Can we have a good green Hulk please?

Options

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Main Event looks like trash for the 4* tier, but with 5*s that purple is a game ender. 5 random crits will almost certainly kill somebody, not to mention the ensuing board shake.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,860 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So hello Hulkbat.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,040 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    His purple looks insane. ESPECIALLY with a 5* on the team. 

His yellow?..... uhhhh..... guess I’ll have to play with him to find uses. 
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Unless there is true healing on the yellow it looks bad.  2 extra matches a round from the green (if I am reading it right) might be very interesting.  Purple is starting to look good.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Unless there is true healing on the yellow it looks bad.  2 extra matches a round from the green (if I am reading it right) might be very interesting.  Purple is starting to look good.
    You are not reading it right. It is two random tile swaps, a la Prehistoric Arms. Occasionally does make a match, for which you do deal damage and receive AP. MORE commonly (or seemingly so) it matches away your own CD tiles from Crowd Favourite. At least they're fortified.

5 covers in Crowd Favourite amounts to 5 tiles, counting down 3 times each, for a total of 15 effects. On average you'd expect 5 of each, which would be roughly 2700 team damage (before strikes), 5000 self-burst-healing, and 10 random AP. Not terribly exciting, although he should combo with Coulson pretty well; as written the tiles will proc when they tick down, not just at the start of your turn. (plus you'll get that extra two AP when they expire). Shame about the color overlap. Blade might make a decent 3rd for that team; you'll want full color coverage as explained below.

The actual problem with CF is that you'll randomly get that burst healing even when Hulk is at full health, and some of the time all 5 tiles will give you burst healing on your turn. You can also end up getting a bunch of AP in colors you can't use, so a team with an active in each color (or at least a team that cares about having AP in each color) is strongly recommended. 
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Just used hulk in the shield training, what a disappointment. he's 553 and his green tile swap never made a match, in fact it screwed me many times by taking away good matches. Yellow is underwhelming. purple is his best ability, caused good damage and some nice cascades. Obviously great with 5*'s, but...14ap so only gonna get it off once per match. So far red Hulk is the best of the bunch.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Main event hulk + rocket + gamora May mean you can beat seed teams or easy PvE matches without even making a move
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,860 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So fail again. Seriously, why is Hulk so hard to get right?!?!? And why would you have him have a power that gives out better healing than it does damage?!?!? I know Hulk does heal but it isn't the Main Event power wise for him, is it?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    So fail again. Seriously, why is Hulk so hard to get right?!?!? And why would you have him have a power that gives out better healing than it does damage?!?!? I know Hulk does heal but it isn't the Main Event power wise for him, is it?
    It's higher numbers, but is it better? You can't win a match by healing yourself, but you can win a match through small team damage.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It seems to me the obvious power for Hulk was missed from the outset.  Hulk should be a character you do not want to fight in Versus because he should take absolutely forever to go down.  A passive power that reduces damage to him, like 3* Colossus, would have been perfect.  At its max, imagine damage to Hulk reduced by 80%.  I'd skip right past that kind of Hulk.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
     At its max, imagine damage to Hulk reduced by 80%.  I'd skip right past that kind of Hulk.
    Yeah they'd never make that power. I mean, Rogue takes 75% reduced damage (and not even from everything), but only if you don't take her teammates down first. But you're talking 5x longer to take him down, never mind the fact that he has huge health.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Why does everyone think 4Hulk is bad? He's fine.
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Anon said:
    Why does everyone think 4Hulk is bad? He's fine.
    "Fine" is just not enough for a Hulk, that's why people complain.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm not sure he's bad. I'm not sure he's fine, either. His green passive gives me pause, as it could really derail teams that require a degree of board control (i.e. tile generators). But then again it might work really well with tile spammers (Cardusa). Gamma Powerbomb sounds like it could be very... offensive, but at 14 AP how often are you going to get it off? Maybe with Switch or a Gambat, but I really don't think Gambit will go too much longer without a rebalance to his AP generation and if you have to tag Switch along it's going to limit team composition. I don't know what to make of his yellow yet, but it seems optimally used as a healing utility rather than damage. I'd like to see what it looks like on a champed Hulk.

