Can we have a good green Hulk please?

Options
13»

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dayv said:
    There's a lot of luck involved in that green passive...  My first SHIELD Training match with his green at five made an excellent showing for him.  The initial tile destruction cause a decent cascade that provided 4 yellow, 4 TU, 3 black, and 1 each of red, blue, and green.  The double tile swap seemed to be more than twice as good as the single random swap of Devil Dino, since the two resolve at the same time.  It made a match about half of the time, and once it made two match 3s simultaneously, both in blue.  I'm sure this is way better than average, but the first impression was really improved.
    Yeah, powers that are that high-variance (like pretty much every random tile destruction power out there) tend not to be rated as "good", though, since some of the time they can do essentially nothing. Plus in general, increased randomness is bad for the player, while decreased randomness is good (right, Gambit?)

The best ones are frequently the cheapest, so you can fire them a bunch and get the average result in fewer turns. Grand Entrance is at least a passive, so you're not spending AP to potentially do nothing. So I guess that's something. On the other hand, you can't spam it.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm finding Main Event to be better than anticipated - his passive isn't terrible, and yellow is downright deadly if you have some strikes out - you generally get a decent number of AOE effects out of it.

Maybe not a top tenner, but my general rule is that if I find the loaner to be somewhat useful, they did something right.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yea the yellow is definitely better than expected still pricey but and he is a little slow but he is looking better the more I play with him.  He is not a game changer but he is going to be a very useful character.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,860 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    His green is tricky - it has already cost me some match 5's with the swap but it does have the occassional cascade.

His purple is expensive, only managed to fire it once so far as a loaner so hard to judge how effective that will be without some sort of AP acceleration.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    I'm not sure he's bad. I'm not sure he's fine, either. His green passive gives me pause, as it could really derail teams that require a degree of board control (i.e. tile generators). But then again it might work really well with tile spammers (Cardusa). Gamma Powerbomb sounds like it could be very... offensive, but at 14 AP how often are you going to get it off? Maybe with Switch or a Gambat...
    I've found that he plays very well with Silver Surfer and Black Bolt.  With both of them charging random/most-common tiles with red and passive black, respectively, they complement the random, general AP acceleration style of HulkME, and Surfer's blue can be used to charge purple or any other color that suits your needs and the current board state.  Even a single charged purple tile you collect drops the number of purple matches needed by one.  With this trio, I was able to get to 14 purple much faster than you might expect -- and when I did fire it I not only had 5/6 colors covered for 5* damage, I had a bunch of charged tiles scattered around to make things even more devastating.

This Hulk's whole design is based around feeding random AP to the whole team -- you want a broad set of abilities to make use of that.  Green makes random matches (sometimes, way better at 5 covers), yellow of course has a 1 in 3 chance per tile per turn to generate 2 AP directly, and even his purple attack is incredibly unlikely not to make a few, often many matches immediately for big damage and still more AP collection and cascades.  There are teams that works well for, and there are teams where it's a total waste.

Now what I'd like to know is why he and Amadeus Cho still can't be played together, because that sounds like fun, too.  I know when they introduced TAHulk, they made them incompatible because the two were not Hulks at the same time in the comics, but this is a game where we can run Black Widow in her campy '60s alongside Captain Marvel in her 21st century redesign and then toss classic '80s XMen into the mix as well.  This isn't like 4* Thor and the other Thors, where the person in the role is different but there's only one mystic uru hammer Mew-Mew.