in any match, regardless of whether the character is used. I entered the loaner node in door 2 in Strange Sights. Used the essentials (C&D, 3Blade, 2HT) and threw a Nightcrawler boost in.  The game didn’t stop me even though it did absolutely nothing for that team. 

So either save the boosts for a Crash or just use them up in Lightning Round seeds, easy PVE nodes, or something.  Not as easy as straight deleting, but in one sub you can use up all the extra boosts for any one character.  (5 per match with 12 matches, done.)
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    So, original poster thinks they know better than Demiurge and D3 what has happened with player population.

OP thinks that an additional event that gives +1 readily available (ymmv) cover for new releases is a wall that people will be put off by.

OP thinks that limited edition boosts that make SHIELD Training's last row more tractable is somehow emblematic of some divide

OP questions the mechanics of the game because RNG and Iso are still the core mechanics of roster growth limits

OP asserts the game needs serious overhaul ignoring the changes that are asserted are ones that have changed in "serious overhaul" scale over the past year.

If you don't understand how to work with the mechanics of the game to progress and prosper, posting on here with a rant about how the game is wrong is probably not going to help you find the solutions you seek.
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    bluewolf said:
    I hate the new boosts, more so that they dont disappear and just sit there and cant be deleted
    Here’s something I just learned.  You can use them up in any match, regardless of whether the character is used. I entered the loaner node in door 2 in Strange Sights. Used the essentials (C&D, 3Blade, 2HT) and threw a Nightcrawler boost in.  The game didn’t stop me even though it did absolutely nothing for that team. 

So either save the boosts for a Crash or just use them up in Lightning Round seeds, easy PVE nodes, or something.  Not as easy as straight deleting, but in one sub you can use up all the extra boosts for any one character.  (5 per match with 12 matches, done.)
    oh i see so basically you can waste them in an easy node, very cool. thanks
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it's a matter of perspective. To you, they are meant to be discarded and forgotten. To others, it could be a new strategy for them.

You have a choice to prioritise who you want to focus on. D3 doesn't dictate it. For some reason(s), you perceived that your priority is to level up latest characters.

Based on what I remember and if I remember it correctly, SHIELD Training is meant to reward long term players. Besides, SHIELD Training is not the only playable in story mode. You still have PvE. You make it sounds like it's gonna be the end of the world. If you swapped the frequency of SHIELD training with PvE, you have a very strong case.

You might not be able to buy 780000 iso but you can buy 78000 iso 10 times. I think that solve your problem of not being able to buy 780,000 iso?

~70000 is needed to max out 2* at level 94 and another 5000 to champion.it. Subsequently, you need 50 covers to bring them up to 144.

As for not getting covers for Spider-Gwen, you might want to invest CP in her if you really like her a lot since RNG aren't being nice to you as far as Spider Gwen is concerned. 

You can sort of level up your 2* with Hero Points. You know those 21/41/81 vault? I see quite a number of 2* there and you can buy the vault. 

I think it's more of an outburst at the moment. Take a break and chill out.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Haven't used any of the new boosts.  Once they are retired, they just sit there.  As for the S.H.I.E.L.D. training, I think it definitely needs some work.  As many have stated here in the forums, getting the newest character covered and leveled enough to complete the training is essentially a haven for the whales.  I have nothing against them, mind you.  If they want to spend their money that way, it is none of my business.  I just think that they should retool the training to use any characters other than the newest and reward players with a random cover for the new character.  I usually play the training as far as I can with whatever characters I have.  This time I will be able to get a bit farther than before since I have both Ant-man and The Thing champed.
  • Why always talk of shield training for whales?
    I never spent anything on this game, never nada 0. And I can complete the important part(getting the new cover) every time I really try(5 covers from pve 3 from PvP, one from shield training and one from "and friends" vault).

If you do not do what it takes to finish it, you will do better next time(did not have time for it with meh or nico)
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ok so um yea, interesting read. I'm just going to move on.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why always talk of shield training for whales?
    I never spent anything on this game, never nada 0. And I can complete the important part(getting the new cover) every time I really try(5 covers from pve 3 from PvP, one from shield training and one from "and friends" vault).

