The SHIELD Training will return...

Comments

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wait you didn't spend hundred of dollars to get hulk fully covered and leveled? Shame on you, you don't deserve to play shield training! 
  • cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker

Assuming it is ME Hulk.  Maybe they've thought of this???

Find out when the event rolls. Silly to speculate then get worked up over your own speculation.

Ummm, don't recall being worked up.  Calm as a bomb, me.   ;)

Given that Nightcrawler was the 'gate' the last time around, it's not that much of a leap to assume it will be ME Hulk this time around.  If it is, I agree with Orion, it's a design flaw.  If not, well, that's why I said it was an assumption and allowed for the possibility that the devs already considered this 'issue'.

I've no intention of chasing the Nico cover regardless.  I'll take my ISO and CP and be happy.

Calm and happy.

• byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    I barely playing Training.  I just go in, get the easy rewards, and done.  I can't possibly complete everything, so I don't try, and this further justifies hoarding rewards.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    Taganov said: ... I'm not sure which part of this you're being obtuse about. The fact that Shield Training is paywalled, or that extra covers of a new character that will be required for PvP and other said paywalled events are a big advantage? 
    A "big" advantage? One 4* cover, an LT, some other modest ribs and drabs? It's nice if you can get it, but not much of a competitive advantage.

Those who can regularly complete SHIELD Training aren't outperforming me solely because they completed SHIELD Training. They outperform me all around and will continue to do so, regardless.

Not to mention that anyone who's willing to spend hundreds of dollars to get 2 CP, an LT, and a 4* cover.was likely already spending hundreds on the game and thus already had a much bigger advantage than the minuscule additional advantage they got by adding 2 CP, and LT, and a 4* cover. And if there are players who weren't willing to spend hundreds of dollars but were prompted to do so by the lure of 2 CP, and LT, and one 4* cover (and I doubt there are many, if any), the advantage they gain is almost non-existent.

And I'm not even sure the 4* cover requires spending hundreds, in which case the advantage they're getting is just the 2 CP and LT. There may not be many, but I'm sure there are players that are in top-10 hybrid alliances and I'd imagine that some of them get pretty close to 10 covers before SHIELD training - though again, I'm guessing that most players who get the 4* cover spend to do so and would have spent even without shield training, but maybe I'm wrong and they're making money hand over fist on this.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,737 Chairperson of the Boards
    They’re payin’
    They’re winnin’
    They’re keepin’ the seeerrrveers onnnn...

let them have their free LT and use their champed MEH.  No biggie.  Nico’s just a support character.

If you reeally want MEH you just need to be willing to clear however many vaults you need to get to 10 covers.  About $100 per cover including resets to get the right colors. For me that would be $400. No thanks.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like these as a bonus event, but none of the three required 4* characters should be amongst the Latest 12. That's not rewarding players with deep rosters. If they feel they must pull from this group, at least exclude the 4-6 most recent characters. For the bottom row, fine, cater that to players that rushed to cover the most recent character — meaning the previous most recent character (in this case, ME Hulk), NOT the brand-new character whose cover is being featured in the event.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Taganov said: ... I'm not sure which part of this you're being obtuse about. The fact that Shield Training is paywalled, or that extra covers of a new character that will be required for PvP and other said paywalled events are a big advantage? 

A "big" advantage? One 4* cover, an LT, some other modest ribs and drabs? It's nice if you can get it, but not much of a competitive advantage.

Those who can regularly complete SHIELD Training aren't outperforming me solely because they completed SHIELD Training. They outperform me all around and will continue to do so, regardless.

I don't think its that shield training that makes it hard to get the required covers for the 4star, its that with it comes the x and friends vault.  Previously you could gain 4 covers from the first pve (cl8 or 5 covers if you are cl9 now) if you were 1st, 2 more from pvp if you were top 5 (cl8), 1 from subsequent pve and pvp.  That makes 8 to 9 covers which you can still get if you are cream of the crop (realistically probably 5-6 for the competitive player) and then buy 1-3 40 pack and almost have the character completely covered (I have gotten between 0-6 covers from a 40 pack) and He who must not be named had a video on here where he got 8 covers with  1 40pack.  So, If they had kept the pvp token buying the same, I think most everyone would be ok...its really the x and friends vault that makes it a paywall.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Taganov said:
    Wonko33 said:
    pheregas said:
    Is this the 3rd or 4th iteration of the paywall?
    not much of a wall though- couple tokens, couple CP , 1 4*  nothing exclusive that gives a big advantage.... can probably hop over that one

I guess people just like using coin phrases
    I'm not sure which part of this you're being obtuse about. The fact that Shield Training is paywalled, or that extra covers of a new character that will be required for PvP and other said paywalled events are a big advantage?

