Are the new PVP changes working as expected?

Comments

• dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Definitely feeling burnout. Due to RL issues I haven't had as much time to spend on mpq as before, but could still get full progression in both pvp and pve without too much fuss. 

I got to 40 wins in the first 2 pvps of the season. Thereafter I've been stopping shortly after 20, whether I get placement cp or not. 

It's too much time commitment compared to the previous system, my ability to earn covers and cp is considerably reduced, and I'm finding it hard to care because a single 4* cover, a drop of hp, even the token /iso/3* in the upper progressions aren't worth my time when I am well past the 5* transition. 

I'm still undecided whether I want to continue VIP.  Have maybe a week left. Picking up a few older hobbies and may continue that way. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    PorkBelly said:
    I don't need a season to think about it.
    I'm sure you don't. But D3 nonetheless will want (and rightly so) at least an entire season's worth of aggregate data, if not more.
  • peanut_gallery
    peanut_gallery Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    In general I don't like the change.  That said, my new MO is basically the same as Sm0keyJ0e's: 16 wins and t10.  I'll try to catch a late bracket in scl5 and climb to 900-1k and then shield out.  That's usually 16-18 wins for me.  If t10 is in jeopardy (don't catch a  break on a fresher bracket) I'll queue up a few grills and do a hop or two.  The plus side is that I'm spending far less hp on shield hops than I used to.  And spending far less time on PvP in general.

• Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    PorkBelly said:

I get my 10cp and am done.  Usually puts me around 1k.  It's way too much effort for too little reward.
    That seems pretty harsh. I have a tough time imagining a PvP system so horrible people would only play up to the 10CP reward and quit,

• Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    PorkBelly said:

I get my 10cp and am done.  Usually puts me around 1k.  It's way too much effort for too little reward.
    That seems pretty harsh. I have a tough time imagining a PvP system so horrible people would only play up to the 10CP reward and quit,

not sure if sarcasm or honesty, made me chuckle either way
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    They wait too long they wont have to worry about data...
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Played the first 2 PvP to 40 wins and got burnt out. Been playing for 10 CP and T10 and quitting. Last event I got 11th so that was a complete failure. It's funny to see the CL5 and CL6 brackets full of 5* players. I'm sure that's exactly what the devs intended. Plus I have to skip 5 God Gambits every time I want to find a fight I can win. And of course my season ranking has suffered a bunch too. Pretty much a mess all around.
  • professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Same story. I did the first event to 40 for the Nightcrawler. I started the second event with the intention of doing the same because the champ level for Fury would have given me an LT but lost heart in the mid-20s. Pretty much planning on skipping the 4* cover from here on out. It just isn't worth the time. Saving a decent amount on healthpacks and shields though, so that's nice.
  • Coubii
    Coubii Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2017
    I thought it would help me, but now I have mixed feeling.
    I'm a casual player who is finishing the 4* transition.
    Theoretically, it has opened the possibility to reach all progressions PVP rewards. In fact, I'm bogged down to an even range.
    I need to start earlier an event, wait for an attack so it open back MMR and then I can fight back some more wins. Then repeat.
    Which in the end require too much planification and more time to play.

I'm happy that I can play more and potentially win more rewards. But there is too much for me; life outside of my phone is taking me too much time. D3go, please nerf life so we could play more!

• adamdivine
    adamdivine Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Ruinate said:
    005 3* Gambit has been a game changer for me.  If I had to tough through 40 Panthos vs Panthos matches I'd be having a bad time too.  Instead I've been trolling 5* teams with Loaner/3Gambit/DD or Loaner/3Gambit/Phx and it's a lot of fun.  I take plenty of hits which usually keeps me below the Gambit wall where I like to be during the win grind.  I don't even retal 4* teams because DD's power falls drastically when not fighting 5* characters.  After about 30 wins of this and not using a single health pack, its business as usual.  Not too bad.  
    This right here. I got one extra Gambit black cover and spent 80cp to bring it to 0/0/5. Best cp ever spent. I use pheonix, Gambit and loaner to beat any 5* teams and have fun doing it. Encourages lots of retals from lower teams which i can then go back at with something easier if i choose. Since riri was boosted this event, her, Gambit and loaner worked well too.  Now I'm not necessarily going for the 40 wins; I'll take it if it comes, but not chasing it. Another fun team to use (only in sim) is coulson, switch and pheonix. Easy to beat 5* teams and encourages lower teams to retal
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    PorkBelly said:
    I don't need a season to think about it.
    I'm sure you don't. But D3 nonetheless will want (and rightly so) at least an entire season's worth of aggregate data, if not more.
    My guess is three seasons.  It will take them all of next season to pour over the data.  Then there will be some sort of emergency meeting where they realize the horror of it all.

Then, after being paralyzed by indecision for weeks, they will try and make a change, only to realize that it cannot be implemented until the following season. 
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    Just further proof that our words fall on deaf ears. Or worse, indifferent ones. 
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Nah.

