4,225,060 iso, 16,775 hp and 145 empty roster slots

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,737 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    bluewolf said:

BTW, last time I sat on the couch, no one said “good job!  Keep sitting there and every so often I will make you marginally more comfortable! But first here’s some annoying sounds to listen to.”  To try to make an analogy.  I just sit and relax and get up when I want to.
    Are you competing with 6 other people for 5 places on that couch?
    Between my family and the cat, sometimes, yes.  ;)
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    bluewolf said:
    Bowgentle said:
    bluewolf said:

BTW, last time I sat on the couch, no one said “good job!  Keep sitting there and every so often I will make you marginally more comfortable! But first here’s some annoying sounds to listen to.”  To try to make an analogy.  I just sit and relax and get up when I want to.
    Are you competing with 6 other people for 5 places on that couch?
    Between my family and the cat, sometimes, yes.  ;)

Assert your whale status to keep your place. It's the only answer.
  • OldManWolvs
    OldManWolvs Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    I’m truly inspired. No snark 
  • Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    I understand the OP and would like to be able to dial back a bit, because this game has gone from a fun distraction, to an obligation. Grind out ISO so you don't fall further behind on champions. Make sure you get your 570 points in verses for the 10 CP and to meet your alliance commitments. 

This game is a waste of time, but I've felt that way about many a game. If I'd have spent that time practicing my guitar instead of gaming, maybe I'd...  ...actually be able to play the darn thing?

I'm off this week and have rediscovered the joys of World of Tanks, so story mode is going to see a reduction in play. Maybe I'll make an effort for the new Hulk progression. Maybe not..
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Typically I listen to a science podcast or current affairs programme so I never feel like this game is a waste of time personally. If anything it gets me to sit my bottom down for awhile hah.

How do other people kill time while they play?

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I could never quit this game. What else would I do when I'm struggling with a stubborn number two?
  • thisone
    mexus said:
    thisone said:
    Typically I listen to a science podcast or current affairs programme so I never feel like this game is a waste of time personally. If anything it gets me to sit my bottom down for awhile hah.

How do other people kill time while they play?

Like you do! Or to avoid social contact with lunch hour. Or to wake my eyes up in bed between the sound of the alarm and the panic to rush to work.
    I tired playing while spinning on an exercise bike but that quickly faded. Was a good thought though. I should get it back.
    Oh yeah I did think of getting a treadmill with an iPad fixed into it. Mixing in excercise definitely a good idea!
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2017
    Lucifier said:
    Sandmaker said:
    My main problem with these kind of posts is this whole victim's mentality that if they hadn't been spending all this time on this game, they would have put it to better use. That somehow this game was holding them back from being constructive.

Let's be honest. The type of person who is unable to quit a game without burning his account to the ground is pretty unlikely to have the willpower to convert his free time into something constructive in the first place.

I'm willing to bet that in a couple weeks this guy will be back to "wasting" his time doing something equally trivial. Be it another game, or sitting on a couch watching TV.
    do people have to be constructive 24hrs/day (or any free time they have, should it be constructive).
    from OP I can say this person is constructive, as he mention he play game during work break, he have work/job, so a constructive person in the society.

there isn't anything wrong with wasting time, sitting on a couch watching TV, or playing some games, watching sports, etc.
    That's exactly my point, leisure time is almost by definition a waste of time. Go re-read the OP post. It's all about how much of a waste of time this game is. At the end he goes on about how he made the post to convince people to quit and use their time more "constructively."
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Sandmaker said:
    Lucifier said:
    Sandmaker said:
    My main problem with these kind of posts is this whole victim's mentality that if they hadn't been spending all this time on this game, they would have put it to better use. That somehow this game was holding them back from being constructive.

Let's be honest. The type of person who is unable to quit a game without burning his account to the ground is pretty unlikely to have the willpower to convert his free time into something constructive in the first place.

I'm willing to bet that in a couple weeks this guy will be back to "wasting" his time doing something equally trivial. Be it another game, or sitting on a couch watching TV.
    do people have to be constructive 24hrs/day (or any free time they have, should it be constructive).
    from OP I can say this person is constructive, as he mention he play game during work break, he have work/job, so a constructive person in the society.

there isn't anything wrong with wasting time, sitting on a couch watching TV, or playing some games, watching sports, etc.
    That's exactly my point, leisure time is almost by definition a waste of time. Go re-read the OP post. It's all about how much of a waste of time this game is. At the end he goes on about how he made the post to convince people to quit and use their time more "constructively."
    But what the OP is referring to is when you've gone beyond using your leisure time for it and it's now cutting into other parts of your life and you have stopped being able to pursue doing other pleasurable activities in your leisure time because you find it necessary to dedicate all of it to one thing in order to keep up with that one thing.

