Tamiyo field reasercher...can she make an appearance now

Options

Comments

• FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

wereotter said:
    Angrath is gonna be nice. Hopefully they can give him generic enough abilities to make him a regularly usable black/red planeswalker. I like Sarkhan well enough since he's the only one who can do those colors, it it would be great to have another option.

uhhh you forget about Bolas?  lol

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No. But I meant a just black/red.

Bolas is alright, but I wouldn’t use him if I was trying to do a mechanic contained just in those two colors. 
  • FindingHeart8
    edited January 2018
    Options
    wereotter said:

Bolas is alright, but I wouldn’t use him if I was trying to do a mechanic contained just in those two colors. 
    hmmmm, interesting response.  So here's my question to you then, what benefit do you see in using just 2 colors instead of 3?  I'm a fan of Sarkhan, his mana bonuses were generous back in the day, he was the only black/red at the time, he works well with dragons, and I've LOVED his artwork ever since the original mtg card was released.  Since december though (in my opinion at least) he's been completely outclassed by Bolas, so I'd be interested in what value you still find in him, aside from a black/red backup to the almighty dragon?
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2018
    Options
    sarkhan should play slightly differently with to and from
    planeswalker colour gems. eg ingest, versus avaricious
    dragon, corrupted grafstone.

HH
  • wereotter
    Options
    wereotter said:

hmmmm, interesting response.  So here's my question to you then, what benefit do you see in using just 2 colors instead of 3?  I'm a fan of Sarkhan, his mana bonuses were generous back in the day, he was the only black/red at the time, he works well with dragons, and I've LOVED his artwork ever since the original mtg card was released.  Since december though (in my opinion at least) he's been completely outclassed by Bolas, so I'd be interested in what value you still find in him, aside from a black/red backup to the almighty dragon?
    I don't like wasted potential. If I'm not going to use blue cards while playing Bolas, I'm not going to use him to build the deck. Otherwise your argument could just as easily be applied to "why use Koth when Bolas exists? Why you Tezzeret when you could just use Bolas?"

Also it depends a little bit on the mechanic I'm using. I still have a madness deck in my deck slot for Sarkhan, which works since his first ability lets me draw extra cards, makes it so I don't have to include card draw spells to keep him going.
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    In the case of Saheeli or Tezz2, both have better mana and at least as good abilities, so I don’t find Bolas a good replacement.  But for Sarkhan, his flat mana curve and narrow abilities seem outmatched, not to mention the difference in hit points.  
    If I wasn’t building a dragon deck, I don’t see any reason to prefer Sarkhan.
  • FindingHeart8
    edited January 2018
    Options
    wereotter said:
    wereotter said:

I don't like wasted potential. If I'm not going to use blue cards while playing Bolas, I'm not going to use him to build the deck. Otherwise your argument could just as easily be applied to "why use Koth when Bolas exists? Why you Tezzeret when you could just use Bolas?"

Also it depends a little bit on the mechanic I'm using. I still have a madness deck in my deck slot for Sarkhan, which works since his first ability lets me draw extra cards, makes it so I don't have to include card draw spells to keep him going.
    Basically what Gilesclone said on Sarkhan.  The only advantage I'd say Koth has on Bolas is speed, if the colors on the board are significantly red at game-start.  Tezz2 is better with supports than Bolas, and both Tezz2 and Tezz1 have nice mana bonuses with no downsides like Bolas's -1 to green/white at lvl 60.  However ability-wise and maneuverability, Bolas beats them all except Tezz2. 
  • Grixis197
    Grixis197 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Bil said:
    I just hope they will select the black/green vraska and not the black one from ixalan.
    I d like the idea of another 3 colored but I'm not sure tamiyos powers would really fit well in mtgpq as she's a drawer and there already are lots of card to draw fast around here ( while it's way harder to draw in the paper version). Besides, his third ability should result in an omniscience-like support and I really think a single omniscience card already does enough damage to the meta. 
    Don’t worry they will do the BG Vraska they won’t choose the B Vraska that’s from the PW decks they never have brought those in. Plus saw the icon already when the update comes it’s the art of BG Vraska.
  • Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So you want green blue vomit loops with a nyx back? Seems masochistic, but I'm down. I like tamiyo and bant is my favorite color combo
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So you want green blue vomit loops with a nyx back? Seems masochistic, but I'm down. I like tamiyo and bant is my favorite color combo

I've had the guilds stuck in my head so long I'd forgotten those colour combinations and names... White Blue Black for me, which was that again?

