The Modern Farm

Options

Comments

• LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options
    At my level (140) xp works out to 11.2 iso per xp point so a 1* cover add will net about 110 iso in the long run versus the 100 for selling immediately.

Thats not enough of a jump for me to want to start a new farm.  I have juggs, a regular widow and a sting widow - that’s worked for me for ages now.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The modern farm:

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    sh81 said:

As to the 10 cover ones, Im yet to work out if its worth it.  Though I suppose if I never put iso into levelling them, just add the covers and sell when at max there is likely no loss? (aside from initial HP outlay)
    A level one 10-13 cover 1-star sells for 100 ISO, so building one up is going to cost 900-1200 ISO that you would have gained by just selling the covers. Not sure if that justifies the XP gains or not - like you I haven't done any math. (I really hate math  ;) )
    I believe someone in my alliance was saying that it's Iso positive to work the 1* farm until Level 110 and marginal after that.  Then it becomes completely iso-negative after level 150.  Not sure I'm going to test that out though.  I'll probably use the 3-cover cycle method and ignore the 2-cover characters.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sh81 said:
    sh81 said:
    Blade just hit 266 today, so I’ll have to decide how to handle that soon. 
    The General concensus seems to be that its sensible to roster a dupe before you hit 266.  That way if your dupe ends up ?/?/5 you dont face the potential of losing the 6th cover.

I went a bit early, most say around 260 but I rostered some before, simply because I had the HP at the time so bought the slots.
    This is not a general consensus, just a good way to avoid cover loss due to poor RNG.  Personally I'd rather have the 266 on my roster, and the champ rewards than take a small risk of having to sell a couple 3* covers later. I've flipped several 266s now and I think I have only had to sell one 3* cover ever due to poor RNG.  Saves time managing the roster as well.
    I thought it was, read the exact point on here many times.

Personally Im not in a rush for the last few rewards, I know they are coming regardless.  The lost covers would grate on me more, especially as its completely avoidable.

Personal preference of course.
    This is exactly how I feel.  I'm sitting on more CP and LTs than I know what to do with because I don't have the iso to champ anything.  So since I'm hoarding anyway, I can wait for the last 10-15 levels, knowing that those prizes will be added to the hoard eventually.

pheregas said:
    Dormammu said:
    sh81 said:

As to the 10 cover ones, Im yet to work out if its worth it.  Though I suppose if I never put iso into levelling them, just add the covers and sell when at max there is likely no loss? (aside from initial HP outlay)
    A level one 10-13 cover 1-star sells for 100 ISO, so building one up is going to cost 900-1200 ISO that you would have gained by just selling the covers. Not sure if that justifies the XP gains or not - like you I haven't done any math. (I really hate math  ;) )
    I believe someone in my alliance was saying that it's Iso positive to work the 1* farm until Level 110 and marginal after that.  Then it becomes completely iso-negative after level 150.  Not sure I'm going to test that out though.  I'll probably use the 3-cover cycle method and ignore the 2-cover characters.
    I don't understand this.  If rostering those 1* is a one time investment that pays out XP forever, how can it be a net loss?  Won't you eventually make back the iso you lost over time?
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,175 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sh81 said:
    sh81 said:
    The General concensus seems to be that its sensible to roster a dupe before you hit 266.  That way if your dupe ends up ?/?/5 you dont face the potential of losing the 6th cover.

I went a bit early, most say around 260 but I rostered some before, simply because I had the HP at the time so bought the slots.
    This is not a general consensus, just a good way to avoid cover loss due to poor RNG.  Personally I'd rather have the 266 on my roster, and the champ rewards than take a small risk of having to sell a couple 3* covers later. I've flipped several 266s now and I think I have only had to sell one 3* cover ever due to poor RNG.  Saves time managing the roster as well.

Personally Im not in a rush for the last few rewards, I know they are coming regardless.  The lost covers would grate on me more, especially as its completely avoidable.

