The Modern Farm

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
With the recent changes to SHIELD levels and how we gain XP, I'm interested to know what others are planning on doing with their farms.

Is a 1-star farm viable? How would this work?

Will the XP changes alter how you grow your 2-star crops?

Have you changed your mind on farming 3-stars? Will you dupe? Will the ISO investment to do so be difficult for you to manage?

Comments

• rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No change for me. I dupe 2*s and 3*s. I'll continue to sell 1*s as the come in unless I see some really compelling argument to spend time thinking about them.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Not worth farming 1* based on my current rank - when you work out what 1xp converts to in iso, it’s too small an increase to make it worthwhile to go through the extra work.

As for the other farms, I was an advocate of 2* farming very early on, so I’ve been cycling them basically since champs started.

3* I used to do in the same fashion, but in the age of panthos, running baby 3* is an invite for hits so I’ve taken to keeping max 3* and building dupes - I’ve got about 12 at 266 that have baby champs now.  When the dupes reach max, I will sell and re-roster.

4* I approach same as 3* - keep max champs and build dupes.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Have we worked out what the iso gain cost is in simply rostering - champing - selling a 1* yet? My thinking in the short term is to roster Storm, Iron man and Spiderman. These are the only 13 cover 1*s, and so once rostered I can indefinitely apply covers as they come simply by rebalancing their powers as I get the covers. I havent worked out if its worth farming the 10 cover 1*s yet. If its iso-negative on the roster/sell front I doubt it will be worth it. As to 2*s and 3*s, no change. I have a 2* farm. When one hits 144 I sell and re roster the next cover that comes up for them. Have cycled through each character more times than I care to remember. 3* Im yet to get any to max, but Patch, IM40, Hulk and Captain America have all got to 250+ at which point Ive rostered a dupe and am working on champing them before finishing off the high level ones. I have no intention of selling the originals, not sure its worth it. That said, having that potential ISO/HP "in the bank" is a nice situation to have.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    With the recent changes to SHIELD levels and how we gain XP, I'm interested to know what others are planning on doing with their farms.

Is a 1-star farm viable? How would this work? I've got them all but Venom and Storm. I'll now roster Storm and use her in the same way I'm going to use Spider-Man and Iron Man. When I get their covers I'll re-train powers to get some XP there. Otherwise, I'm going to continue to sell all 1* covers as usual.

Will the XP changes alter how you grow your 2-star crops? It did initially, because my farm is a wreck so I went back to putting ISO into it. I'm really tired of farming tho, and thinking about a new strategy that I'm going to do that's too long to comment on here.

Have you changed your mind on farming 3-stars? Will you dupe? Will the ISO investment to do so be difficult for you to manage? I can farm Thanos, Steve Rogers, Deadpool, and Dr. Strange (can actually re-champ him) but I don't have enough ISO to champion all my 13 cover 4*, or enough to keep my 2* farm going, or enough to champion 3* Gambit and Elektra, or enough to get a 3* farm really going. 
    Long story short, I can't really commit to anything because the game constantly changes. I've been playing catch up to changes all this time and I've decided to change course and implement new ideas to see if they will work better for me because I'm not catching up by trying to do things the way the masses do and I don't have the patience to continue this path.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I already had all the 1*s rostered tocomplete my collection, so I had room for the 1* farm. After one day I decided it was too much time for the small acceleration to ISO gain, so I’ll be going back to just selling all 1*s. 
    2* Farm is unchanged
    3* Farm hasn’t started yet, Blade just hit 266 today, so I’ll have to decide how to handle that soon. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Blade just hit 266 today, so I’ll have to decide how to handle that soon. 
    The General concensus seems to be that its sensible to roster a dupe before you hit 266.  That way if your dupe ends up ?/?/5 you dont face the potential of losing the 6th cover.

I went a bit early, most say around 260 but I rostered some before, simply because I had the HP at the time so bought the slots.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    sh81 said:
    The General concensus seems to be that its sensible to roster a dupe before you hit 266.  That way if your dupe ends up ?/?/5 you dont face the potential of losing the 6th cover.

I went a bit early, most say around 260 but I rostered some before, simply because I had the HP at the time so bought the slots.
    No.
    Get the main to 266, then start the dupe.
    At worst, you'll sell a few 3* covers, but you should easily avoid that with BHs.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    sh81 said:

No.
    At worst, you'll sell a few 3* covers, but you should easily avoid that with BHs.
    Why even bother taking the risk when it is entirely avoidable?
  • Bowgentle
    Options
    sh81 said:
    Bowgentle said:
    sh81 said:

No.
    Why even bother taking the risk when it is entirely avoidable?
    Because you want those 260-266 rewards ASAP.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I dont.
  • Bowgentle
    Options
    Thank God there's an ignore function.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Just so I understand this correctly - the strategy proposed for 1-star farming is to keep a 13-cover (level 1) Spider-Man, Storm, and Iron Man on roster and just rotate which colors have 5 covers?
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Just so I understand this correctly - the strategy proposed for 1-star farming is to keep a 13-cover (level 1) Spider-Man, Storm, and Iron Man on roster and just rotate which colors have 5 covers?
    That's mine, but I believe there are others. Its hard to sort it out among the many pages of discussion about the subject, and also filter out suggestions that simply don't work.

Edit: Sorry, my IM and Spider-Man are actually leveled up. I don't know if this makes a difference or not.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Thats my plan, for the short term at least.

I can keep the xp coming in from them at no further cost than the initial roster slots.  I suppose the longer I have them rostered the better value they represent.

As to the 10 cover ones, Im yet to work out if its worth it.  Though I suppose if I never put iso into levelling them, just add the covers and sell when at max there is likely no loss? (aside from initial HP outlay)
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    sh81 said:

This is not a general consensus, just a good way to avoid cover loss due to poor RNG.  Personally I'd rather have the 266 on my roster, and the champ rewards than take a small risk of having to sell a couple 3* covers later. I've flipped several 266s now and I think I have only had to sell one 3* cover ever due to poor RNG.  Saves time managing the roster as well.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    sh81 said:

As to the 10 cover ones, Im yet to work out if its worth it.  Though I suppose if I never put iso into levelling them, just add the covers and sell when at max there is likely no loss? (aside from initial HP outlay)
    A level one 10-13 cover 1-star sells for 100 ISO, so building one up is going to cost 900-1200 ISO that you would have gained by just selling the covers. Not sure if that justifies the XP gains or not - like you I haven't done any math. (I really hate math  ;) )
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    sh81 said:

This is not a general consensus, just a good way to avoid cover loss due to poor RNG.  Personally I'd rather have the 266 on my roster, and the champ rewards than take a small risk of having to sell a couple 3* covers later. I've flipped several 266s now and I think I have only had to sell one 3* cover ever due to poor RNG.  Saves time managing the roster as well.
    I thought it was, read the exact point on here many times.

Personally Im not in a rush for the last few rewards, I know they are coming regardless.  The lost covers would grate on me more, especially as its completely avoidable.

Personal preference of course.