Sakaar Arena Run 2

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,938 Chairperson of the Boards
    Merrick said:
    Hate that they changed from a static 20 person bracket without informing us. 

Any change from a previous run, no matter how trivial, should be communicated with the player base before the new run.
    Absolutely this!

I purposely didn't jump in right away because last time I waited a day or two, and got a super easy bracket where I was guaranteed top 1 or 2 just for hitting seeds.  Had I had known there was a change, I'd of adjusted.  Oh well.  At least I know now.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    I'm now in brackets where guys are shielding within the first 10 minutes after the round opens.  In lightning rounds!
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    Don't neglect to sign up and get Marvel Insider points for hitting 900 points in the event
    How does one do this?
    I have an insider account, but can't find anything about this.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m really annoyed by 0 friends from work tokens. Tinykitty you devs on that one...

Even though it means less rewards I like that they fixed the Saakar groupings. 
  • PeeOne
    PeeOne Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Sort of on and off topic... I’ve noticed the change around of the 20 grouping too.. last run out of my 20 I was the only live player so topped it with 1 win every time

As it stands now I’m sitting at 13th overall and that leads me to a question - that I know is covered somewhere on this forum but since the upgrade I can’t find anything..

so so the question does this current placement dictate the levels of my competitors??

im suddenly facing Championed 5* characters at levels 549, 535 and Thoress at 479

im I’m 4* transition land and I can not repel firepower of that magnitude 
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    I’m not sure exactly how lightening rounds work 

This event is unique of course 

Im in the UK and 
    was just thinking , I’m in a pool of 1000 people for the rewards and I joined on a night shift at work. My nights finish tonight and I’ll be playing on through the day time as I don’t sleep until the night , I wonder how many of the 1000 will be playing through the day as I suspect most of the 1000 are probably from the US

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Boo, I actually have to play some matches this time round! I guess the first run was too good to be true...

• Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Quebbster said:
    Merrick said:

Any change from a previous run, no matter how trivial, should be communicated with the player base before the new run.
    I sort of assume the last run was bugged and they fixed the bug this time. They probably handed out a lot more tokens than intended. But yes, there's room for improvement.
    Umm, this won't affect how many tokens are won, those prize amounts are fixed. This will just affect who they go to.

Edit:  actually, if more people play (IF), more tokens would be awarded each round, as there would be fewer 0s / fewer unclaimed prizes.
    Nah, it's the other way around. The folks who scored zero get no rewards under both systems. But the active players will receive less reward this time around because they're forced to compete with each other and take lower spots.

Imagine 20 active people and 60 inactive:

1st run:
    80 people = 4 Brackets. Assuming they're roughly evenly distributed, we'd have 5 active people in each bracket. These people are guaranteed to score better than the inactives and take top 5. So total reward given: 12 HT, 24 ET, 12k iso.  

2nd run: 
    All 20 active people will be put into one bracket, where only top 8 will get tokens. So total reward given: 3 HT, 6 ET, 5570 iso.

• vernr1
    vernr1 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    This round seems to be exhibiting a lot of bugs as well, I’m not getting points for any of the ‘seed’ fights :(  that combined with the huge increase in competition, bit of a letdown. I really enjoyed this event the first time around, it’s a shame they changed it.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm now in brackets where guys are shielding within the first 10 minutes after the round opens.  In lightning rounds!
    Maybe you should try joining the rounds a bit later so those guys can all compete against each other.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    They took all our feedback about the first run. Then changed the best part to make it overall worse.

D3/Demiurge, people, in a nutshell.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches said:
    They took all our feedback about the first run. Then changed the best part to make it overall worse.

D3/Demiurge, people, in a nutshell.
    Could be the static brackets in round 1 were a bug they fixed in round 2.

Who knows, without communication.
    Kinda hard to read the devs' minds.
  • bowla33
    bowla33 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    @Brigby - can we get some insight into why we got reduced rewards without comment in round 2 of Sakaar lightning rounds? 
  • Quebbster
    bowla33 said:
    @Brigby - can we get some insight into why we got reduced rewards without comment in round 2 of Sakaar lightning rounds? 
    The rewards weren't reduced, the round 2 rewards are exactly the same as round 1.
    Sure, they are harder to get now and there will be less handed out overall, but the reward list was unchanged.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,687 Chairperson of the Boards
    What do you think the developer prefers?

A. Filling rounds with inactive players so that almost anyone who plays 1 round gets heroic tokens

B.  Having active players in brackets so that you need to play to get prizes. 

They don’t actually want to give you lots of rewards for low effort.  See Strange Sights changes now vs first couple runs. If you love an event because of all the rewards, devs are like “That needs to be toned down.”

Also, maybe more people are trying after all kinds of folks said how great run #1 was.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    They “fixed” the fixed 20 bracket. Same work as before for less rewards. Sounds like d3 is doubling down on being d3.

And giving me even more reason to not play.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:
    Merrick said:

I sort of assume the last run was bugged and they fixed the bug this time. They probably handed out a lot more tokens than intended. But yes, there's room for improvement.
    Was it more? If the same number of players are playing, then it’s the same number of brackets. Each with identical reward structure. 
  • Quebbster
    edited November 2017
    Pongie said:
    Quebbster said:
    Merrick said:

Was it more? If the same number of players are playing, then it’s the same number of brackets. Each with identical reward structure. 
    It's not the same number of brackets since inactive players still took up spots in the static brackets. See the example above with 80 players, of which 20 are active. In the static system, the 20 would get top 5 in 4 different brackets but now the 20 active players would all be put in the same bracket while the 60 inactive players weren't in a bracket at all.
    In my run 1 bracket, I don't think there was ever more than 5 players participating in a single round. From what I hear, a lot of other brackets were similar. Heck, there were plenty of rounds where I was the only one playing and easily got first place. The static brackets were filled with inactive players, so it wasn't difficult to get a token from the round. Now you actually have to work a little bit for it...
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    By my math there are far fewer brackets this time. In the first run you took up a spot in a bracket each round if you ever played a single fight any time during the event.

I'll make up a few numbers just to give you an idea of my thinking. Let's say 10,000 people played at least one fight during the event, but, on average, there are about 2000 players playing during a single run (about what a standard LR gets).

If 10,000 people tried the event, there would be 500 brackets each round. In the second run there are only as many brackets as players in that run. So 2000 players in a run would generate only 100 brackets. 

In the second round those 100 brackets will have 8 players getting tokens. 800 players total getting tokens. In the first run, on average, brackets are only 20% full, 4 players each bracket, all of whom get tokens. So nearly all 2000 players got a token in the first run (yeah, some brackets had more than 8 active players in a run, but it sounds like that was the exception), while only 800 get a token in the second run.

More dramatically there would have been 500 first place winners in the first run, but only 100 first place winners in the second run.

And my guess is that the actual numbers of total players to average players per round is probably much higher than 5:1.

So I believe the overall rewards this time around are significantly smaller.

(I'm not saying that is a terrible thing. I enjoyed the first run where Heroics fell from the sky like candy from a pinata, but I really don't think that was the intention. Getting 1000 ISO and 2 Heroics for beating a few seed teams is way out of line with the general reward structure of the game)
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, if you're a masochist then the second run is right up your alley. Currently in 9th after doing all seed teams and a regular fight. I imagine lots of people that enjoyed the first run won't play too much, if at all after a couple rounds this time, so even the 5* players will end up getting into crowded brackets with almost nothing but other 5s.