Are the new PVP changes working as expected?

Sm0keyJ0e
Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
Would like to get D3's thoughts on this. I gave the new system a fair shake and it is not working for me at all, to the points where I'm likely just going to go to 16 wins/t10 and mail it in.

Here are my issues, and they point to problems with all of their changes:
1. MMR is completely broken. ALL I can q from start to finish, regardless of score, are champed 5* teams. Not the end of the world (also not fun at all) but the bigger issue is #2...
2. Gambit is a broken character. He has completely nerfed every other 5* and requires no skill to use and there is no defense against him. I have a well-champed 5* roster and I lose roughly 75% of the time to any team that has Gambit paired with HE/Bolt (which is 80% of the teams floating out there). Health packs be damned.
3. The slog to 40 wins is rather ridiculous and a curious counter to the quality of life improvement they made for PVE. There are times, particular weekday events, where... you know, I have to work and take care of family and such. I can play here and there, but this change no longer allows me to hit progression. PVE change was the exact opposite.

So I will continue to re-engage with PVE as I like the QoL changes there and D3 seemed to listen to the player-base. For PVP, I'm likely moving to 16 wins/t10 and out. It's just no fun anymore.

Comments

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought it might work for me but it doesn't as well. I have two 5* champions and they are not great for PvP (OML and Strange - doing great in PvE with the pair and i have always preferred that part) and I have to skip a lot and use a lot of health packs. I get to 16-20 wins per event which nets my previous rewards (10 CP and a token that was there for 650). But getting to 40 wins? No, thank you. I would like to think I have a live. I think no 4* is worth it, especially when you are in 5* land already. Maybe if the next champion level would give me a LT or if it's a missing color to finish a 4* I will do it but for my part - 20 wins is enough.

The finish in top100-top50 remains the same as well. In most cases it gives me also a much higher score than before - around 700-800. But i doubt it will help me get a top100 alliance for the season. Too many people go for 40 wins so the scores are inflated.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I concur.  In some ways my experience is better than yours - I've only got one 5* champ so I'm mostly queuing similar teams of 1 5* champ and boosted 4 all the way down to Boosted 4 + a 3* (at low points).

In other ways it's worse.  Because I don't have a monster roster I get hit plenty, but after losing points the easier teams reappear.  There's an ebb and flow to my points - easy come, easy go.  But I'm not really capable of getting to the multi-thousand point area to ensure a T10 finish, so any cp I manage to earn from placement is 90% due to a lazy bracket.

At the same time, while my matches aren't impossible with 5* gambit everywhere (though they make up about 70% of my retal options), they take long enough that 40 wins is non-trivial.  So not only can I not reliably get cp, I also have difficulty reaching the 4* cover.  

Sidebar - there is a lot of complaining from 5* teams that they can't see anything but 5* teams.  This is demonstrably untrue, because I am getting hit by those teams at middling point values.  "Can't queue" is either hyperbole, or the ones complaining aren't skipping enough.  We're out there and we see your retal nodes.  You're welcome for the easy points.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Would like to get D3's thoughts on this. I gave the new system a fair shake and it is not working for me at all, to the points where I'm likely just going to go to 16 wins/t10 and mail it in.

1. MMR is completely broken. ALL I can q from start to finish, regardless of score, are champed 5* teams.
    I have been getting defensive losses by teams with three champed 5-stars since the change, which is really unusual since I am a 4-star player (half of them champed) with no 5-stars above level 270. I don't see them in my offensive queues, but I'm certainly in theirs.
  • Avalancher
    Avalancher Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    I have four champed 5 stars, and there is no way I would ever go past 16 wins unless I need the cover.  Like now, two events in a row.

The Ghost Rider black has long been one of the last covers I need, and Professor X blue will finish my dupe for Angels.  

I will be experimenting with lesser teams to try to avoid my usual MMR, I will report how it works here in this thread.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can't.  Mmr is locked in. You can try and start and event with 2* on the seeds and still will only see the same people as you would with your A team.  This has been done a ton already. Nothing breaks MMR unless people are shielded or you are high enough in the shard, point wise, then you can see almost everything. 
  • Avalancher
    Avalancher Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    Cool, thanks.  I will climb as fast as I can then and break MMR for an easier path to 40 wins.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can't.  Mmr is locked in. You can try and start and event with 2* on the seeds and still will only see the same people as you would with your A team.  This has been done a ton already. Nothing breaks MMR unless people are shielded or you are high enough in the shard, point wise, then you can see almost everything. 
    The only minor way around this is if you field a weak team on your last seed hit and hope someone lower sees, beats you, and you get their retal.

