Are the new PVP changes working as expected?

Comments

• madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Since we are being directed to this thread to continue posting our displeasure about the new PVP set up, can we get it added as a sticky @Brigby ?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Apologies @madsalad , but we only sticky official announcement posts. There are very rare exceptions to this, however we do not sticky discussion threads simply because they might be popular topics. 
  • sabbidaddy
    sabbidaddy Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    I am not pleased by the way the levels are divided in PvP. I am not sure how it all works but I have only been playing for 2 years and have no 5* characters championed. Not even close really but still get screwed on every tournament.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have found it has made PVP very much like PVE except seeing the same characters over and over and over.
    PVE has the same characters over and over too ;) The only difference is, they're not (often) champed 5*s.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Someone's sure playing. 

I was bored with nothing to do and a lot of time on my hands. Started the Falcon PvP late. Got to 800 in 22 wins. Won 18 more to get to 40 wins, with only one break to kill the seed teams in one round of Sakaar. No shielding. Finished with 823 points. 

18 wins, 23 points gained

At one point I was over 1k, but I got destroyed by 5* teams.

In the end, I don't care. I actually laughed when it happened. But man did I ever get hit a lot. So people are definitely still active.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,737 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Borstock   It’s worth pointing out that people who want placement will now hit anyone as many times as needed for points.  Etiquette against double hits is pretty much out the window with wins based PVP. Not saying you’re wrong, but you could have been doubled, tripled, etc.  So, maybe not that many different players just hit you a lot.
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    I admit it seemed easier during the trials. I would fight around 30 matches against champed 3* and the rest against champed 4*. Now, straight after the seed teams- thank Heavens and the players for them!- I see nothing but champed Medusa's and tile spammers, so the fights are very long and consume a lot of health packs. The teams I once dreaded, like Blade/Medusa/Carol- now I'm happy to see them. I don't blame other players though, we also use the best we got and even I like bit of a challenge from time to time, but not 40 damn challenges ever 3 days!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    I admit it seemed easier during the trials. I would fight around 30 matches against champed 3* and the rest against champed 4*. Now, straight after the seed teams- thank Heavens and the players for them!- I see nothing but champed Medusa's and tile spammers, so the fights are very long and consume a lot of health packs. The teams I once dreaded, like Blade/Medusa/Carol- now I'm happy to see them. I don't blame other players though, we also use the best we got and even I like bit of a challenge from time to time, but not 40 damn challenges ever 3 days!
    The trials were between seasons werent they?  And Im pretty sure many vets passed on them and just took some time out.  While younger rosters got in and gave it a go.  It was never going to be indicative of the real thing, imo.

Im finding its a game of two halves.  Up to about 23 wins Im finding a variety of matches and its really quite fun.  After that I end up hitting high level (for me) teams all composed of the same few characters.  Top Gun became an endless sea of Mordo/Cyclops/luke Cage combos.

I find it easier to stomach because each win is still progress.

In the old world for me the split happened around 500-600, when suddenly it was a repetitive grind.  But of course it was a grind where I was regularly penalised.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    @Borstock   It’s worth pointing out that people who want placement will now hit anyone as many times as needed for points.  Etiquette against double hits is pretty much out the window with wins based PVP. Not saying you’re wrong, but you could have been doubled, tripled, etc.  So, maybe not that many different players just hit you a lot.
    I kept track of the people hitting me. There absolutely were multiple hits from certain players, but I also was hit by many different people.