If you do not do what it takes to finish it, you will do better next time(did not have time for it with meh or nico)

Because to be able to complete all nodes you need to be able to get 13 covers for the new character in the span of one week. That's mighty difficult to do for non-whales.

Personally, I am very happy if I can get both the new character cover and the 10,000 ISO progression reward. I don't Think I have managed to do both since Nightcrawler's release, we'll see if I get lucky this time.

• Quebbster said:

Because to be able to complete all nodes you need to be able to get 13 covers for the new character in the span of one week. That's mighty difficult to do for non-whales.

Personally, I am very happy if I can get both the new character cover and the 10,000 ISO progression reward. I don't Think I have managed to do both since Nightcrawler's release, we'll see if I get lucky this time.

Yes. Last node is really difficult to reach for non whales. Was more concerned about the cover ;)
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards

For all of the new chars that are released, I have never "whaled" them.  it is almost impossible now due to the vault.  It is funny that even with out this, Meh/Nico/Chavez have ended up at 10 or 11 covers.

3 or 4 PVE depending top 1/2 or top 10-This is not whaling

1 from PVE ally rewards-This is not whaling

2 from Top 5 SL 9 PVP-This is not whaling

1 or 2 from PVE Progression in the next event-This is not whaling

1 from next PVP event from Progression at 900-This is not whaling

1 from the S.H.I.E.L.D. Training event-This is not whaling

1 from the vault if very very lucky which I only got 1 time-This could be whaling if you buy multiple vaults.

• Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Quebbster said:

Exactly!  I simply did not have Nico nor Carnage covered or leveled high enough to finish all the nodes (Carnage only because I simply HATE that character in the game.  I did roster him only for the Behemoth Burrito so that I can complete it every day).  Otherwise, I simply play each node that I can.
  • Quebbster

For all of the new chars that are released, I have never "whaled" them.  it is almost impossible now due to the vault.  It is funny that even with out this, Meh/Nico/Chavez have ended up at 10 or 11 covers.

1 from the vault if very very lucky which I only got 1 time-This could be whaling if you buy multiple vaults.

If you add up the progression and placement reward covers you end up at 10 covers, which is very respectable. The last Three covers need to come from vaults or release tokens if you want them while SHIELD training is still open, so I stand by my earlier Point - even with optimal play you still need a lot of luck to hit 13 covers in a week as a non-whale.

Still, 10 covers means you will be able to play all the Chavez missions this time around, to keep the hamster Wheel spinning.

Do note that I am only including one PvE progression cover in my calculation, as the two Chavez covers we got in Enemy of the State couldn't be reached Before SHIELD training ended.

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:

If you add up the progression and placement reward covers you end up at 10 covers, which is very respectable. The last Three covers need to come from vaults or release tokens if you want them while SHIELD training is still open, so I stand by my earlier Point - even with optimal play you still need a lot of luck to hit 13 covers in a week as a non-whale.

Still, 10 covers means you will be able to play all the Chavez missions this time around, to keep the hamster Wheel spinning.

Do note that I am only including one PvE progression cover in my calculation, as the two Chavez covers we got in Enemy of the State couldn't be reached Before SHIELD training ended.

Oh I agree with you that you do have to get lucky in some of this with buying covers.  That's why I have posted with every SHIELD Training a new thread to see how many got the new release champed.  It has been ranging from 6-12 people per event that complete it.  I should go back and look at my post to come up with a new from each one that was reported.  Might be some dupes but curious on this as well. 
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Meh, it is what it is at this point.

I grab my 5 tokens and maybe 1-2 CP after the release and call it a day. 

Only real suggestion is that they lower the level limit from 209 to 150 for the third node. But they gotta make that paper somehow. They are a poor small company just scraping by, they can't even afford to take extended breaks off for holidays.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,105 Chairperson of the Boards

There seem to be several different themes going on here.

