MPQ at Marvel.com: (Nico Minoru) (11/28/17)

Options

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Seems like 4Cage would be an excellent partner for her.

And her artwork looks amazing!
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dayv said:
    The Runaways series as written by Brian K. Vaughan (also known for the critically acclaimed Image Comics series Saga) and illustrated by Adrian Alphona was great.  All the characters are their creations, but it's fully part of the Marvel universe.  Runaways was cancelled due to low sales after the first year or so, but then revived soon after due to fan response and decent trade sales.  It's available in a few "Runaways: The Complete Collection" trade paperbacks currently in print.  BKV's run goes from volume 1 to about half of volume 3.

i will definitely check out the runaways comic.  Saga is probably my favorite comic ever, so I have high hopes.  Thanks for the recco.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kaeyne said:
    grenadier said:
    So, it can't be just me... Who the heck is Nico Minoru?
    One of Marvel's Runaways (Brian K. Vaughn), which is currently being featured and streamable on Hulu
    Did she exist before that?
    If you mean, did she exist before the Hulu show, then yes.  The Runaways comic debuted in 2003. 
    She was also in A-Force. And the fact that people don't know her is probably the reason that series got cancelled. *sigh*
    I hate, hate, HATE the fact that series got cancelled. I was loving that series so much!

I mean okay the initial Secret Wars run wasn't great (Secret Wars in general was weird since it seemed to want to disregard characters' personalities and just made them whatever the plots required). But the first story of its return was amazing and I was really hoping for more of that Antimatter storyline.

That and I wanted to see how the new She Hulk would integrate into the group...or whether they'd change her up for someone new.

Damn shame that series went away, but having her in the game is a small comfort, I suppose.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    So basically she's a goth girl?

//Removed Inappropriate Content -Brigby
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I can't wait to try and read her in-game power description pages. 
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    People are gonna have to reacquaint themselves with Marvel as the more and more "obscure" but not really obscure titles get tv deals.  New Mutants will probably get an MPQ character too, and I'm gonna partition a percent of my hoard for Madrox's eventual appearance.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    People are gonna have to reacquaint themselves with Marvel as the more and more "obscure" but not really obscure titles get tv deals.  New Mutants will probably get an MPQ character too, and I'm gonna partition a percent of my hoard for Madrox's eventual appearance.
    I hope so. While there's still a handful of classic characters that I think need to be in the game *cough*Namor*cough*, there's a ton of great obscure characters that deserve more limelight. If Nico being in the game gets people to check out BKV's Runaways, that's great. Madrox is high up on my list too and I'd hope it would lead people to check out PAD's X-Factor. I'm hoping the New Warriors show gives us Night Thrasher makes people take a second look at the character. And Dazzler, because Dazzler.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Options
    First we need Kitty Pryde and Captain Britain.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    No, it's not just you.  Never heard of her or the Runaways but I haven't been reading comics for quite some time.  Just a little surprised that they would put out a new character that is so obscure.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Runaways is awesome, going to make sure to Watch the show with the wife. It's good Reading.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    A very inexpensive character to license...
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The Runaways comic book had such a great premise, really enjoyed that. Looking forward to seeing the show.

Nico sounds like she might take a bit of getting used to with all those powers and conditions.

• Keirain1982
    Keirain1982 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Looks like a great support character, but probably one that will get targeted quickly in matches. I have a feeling we're going to be seeing Carnage-Medusa-Nico teams when she's been out a while.
    Also, I think it's good that MPQ are bringing in obscure characters. It makes players aware of other areas of the stories. I had only briefly seen the Runaways mentioned in other Marvel literature, so I didn't know who the characters were. But the storyline itself is a bit different and nice to see.
  • spiderpool
    spiderpool Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    The run aways is actually a pretty good comic,  haven't seen the Hulu show yet.  She might not be super well known,  but nobody knew who star lord or groot were before the movie,  I remember people saying how silly it looked and it was gonna bomb and look how that turned out.  If this Hulu series catches on you might see all sorts of girls dressing as nico for Halloween and claiming to have been fans before she was cool. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The run aways is actually a pretty good comic,  haven't seen the Hulu show yet.  She might not be super well known,  but nobody knew who star lord or groot were before the movie,  I remember people saying how silly it looked and it was gonna bomb and look how that turned out.  If this Hulu series catches on you might see all sorts of girls dressing as nico for Halloween and claiming to have been fans before she was cool. 

I want people dressed as Molly, Karolina and Gertrude too, they are all awesome.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Definitely the first "who?" character I think since Yelena and Hood when I joined, but I also didn't know anything about the Inhumans aside from their names.

Not sure about her power set, but this is how I understand it. Without taking damage she only has an active power to create protect tiles, while she passively buffs protects and passively buffs all tiles. So it sounds like she double dips on protect tile buffing.

After taking damage she has a stun that eats countdowns (not a fan) which also resets her powers, an active true heal that requires protects, and an active that creates one of each A/S/P, and still passively buffs them.

Not too impressed, tho the constant buffing could end up being ridiculous when boosted. Could end up the better 3rd of a Grocket + Gamora team, as soon as you get one attack out its a better team than Medusa.
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Straycat said:
    After taking damage she has a stun that eats countdowns (not a fan) which also resets her powers, an active true heal that requires protects, and an active that creates one of each A/S/P, and still passively buffs them.
    I was under the impression that she removes enemy countdowns, not friendly ones like Kingpin. Might be wrong though.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Straycat said:
    I was under the impression that she removes enemy countdowns, not friendly ones like Kingpin. Might be wrong though.
    Definitely possible, but I assumed it removed friendlies since that would remove her countdown and reset her powers