What is your top ten 4* list.

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've had a similar experience with Vulture. I've been able to single-handedly shut down teams of all-boosted 4*s on weeks he is un-boosted. I feel similarly about C4rol as well, but since those two are in my limited pool of 4* Champs, I wasn't sure I was missing something.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Vulture is awesome for that...I took him into the Royal family node in the last PVE and I had him down to 1400 health facing Lockjaw with 30,000...I had enough black saved at that point that I was still able to win the match.  Vulture is awesome.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Peggy is still #1 to me, and my usage backs that up. I may not use her as often as I do Grocket & Gamora (because they're like autopilot for goons, seeds, and easy nodes) but Peggy's a rock star to me when looking at a difficult opponent.

With IM40 and a green nuker behind her, the fight has the potential to be over in turn 5:
    Turn 1: Match yellow
    Turn 2: Match Yellow
    Turn 3: Cast Recharge
    Turn 4: Protect Re-charge countdowns
    Turn 5: Collect Re-charge AP; stun 2 foes with Peggy's blue; down the 3rd un-stunned foe with Peggy's red or your green nuker; damage/down one of the stunned foes with either Peggy's red or your green nuker.

You still have to wait a couple more turns for Peggy's blue countdowns to resolve, but the match is essentially over at this point because your foes are stunned until they do. The countdowns will resolve for 16k damage (this damage gets insane when she's boosted) and decimate your enemy's health.

This is pretty fast, especially when clearing harder nodes in PvE against active opponents and you're trying to keep health pack usage at a minimum. It doesn't always happen that fast - you may start with a yellow starved board, or you might be facing a level 300 Juggernaut with a ton of health, but for the most part this is a pretty quick and effective strategy at the 4-star level of play. If matches do go longer, at least you're just eating match damage because Peggy's passive yellow is stalling enemy powers.

• BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    My top ten is in no particular order, and my top ten is based on who I USE THE MOST, not necessarily who I think are just amazing characters. So with that said; characters like Rogue, who I have champed and think are amazing but don't use much, don't make the list. In the same vein, America doesn't make my list because I don't have her fully covered yet. 

1.) Blade - He and Dr. Strange are still one of my "go-to" pairings for essential nodes with goons. Yes R&G/Gamora/Medusa is amazing, but that is taken away from you when you have to use an essential character. For goons Strange is still an absolute necessity for me, because R&G + Guardian won't always be fast enough to stop multiple cds from resolving on you. While I agree that R&G + Guardian is awesome paired with Strange as well, Blade's strike tile damage can get just as deadly if not worse. 

2.) Rocket & Groot - Couldn't be more of a one-trick pony, but they do that one trick amazingly well. Sure their tiles can get matched away easily, or appear in awful spots that make you match them yourself, but R&G has revolutionized the speed meta. It's a free boost to all forms of damage you do, and thus is a roster staple. R&G/5-Lord/Thanos is the go-to team for all easy nodes. One swipe, game over. Rinse and repeat 12 times in under 5 minutes, and thats how the easy node portion of PVE has gone for me for as long as I can remember now. 

3.) Cloak & Dagger - The most reliable black battery in the game, which instantly makes them a classic pairing with any nukers who use black AP. Pair with R&G/Gamora, and the attack tiles destroy anything, as well as you getting Gamora's black (and possible instakill) off sooner. Pair with Agent Venom and you can spam 5K nukes like crazy. Pair with Vulture and you're generating absurd amounts of AP by ensuring he stays airborne. The list goes on, and is only getting longer. Same goes for anyone who needs yellow, though that list isn't as intimidating. In either case they'd be dangerous with just the black generation and attack tiles, the self-healing, yellow generation, and opponent nerfing are just gravy. 

4.) Medusa - Absolute no-brainer when it comes to any opponents who use special tiles, and with the amount of Daken and Bullseye that we are forced to see, Medusa gets regular exercise on my roster. This isn't even taking into account how much she speeds up your own teams with special tile users. 

5.) Captain Marvel - So many different things that make her dangerous on the right teams. Due to the way the ai plays the game though, you can always anticipate getting some mileage out of her green. The utility of her yellow and black go without saying. I will admit that I don't use her as much in PVE depending on who I'm fighting, but PVP I absolutely can't fight against her without using her myself. 