1.)    SHIELD Training – they came right out and declared this wasn’t for everyone but did spin it as being for “vets” (whatever that means) which isn’t really true. Basically, this appeared at the same time new X-men characters did – gotta pay for those licences somehow, eh? Bonus for anyone else who works like a dog to be able to do it – the guys who can get the covers from the top finishes deserve the rewards. Not all the shiny in life can always be had by all.

2.)    Character boosts – I haven’t yet used one of these either. Feels like a throw it and see if it sticks to the wall type thing from the Devs, not really sure why they have to expire and sit there though. It doesn’t stop you getting other boosts so hey-ho.

3.)    In terms of Championing Classic characters – this is definitely still possible. Before vaulting I had a 0/3/0 Moon Knight who stayed that way until un-vaulting – I then bonus hero’ed him and I got him champed around Christmas time. I will say though that Spider Gwen is the only classic 4 I don’t have (I sold her previously for needed iso) so RNGesus seems fickle with her.

4.)    Iso is one of the Devs “controls” to stop everybody sprinting to the end of the game. The price of iso is ridiculous but isn’t likely to change any time soon. When I entered 4* land I was shocked at the iso costs (and no doubt will be floored by 5* iso costs) but this game has made strides in iso generation over the 2 years I have been playing. I’m by no means anywhere near an optimal player but I’m still managing to champ 4* older and new without needing to buy any iso. So it comes down to managing and juggling your iso needs. I still have 4* to champ (Nick Fury and Venom have been ready to go for months and months) but they will just have to wait their turn.

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    The boosts are dumb IMO.  In general I don't want them or need them.  I think I've only used 1 or 2 of them total.  I used some of the Nico ones because her 1v1s were hard with her being a support character with next to no offense.  I really wish they would go away, they just seem like unnecessary clutter and things taking spots where good rewards could be.  That being said I'd be fine if they got rid of all buffs and TUs, I don't use those all that much either.  I certainly have used them and they've saved my butt however if given the choice between keeping them in the game or removing them completely I'd prefer the later.

I like the idea of the SHIELD Training events but I had the implementation of it.  The level requirement is the biggest gripe.  Take the level requirement out and make it so bring a 1 cover is a big negative, but you can overcome it with good play.  If you have to have a requirement switch it to covers instead of levels and back off on how steep they are IMO.  De-prioritizing ISO to where it's needed just to get a portion of that ISO back isn't worth it.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    @DAZ0273

Definitely, agree with your points. My only qualm is the shiny new thing. It's one thing for the bottom row to get the LT. Reward the diehards and whales with that, no problem. But denying so many, including seasoned vets, one measly cover to the newest character just feels petty and overly stingy.

It does not encourage people to play harder, it fosters resent and a feeling that your hard work and financial support (at whatever level) is not valued by devs. I have every single 4 champed except for the last 3 releases and ST is a message from the devs that my dedication to the game isn't enough for them. Really is a slap in the face.

Edit: the stupidity of it all is getting that one measly new cover would actually entice players to work harder to cover the new release or possibly whale him.
  • Quebbster
    DAZ0273 said:

4.)    Iso is one of the Devs “controls” to stop everybody sprinting to the end of the game. The price of iso is ridiculous but isn’t likely to change any time soon. When I entered 4* land I was shocked at the iso costs (and no doubt will be floored by 5* iso costs) but this game has made strides in iso generation over the 2 years I have been playing. I’m by no means anywhere near an optimal player but I’m still managing to champ 4* older and new without needing to buy any iso. So it comes down to managing and juggling your iso needs. I still have 4* to champ (Nick Fury and Venom have been ready to go for months and months) but they will just have to wait their turn.

Going off on a tangent here, but the ISO costs do the biggest leap from the Three-star to four-star tier, the fivestars aren't that bad in comparison. A fourstar costs 360K ISO to max while a fivestar costs 550K ISO, so you can max two fivestars for approximately the same amount of ISO as it costs to max Three fourstars. A threestar costs 120K ISO to max, so you can max Three Three-stars for the same amount of ISO it costs to max out one fourstar.

I really wish they'd lower the cost to max a fourstar a bit. A 25% reduction to around 270K ISO would fit very nicely with the cost of the other tiers.