[Movie Talk] Thor Ragnarok is awesome

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    I generally dont watch 3d.  I dont like that it blurs the foreground/sides and directs your focus.  I like to take in details all around the frame and 3d kills that.

That said, there are occasional films where 3d really is something extra.  For example I wish I saw Dr Strange in 3d!
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    alaeth said:
    Is anyone else disappointed at the movie industry's shift to "3D ALL  THE THINGS!!!"?

Unfortunately 3D gives my severe headaches, but we managed to watch a matinee showing Sunday afternoon.
    I'm with you on that one. Very glad my theater does a good job of changing up their schedule so there's usually a 2D showing I can reasonably make it to.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    alaeth said:
    Is anyone else disappointed at the movie industry's shift to "3D ALL  THE THINGS!!!"?

Unfortunately 3D gives my severe headaches, but we managed to watch a matinee showing Sunday afternoon.
    I'm with you on that one. Very glad my theater does a good job of changing up their schedule so there's usually a 2D showing I can reasonably make it to.
    Interesting that you have the option to see 2D. I don't. But then again I'm fine with 3D. I have no problem seeing this kind of movies. 

As an advice for people who still try to adapt to this type, sit as back as you can in the room. If you know you have to watch a 3D, just rezerve a seat in the back of the theater (I always sit in the last 2 rows). If you stay too close to the screen for your eyes to handle, that could be a reason for the headeches and other issues.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    sh81 said:
    I generally dont watch 3d.  I dont like that it blurs the foreground/sides and directs your focus.  I like to take in details all around the frame and 3d kills that.

That said, there are occasional films where 3d really is something extra.  For example I wish I saw Dr Strange in 3d!
    GOTG 2 was pretty great in 3D. I agree that it's not for every movie, but for anything heavy on CGI I find it's pretty cool.
  • [Deleted User]
    Jarvind said:
    sh81 said:

GOTG 2 was pretty great in 3D. I agree that it's not for every movie, but for anything heavy on CGI I find it's pretty cool.
    I actually saw GOTG2 in 3d.  It was a GOTG1 and 2 double bill when 2 released.

And while the 3d was a good effect, my comlaint still stood.  I dont like the blurry foreground/edges forcing me to focus in certain areas.

There are films where its so much better - Avatar was incredible.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    alaeth said:

Where have you been since Avatar?

My biggest complaint about the movie is that Hela seems to be more the "goddess of swords" much more than the goddess of death. Sure, she kills everyone (with swords)... but... no imagination at all.

Other than that, loved it.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    sh81 said:
    Jarvind said:
    sh81 said:

And while the 3d was a good effect, my comlaint still stood.  I dont like the blurry foreground/edges forcing me to focus in certain areas.

The thing is that even if you watch it in 2D you still see those blurry edges, because the movie was shot in 3D, so they intend to blur the background to highlight something else. 

I agree though that not every movie should be shot this way, but that's the trend I guess. Believe it or not the most beautiful & the best 3D I saw this far was Madagascar 3. My god, that was 3D galore and you enjoyed every bit of it. I think it's better than Avatar by a mile from the 3D point of view. You could feel that you were standing near them in some scenes, especially that one were the Lion sees himself old, at the beginning of the movie... really good 3D scene there.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thor wasn't shot in 3d, it was post converted.
  • [Deleted User]
    D4Ni13 said:
    sh81 said:
    Jarvind said:
    sh81 said:

The thing is that even if you watch it in 2D you still see those blurry edges, because the movie was shot in 3D, so they intend to blur the background to highlight something else. 

I agree though that not every movie should be shot this way, but that's the trend I guess. Believe it or not the most beautiful & the best 3D I saw this far was Madagascar 3. My god, that was 3D galore and you enjoyed every bit of it. I think it's better than Avatar by a mile from the 3D point of view. You could feel that you were standing near them in some scenes, especially that one were the Lion sees himself old, at the beginning of the movie... really good 3D scene there.
    I think a lof of 3D is done post filming, rather than in camera.  And I think thats the problem, the quality of the post conversion varies wildly.