I want to reiterate (not to you, but in general), I am not complaining. I don't care that I got hit that much. I'm merely reporting on my experience.
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Just adding my feedback in the hopes that someone is paying attention.  For perspective, I'm at day ~1000 and have several champed 5*s.   Top Gun was the first time in a looooong time I haven't gotten t10 in an event or reached top progression.  40 Wins is just too much time.  And, t10 for cp requires me scoring 2000+, which is insane.  Yes, before the changes, I'd often run scores up above 2000 for fun, but was never required to do it.  Now I have to in order to get t10 and it seems like a huge chore.  More work, same rewards - how is that for a quality of life improvement?  I am seriously considering going casual, dropping to a lower CL, doing 16 wins and never shielding.  Roster progress will slow w/o the 15cp; however, I'll spend less and have more free time.  #workingasintended
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Working as intended for me, I guess. I can play more over the 3 days instead of just at the last 8 hours. Flexibility of playtime was the only goal stated in their official release post. Of course it also stopped me from ever getting the 4* again. 900 was doable in 25 wins, 40 wins is too much. I did really enjoy the new shield sim tho. I didn't have to rush from 1800-2000 to try and get it before getting hit. Never actually got to 2000, but still got the 74 wins.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Straycat said:
    Working as intended for me, I guess. I can play more over the 3 days instead of just at the last 8 hours. Flexibility of playtime was the only goal stated in their official release post. Of course it also stopped me from ever getting the 4* again. 900 was doable in 25 wins, 40 wins is too much. I did really enjoy the new shield sim tho. I didn't have to rush from 1800-2000 to try and get it before getting hit. Never actually got to 2000, but still got the 74 wins.
    I have been trying to pay attention to when I hit these point thresholds, I guess just to reinforce for myself how ridiculous the new progression system is. Most events I hit 900 around 18-20 wins, and that's hitting 3 seeds to start and no longer seeking out only highest point targets. I climbed in sim over the last 2 days...I hit 2000 in 32 wins. Again, I didn't care about points, I only skipped if every queue had gambit (which to no surprise, happened quite a lot). Spent the entire next day either trading hits with friends or just hitting my retals to finally get to 74 wins. My score hasn't really changed, I just had to play >100% extra so others that struggled to reach 2000 in the prior system (or 900 in featured PvPs) can now get the shiny reward. I'm not upset about it per se - I just don't like it so I'm mostly playing a lot less, hitting 1k or so and shielding out. 
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    LordXberk said:
    Just adding my feedback in the hopes that someone is paying attention.  For perspective, I'm at day ~1000 and have several champed 5*s.   Top Gun was the first time in a looooong time I haven't gotten t10 in an event or reached top progression.  40 Wins is just too much time.  And, t10 for cp requires me scoring 2000+, which is insane.  Yes, before the changes, I'd often run scores up above 2000 for fun, but was never required to do it.  Now I have to in order to get t10 and it seems like a huge chore.  More work, same rewards - how is that for a quality of life improvement?  I am seriously considering going casual, dropping to a lower CL, doing 16 wins and never shielding.  Roster progress will slow w/o the 15cp; however, I'll spend less and have more free time.  #workingasintended
    To be fair, how were they supposed to know you ran up past 2000 "for fun" in some events?  Is it possible that it took you close to 30-35 matches to get there?  Someone said that they were originally going to have the win count even higher, based on what people were already doing.  

Heck, a 2500 score, assuming 100 points from 3 seeds, and every match at 75 points, is 35 total matches. 

If they were just looking at match counts as a whole, they wont differentiate between 40 matches of a 5* roster having fun and a 3* transitioner scrambling for a much needed 4* cover at 900 points.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    LordXberk said:
    To be fair, how were they supposed to know you ran up past 2000 "for fun" in some events?  Is it possible that it took you close to 30-35 matches to get there?  Someone said that they were originally going to have the win count even higher, based on what people were already doing.  

Heck, a 2500 score, assuming 100 points from 3 seeds, and every match at 75 points, is 35 total matches. 

If they were just looking at match counts as a whole, they wont differentiate between 40 matches of a 5* roster having fun and a 3* transitioner scrambling for a much needed 4* cover at 900 points.
    The answer to this is that they should really never have been looking at wins past 900 to begin with.  It's wins to 900 that should matter in setting this thresholds.  Hopefully they ignored total win totals, because that's a terrible way to set a progression threshold.
  • meekersX
    meekersX Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    LordXberk said:

The answer to this is that they should really never have been looking at wins past 900 to begin with.  It's wins to 900 that should matter in setting this thresholds.  Hopefully they ignored total win totals, because that's a terrible way to set a progression threshold.
    Does anyone actually believe that they're that competent?
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017

I do not like this season, but I am stubbornly slogging through it.

These PvP changes, combined with PvE changes (5th clear for progression; 5* matches), combined with Sakaar Arena, SHIELD training, and System Reboot/Standalone Simulator, have been killer for me. I am sacrificing sleep, work, and social life trying to get the required wins for all these events.

While I have reached max progression in all PvE, PvP, and standalone events this season, I do not like the person I'm becoming to achieve it. On the negatives for Demi/d3, I've reduced a lot of spending on HP this season, as I can't shield and win simultaneously, and the events have given me a generous ISO surplus with all the wins I have to rack up.

I think having a high-levelled 5* roster would only make this season sloggier, and I don't believe this level of required play is enjoyable or sustainable. Please roll back the win requirements for PvP and SHIELD.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    I'm definitely not a fan of this win based Versus. I've played far less than usual, haven't earned the 4* covers since Nightcrawler event. I only did that one because I wanted another cover for the new character. Right now I'm sitting on 1912 points in sim with only 38 wins, da tinykitty!!!! For the full season, 8678 points with only 276 wins.... I'm bored with this tinykitty.... I do have one positive thing for win based, I'm sitting on far more hp than I usually do because I don't shield anymore. But is that really a positive? I don't buy packs, I don't need roster spots (except the occasional one for a brand new character), I, basically, only spent it on shields..... Stupid, stupid, stupid system.....

Also, for anyone that noticed it's burned me out to the point that I'm spending less time on the forums too!!!! Tinykitty to you too, d3!!!
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Milk Jugz said:
    Also, for anyone that noticed it's burned me out to the point that I'm spending less time on the forums too!!!!
    Every cloud has a silver lining, eh?
    (joke)

I hear ya- 10k season score for 198 season wins. Many rewards passed up on. Instead of burnt out, I'm just disheartened.