6.) Mockingbird - Few things are more frustrating to me in this game than when the ai gets a ridiculous lucky streak of match 4/5s, so having someone who can punish them for it is a pretty amazing feeling. Not only that, but her red is incredible and drops most characters as a single target nuke. Love having her with me on tile mover nodes. 

7.) Riri Williams - Her blue is one of my favorite abilities in the game, and is incredibly useful whether you're using it to power her, or battery another red user on the team. I like the double utility of her red, being able to easily dispose of weaker teammates that are generating AP, or really sticking it to a single target. While green is my least favorite of the bunch by far, I have admittedly used it to get myself out of some sticky situations. 

8.) Vulture - Give this guy 6 black AP, make at least 1 black match while he's airborne, and you've got yourself an invulnerable green & blue AP generating monster. Pair him with the aforementioned Cloak & Dagger, and you can keep him almost completely out of harm's way. 

9.) Iceman - A 4-turn stun for 6 AP is already amazing, but to unleash a devastating nuke for only another 6 more makes him quite dangerous. His AOE is also pretty devastating, on par with Red Hulk's when boosted.

10.) Star-Lord - The ability to make your own abilities cheaper is an amazing utility, and it's nice to have nuke who's strength is based on those countdowns being down. Makes him quite dangerous against goons.  
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Peggy is still #1 to me, and my usage backs that up. I may not use her as often as I do Grocket & Gamora (because they're like autopilot for goons, seeds, and easy nodes) but Peggy's a rock star to me when looking at a difficult opponent.

With IM40 and a green nuker behind her, the fight has the potential to be over in turn 5:
    Turn 5: Collect Re-charge AP; stun 2 foes with Peggy's blue; down the 3rd un-stunned foe with Peggy's red or your green nuker; damage/down one of the stunned foes with either Peggy's red or your green nuker.

You still have to wait a couple more turns for Peggy's blue countdowns to resolve, but the match is essentially over at this point because your foes are stunned until they do. The countdowns will resolve for 16k damage (this damage gets insane when she's boosted) and decimate your enemy's health.

This is pretty fast, especially when clearing harder nodes in PvE against active opponents and you're trying to keep health pack usage at a minimum. It doesn't always happen that fast - you may start with a yellow starved board, or you might be facing a level 300 Juggernaut with a ton of health, but for the most part this is a pretty quick and effective strategy at the 4-star level of play. If matches do go longer, at least you're just eating match damage because Peggy's passive yellow is stalling enemy powers.

And this is why she’s not #1. While she needs a 3* character to shine (which can get dangerous in PVP), Vulture and Carol make OTHERS better (while also being beasts on their own). 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited January 2018
    Yeah, i just went up against an all champion Gam5it/Dare5evil/Gladiathor team in simulator with Vulture/G4mora/Medusa. It didn't end well for me after Medusa and G4mora went down and I couldn't keep them stunned any longer, but Vulture hung in there for enough rounds after that that I had Gambit down around 10k health from 45+K. I just ran out of black, and couldn't survive another turn to get back in the air.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu said:

And this is why she’s not #1. While she needs a 3* character to shine (which can get dangerous in PVP), Vulture and Carol make OTHERS better (while also being beasts on their own). 
    Peggy doesn’t need a 3*.  She can collect blue on her own, or there are others in 4* land that can help generate blue.  Since I champed Vulture I never use IM40.  

I think another reason you don’t see her a ton is because she was only in the latest 12 for a short time.  Unless you have her as a BH, chances are she is not one of your highest 4’s.  
  • Daredevil217
    Pants1000 said:
    Dormammu said:

Peggy doesn’t need a 3*.  She can collect blue on her own, or there are others in 4* land that can help generate blue.  Since I champed Vulture I never use IM40.  

I think another reason you don’t see her a ton is because she was only in the latest 12 for a short time.  Unless you have her as a BH, chances are she is not one of your highest 4’s.  
    I mean yeah, she can make 4 blue matches on her own.  But you could say the same about Hulk's powerbomb and Falcon's dive bomb.  They are still all expensive powers and you need a favorable board to pull it off.