It is generally constructive to pursue more than one hobby, and to spend your leisure time focused on more than one thing. It tends to make you a happier more well-rounded person.

So, yes. I doubt that s/he is going to spend their time being a lot more constructive in terms of being productive or keeping up with the laundry. But I'm betting they will be more constructive in finding another game that doesn't take up *as much* time as this one does (even as a grinder), and hanging out with friends and maybe even some social networking at work during their break instead of being glued to the phone.

----------------------

That said, towards the OP's original points.

1) I'm not dinging anyone for spending thousands on this game.... if you have thousands to spend. Your discretionary money is there to do as you please and if this is what gives you pleasure then have at it and thank you for helping keep the lights on for this game I also enjoy.

2) While there have been several QoL improvements in terms of lowering the amount of daily time NECESSARY to play in order to maintain and then progress with your roster, etc. there have also been a number of backslides. By that data point, I do also find the demands for a daily play game to be excessive. I was within inches of quitting myself when the SCL scaling was introduced and it stopped me from that. But now there's creepage back in that direction due to the changes around 5* implementation and how it's working its way into the game in PVE mode.

I continue to think that the game has serious drawbacks in terms of needing a really good big picture person to be able to really accurately assess player needs, game requirements (of player and of game), and player behavior and satisfaction level based on those. Some of the issues are with players who seem to want any change to immediately simplify the game by a great margin and I've seen a lot of that in reaction to changes, or what players want to change. But a lot of it is on the dev team and what the game setup they have designed requires of players in order to "keep up" if they're doing more than playing completely casually and I think towards that, the OP has said some really valuable things.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Back in the day when the "ville" games were all the rage, I had the same sudden realisation. "Wait, why am I doing this again?"

That moment when Castleville slows to a crawl because everything you want to do takes 8, maybe 16, maybe 48, maybe 72 hours to complete. And the only way to keep up with the content is paying to skip.
    Same thing with Mafia Wars. I'd done basically everything in that game and had to grind out every few hours for what little content was left.

Then it hit me "Why am I doing this?" and when I can't think of an answer I just stopped and never looked back.

I know I'll hit that point with MPQ at some point, but I'm not there yet. I still enjoy the game, I enjoy the feeling of progression and I personally don't think my relationship with the game is unhealthy (I have maybe spent £100 on it in 4 years. Certainly nothing close to £1000). I don't play more than I feel comfortable with, if I get bored I just stop for a while.

But if the TC has hit that point and decided to decisively stop, then good for him! Making the bold decision to sell everything off was a really good idea. The sunk-cost fallacy is very strong with games like this. "But if I sell it, all that work will have gone to waste! I'll keep it as a monument to my sins". Cutting the ties completely is the best way to let go.

Good luck, dude!
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    D4Ni13 said:
    Let me be the bad guy, and help you overcome one addiction with another. If you are still in the superheroes genre, Injustice 2 for Mobile is pretty interesting. Somewhat similar concept, but there you actually fight (Mortal Kombat style) and it seems to not be so much grind. Of course, it's DC and not Marvel, but it seems lighter and could serve as a casual game. Cheers :)
    Not sure where the flag came from lol, maybe for promoting DC?

I also would recommend Injustice 2 as an easy time killer if you are a fan of comics.  It has a very deep campaign with a normal and hard difficulty, a little bit of a story that they are piecing in from the main game, and a ton of easy ways to get characters. 

It has the energy clock like some other games, but it also has an in game currency that is rather easy to obtain freely that lets you auto-complete matches. So progress is made even though i only play 15 minutes a day.

Secondly, their version of "pvp" is also against computer controlled versions of other players, but their trick is that you pick your team first, then it pairs you up against comparable opponents. So from that aspect, i enjoy it.  
  • animaniactoo
    Back in the day when the "ville" games were all the rage, I had the same sudden realisation. "Wait, why am I doing this again?"

That moment when Castleville slows to a crawl because everything you want to do takes 8, maybe 16, maybe 48, maybe 72 hours to complete. And the only way to keep up with the content is paying to skip.
    Same thing with Mafia Wars. I'd done basically everything in that game and had to grind out every few hours for what little content was left.

Then it hit me "Why am I doing this?" and when I can't think of an answer I just stopped and never looked back.

