4,225,060 iso, 16,775 hp and 145 empty roster slots

Thats what was left after selling all of my roster.  And now the game has been uninstalled.

Its been dawning on me, slowly, that this game just isnt good for me.  And that the developers certainly dont care for me as a human being, only a potential financial resource.

Ive already dialled back my play considerably.  It hit me at one point that I was spending 3 hours a day on MPQ.

24 hours - ONE FULL DAY - out of every week.  Matching coloured tiles so that comic book characters could make attacks against each other.  Upward of 60 matches a day.

Ridiculous, isnt it?

Since then, with recent changes, its become clear just how deep into MPQ some people have sunk.  Talk of spending thousands, genuinely, has disgusted me - and made me worry for those involved.  Talk of how to play.  The way people are just far too invested...

Its been weighing on me.  So Im out.

Why did I sell my entire roster?  MPQ is insidious.  It worms its way into your life, becomes such a habitual part of it that it almost serves as an addiction.  Quite honestly, if I just uninstalled - theres every chance Ill re-install and carry on in a while.  Selling removes that option.  Now this is conclusive.

I know, even if only subconsciously, that I schedule my day around this game - and the times it demands I play.  At 11 I take a break at work.  Not because I need a break, but because I need to hit DDQ.  At lunch I play PVP, not because I want to.  At around 9pm I play PVE (final clears before new nodes at 10pm), so lunch is the only time I get to hit PVP...  You see how it is?

I have(had) a roster of 145.  All 5* except thor, All 4* except Hulk (half champed), all 3* (champed), all 2* - farming.

And for what?  All in service of playing extreme amounts of a childs game in the service of collecting more covers.

This isnt a response to the PVP rollback, rather a response to many changes over time, and the attitude they show.

There is, potentially, an amazing game in there somewhere.  I have no faith in the devs ever realising that though, they have proven they dont have it in them.

This isnt high drama, Im not looking for masses of attention.  And, this being the internet, Ive no doubt there will be many a snarky remark left behind.

Why am I posting, instead of just leaving?

For the small chance someone might read this and make a change themselves.

That is all.  If someone reads this, identifies, and moves on from MPQ to something more constructive - this post was well worth it.

For all those that will delight in putting me down, taking offence, or commenting on some perceived weakness in this post - go for it.  I hope the game makes you happy, and I hope when the day comes that you find it doesnt quite bring you joy that you are able to ditch it and move onto other things.

Until then, enjoy.

Comments

• aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    I believe you've made the right choice. Once a game is not fun for you anymore, it is the time to move on. There are plenty of good games out there that you can enjoy. Good luck out there. :)

PS: Say hi to 'aa25' if you run into me in other games. Not sure if my ign is unique enough though. lol.
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Congrats on the escape. I should do the same, but I'm not quite there yet.

Enjoy the returning 3 hours a day. Hopefully whatever you fill them with will be more enjoyable or at least fulfilling.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    lol I remember when one of the mods rage quit and did a deletion video.  Miss those from the old days
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    i know i shouldn't play as much as i do. i tried to get out once. not quite there yet.
  • Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2017
    With the changes to PvP I'm considering the same. I don't know what the end game is but having at least rostered everyone (not even close to all max changed) I'm about there too. Finishing the collecting of covers for toons I don't even play because they are well below the meta doesn't excite me at all. 
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Only 3 hours a day? Weekdays I easily spend 4-5 hours. An hour during each way during my commute to/from work. Then roughly 2-3 hours before I sleep grinding/clearing pve. 
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    @Moon Roach
    Hilarious
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    I had the same feeling playing Crime City. It became a chore and bc of the syndicate stuff it took a lot of time, at sometimes most inopportune times (different time zones etc). Glad i deleted that game.
    Even though i spend quite some time on this game too, this game feels more comfortable should i miss a day/event/reward. Also, MPQ isnt victim of the stat inflation that wrecked CC. If you'd miss a month of play, you can pick it up again without much trouble
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    sh81 said:
    Thats what was left after selling all of my roster.  And now the game has been uninstalled.

Its been dawning on me, slowly, that this game just isnt good for me.  And that the developers certainly dont care for me as a human being, only a potential financial resource.

Ive already dialled back my play considerably.  It hit me at one point that I was spending 3 hours a day on MPQ.

24 hours - ONE FULL DAY - out of every week.  Matching coloured tiles so that comic book characters could make attacks against each other.  Upward of 60 matches a day.

Ridiculous, isnt it?

Since then, with recent changes, its become clear just how deep into MPQ some people have sunk.  Talk of spending thousands, genuinely, has disgusted me - and made me worry for those involved.  Talk of how to play.  The way people are just far too invested...

Its been weighing on me.  So Im out.