I saw Avatar in 3d at an IMAX and my word it was incredible.  It was shot in 3d, so everything just had perspective - it was genuinely amazing.  

With Avatars 2+ coming soon the original will no doubt be shown again.  Despite being a bit of a 'meh' movie Id recommend anyone to watch it in 3d at the cinema if they get the chance.

I think thats the problem, Ive seen it done very well - and the difference between Avatar and anything else Ive seen in 3d is massive.  Mostly in other 3d films Ive watched its more distracting than immersive.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    One of my favorite Marvel movies to date. The best Thor movie by leaps and bounds — I thought the first two were terrible, and amongst the worst Marvel movies. I loved the level of comedy, but yes, this one leans into it.
  • 8punch
    8punch Posts: 97 Match Maker
    i thought the movie was incredible. lot of stand out performaces . hulk, thor, hela were all fantastic. Valkyre didnt do much for me though.

also i am big 3D supporter if done right. however a lot of marvel movies have terrible 3D. earlier marvel movies had flat out terrible 3D. i remember being excited for first avengers movie in 3D and it was terrible. winter soldier didnt help much either. so i basicly gave up on marvel movies in 3D. that said i hope Secret wars will have amazing 3D since i expect a lot from that movie cgi wise. and star wars 7 had some nice 3D.

actually beowulf from 2007 made me a believer in 3D, Avatar was icing on the cake. but these days a lot of movies miss that wow effect in 3D. hopefully Avatar 2 which will have glasses free 3D, will set raise standard again. if there is 1 person this planet that can do it. it is james Cameron!

talking about James Cameron were are my true lies and the abyss blurays????  :smile:
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    alaeth said:

My kids outright refuse to see anything in 3D and frankly I support that decision 100%.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Went with a different group of friends and saw it again last night. Liked it even more the second time! :smiley:
  • ramoramo86
    ramoramo86 Posts: 89 Match Maker
    no the movie was "awesome" it was good. I give 5/7
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    I'll be that **** who takes a dump on your beloved movie. I hated it!

Movie is titled "Thor, Ragnarok" but most of the running time and all the significant plot development takes place in Sakaar. "Planet Hulk" would've been more accurate.

Comedy by itself is not an issue but there are several issues with the jokes. Some of them fall flat, some are repeated over and over again. Almost all of them are completely gratuitous and instead of developing a character or plot element they do the opposite, they interrupt the story just for the sake of doing something funny. Other jokes are just puerile slapstick comedy. Thor dropping and breaking stuff, or being hit by a bouncing ball in the face. Seriously?! You find that funny? How old are you? Also, many jokes seem to have been improvised on set, not written on the screenplay and this ultimately only hurts the actor's reputations. Chris Hemsworth has always been lauded as an actor with a knack for comedy but here we found out he's not that funny by himself, he needs a good screenplay.

This movie is just so self-indulgent. Loaded with jokes that should have been edited out. A director that inserts himself in the story and ends up having more screen time and lines than big characters like Odin or Surtr. Dr. Strange's cameo which could have been cut completely without affecting the plot. The whole Sakaar subplot which becomes the main plot and that was put into the movie simply because it's cool to have Thor and Hulk fighting each other and there's a ton of action figures that need to be sold. The Led Zeppelin song which was cool in the trailer, ends up being played not once, but twice in the actual movie like this is just a cheap spectacle and not a big budget epic fantasy movie based on Norse myths. Total. Absolute. Self-indulgent. ****.

Sorry, but this movie was a huge disappointment. It's an all-in self-parody and not even a good one at that. Weirdest thing is listening to some fanboys who totally hate campy Batman (the sixties series and Schumacher's movies) and yet they praise this **** and even have the audacity to proclaim that the comic-book movie genre has been redefined.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Fanboy complaining about fanboys. Self-parody post?

Went see it again the other night, but after having a few drinks, feel asleep from right after hulk beats Thor to ship escape from Skaar. Not a comment on the movie, more of me getting old and being to fall asleep in a theater.