Sakaar Arena Run 2

fmftint
fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
Why aren't any Friends From Work tokens winnable? Virtually every other 5 star release has had ast least 2 that could be earned.  Would it have been too I hard to have a "season" progression with a token or 2?

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Technically Thor is winnable from the Sakaar tokens. Sure, it's only one chance in 1600, but there is a chance...
    But yeah, it would have been nice if there was a FFW token involved at least for top placement(s) in the big bracket. Handing them out in the little bracket would probably be overkill though.
  • Raud
    Raud Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Sakaar arena is good format exept situation when you have 8 or more whales.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm just saying,  there should be a point target to earn a legit FFW token
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    Only dipping in an out for some ISO.
    Once bitten twice shy.
  • matthatter
    matthatter Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    Don't neglect to sign up and get Marvel Insider points for hitting 900 points in the event
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    Glad I got so many Heroics in the last Sakaar.  This time, I am playing for ISO.  The new format doesn't seem to reward me just for showing up for seven minutes each round.  :-)
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    I tried to defend the odds of the Sakaar tokens thinking of the logic that "Friends from Work + Sakaar" is better odds at Thor than, say, "Mes Amis + X-Men vs Apocalypse" was for Gambit. Looking at it that way, Sakaar tokens are bonus tiny shots to win, because normally event tokens (like X-Men vs Apocalypse) don't give a shot at the new 5* at all. They aren't meant to be the main way to acquire the character, so they're a welcome bonus.

But that presumes we would get a shot at earning two Friends from Work tokens. You know, like we've had a shot at winning tokens for every 5* ever (except for that one time they were extra generous with the first Civil War).

Instead, we've been **** of our normal "freebie" chance to earn a 5*, with zero announcements or explanation or discussion, and conveniently it's a Friday afternoon and no one will say anything and they'll use the weekend to lie low and hope it blows over.

I wish the devs would realize that being predictably disappointing is not an admirable quality.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    If I thought this would have made a difference, I would have posted it in the initial run's post. I don't think it would have, but now I'm annoyed enough to post it anyway.

I'm annoyed with picking up my phone to play the game when I have a minute, joining a LR, and immediately being confronted with 380+ Thor, 5* champion, 3rd character.

Sorry I don't set a **** clock to the second every lighting round starts. I'd still like some **** seed teams and a quick ISO boost.

Thanks in advance.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,687 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    If the tournament gave out store tokens, people would play more and it would be a massive QOL hit for people trying for placement.  I wonder how many tokens would be rewarded for placement in that scenario anyway.

So I take the positive view that they decided not to give out FFW tokens, so that the event was more of a "here's something fun to play that may happen to give out an awesome reward" vs "I didn't sleep for a week and ended up in 11th with no token to show for it."
  • Merrick
    Merrick Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    Hate that they changed from a static 20 person bracket without informing us. 

Any change from a previous run, no matter how trivial, should be communicated with the player base before the new run.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I liked the last run cause it was easy to get some useful tokens. Wont bother with this one. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Merrick said:

Any change from a previous run, no matter how trivial, should be communicated with the player base before the new run.
    I sort of assume the last run was bugged and they fixed the bug this time. They probably handed out a lot more tokens than intended. But yes, there's room for improvement.
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Just hittings seeds for quick easy iso, and maybe an 11th for an extra token.
    Not going to fight hard for what would probably amount to 1 additional 2*.
    Whatever placements I get in both big and small brackets is just bonuses.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, whatever was changed has made it much more competitive this time around. The rewards are no longer worth the time investment. Three to six matches for two heroic tokens and 1,000 ISO? Worth it. Getting into an arms race with 20 other people, or even just a very aggressive top 5 just for a chance at two heroic tokens and 1,000 ISO, which will likely go to someone with more free time? Not worth it.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Quebbster said:
    Merrick said:

I sort of assume the last run was bugged and they fixed the bug this time. They probably handed out a lot more tokens than intended. But yes, there's room for improvement.
    Umm, this won't affect how many tokens are won, those prize amounts are fixed. This will just affect who they go to.

It won’t affect end ranking tokens, but it will affect the number of heroic and elite tokens in each round.  Last run most of the time I was competing with 2-5 people, so if I just hit 1 seed I got top 5 or top 8 at worst.  

• mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    mega ghost said:
    Yeah, whatever was changed has made it much more competitive this time around. The rewards are no longer worth the time investment. Three to six matches for two heroic tokens and 1,000 ISO? Worth it. Getting into an arms race with 20 other people, or even just a very aggressive top 5 just for a chance at two heroic tokens and 1,000 ISO, which will likely go to someone with more free time? Not worth it.

The seeds themselves are always worth it. Near zero effort for a small return. The last run, for those who "won" the bracket dance (like me *cough*) was awesome, but a near-guaranteed 2 heroics and 1K+ iso 12x a day for no effort simply isn't this game's style :D
    I was in a great bracket last time, I'd be one of two to four people competing. Maybe only one out of every three times did one other player give me a run for my money. And if they put in more effort than me? I'd still get 2nd, and one Heroic token and 500 ISO. My current bracket is full of active players. 20 minutes into this round and the scores were over 200 and they're still climbing. 

I'll check back in tomorrow, maybe enough people will have burned out on it and stopped playing.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Pants1000 said:
    It won’t affect end ranking tokens, but it will affect the number of heroic and elite tokens in each round.  Last run most of the time I was competing with 2-5 people, so if I just hit 1 seed I got top 5 or top 8 at worst.  

Last run I was often competing with .... no one. Second most common was 1 other score, 18 zeros. A whole lot of tokens went unissued.
    In that bracket, yea. But those people were likely getting heroics in other brackets that they normally wouldn't have gotten. They gave out much more top end bracket rewards than they will have this run. Rewards, overall, will be less to the player base this go round than before since there won't be as many brackets and people that were getting t1/2/5 rewards will now be getting fewer rewards in full brackets.