It just seems like we got another Hulk that can't do what the Hulk does - smash things to pieces with little effort. We (the playerbase and Hulk fans) don't need all these Hulks with tricky mechanics. We just want a character with 2-3 damage nukes that don't cost a gazillion AP.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    I'm not sure he's bad. I'm not sure he's fine, either. His green passive gives me pause, as it could really derail teams that require a degree of board control (i.e. tile generators). But then again it might work really well with tile spammers (Cardusa). Gamma Powerbomb sounds like it could be very... offensive, but at 14 AP how often are you going to get it off? Maybe with Switch or a Gambat, but I really don't think Gambit will go too much longer without a rebalance to his AP generation and if you have to tag Switch along it's going to limit team composition. I don't know what to make of his yellow yet, but it seems optimally used as a healing utility rather than damage. I'd like to see what it looks like on a champed Hulk.

It just seems like we got another Hulk that can't do what the Hulk does - smash things to pieces with little effort. We (the playerbase and Hulk fans) don't need all these Hulks with tricky mechanics. We just want a character with 2-3 damage nukes that don't cost a gazillion AP.
    The damage portion of The Crowd Goes Wild should work well with Strike tiles (from someone else), although unpredictably (some turns you'll just get 4 AP and a bunch of overhealing). Drax could help here.

The wording also seems to indicate that he should work well with Coulson or Sam Wilson counting down the tiles, which should make them trigger faster (and Coulson will make some AP as the expire as well; shame about the cover overlap). Also, bring out those Snarky Remark team-ups.

Agree that Powerbomb should do some damage, but 14 AP is a lot. (But hey, it's better than Smash, right?) Possible combo with Mockingbird there; a free, early Gamma Powerbomb should end the match pretty fast. (also, 50/50 with Fastball Special, and 1 AP cheaper XD)
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:

The damage portion of The Crowd Goes Wild should work well with Strike tiles (from someone else), although unpredictably (some turns you'll just get 4 AP and a bunch of overhealing). Drax could help here.

The wording also seems to indicate that he should work well with Coulson or Sam Wilson counting down the tiles, which should make them trigger faster (and Coulson will make some AP as the expire as well; shame about the cover overlap). Also, bring out those Snarky Remark team-ups.

Agree that Powerbomb should do some damage, but 14 AP is a lot. (But hey, it's better than Smash, right?) Possible combo with Mockingbird there; a free, early Gamma Powerbomb should end the match pretty fast. (also, 50/50 with Fastball Special, and 1 AP cheaper XD)
    While it sucks for a planning perspective, I actually like this move because unpredictability seems to be part of Hulks MO.  This way they at least did it without the unpredictability begin which team is he gonna hurt worse, which could also be very Hulk...
  • Anon
    Options
    So is the negative sentiment towards 4Hulk because he's bad, or because he doesn't fit your idea of what a Hulk should do?

Genuinely asking. Powerwise I don't think he's bad at all. How he measures up as "The Hulk" is an entirely different topic.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    Anon said:
    Genuinely asking. Powerwise I don't think he's bad at all. How he measures up as "The Hulk" is an entirely different topic.
    He's certainly not the worst 4*. But he's probably not going to make top 10 either, which I assume is what people were hoping for.
  • Anon
    Options
    Anon said:
    He's certainly not the worst 4*. But he's probably not going to make top 10 either, which I assume is what people were hoping for.
    That is something I can understand. He's not what "Hulk" is, ok fine. My problem is people saying he's terrible. He isn't terrible, he's pretty good. 
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanos said:
    Just used hulk in the shield training, what a disappointment. he's 553 and his green tile swap never made a match, in fact it screwed me many times by taking away good matches. Yellow is underwhelming. purple is his best ability, caused good damage and some nice cascades. Obviously great with 5*'s, but...14ap so only gonna get it off once per match. So far red Hulk is the best of the bunch.
    There's a lot of luck involved in that green passive...  My first SHIELD Training match with his green at five made an excellent showing for him.  The initial tile destruction cause a decent cascade that provided 4 yellow, 4 TU, 3 black, and 1 each of red, blue, and green.  The double tile swap seemed to be more than twice as good as the single random swap of Devil Dino, since the two resolve at the same time.  It made a match about half of the time, and once it made two match 3s simultaneously, both in blue.  I'm sure this is way better than average, but the first impression was really improved.

And yeah, you're really going to want a full rainbow team, since both yellow and green provide random AP when they manage to do it.