I guess if it works for you, it must be fine.
    if you like complaining about minor things go ahead.. your choice

but a paywall implies that progress is stomped or you can't compete unless you pay. If you feel you can't compete because some paying customers got a 4* cover, a few tokens, 4 CP and a handful of ISO, let's just say I don't agree, If that guy has a fully championed 4* that came out a few weeks ago these paltry rewards are not the reason he has an advantage . 
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    I really enjoyed the first run of SHIELD training. You needed 3 older 4*s at a high level to get a free cover. I was disappointed to see the solo character rewards locked, but it wasn't a deal breaker. Way I looked at it was a nice reward to those that improved their rosters and invested in every character. (I recall some complaining about a need to screw up Charlie's Angels.)

I don't care for the newest character being required though. Especially those that aren't in packs. So, I hope it's not ME Hulk. Make it 3 of the least used characters to try and get people to spend iso on them.
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker

STOPTHIS said:
    I don't care for the newest character being required though. Especially those that aren't in packs. So, I hope it's not ME Hulk. Make it 3 of the least used characters to try and get people to spend iso on them.

Just speculating at this point, but since the three required for Rogue were kind of "thematic" (being mutants) I could see a return to that for Nico, with Cloak & Dagger, Hulk (Amadeus), Mordo. The first two are linked directly to the Runaways via comics and Mordo being another magically inclined character.

This wouldn't be great for me necessarily - my Chulk is still woefully undercovered; that's mostly due to my own choices - but I think it would be a fair enough selection.

• waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    It's linked in the main preview post now - 

S.H.I.E.L.D. Training
     (11/30/17) *New Update*
    Feature Characters: Nico Minoru, The Hulk (Main Event), Iron Man (Hulkbuster), Nick Fury
  • Keirain1982
    Keirain1982 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    I'll play what I can, see what I can get and get out.
    That's the way I treat the SHIELD Training.
    If I can't do it, I'm not going to bust a hump spending just to get something that if I'm patient, I'll get anyway.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll play what I can, see what I can get and get out.
    That's the way I treat the SHIELD Training.
    If I can't do it, I'm not going to bust a hump spending just to get something that if I'm patient, I'll get anyway.
    Plan on doing the same.

My only real annoyance with the while thing is the spin that this is a reward type event for vets with large rosters. 

It's not. Absolutely a reward for the most fanatic that 13 cover a new release in a week, spend all their cp to finish them, or just buy their way to a max build. Absolutely a reward in an attempt to incentive p2w on new releases.

But don't belittle the rest of the player base also customers by saying this is a thank you to us for our dedication.

Bleep, its not even mich if a reward for the fanatics and whales at that.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    waywreth said:

S.H.I.E.L.D. Training
     (11/30/17) *New Update*
    Feature Characters: Nico Minoru, The Hulk (Main Event), Iron Man (Hulkbuster), Nick Fury
    Looks like I'll get exactly as far as the last time.  Actually...  Less.  I won't be able to finish the right column nor the MeHulk column.  

I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with a giant armored fist punching holes through a handful of nodes.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll do exactly what I did last time. I'll beat all the nodes I can, and then move onto my next clear in PVE. People need to start appreciating it for extra tokens and ISO rather than something they feel they are entitled to finish. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas said:
    waywreth said:

S.H.I.E.L.D. Training
     (11/30/17) *New Update*
    Looks like I'll get exactly as far as the last time.  Actually...  Less.  I won't be able to finish the right column nor the MeHulk column.  

I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with a giant armored fist punching holes through a handful of nodes.
    Yeah I'll get less.  No where close on MEHulk and not bending over backwards to try, he'll stay at 78.  Nick Fury is one of my few classic non-champs.  I can get the Hulkbuster column though, weeee
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas said:
    FWIW, I still don't have Lockjaw (10), Nightcrawler (7), or MeHulk (4) fully covered and I have every other 4* champed.  Yet I still can't participate.
    You can participate just fine, you just can't complete it.

Neither can I, much like all of the editions prior.  I keep ending up 1 cover short to unlock the 10k iso prize.  Big deal.  
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    With free ISO for collectors (even 100% F2P) i think this event is good.
    It would be cool if we saw it more frequently, but its better than nothing i guess.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    I'll do exactly what I did last time. I'll beat all the nodes I can, and then move onto my next clear in PVE. People need to start appreciating it for extra tokens and ISO rather than something they feel they are entitled to finish. 
    Entitlement...the go-to when trying to shut down. Any criticism.

Can only speak for myself here, but there is no entitlement. I'm perfectly fine not being able to complete the Nico nodes...even the MEHulk to some degree.

It's the disingenuous spin that bothers me (not that I'm raging or losing any sleep over it). This panders to 99.9% of customers, and those are the guys that don't even need the extra rewards for finishing it. Should have put a 5 star reward cover for those that can finish it.

And the worst effect is just the bad will and resentment ipt fosters towards players that cant even get one lousy 4 star cover when they've done the hard work of building their rosters up and still can't get the Nico cause they didn't whale MEHulk, who isn't even available in tokens this time around.

When I first started playing growth industry started. Another extra event just like this one. I couldn't even get past the wave node cause my roster was weak. But I didn't feel a sense of entitlement that I couldn't get the antman cover. I was at least able to try and get it, just wasn't at that point yet. GI was exactly what they've tried to spin ST as, but it is nothing like that.