I know I'll hit that point with MPQ at some point, but I'm not there yet. I still enjoy the game, I enjoy the feeling of progression and I personally don't think my relationship with the game is unhealthy (I have maybe spent £100 on it in 4 years. Certainly nothing close to £1000). I don't play more than I feel comfortable with, if I get bored I just stop for a while.

But if the TC has hit that point and decided to decisively stop, then good for him! Making the bold decision to sell everything off was a really good idea. The sunk-cost fallacy is very strong with games like this. "But if I sell it, all that work will have gone to waste! I'll keep it as a monument to my sins". Cutting the ties completely is the best way to let go.

Good luck, dude!
    Also because of the requirement of "friends" to get all your parts from and be able to send to and etc. and if you had to work well man it sucked to be you.

There went Farmville, FrontierVille, Chefville (which started out with the declared statement that this was going to be a game you DIDN'T need to babysit! The only reason I started another Z game after having burned out on the others! That didn't last long...), etc.

In general, for me, the first day I just shut down and don't play because I don't want to that day is the beginning of the end. If I actually put the game down, I've stopped having fun and the desire to pick it back up wanes. The only reason I ever tried to pick it back up was because of who I was playing with and even that wasn't reason enough within a month.
  • Addaran
    Addaran Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Good on the OP for knowing when it's time to quit.

What i find funny is how 24h per week seems so much to him. There was a game i was completly addicted, i used to play 5h per week day and even more during the weekend. There was specific a few specific high end raid (very hated) that took around 6h-7h in one shot to do, even more if something went wrong ( wich pretty much always happenned, you always had quitters for stuff this long).

I absolutly needed all the badges ( over 1200+) and spend countless hours farming for them.

It's been almsot 5 years since that game was shut down, and i still feel sadness when i think about it.

I really miss City of Heroes/Villains. =(
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    ... "Why am I doing this?" and when I can't think of an answer I just stopped and never looked back...I know I'll hit that point with MPQ at some point, but I'm not there yet.

Y'know, if playing a PvE hardcore didn't give you that feeling, you should have gotten it the next time that same PvE rolled around .... and definitely by the 3rd ... much less the 17th :D

Cutting the ties completely is the best way to let go.

Is it, though? Does a person learn anything by taking that way out? I would think that learning to master the tendency that got one in so deep in the first place would be more instructive. What's needed is not rash action but more self-discipline to go with the self-awareness, and maintenance of heightened self-awareness going forward.
  • thisone
    ... "Why am I doing this?" and when I can't think of an answer I just stopped and never looked back...I know I'll hit that point with MPQ at some point, but I'm not there yet.

Y'know, if playing a PvE hardcore didn't give you that feeling, you should have gotten it the next time that same PvE rolled around .... and definitely by the 3rd ... much less the 17th :D

Is it, though? Does a person learn anything by taking that way out? I would think that learning to master the tendency that got one in so deep in the first place would be more instructive. What's needed is not rash action but more self-discipline to go with the self-awareness, and maintenance of heightened self-awareness going forward.
    Very Zen. Buddhist?
  • animaniactoo

I think s/he's got the self-awareness s/he needs here. His/her method of discipline is to make it impossible to return to the game. That's an entirely valid path that demonstrates self-awareness of what it's going to take to stop their particular hamster wheel. If they walked away with any lesson from this, I would imagine it's to be able recognize when a game is reaching that point for them sooner and walk away from the whole thing sooner.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards

With regards to the first part, I play CL7, which is punching below my weight a bit. I can do a full clear in about an hour, which is fast enough for me. If I was mandated to play CL9, the highest I can go to, I'd have already stopped doing PvE. I found CL8 enough of a chore as it was.

With the second point, why does something need to be learned beyond "This isn't healthy for me"?
    If you decide to quit smoking, for example, the best thing to do is not leave any packs of cigarettes laying around.

I think smply realising you've gotten addicted to something can be enough to make you warey in the future. I know I have an addictive personality so I stay away from stuff that could exploit that. I keep MPQ in check as I go.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    I could never quit this game. What else would I do when I'm struggling with a stubborn number two?
    More fiber and water, dude.
  • Mordee
    Mordee Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Wait, so 7 days x 3 hours is 24 hours?  <:

Yeah, I hear you man.  I had to uninstall my game too.  This became a part time job.  I was fortunate with 5* Thanos, but when they introduced the 5* nodes, I gave up. 

I don't know how long you were playing, but it is now to find another game to sink into. 

All the best. 
This discussion has been closed.