Why did I sell my entire roster?  MPQ is insidious.  It worms its way into your life, becomes such a habitual part of it that it almost serves as an addiction.  Quite honestly, if I just uninstalled - theres every chance Ill re-install and carry on in a while.  Selling removes that option.  Now this is conclusive.

I know, even if only subconsciously, that I schedule my day around this game - and the times it demands I play.  At 11 I take a break at work.  Not because I need a break, but because I need to hit DDQ.  At lunch I play PVP, not because I want to.  At around 9pm I play PVE (final clears before new nodes at 10pm), so lunch is the only time I get to hit PVP...  You see how it is?

I have(had) a roster of 145.  All 5* except thor, All 4* except Hulk (half champed), all 3* (champed), all 2* - farming.

And for what?  All in service of playing extreme amounts of a childs game in the service of collecting more covers.

This isnt a response to the PVP rollback, rather a response to many changes over time, and the attitude they show.

There is, potentially, an amazing game in there somewhere.  I have no faith in the devs ever realising that though, they have proven they dont have it in them.

This isnt high drama, Im not looking for masses of attention.  And, this being the internet, Ive no doubt there will be many a snarky remark left behind.

Why am I posting, instead of just leaving?

For the small chance someone might read this and make a change themselves.

That is all.  If someone reads this, identifies, and moves on from MPQ to something more constructive - this post was well worth it.

For all those that will delight in putting me down, taking offence, or commenting on some perceived weakness in this post - go for it.  I hope the game makes you happy, and I hope when the day comes that you find it doesnt quite bring you joy that you are able to ditch it and move onto other things.

Until then, enjoy.

Let me be the bad guy, and help you overcome one addiction with another. If you are still in the superheroes genre, Injustice 2 for Mobile is pretty interesting. Somewhat similar concept, but there you actually fight (Mortal Kombat style) and it seems to not be so much grind. Of course, it's DC and not Marvel, but it seems lighter and could serve as a casual game. Cheers :)
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    Well, let me add this (for what is worth).
    I have been in the same alliance wit sh81. 
    He has been a good player and a good mate.
    I am sad for my alliance but happy for him because he just realized that this game was not worth is time...anymore.
    Wish him good luck  ;)  
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2017
    My main problem with these kind of posts is this whole victim's mentality that if they hadn't been spending all this time on this game, they would have put it to better use. That somehow this game was holding them back from being constructive.

Let's be honest. The type of person who is unable to quit a game without burning his account to the ground is pretty unlikely to have the willpower to convert his free time into something constructive in the first place.

I'm willing to bet that in a couple weeks this guy will be back to "wasting" his time doing something equally trivial. Be it another game, or sitting on a couch watching TV.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,737 Chairperson of the Boards
    It is hard to avoid feeling judged, even when that is no one’s intent, when someone decides that an activity you enjoy is “bad” or a waste of time.  Doubly so if you sometimes think the activity IS a waste of time.

As much as I enjoy the game, I sometimes feel bad when I go for PVE placement and end up 11th or so.  Like, wow, that was a lot of time for some 3* covers and some CP which may just be champ level 377 for some 4*.  Or at the end of the day, you think, what did I accomplish? And realize you played MPQ a lot, and not much else.

OP isn’t saying stop playing exactly. He is saying to make sure you are comfortable with what you are doing with the game.  But he definitely could have picked a less reductive way to describe the game.

BTW, last time I sat on the couch, no one said “good job!  Keep sitting there and every so often I will make you marginally more comfortable! But first here’s some annoying sounds to listen to.”  To try to make an analogy.  I just sit and relax and get up when I want to.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:

BTW, last time I sat on the couch, no one said “good job!  Keep sitting there and every so often I will make you marginally more comfortable! But first here’s some annoying sounds to listen to.”  To try to make an analogy.  I just sit and relax and get up when I want to.
    Are you competing with 6 other people for 5 places on that couch?
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    sh81 said:

24 hours - ONE FULL DAY - out of every week. 

Ridiculous, isnt it?

Talk of spending thousands, genuinely, has disgusted me - and made me worry for those involved. 

MPQ is insidious.  It worms its way into your life, becomes such a habitual part of it that it almost serves as an addiction.  

I know, even if only subconsciously, that I schedule my day around this game - and the times it demands I play. 

At around 9pm I play PVE (final clears before new nodes at 10 

I have no faith in the devs ever realising that though, they have proven they dont have it in them.

Ive no doubt there will be many a snarky remark left behind.

No snarky remark from me pal. It's one of the best posts ever written in this forum.

I've highlighted my best bits. (see above)

For the majority of the reasons you highlight especially the time needed to play.
    I now only play the CP node In Deadpool Daily.

The mindless repetition of pve and the hopelessness of pvp has done me in.
    I seem to be hanging in and praying  for some positive change.

However, as you highlighted they just don't have it in them and for me that's a major cause for concern.

All the best in your future SH81

This discussion has been closed.