Allow me to quote @Dax317:

"The biggest misconception that I see on a daily basis, especially on this forum, is that there is only ONE RIGHT way to play this game. You have to do it these certain pre-determined ways or you are wrong. I think that is what your post is really all about doing things the way that makes the game fun and enjoyable for yourself and not doing it the way of "Keeping up with the Jones". This is most prevalent when someone with a different point of view or suggestion from the norm gets attacked by the masses. For example, some one stated that selling anything but a 1 star roster was wasted. I said that was incorrect, because you received iso for said cover. I was set upon for stating my opinion. I said just different ways of looking at the same issues but others did the same thing. I understand the human condition to think our way is the right way, but one must understand there is more than one way to do most things. This game is no different. Find the way that you enjoy playing this game and play it that way. Because if you are not having fun, there is no point in playing."

@sh81: play the game your way, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    sh81 said:

I level my 3’s to 266, then roster the dupe.  It’s easier and rarely leads to cover loss.  One exception Ian if I can’t use the 4* cover you get at 265.  In that case I leave them at 264, start the dupe, and that 4* gets put next on my list to champ.  I’ll go through that hassle for a 4* cover, but not a 3*.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I don't understand this.  If rostering those 1* is a one time investment that pays out XP forever, how can it be a net loss?  Won't you eventually make back the iso you lost over time?
    I believe it has to do with investment returns.  Eventually the amount of XP you get per iso equivalent veers off.  So the 5xp you would get from a one star (making that number up), will eventually be devalued as it takes so much more XP to get a one-time iso payout from leveling.  Eventually the sell price of a 1* cover is worth more than the XP gained iso.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I am not farming 1*s. Forget that biz.  And, I am not rostering all dupe 3s either (as of right now anyway...).  The only 3*a I am duping are the ones that get paid out from 2* farm rewards. Theoretically those dupes will grow faster than my other 3s and hopefully turn over quicker. 

Any other covers I get for non-duped, max-champed 3s just get sold.

I do not have anywhere near the amount of iso or HP required to roster dupes of all 3s. So, I've gone with the plan above until my resource needs change.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I already carry a 13 cover (level 1) 1Storm because she helps my only other 1-star (Spider-Man) in DDQ with Green/Yellow shake on slow boards. I'll probably start rostering an Iron Man as well and farm the three of them. Well, that's more like a garden when compared to growing 2-star and 3-star crops.

Can that be a thing? Gardening?  :)"Yep, I have a 2-star farm and a 1-star garden!"
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I did mine at 251. Took a few weeks to get my Cap dupe to 13 covers. I'm not sweating the 2 weeks of champ rewards I delayed.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I will farm 3*s. I do not have the time or patience to farm 1* (which is why I gave up the original FV up there, thx for the flashbacks @broll). That sell button is SOOO cathartic for those suckers.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    sh81 said:

No.
    Get the main to 266, then start the dupe.
    At worst, you'll sell a few 3* covers, but you should easily avoid that with BHs.
    Im with sh81 on this mainly because this happened to me.  I got ares dupe at 5/5/0 (whichever the yellow is) and continued pulling another 15 to 20 that were green or red.  All were about to expire at which point I had to open heroics (I was hording for when I was ready to go after the next set of 3 5stars).  I had approximately 1k total (25 or so 10packs and 700+ singles).  I had to open 200 heroics to get 3 yellows.  Thats a 2 star which are raining left and right from heroics.  So 3 stars would be even harder.  Now if you are someone that opens quite a few 40 packs, then I would go with bowgentle because the bh of 3stars are plentiful enough that you will get what you need...only if you are planning to open 50k+ hp worth of 40 packs.  Just my 2 cents.

EDIT:  Just to let people know where I am on my progression--> I have all my 3s at 266 and will not sell them, I just make dupes and sell them when they get maxed and start over.  I am a top 5 pvp and top10 pve player who usually gets every 4star champed within a week of release (buy plenty of vaults) so 3s are plentiful for me.

• ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm Level 121 and my only 1* farming is swapping covers around on my maxed 13-cover 1*s. At least for now, I'll sell the rest... maybe make a very short-lived dupe while cycling a 2*. But not going to spend Hero Points on more spare roster slots when I am already trying to do that for the 3*s.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I am farming 1*.  Roster slots costs are a sunk cost as you will always need to buy them so they aren't a specific drawback and are still the best use of HP in the game. I run quite the HP surplus since I don't buy tokens very much (other than rare vault purchases) since I think they are waste of HP.   For me, farming 1* increases the iso by about 33% as opposed to selling them outright and that is enough for me.  The only time it doesn't is when 1xp becomes < 10 iso based on your shield rank.  I also discount the argument, in my personal situation, that you lose out on iso by getting xp faster because there is no guarantee I will be playing or this game will even be around by the time I hit level 200 (I am currently level 95). More iso sooner is worth more than more possible iso in the possible far future.  I call it my time value of iso theory  B)

I may change my mind if it becomes too tedious to manage and/or my iso benefit drops too much in the future.  
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm not farming 1*s because in short term it is barely worthwhile, and in long term I think it is a losing proposition.
    If the level cap is never raised past 200 then all you are doing is getting there faster, but you lose out on all the iso you would have gotten from selling. I'll reach 200 eventually and I'll have still gotten the 100 iso per 1*.

When my 2*s reach 131 I start a dupe. Once the dupe is at 13 covers I finish off the first one, sell it, and use the iso to champ the new one. This prevents any wasted 2*s and makes sure I always have a champed version of each 2*, somewhere between 94 and 144.

My 3* farm is just starting, but here is how I have it going: Unless I need the 4* cover at 265, I start my dupes when the first hits 257. However, with 3*s I keep the first until the dupe gets to 257, then I sell the 266 and start a new one. The difference between 100 levels on a 3* is huge compared to 50 levels on a 2*, plus they don't cycle nearly as quickly.

I'm a long way off on 4* farming, but plan to run it like 3*s and start the dupes at 360.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,623 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sh81 said:
    sh81 said:

"The biggest misconception that I see on a daily basis, especially on this forum, is that there is only ONE RIGHT way to play this game. You have to do it these certain pre-determined ways or you are wrong. I think that is what your post is really all about doing things the way that makes the game fun and enjoyable for yourself and not doing it the way of "Keeping up with the Jones". This is most prevalent when someone with a different point of view or suggestion from the norm gets attacked by the masses. For example, some one stated that selling anything but a 1 star roster was wasted. I said that was incorrect, because you received iso for said cover. I was set upon for stating my opinion. I said just different ways of looking at the same issues but others did the same thing. I understand the human condition to think our way is the right way, but one must understand there is more than one way to do most things. This game is no different. Find the way that you enjoy playing this game and play it that way. Because if you are not having fun, there is no point in playing."

It's not a misconception. It's math. There is an optimal way to play based on math, and that is what people are discussing. You still have the choice not to play that way, but misconception isn't the right word for that. 
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Honestly with this new update they should allow for championing your 1's then this whole discussion would be mute.  I am going to try farming 1's but still have not decided which way yet.
  • Dax317
    Dax317 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Borstock said:
    sh81 said:
    sh81 said:

It's not a misconception. It's math. There is an optimal way to play based on math, and that is what people are discussing. You still have the choice not to play that way, but misconception isn't the right word for that. 
    Yes, there is an optimal way to play based on math, but that doesn't mean that is the right or correct way to play for everyone based on real life situations. So yes, misconception is the correct term. There many ways to play this game. Even the optimal way can be beaten by tappers so is optimal truly optimal or is tapping? The math would say tapping, but real life says the traditional optimal is the best way. So there is no one right way to play, even the math says so. Each player should play the way that brings them the most enjoyment.
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I considered rostering every 1*, but then I realized I'm lazy.

So business as usual - recycle 2s and 3s