CL9 PVP dedicated thread.

So now CL9 in PVP has been introduced. I hope it's OK with a stand-alone thread for this even if it's been / being discussed in the Season Update thread! If not, lock it. Also feel free to move it to Events, Tournaments, and Missions if that's more suiting.

Looking at the rewards for CL9 I can't really see that much of a difference from CL8. I expected maybe a 4* in the Season progression or maybe an additional 10-pack (or as well).
Same observations in the SHIELD Simulator. If CL9 truly is for the toppest of the toppy players then it makes no sense throwing in an extra 3* cover here and there. 
Of course I still welcome CL9 - it shows that stuff is moving and maybe we'll get CL10 eventually.
Though, I feel that CL9 in PVE had better things to offer.

Comments

• mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    I noted this is a different thread, but the only difference between CL7 and CL9 (forget CL8) is 750 more ISO at 825 progression points and some minor changes in top placement awards. Someone else pointed out that two other progression levels offered slightly more ISO as well, but all in all the difference is ~1000. That's absurd. 
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Yep, doesn't seem like a huge deal in terms of rewards. Presumably it will help spread out the high scores across more brackets so that will probably help some people place higher. 
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    The "increase" in rewards is a joke!! The only difference from 8 to 9 in the season placement from t1 to t500 (iirc) is a little iso gain. Between 750 at the top end and 500 at the bottom. In progression the same a small increase in iso. Ridiculous!! I agree with @mexus, throw us another 10 pack and/or a 4* in progression!!!
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    CL9 in PVE is great. A massive upgrade to the rewards with the upgrade in difficulty. 

CL9 in PVP is a total joke. It’s insulting. I’ve got all champed 4 stars and multiple champed 5 stars, and I have zero reason to ever even consider playing CL9. 

I’m not one of those posters who lives to complain. I like the vast majority of changes/new stuff you all put in. This is really pathetic though. Devs should be ashamed for putting this garbage out there. 
    Got to agree with this - the reward bump 8 to 9 in pve is very good - the equivalent for pvp is frankly I silting to the element of the game that drives most activity from engaged (aka spending) players 

#BuffSCL9pvprewards
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    It is abundantly clear that D3 wants players in pvp to selectively choose their CL difficulties in order to snipe placement rewards.

I personally don't understand why this was their intention but there's no way they could actually believe the paltry differences between CL7 and CL9 would impact player decisions.   In PvE you've done a reasonably good job to entice vets to play in CL9 over CL7.  That has not been the case at all in PvP and the rewards between the tiers are so close to being identical I have to assume this is intentional.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    When you put SCL 7 next to SCL 9 the only difference in placement is the top 1-10 which get an increase in 4* covers. The placement rewards for both SCL 7 & SCL 9 at rank 11-500 are exactly the same except for a minimal amount of more ISO. That has to be a joke right. Even the progression rewards are the same except again for a little more ISO. So basically SCL 9 was created to cater to the small % of the population that reach top 10 in PVP and have high level rosters and use a lot of HP on Health packs and shields, which they buy HP from the store to get. In turn it all comes down to money for the company as you can see on the many changes they have made recently that echo this sentiment. Even the obvious difference in the way 3* Gambit was nerfed compared to the 5* one has to do with revenue. Since the 5* is still in the Latest Legends store he has to stay strong so people can keep spending money to finish covering him or champing him before it gets moved to the Classics store. Once he leaves that store he will get a more severe nerf along the lines of the 3*. That's just my opinion. I'm just disappointed that the rest of us in ranks 11-500 didn't get an increase in the rewards at least. Even a progression rewards increased would of been nice.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Weren't the SCL 9 PVE rewards really bad at first too and then they adjusted them? I know they don't always deserve the benefit of the doubt, but I'm sure they'll see the complaints and adjust them accordingly.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Scl 9 is very stingy, but it alleviates the pressure on t5 spots in bracket light shards. Which was very needed.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    This might not be a very popular opinion but what did you guys expect? There is very little increase in difficulty (if at all) for scl 8 and scl9 in PvP (unlike PvE) so why expect to break the bank?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Beer40 said:
    Weren't the SCL 9 PVE rewards really bad at first too and then they adjusted them? I know they don't always deserve the benefit of the doubt, but I'm sure they'll see the complaints and adjust them accordingly.
    No.  I'm almost positive SCL 9 PvE released as it is now.  SCL 8 eventually got a boot after 6-9 months of being almost no different than SCL 7.  They've learned so much...
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Daiches said:
    Scl 9 is very stingy, but it alleviates the pressure on t5 spots in bracket light shards. Which was very needed.
    This is my focus as well. They give 4-stars for T10 placement now, which may or may not be out of my reach still. I've made t10 in PVP before when I really busted it, and I believe I've even made t5 before, but it was never something I really did consistently, or tried to. I'll definitely be in CL9 pushing for t10 now as long as the 4-star cover is something useful to me. 

