Comments

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dax317 said:
    Borstock said:
    sh81 said:
    sh81 said:
    Blade just hit 266 today, so I’ll have to decide how to handle that soon. 
    The General concensus seems to be that its sensible to roster a dupe before you hit 266.  That way if your dupe ends up ?/?/5 you dont face the potential of losing the 6th cover.

I went a bit early, most say around 260 but I rostered some before, simply because I had the HP at the time so bought the slots.
    This is not a general consensus, just a good way to avoid cover loss due to poor RNG.  Personally I'd rather have the 266 on my roster, and the champ rewards than take a small risk of having to sell a couple 3* covers later. I've flipped several 266s now and I think I have only had to sell one 3* cover ever due to poor RNG.  Saves time managing the roster as well.
    I thought it was, read the exact point on here many times.

Personally Im not in a rush for the last few rewards, I know they are coming regardless.  The lost covers would grate on me more, especially as its completely avoidable.

Personal preference of course.
    Allow me to quote @Dax317:

"The biggest misconception that I see on a daily basis, especially on this forum, is that there is only ONE RIGHT way to play this game. You have to do it these certain pre-determined ways or you are wrong. I think that is what your post is really all about doing things the way that makes the game fun and enjoyable for yourself and not doing it the way of "Keeping up with the Jones". This is most prevalent when someone with a different point of view or suggestion from the norm gets attacked by the masses. For example, some one stated that selling anything but a 1 star roster was wasted. I said that was incorrect, because you received iso for said cover. I was set upon for stating my opinion. I said just different ways of looking at the same issues but others did the same thing. I understand the human condition to think our way is the right way, but one must understand there is more than one way to do most things. This game is no different. Find the way that you enjoy playing this game and play it that way. Because if you are not having fun, there is no point in playing."

@sh81: play the game your way, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    It's not a misconception. It's math. There is an optimal way to play based on math, and that is what people are discussing. You still have the choice not to play that way, but misconception isn't the right word for that. 
    Yes, there is an optimal way to play based on math, but that doesn't mean that is the right or correct way to play for everyone based on real life situations. So yes, misconception is the correct term. There many ways to play this game. Even the optimal way can be beaten by tappers so is optimal truly optimal or is tapping? The math would say tapping, but real life says the traditional optimal is the best way. So there is no one right way to play, even the math says so. Each player should play the way that brings them the most enjoyment.
    Optimal way can't be beaten by tappers, because if tappers can beat it, then tapping is the optimal way.

I get what you're saying, but I really think you're communicating your point using the wrong language. People debating these points aren't debating the fun way or the way that fits individual schedules. They are using math to debate optimization. And there is a way to optimize. It exists. There is no misconception about it's existence. 
  • Dax317
    Dax317 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Options
    If optimal is defined as @aesthetocyst then tapping wins every time. The math proves it out.

If optimal is defined as clear as fast as you can, have a life, then start as late as possible to finish just before the sub ends then the traditional optimal wins. Math proves it out.

I have given hard, rational, irrefutable evidence that is the misconception that there is one correct way to play this game. 

For the record, I play the traditional way. But all I have been trying get people to see is the is no one right way to play.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Optimal for me is playing the accepted way for the first couple of subs, hitting progression and then stopping and taking a night or two off.

"Optimal" is relative to your objectives I suppose.
  • MoTiV
    MoTiV Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I suggest thinking about it in terms of how many covers are needed to gain the amount of ISO for the particular SCL. I'm using SCL 84 in this example because that's where I'm at right now. SCL 84 rewards 40000 ISO for 3050 XP. This works out to:

13.11475 ISO / XP or 65.57377 ISO / 5 XP

There are 2 ways to handle the covers:

1) Sell immediately for 100 ISO.
    40000 ISO / 100 ISO = 400 Covers

2) Farm covers option #1 - Leveling
    I'm ignoring the 1000 HP for roster slot and the 1 cover / 5 XP to roster a new 1*. That leaves us with 10 XP / Cover so:
    3050 / 10 = 305 Covers

I feel like I should also mention that each method provides ISO for use at different times. Method #1 provides all ISO immediately for use. Method #2 all ISO is only available after the SCL has been completed. This isn't ideal because it takes considerable time to move to the next SCL, usually weeks, maybe a month if the player takes time off or doesn't play regularly. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Every time I see this thread I Think of this:

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm farming 1*.

I'm currently at SR 113.  At this level, the reward gives 12.5 Iso/xp.  The 1*s get 5  xp to roster and then 10 after that, so either 95 or 125 xp = 1187 or 1562 iso compared to 1000 or 1300.  It doesn't seem like a lot until you stop and consider how many 1*s you go through.  Several thousand Iso a week for pushing a different button and a few extra seconds of maintenance.

It's not that big a pain except for 1*s I maintain for teamups.  Juggs covers are maxed on the main so the train button automatically goes to the dupe, but Spiderman's train button goes three screens in to manage.  Likewise with HE and MBW, who I'm keeping at 5 cover single color for teamups.  Those I'm selling because it's too much effort for the payoff.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ive got Iron Man and Storm rostered now.  Both at 13 covers, so now I can just endlessly apply covers to them as they come in. 

Spiderman is next.  

I dont mind the HP cost of a roster slot, its nice to know Ive got a few throw away characters I can get rid of if I really need the space.

Im pretty sure if I sold them right now Id be a couple of thousand iso out of pocket though.

As to the 10 covers, I dont think its worth pursuing considering the iso cost on getting them levelled up.

So it seems Ill be sticking with a semi-farm for 1*s