CL9 PVP dedicated thread.

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I mean, I don't usually gun that hard for placement, so I'ma just do 9 for the little bit of extra ISO. I dunno what all the fuss is about.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    CLs are pretty meaningless in PvP, anyway.  Your opponents aren't determined by them at all, so it makes no difference whether I play in 7 or 9 - I'm still going to see people at my MMR and still be recognized by the same rosters.  Ergo, I'll end up with the same overall score no matter which CL I'm in, and it's just a matter of which players' scores I'm competing against.  With no meaningful difference in rewards, you may as well throw dice to decide.  Going lower doesn't make it any more likely to get into T5.
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    They need to make it so that it's restrictive to get into cl9, like must be level 125 or higher, then add better rewards to progression.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    My guess is they want to see how many people play CL9 with no incentive. If plenty of people move over there and they didn't even have to offer any additional rewards, then great (for them) — now they don't have to consider what the appropriate balance of rewards is or this level of roster / SCL development and there's no risk of offering too much and losing control of the speed of development. They can offer nothing or very little and see if we're happy with it, but they can't accidentally offer too much and then revoke it, as that would cause our collective wrath.

My recommendation: don't play CL9, that way they know they need to offer more.
    They kinda force you into it for Season and Simulator though.
    How so?

Calnexin said:
    CLs are pretty meaningless in PvP, anyway.  Your opponents aren't determined by them at all, so it makes no difference whether I play in 7 or 9 - I'm still going to see people at my MMR and still be recognized by the same rosters.  Ergo, I'll end up with the same overall score no matter which CL I'm in, and it's just a matter of which players' scores I'm competing against.  With no meaningful difference in rewards, you may as well throw dice to decide.  Going lower doesn't make it any more likely to get into T5.
    Is that true? I might be mistaken but I notice a definite difference in difficulty between CL6 and CL8 even, and will encounter different strength rosters based on where I am in placement (if I climbed for a progression reward and find myself (albeit temporarily) in the top 10, all of my opponents are stronger. But when I inevitably slide back down in placement I see many more less-developed rosters.
  • Talestummy
    Talestummy Posts: 66 Match Maker
    edited December 2017
    you face the same exact opponents from scl1-9. it all depends on your mmr. 
  • mega ghost
    you face the same exact opponents from scl1-9. it all depends on your mmr. 
    How is that possible though if people pick different SCLs and slices? Are we fighting against people in different SCLs and time slices than us, then? How does that work out?
  • Talestummy
    You fight everyone in the same time slice no matter the bracket or scl. What determines your opponent is your mmr.
  • mega ghost
    edited December 2017
    You fight everyone in the same time slice no matter the bracket or scl. What determines your opponent is your mmr.
    So then the only point in selecting a SCL and time slice in PvP is it determines the group of people you're competing against for placement rewards for that SCL and slice, although it is unlikely the people you're actually facing off against are in either your SCL or slice?
  • Talestummy
    Yes. Exactly.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Sort of exactly.... You'll only see people in your time slice. I play s1 cl9, I only see other people in s1, but I'll see people in any cl in s1, but only s1.
  • Talestummy
    Milkjugz explains it better than me.
  • mega ghost
    Thank you both, I had a very different understanding of how PvP worked. I'm left wondering why they let us choose the the CLs at all if it's arbitrary beyond "I want to go for this set of rewards." Wouldn't we always want to go for the most rewards available to us, i.e. the highest CL open to us?
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Thank you both, I had a very different understanding of how PvP worked. I'm left wondering why they let us choose the the CLs at all if it's arbitrary beyond "I want to go for this set of rewards." Wouldn't we always want to go for the most rewards available to us, i.e. the highest CL open to us?
    Sure, more rewards is always better but the competition for placement might also be higher. You can fight anybody in your timeslice (mir allowing) but the people you compete against on the scoreboard will all be from your CL. People like to spread out a bit to get a better chance at top spots.
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2017
    1st place in CL8 - 2x4* covers, 3x3* covers, 6k ISO, 100 HP, 2CP, 3 Heroic tokens, 3 ELITE TOKENS

1st place in CL9 - 2x4* covers, 3x3* covers, 6.5k ISO, 100 HP, 3CP, 3 Heroic tokens.

Did you guys miss something? Logic?

EDIT : As pointed out it's only 2 4* covers for T1 in CL9. What the tinykitty devs?
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    @mexus

OJ has that right. I'm SR122 and I could have chose CLs 7, 8, or 9. I chose 9 because I (mostly) always choose the highest one available to me.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    You forgot to consider where the other big rosters go play.  The real value of cl9 is gives more 4* placement Opportunity. 

At at the high end, pvp competition is incredibly competive.  Those rosters can consistently make 300 to 400 point shield hops.  So cl9 effective spreads out all the biggest rosters iacross 7-8-9.

many of the shards have tracking rooms,  and those players have informal agreements not to compete in the same leaderboard for t5 placements.  

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    The reality is the rewards need a much bigger increase in PVP to compare with PVE.  The problem is the win based PVP was such a cluster that they need to fix how PVP works before they fix the rewards.  Right now you get more iso, CP and HP for playing higher level PVE.  In PVP you need high placement to get the better rewards and they are still not that much better.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    SCL 9 slice 1 of Squirrel Girl reporting in.  4ish hours left to go, but top 30 all have 1200 points.  I don't think 900 would be good enough for even top 50. 
  • dstann
    dstann Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Wonko33 said:
    This might not be a very popular opinion but what did you guys expect? There is very little increase in difficulty (if at all) for scl 8 and scl9 in PvP (unlike PvE) so why expect to break the bank?
    I normally play SCL8, I forgot about the new SCL9 so accidentally entered SCL9.  I normally get 900+ points and then shield.  If I am lucky I get top 25, but usually that score is good enough for top 50.  With 3 and a half hours left, my score of 924 currently has me ranked at 56.  To me that seems a lot more difficult to get good placement, 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's for Nightcrawler covers, what scores did you 900 and out guys expect?