And I originally loved the Blue Black guild, but then the Gorgon's won me over...
  • EldrosKandar
    EldrosKandar Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Kinesia said:

I've had the guilds stuck in my head so long I'd forgotten those colour combinations and names... White Blue Black for me, which was that again?

And I originally loved the Blue Black guild, but then the Gorgon's won me over...
    That would be Esper.

I wouldn't say no to Tamiyo, but let the Ixalan's Planeswalker comes first (and the few 3-color cards will be included too hopefully).
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wereotter said:
    Angrath is gonna be nice. Hopefully they can give him generic enough abilities to make him a regularly usable black/red planeswalker. I like Sarkhan well enough since he's the only one who can do those colors, it it would be great to have another option.

Though it will be too hard to figure out Angrath's third ability as-printed since we never have any idea how many cards are in graveyards. Even now.... with as many cards exist that care about cards both in your graveyard and your opponent's graveyard...
    Then there's that Bolas guy that can do these colors plus blue and has very nice generic any-deck abilities...
  • wereotter
    Options
    wereotter said:

Though it will be too hard to figure out Angrath's third ability as-printed since we never have any idea how many cards are in graveyards. Even now.... with as many cards exist that care about cards both in your graveyard and your opponent's graveyard...
    Then there's that Bolas guy that can do these colors plus blue and has very nice generic any-deck abilities...
    See above for my opinions on using Bolas over Sarkhan. I like Bolas, but I’m not going to use him simply because I can. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree with wereotter, if we're going to move mainly to Bolas then why not just use 1 5 colour planeswalker for everything? It's silly.
    Options are good. Different abiilities are good. It's a _challenge_ to work out how to build good decks with some people and that's cool,like using weird and unloved cards...

The only changes I want, are Arlinn to include wolves, _something_ for Energy Chandra and Green Ajani to get +1 for another colour or something, his mana is a huge huge problem, I've tried everyone now and his mana annoys me the most of _anyone_.

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    I agree with wereotter, if we're going to move mainly to Bolas then why not just use 1 5 colour planeswalker for everything? It's silly.
    Options are good. Different abiilities are good. It's a _challenge_ to work out how to build good decks with some people and that's cool,like using weird and unloved cards...

The only changes I want, are Arlinn to include wolves, _something_ for Energy Chandra and Green Ajani to get +1 for another colour or something, his mana is a huge huge problem, I've tried everyone now and his mana annoys me the most of _anyone_.

Just wait until you get hour of  promise or Rishkars expertise. You'll never have to complain about his mana gains again! 
  • wereotter
    Options
    WG Ajani, I would argue, was done right as far as mana goes. He has green, but his green gains are so low compared to his white gains that you can’t abuse him. I kind of hope they do more of this in the future. 
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    wereotter said:
    WG Ajani, I would argue, was done right as far as mana goes. He has green, but his green gains are so low compared to his white gains that you can’t abuse him. I kind of hope they do more of this in the future. 
    I'm fine with his green mana gains being low, makes it a bit more difficult to ramp.  However I wish he had at least a +1 in one of the other 3 colors (maybe blue); it's just sad in comparison to most of the other non-starter planeswalkers
  • wereotter
    Options
    He's got overall gains on par with your average 2-color planeswalker considering most just have +3 on both of their primary colors. Ajani just has +4 white and +2 green. Adding to another color wouldn't be bad, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were offsetting that with how defensible he is both with his ultimate support, and his high life total.

But.... if they wanted to give him more mana, I certainly wouldn't complain. But would think it likely would go onto red since Ajani has never been blue... <shrugs>
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    @wereotter

yeah his super high life total seems like compensation for his incredibly slow gameplay...like the Snorlax of mtgpq.

Yeah I was considering red, his artwork in that picture just screams Bant though in my opinion, but I could see them making the +1 red because of his Boros past.
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I still think that even as Oktagon is going forward (since we indeed are very far behind in terms of Ixalan), we should still have Tamiyo given that you've managed to cram Nicol Bolas in the game.