And of course she pairs well with Vulture.  Who doesn't?  Vulture and Carol are tops for this reason.  They fuel others, they fuel themselves, and they and they are good both as support characters or as the main piece you build around.  Peggy on the other hand NEEDS other characters to be as good because of her speed. 

The real reason you don't see Peggy is because the (Grocket) meta today is built around speed and passives.  Peggy is a defensive character (who packs an offensive punch boosted) built on slowing matches down by dragging out active abilities.  The game as a whole and the meta currently is around speed and not dragging matches out so she doesn't see use. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    As a 4-star player I don't see using IM40 to speed Peggy up as a negative to Peggy. I have him max-champed and at level 266 he's every bit as good as a 4-star character, and better than a lot of them. He makes Peggy fast, and a fast Peggy is every bit as effective as Vulture or Carol. When I use my Vulture I bring along C&D to speed him up. When I use Carol I bring C&D to speed her up. When I use Grocket I bring Gamora to speed him up. When I use Medusa I bring Carnage to speed her up. When I use Iceman I bring Vulture to speed him up...

It's correct that in the current meta Peggy is not the top dog anymore. But she's still my top dog.
  • Daredevil217
    Dormammu said:
    As a 4-star player I don't see using IM40 to speed Peggy up as a negative to Peggy. I have him max-champed and at level 266 he's every bit as good as a 4-star character, and better than a lot of them. He makes Peggy fast, and a fast Peggy is every bit as effective as Vulture or Carol. When I use my Vulture I bring along C&D to speed him up. When I use Carol I bring C&D to speed her up. When I use Grocket I bring Gamora to speed him up. When I use Medusa I bring Carnage to speed her up. When I use Iceman I bring Vulture to speed him up...

It's correct that in the current meta Peggy is not the top dog anymore. But she's still my top dog.
    I play Vulture on plenty of teams without C&D.  That's just me though.  Even unboosted, if I need a Green/Blue battery I'm playing him.  In fact, I have every boosted 4 champed in the current PVE and am in FIRST playing Riri and an unboosted IM40/Vulture (top two in their tiers).

If you build around Carol, then you bring C&D, but there are PLENTY of teams she works well on that don't utilize them.  Do you remember the Carol/Wasp/Blade team (that still crushed souls)? That team is probably the day the Peggy meta dies actually.  I've also seen many people pair her with a 5 just to use her as a battery for whatever that 5's strongest color is or on other tile buffing teams.

These two are not attached to the hip of a battery to be effective.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited January 2018
    I don't really bring along a black battery for Vulture either; sometimes i do, but generally i like using him to feed somebody else's blue. If that person happens to be Mordo, whose blue will potentially feed back into Vulture's black by creating charge tiles, that's kind of a bonus.

Something I've seen with my low-covered Peggy that I don't see with vulture is that she is great at the beginning of a match, but starts to lose effectiveness as it goes on. Like if You have one enemy left, and Peggy is last one standing below her health threshold, it has been my experience that i'm not pulling that fight out because she can't stun a single target, just their allies. On the other hand with Vulture, as long as you have some black laying around, he is fully effective right up to the end, and since he's doing not-insignifiant AoE damage, odds are good he'll be able to pull an otherwise impossible win out of his back pocket for you

• Killabee
    Killabee Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    While I would put Chavez on her own level currently, I rank 2-7 based on how often I use them not on who's better than who.

1) Chavez - beastly crit tiles, have you used her with gambit or any 5*?
    2) Gamora - always use her for the cheap stun. (Don't have iceman champed)
    3) Medusa
    4) Vulture cause if I didn't have gambit, I'd use vulture all the time
    5) Carol cause she crushes.
    6) Coulson cause he accelerates everything
    7) Riri cause she has 3 awesome skills

• Raud
    Raud Posts: 74 Match Maker
    In my roster:
    Captain Marvel
    Vulture
    Riri
    Medusa
    Cloak & Dagger
    Rocket & Grood + Gamora
    Coulson
    Rogue
    Gwenpool
    Peggy Carter
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    Top 10... Hard task putting together such a list really!
    But I guess something like:

1. Vulture
    2. Riri
    3. Carol
    4 Iceman
    5. Nightcrawler
    6. Chavez
    7. Rocket & Groot
    8. Iron Fist
    9. Coulson
    10. Mockingbird

I'd also like to send my regards to Cloak & Dagger and Deadpool.