I could complain as well about the laughable incremental increase in rewards, but that's not exactly anything new. A 4-star for the season progression track would have been nice, but I wasn't gonna hold my breath for that. I also wasn't expecting them to do anything about the dead zone of rewards between 7500-10K, because they would then need to overhaul the progression track for all CLs. Not saying it's beyond them, but they wouldn't have done it for CL9 only if it was gonna happen. 
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    If I'm not concerned about placement, is there any downside to playing in CL9?
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    While I agree that the rewards difference is pretty sad, people need to keep a couple things in mind when comparing PvE rewards to PvP. The first is that PvE has only two events a week, as opposed to three a week in PvP, as well as PvP having season rewards on top of regular event rewards. I am too lazy to do the math, but that does mean some additional resources in general that would cause a difference in the reward structures. The second thing to consider is that the developers have to look at the resource distribution in the game holistically. Meaning, while the rewards in PvP overall might not be great compared to PvE, the developers know many top players are not just playing one mode. The total additional resource sinks added to the game always have to be greater than the available resources one can win, or else there would never be a need to spend money once you got to a certain point in the game. The developers probably feel if they increased rewards by too much more, that heavy spenders wouldn't need to buy as much. They could lower PvE rewards and raise PvP rewards to maintain the same balance, but then people would be upset that they took away PvE rewards.

Just a couple things to consider. I do think it is a stupid idea though to add this new CL with almost no new rewards.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Should have at least been a 5CP reward thrown in there to lure people out of 8. What's the point of 9 for season rewards or event rewards, truly?

We'll see how things land, but right now I'm skeptical of this being a positive for the game and community.
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    halirin said:
    Yep, doesn't seem like a huge deal in terms of rewards. Presumably it will help spread out the high scores across more brackets so that will probably help some people place higher. 
    This won't happen.  Currently everyone that plays in SCL8 will start playing in SCL9.  So say there are 5,000 players in SCL8 today - 10 brackets.  Those same 5,000 players will be split among 8 and 9 - still 10 total brackets.  The only difference will be in the final unfilled bracket of the event - now there will be 2 unfilled instead of 1, so only one additional set of rewards is given out - not really much more to go around.

The biggest change is that T6-10 will get a 4* cover now in SCL9.  So if you were shooting for T5 and just missed it - you still get a 4* instead of just the 3s.  Not really much to get excited about compared to the bump from 8 to 9 in PvE.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017

It looks like the devs feel obligated to release a new SCL for PVP when it is released for PVE. The rewards in PVE vary quite a bit between SCL but I cannot see the difference in PVP. I had no idea SCL9 was released for PVP because it looks identical.

Why is the 3* reward still locked up for T50? Why are they being stingy about 3* covers? It should be T100 for SCL8 and T200 for SCL9. Even SHIELD Simulator is the same 25 HP reward and Standard token.. seriously? Come on already! The reward structure needs an overhaul.. again! There is no reason for me to go above SCL7.. none!

• mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    My guess is they want to see how many people play CL9 with no incentive. If plenty of people move over there and they didn't even have to offer any additional rewards, then great (for them) — now they don't have to consider what the appropriate balance of rewards is or this level of roster / SCL development and there's no risk of offering too much and losing control of the speed of development. They can offer nothing or very little and see if we're happy with it, but they can't accidentally offer too much and then revoke it, as that would cause our collective wrath.

My recommendation: don't play CL9, that way they know they need to offer more.