I do this sometimes if I only want to clear seeds, but then don't want to clog queues for active climbers.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    Calnexin, visibility and MMR depends on a lot of factors. When you said you got hit by "those teams", what was your points, what was their points, what team were you using (5* and boosted 4*? what level was your boosted 4?) and what team were they using (one or 2 championed 5*?)?

Some people with high level championed 5*s will only see other 5*s, until more and more people decide to shield and the MMR gives them the next tier down. Perhaps you got hit when most people are shield hopping already, so you become visible to people who you are not normally visible to unless you score really high in an event.
    I get hit by double-champed 5* as early as 100 points, but more as I climb higher with a major jump around 500-600 points.  Their points tend to be in the same area or a little above, since the retals are worth around 35-45.  I very rarely see one worth 60 or more, though it's entirely possible they'd be worth that if I retaliated and won (which is kind of a **** shoot for my roster, even if I'm aiming to drop whales - in a win-based progression wasting 3 health packs on a 50/50 shot is much less attractive than 3 matches that don't require any).

"High champed 5's" I don't generally see until 800+.  450-470 is normal up to that point.  I can see that 550 champs can't see 4* rosters, but I expect they would have as easy a time beating lv 450 5* as those lv 450 5*s have of beating my 4/5, in which case I don't see where the gripe is (Gambit aside).
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    I am in a very similar boat as you are I am seriously considering only doing the simulator and skipping all other pvp events.  It is a slog to get to 16 wins, I don't have enough 5's to counter the 5 star teams I am seeing.  My only worry is I am not sure I can get to the 10 pack reward doing only the simulator.  I am going to try, I can still find teams in there to beat but the rest of pvp is almost unplayable at the moment.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    005 3* Gambit has been a game changer for me.  If I had to tough through 40 Panthos vs Panthos matches I'd be having a bad time too.  Instead I've been trolling 5* teams with Loaner/3Gambit/DD or Loaner/3Gambit/Phx and it's a lot of fun.  I take plenty of hits which usually keeps me below the Gambit wall where I like to be during the win grind.  I don't even retal 4* teams because DD's power falls drastically when not fighting 5* characters.  After about 30 wins of this and not using a single health pack, its business as usual.  Not too bad.  
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Dormammu said:
    I have been getting defensive losses by teams with three champed 5-stars since the change, which is really unusual since I am a 4-star player (half of them champed) with no 5-stars above level 270. I don't see them in my offensive queues, but I'm certainly in theirs.
    Could those have been retaliations from trapcake teams that you beat previously?
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Working as intended.
  • Uncletas
    Uncletas Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Playing less. Previously I could reach 900 with some good play or timing. It made me feel good that my roster was getting better. Now i can’t even motivate myself to get 40 wins. Tried the first one and got to 26 and just felt burnt out. Shield sim I have 33 wins and 1600 points. Don’t feel like playing 40 more matches. Pve was a grind and now this is too. It is not fun anymore 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I suspect we won't get any official commentary on this for an entire season at minimum.
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

1. MMR is completely broken. ALL I can q from start to finish, regardless of score, are champed 5* teams. Not the end of the world (also not fun at all) but the bigger issue is #2...
    2. Gambit is a broken character. He has completely nerfed every other 5* and requires no skill to use and there is no defense against him. I have a well-champed 5* roster and I lose roughly 75% of the time to any team that has Gambit paired with HE/Bolt (which is 80% of the teams floating out there). Health packs be damned.
    3. The slog to 40 wins is rather ridiculous and a curious counter to the quality of life improvement they made for PVE. There are times, particular weekday events, where... you know, I have to work and take care of family and such. I can play here and there, but this change no longer allows me to hit progression. PVE change was the exact opposite.

So I will continue to re-engage with PVE as I like the QoL changes there and D3 seemed to listen to the player-base. For PVP, I'm likely moving to 16 wins/t10 and out. It's just no fun anymore.

Gambit isn't broken, he's boosted.

I agree with your other two points.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    I suspect we won't get any official commentary on this for an entire season at minimum.
    This.  I think we need to finish out the season (at a minimum) to begin questioning whether or not it is working as intended,
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    I don't need a season to think about it.

The changes have greatly diminished my desire to play PvP. 

MMR is the same as previous seasons and, as someone in 5* land without Gambit or Thanos champed, it is terrible.

I get my 10cp and am done.  Usually puts me around 1k.  It's way too much effort for too little reward.
  • Steellatch
    Steellatch Posts: 85 Match Maker
    edited October 2017
    I have been playing significantly less. Used to be able to reach 900 in around 1 1/2 hours to grab the 4*. Its not even close to how long I have to play to get 40 wins. Plus the daily 7 clears in pve. Plus the DDQ. Plus LR's for the ever growing need for iso.