Quality of life from Demiurge

Options
wymtime
wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
so in the past 12 months this game has gone through some major changes and have sited quality of life for the players.  The devs originally made PVE 4 clears to get max progression stating quality of life for its players so players would not grind.  They made PVE nodes go down to 0 saying players should not be grinding nodes 1000 times as it was unhealthy.  They made scaling based off of CL so players could choose their own difficulty level which again is great for quality of life.

in addition now d3 switches to 5 clears for max progression.  D3 has added a 5* node that increases play time on 3 different CL.  D3 has made PVP, seasons, and simulator win based progression and has set the goal extremely high for each.  Even listening to the puzzle warriors podcast from yesterday the sim wins and the season wins felt really high to them.  These changes directly effect quality of life of the players.
players should not feel like the have to play over 100 matches a day to not fall completely behind the curve.  

I simply challenge the devs to play each event to max progression at the highest CL they can and play for placement in each event and see how they feel after the season.  I challenge you to do this because after the season you won’t feel like you have accomplished and massively progressed you will feel burnt out and exhausted.  I challenge you to play the way many of your patrons are trying to play the game and then tell us how you feel the game has effectied your quality of life.

Comments

• corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Im now playing over 100 matches a day. Now on top of that they throw in 72 lightning rounds. 

At this rate there wont be enough hours in a day to complete everything 
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    No one says i have to do lots of things. Rather pointless to point that out. 

• wymtime
    Options
    tanis3303 said:
    corytutor said:

That may very well be the idea. No one ever said you had to.
    This. I drew a line in the sand when they switched to win-based in PvP. I haven't touched that tab since, and I gotta say...it feels frickin great! I'm back to experimenting with weird teams because it's *gasp* fun! I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, but admittedly I have been playing this game for bloody ever and basically sat out the 5* tier until recently when I decided PvP was not for me, so I had ISO to burn for a long time while everyone else was leveling up Bolt and Thanos and the like. I have a HUGE roster of champed 4*s to play with, as well as 4 champed 5*s now, and every 2 & 3* champed, some 3*s even max champed. And you know what? Every singe one of them is viable in Story mode! (at CL7 where I play at least) 5* Iron Man/Scarlet Witch/2* Mags? Oh yea baby, spam that blue power and blow up the world! Drax/Wasp/Carol? What a treat that is to play, so much synnergy! This event m all stars are Cloak and Dagger with Goblin. 24,000 for 8 black you say? Yes please! I'm having more fun with the game than I have had since back when X-Force Wolvie was the baddest thing you could own, and it's all because I choose NOT to attempt to play everything. It's too much, don't do it. You'll burn out fast.
    First of all congratulations on playing the game you want to play and having fun with all the 4* you are now playing with.  I think you make a great point for players to choose lower CL for quality of life in PVE and not succumbing to the win based PVP like I have tried to do.

i would also say this D3 wants players to play at higher CL and consistently level their roster.  The only way to do this is to either pay though the nose or grind like hell and even then you might fall short.  A philosophy of wanting players not to soft cap and to strive for higher CL should not be driven by mass grinding which is why I want to see devs truly go through this season not only hitting the 40 wins but going for placement in PVE and going for placement in PVE in their highest CL.  They can talk to higher level players all they want but until they experience it and see what they are doing to their player base they will never truly understand.  I they wanted players to choose PVP or PVE they should have left PVP alone
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Obligatory "This wasn't D3 decisions it was Demiurge" post.
  • wymtime
    Options
    Change title just for you.  Hope you are doing well by the way
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime said:
    Change title just for you.  Hope you are doing well by the way
    Yeah I'm good.  Patiently falling behind the curve without a care.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wymtime said:
    tanis3303 said:
    corytutor said:

This. I drew a line in the sand when they switched to win-based in PvP. I haven't touched that tab since, and I gotta say...it feels frickin great! I'm back to experimenting with weird teams because it's *gasp* fun! I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, but admittedly I have been playing this game for bloody ever and basically sat out the 5* tier until recently when I decided PvP was not for me, so I had ISO to burn for a long time while everyone else was leveling up Bolt and Thanos and the like. I have a HUGE roster of champed 4*s to play with, as well as 4 champed 5*s now, and every 2 & 3* champed, some 3*s even max champed. And you know what? Every singe one of them is viable in Story mode! (at CL7 where I play at least) 5* Iron Man/Scarlet Witch/2* Mags? Oh yea baby, spam that blue power and blow up the world! Drax/Wasp/Carol? What a treat that is to play, so much synnergy! This event m all stars are Cloak and Dagger with Goblin. 24,000 for 8 black you say? Yes please! I'm having more fun with the game than I have had since back when X-Force Wolvie was the baddest thing you could own, and it's all because I choose NOT to attempt to play everything. It's too much, don't do it. You'll burn out fast.
    *stuff*
    Oh, no disagreement here. My point is I'm not sure they care. Player enjoyment is probably on their list of priorities, but its way at the bottom. I just hope enough people find a balance before they burn out completely and quit. The game at its core is great and a lot of fun. Its been creeping into a dangerous micro (macro? über-macro?) transaction territory lately, and I think the aggressive monetization is what's eventually going to kill it. I've only stuck with it so long because its been possible to play for free, spending was a choice. Spending is quickly becoming a necessity, and that's shaky ground.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    corytutor said:
    No one says i have to do lots of things. Rather pointless to point that out. 

I'm going to say it. You have to do lots of things! :lol:
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The cynical in me says they don't really care about wether we play too much or not as long as they make money.

I'd like to be proven wrong but 5 clears in PVE, 40 wins, those silly LR's for Thor with the 1:500 odds...
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    corytutor said:

This. When the change was made to PVP, I commented at the time that it seemed like PVE and PVP had become two separates modes that were now too large to both play heavily. The game has been split into playing one or the other. 

As a PVE player, I actually welcome it. Its made it very easy to scale back how much I play PVP now. I have finished the Simulator and I play the events to the 16 wins, and exit. This is a lot less time spent than I did before the change. My quality of life has improved since the change. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sinnerjfl said:
    The cynical in me says they don't really care about wether we play too much or not as long as they make money.

I'd like to be proven wrong but 5 clears in PVE, 40 wins, those silly LR's for Thor with the 1:500 odds...
    As cynical as I am, I don't think they're that short sighted.
    Sure, people might pay a little more in the very short term, but a burned out player just stops spending all together and moves on. It doesn't even take long for that to happen. It's not ignoring the long-term in that case, it's barely as far as mid-term.

I do agree though that their current design philosophy is going against their previous sentiments about  not wanting people to play the game unendingly back when the refresh timers for PvE were 2.5 hours. Or even 8 hours.

Something I hear from our lottery provider at work is "We want lots of people to spend a little, rather than a few spending a lot" and that, IMO, is a better way to structure something like this. Building your game's financial security on a bedrock of whale carcasses is a very poor way to go about it.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The extra amount of play they added is their way to combat PVE tappers. Sure, you can play 8h like a crazy robot for Zero rewards besides a 300 point lead in an event, but you'll miss out on all these Sakaar Heroics and your 40 wins in pvp.
    It's like playing a game of chicken with crazy people.
  • ThePunishers
    ThePunishers Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    It’s helped my quality of life I didn’t take my reg spot in a 3 buy buyclub yesterday and I won’t be purchasing just to purchase moving forward.  Feels great actually :) maybe these changes will actually make me quit the game...  one can hope!  
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It’s helped my quality of life I didn’t take my reg spot in a 3 buy buyclub yesterday and I won’t be purchasing just to purchase moving forward.  Feels great actually :) maybe these changes will actually make me quit the game...  one can hope!  
    Why are you buying instead with your 300$? A Switch? Fine liquor? A bunch of actual comics?
  • meekersX
    meekersX Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Daiches said:
    The extra amount of play they added is their way to combat PVE tappers. Sure, you can play 8h like a crazy robot for Zero rewards besides a 300 point lead in an event, but you'll miss out on all these Sakaar Heroics and your 40 wins in pvp.
    It's like playing a game of chicken with crazy people.
    If this is the case, it doesn't make sense to me. Surely if they actually wanted to combat tappers, they would just make nodes go to 0 at some point.
  • ThePunishers
    ThePunishers Posts: 50 Match Maker
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I play Texas hold ‘em so probably a better investment to gamble it in odds I can better control vs superhero candy crush lol.  

Didn’t play System reboot and only 1 match in Sim.  Won’t do anymore sim, honestly not worth my time to grind out 73 more matches.  

I enjoy pve so still playing that and pvp is fine minus gambit on steroids but that will pass soon enough.   

I’m going to let my lack of spending do most of my talking and I hope others will too.  Unless!!!  They do another 7 cp $2 glitch, I’m all over that!!!
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I agree, between the wins based PVP and SCL9 PVE it feels like they're deliberately trying hard to burn us out.
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I agree, between the wins based PVP and SCL9 PVE it feels like they're deliberately trying hard to burn us out.
    They are so close, believe me.....so very close....