Wednesday, at 5PM ET, the night before season 47 rolls out, they will announce the changes were a fantastic success and thank all of you for your enthusiastic participation in this new direction for the eastern half of MPQ.

And that, too, will have passed?
    I don't know, they did roll back vaulting after several months.  There is a chance they could still tweak this eventually 
  • freakygeek
    freakygeek Posts: 96 Match Maker
    I have found it has made PVP very much like PVE except seeing the same characters over and over and over.  Echoing what I have hear a lot, I have to play twice as many matches to get the 4* reward.  I don't shield except at the end now as there is no point.  The one difference is I tend to get the 40 wins in the 1st two days in order to not have to play at all on the last day.  There used to be strategy to PVP, now I just pick anyone I think I can beat irregardless of the reward or consequence.  I suppose I get some amusement when the twin champed 5*'s crush me like a bug.
  • Avalancher
    Avalancher Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    corytutor said:
    Just further proof that our words fall on deaf ears. Or worse, indifferent ones. 
    What do you expect them to do? Shut down the season? They are listening, they will make changes. Like all diseases, this needs to run its course.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    OJSP said:
    Calnexin, visibility and MMR depends on a lot of factors. When you said you got hit by "those teams", what was your points, what was their points, what team were you using (5* and boosted 4*? what level was your boosted 4?) and what team were they using (one or 2 championed 5*?)?

Some people with high level championed 5*s will only see other 5*s, until more and more people decide to shield and the MMR gives them the next tier down. Perhaps you got hit when most people are shield hopping already, so you become visible to people who you are not normally visible to unless you score really high in an event.
    OJSP said:
    Calnexin said:
    I get hit by double-champed 5* as early as 100 points, but more as I climb higher with a major jump around 500-600 points.  Their points tend to be in the same area or a little above, since the retals are worth around 35-45.  I very rarely see one worth 60 or more, though it's entirely possible they'd be worth that if I retaliated and won (which is kind of a tinykitty shoot for my roster, even if I'm aiming to drop whales - in a win-based progression wasting 3 health packs on a 50/50 shot is much less attractive than 3 matches that don't require any).
    I see. I suppose if you got hit at 100 and the retal is worth around the same, you're one of that person's seed teams. It's not unusual to get weaker teams right at the start of the event, but usually after we get around 200, our MMR reverts to normal. Around 500-600 is where you break MMR, so the double championed 5*s could start seeing you when they break MMR. So, it's equally explainable from your retal node values. Depending on which slice you're playing in and what stage in the event we're at, that threshold that we need to aim for could shift higher and higher. It's not unusual for a crowded bracket with a lot of floaters to have the MMR broken at 1000+.
    "High champed 5's" I don't generally see until 800+.  450-470 is normal up to that point.  I can see that 550 champs can't see 4* rosters, but I expect they would have as easy a time beating lv 450 5* as those lv 450 5*s have of beating my 4/5, in which case I don't see where the gripe is (Gambit aside).

The problem is not necessarily for those with lvl 550 5*s. It's for those with lvl 480-500 where they got stuck playing against boosted Gambits. Because, for reasons unknown, despite their 110 lvl boost, they are still considered at their base level for MMR purposes. Due to how the numbers increase exponentially, a 10 lvl difference between one 5* to the other is really significant.  People having championed Gambit are also getting hit less, they float longer and prevent other players from finding other 5* teams. I'm sure they won't be complaining as much if they can find these non-Gambolt/Panthos teams. 

I was going to ask this yesterday, and I got side tracked and was unable to return to the Forum until today.

If the double championed 5* teams can see us around 500-600, why can't I see lower teams then too? Is there just something broken within the system that only allows dual champ 5*s to "play down" but not single champed 5*? Possibly the system considers us getting dual high level boosted 4*s as already "playing down"?
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    I think the boosted 5* is screwing things up. I'm sure they didn't test what that would do before implementing this. A slight update to my original post: for the GR event, I started immediately after it opened and did get a few smaller teams, which I in turn beat with smaller teams hoping to get a bunch of easy retals--but I opened the game the next morning and had like a dozen wipes. From that point on all I saw again was champed 5* rosters, mostly containing boosted Gambroken.
  • OldManWolvs
    OldManWolvs Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    I think the boosted 5* is screwing things up. I'm sure they didn't test what that would do before implementing this. A slight update to my original post: for the GR event, I started immediately after it opened and did get a few smaller teams, which I in turn beat with smaller teams hoping to get a bunch of easy retals--but I opened the game the next morning and had like a dozen wipes. From that point on all I saw again was champed 5* rosters, mostly containing boosted Gambroken.
    Smokey, go play Sim and beat the pulp out of all the floating 450s Gambits. It's very therapeutic after dealing with Gambroken for a month.