No Rogue?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    Anon said:
    mexus said:

1. Vulture
    2. Riri
    3. Carol
    4 Iceman
    5. Nightcrawler
    6. Chavez
    7. Rocket & Groot
    8. Iron Fist
    9. Coulson
    10. Mockingbird

No Rogue?
    I'm not a Rogue fan, no. Been sceptical since I first champed her and barely use her. Healthpack muncher. If I want someone to reduce the damage I'll bring Power Man.

Sounds like you may be using her wrong then. She was all over the Spider-man PvP it felt like, excellent Health pack saver on the climb.

Probably not a great choice for PvE though, but a good Rogue is definitely a deterrent in PvP.

• Daredevil217
    Quebbster said:
    mexus said:
    Anon said:
    mexus said:

1. Vulture
    2. Riri
    3. Carol
    4 Iceman
    5. Nightcrawler
    6. Chavez
    7. Rocket & Groot
    8. Iron Fist
    9. Coulson
    10. Mockingbird

No Rogue?
    I'm not a Rogue fan, no. Been sceptical since I first champed her and barely use her. Healthpack muncher. If I want someone to reduce the damage I'll bring Power Man.

Sounds like you may be using her wrong then. She was all over the Spider-man PvP it felt like, excellent Health pack saver on the climb.

Probably not a great choice for PvE though, but a good Rogue is definitely a deterrent in PvP.

I agree with all this. Mexus was one of the first to comment on Rogue and made it very clear he felt she was overrated. It worried me because I was super excited to champ her and trusted someone who actually had experience playing her over people reading her specs and theorizing. However, I trust my own experience above all else and agree that anyone who doesn’t like her isn’t playing her right. She just does way too much. She’s a finesse character though. Not as point and click as Grocket/Medusa so I can see why people might not mess with her. She’s the ultimate board control character and doesn’t even have a tile swap/conversion. She can shrug off huge nukes, protect squishy characters, generate AP faster that anyone in certain ciscumstances, completely shut out a color for the opponent, has a nuke of her own that is super quick with small feedback damage, and her Red can dispose of any tile while generating 9 AP. Also she’s my favorite teamup to request because you’re guaranteed that Red!

I find Nightcrawler, Coulson, Fist, and Deadpool also VERY interesting choices for a top 12 over character like Peggy, Medusa, Blade, and Rulk.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    Quebbster said:
    mexus said:
    Anon said:
    mexus said:

1. Vulture
    2. Riri
    3. Carol
    4 Iceman
    5. Nightcrawler
    6. Chavez
    7. Rocket & Groot
    8. Iron Fist
    9. Coulson
    10. Mockingbird

No Rogue?

I actually preferred the matches against her since he's quite easy to counter and defeat; make sure she's not in front, use team damage, pop attack tiles out, stun her... Etc.

When using her all she does is jumps in front to soak up the damage. While it's cool that she reduces the damage it kind of evens out due to the fact that she takes approx or at least 50% more hits than the other guys. I've been using her in very many situations to try her out, I champed her almost immediately when she came out.
    What she does best is the siphon thing but I have stated a lot of times I am not interested in her self-inflicted damage (even if it does sick damage to the target as well) - just no - I would rather bring Mockingbird if I want to inflict 15K single damage.
    If I'm using siphon to feed a specific color, let's say blue to Gamora, it's very easy that you collect a bit too much making the self-damage + empty the blue pool.  I mean if you have as much as 2 AP in the pool it's near impossible to siphon it without having things go out of hand.
    Not a fan. Rogue.

That may be the source of our difference of opinion. I like it when she goes BOOM! I mostly use Power Siphon for AP denial, but I certainly don't mind the damage when I get it.

Of course, it may depend a bit on what sort of opponents you fight. I mostly fight fivestar teams in PvP and the extra damage can absolutely come in handy there. Against fourstar opponents, the nuclear option may be overkill.

• talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    mexus said:

1. Vulture
    2. Riri
    3. Carol
    4 Iceman
    5. Nightcrawler
    6. Chavez
    7. Rocket & Groot
    8. Iron Fist
    9. Coulson
    10. Mockingbird

You rate Nightcrawler that high? Im close to be able to champ him but i also got Rogue and Peggy in the same situation and only got ISO to champ one. Most people say that i should focus on Rogue or Peggy but i like to hear why i should chose Nightcrawler :)
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    mexus said:
    talleman said:
    mexus said:

1. Vulture
    2. Riri
    3. Carol
    4 Iceman
    5. Nightcrawler
    6. Chavez
    7. Rocket & Groot
    8. Iron Fist
    9. Coulson
    10. Mockingbird

You rate Nightcrawler that high? Im close to be able to champ him but i also got Rogue and Peggy in the same situation and only got ISO to champ one. Most people say that i should focus on Rogue or Peggy but i like to hear why i should chose Nightcrawler :)
    I seem to be a minority on this but I love Nightcrawler. :) Bamf!
    Bamfinite sounds fun :p Do you know any good partners?
  • Daredevil217
    mexus said:
    I find Nightcrawler, Coulson, Fist, and Deadpool also VERY interesting choices for a top 12 over character like Peggy, Medusa, Blade, and Rulk.
    Iron Fist is a self-accelerating killing machine. Save up a few green for a double smack and finish of with a black - 75% of the enemy team is going down.

Nightcrawler has a very good purple skill. Once it activates you WILL overstock at least one AP pool no matter which color he boils up and the chance of chains, cascades and critical tiles is overwhelming.

Coulson is good for the same reason: his purple will, if you plan it, generate lots of AP in 2 colours and can potentially make a critical tile / set up for a match 5.

Deadpool simply because he's been THE counter for all those Rocket & Groot teams in PVP last couple of Seasons and have for that reason been used more than almost any other of my characters. In the current 4* meta he is amazing.

Peggy? Very good. As long as you have someone to feed her colours so that she can put the blue countdowns out + stun + kill off the third enemy so that he can't destroy her countdowns before they expire.

Red Hulk: My first 4* champ, a very good one for green AoE but haven't used him since: 1. Vulture came along with a better green AoE and 2. I champed Iceman who also have a better green AoE.

Blade is amazing, he is, at least for doing that Bloodlust thing. It's always a bit rough be to have to skip an active red skill immediately though since there are many very good red active skills. 
    His green is a bit overshadowed by very very many other green AoE skills. His black is... Not much.
    I've been using Yondu more lately for that passive damage fix.

Medusa is not much of a good character in her own, she's very situational and in the correct context she completes a very competent team.
    For my frame-of-reference, I have all these characters champed.

Fist suffers from his best build being 5/5/5, so you're always giving up something in the chain.  I admittedly am higher on him than most are, and find him both quick and fun, He's just not better than a lot of characters in his tier and definitely not top 10.  I'd take Nova and Star-Lord over him as off the top of my head examples.

Nightcrawler has one good ability.  Purple.  And that ability, while fun is wildly unpredictable.  It also doesn't boost.  He is also squishy and I find while I can win matches with him and have pulled off some amazing things, I usually need packs.  I feel he will be part of a broken combo down the road but right now I can name 30 characters I'd take over him without hesitation.  He's in the solid tier to me.

Deadpool is not THE counter to Grocket.  He is A counter.  He has an expensive Red, low damage Purple and nowadays is only played for the Black against a specific team.  That is not a top 20 character in my mind.  Have you tried Rulk/Carol/Grocket?  I find that team to be much faster/better than Deadpool against them personally.  And it only costs one healthpack. Thing, X-23 and Medusa also provide counters in their own way. 

Coulson has an awesome Purple and a pretty awesome passive.  But, I can't get behind a guy with two mediocre active abilities being top 10.  I just can't.  I have him just outside top-20 and have him at that Wasp-level support. 

It seems with all your picks (sans Iron Fist) you focus on a single aspect of their kit, or one thing they do well and you then propel them into the top 10 (it's also focused heavily on the Grocket meta).  I can't get behind that when there are so many great 4* who do so many great things.  You didn't even mention Blades passive strikes, or Peggy's increase of opponent powers, or Red Hulk shutting down opponent green, or the other teams Medusa shines on (Carnage anyone?).  I mean the great thing about the internet is we can all have differing opinions, so I respect yours.  I just strongly disagree having tried so many of these characters on so many different teams.