[Movie Talk] Thor Ragnarok is awesome

Comments

• Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    STOPTHIS said:
    How prevalent is the humor? The trailers make me think there's too much humor. 

There's a lot and IMO yes it's too much. Very fan service-y too. People complained about GotG2, but it's basically nonstop here with nowhere near the same level of character or emotional depth. Given the stakes and events of the movie it feels out of place.

Wasn't an objectively terrible movie (though it's a bit of a mess structurally), and I can see why people are raving about it, but I didn't really care for it and it falls into the bottom half of the MCU films for me.
  • DarqFeonix
    DarqFeonix Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Pongie said:
    D4Ni13 said:

Pongie said:
    I hope a new 5* Loki Is coming...
    Matt Damon
    This was a joke itself, lol. People didn't laughed out loud, but everybody was amuzed by that scene. 
    I cracked up as soon as I saw him. Lucky it was a late session on opening day so only a dozen of us in the cinemas. Had me in stitches, so much that I didn’t even realise who was playing Thor and Odin.
    I was dying at that scene... Best cameo since Eurotrip.  Odin was Sam Neill (he of Jurassic Park fame) and Thor was Luke Hemsworth (he of... brother fame?). It was great... 

I like to think they were the *actual* actors flown in from Midgard.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I kick myself for not noticing who any of them were.
    I jumped on IMDB after watching the movie and went "Wait, Matt Damon was in the movie!? Where!?" and was so annoyed I hadn't noticed *any* of them.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    I kick myself for not noticing who any of them were.
    I jumped on IMDB after watching the movie and went "Wait, Matt Damon was in the movie!? Where!?" and was so annoyed I hadn't noticed *any* of them.

Same here, DN. Although I did think to myself "that guy playing 'Actor Thor' sure looks a lot like Chris Hemsworth"

Yet I was able to recognise the guy who says "Food or Fighter" from a friends wedding 11 years ago ahaha

• Jsh2014
    Jsh2014 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    This movie was awesome jokes were funny as heck the entire audience in the theater was laughing at the same time I think the Sakar timing was a little short could have elaborated a little further on Sakaar and I would agree that  They needed to have way more Hela in it but out of the 3 Thor movies it was the best 
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker

So Asgard is the newest craftworld?  

Is the Devil's Anus the Eye of Terror?  

Was Sakaar once known as Cadia?

• fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    Man, I am usually all about enthusiastic gushing, but I did not dig this movie.

Like, I loved a ton of the humor and the action and it was full of characters I loved doing things I loved and thought were cool, but the whole thing didn't work for me as a movie for some reason.

Skygazing said:
    STOPTHIS said:
    How prevalent is the humor? The trailers make me think there's too much humor. 

There's a lot and IMO yes it's too much. Very fan service-y too. People complained about GotG2, but it's basically nonstop here with nowhere near the same level of character or emotional depth. Given the stakes and events of the movie it feels out of place.

Wasn't an objectively terrible movie (though it's a bit of a mess structurally), and I can see why people are raving about it, but I didn't really care for it and it falls into the bottom half of the MCU films for me.
    This basically gets at what I'm thinking. I love Marvel for it's humor, but it seemed to lean too heavily on this, to the point where it felt distracting in places, and the movie also didn't have any real emotional punch to it. Like, to the extent that the character who has by far, BY FAR, the most interesting character arc is a minor character that doesn't even show up in any of the movie posters. (He also pulls out an excellent example of Chekhov's guns.)

I mean, it's fine to make a movie like without a real emotional arc and I've certainly enjoyed Marvel movies that haven't had that sort of punch. I think the makers may have accidentally cued me into thinking I was watching a GotG move though via, well, everything, and this is not GotG. This is only people fighting and blowing up stuff plus humor. Which again, can be a great, but when I was expecting something more, it didn't work for me.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Won't this thread get the SPOILER ALERT warning?

• TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Maybe it wouldn't have felt so over-the-top with the comedy if Korg and Miek weren't there. They were so off-the-wall it was obvious they were the comic relief, and you don't really need comic relief in a movie that already has a bunch of laughs.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,112 Chairperson of the Boards
    As well as all the Flash Gordon influences, there was a lot in the film from Walt Simonson's Thor run when it came to the actual Ragnarok parts (witness Surtur' s appearance alone) and his version of Thor did have a sense of humour and wit, so I didn't mind it.

But lets be honest: once you get to the bit where the Grandmaster is introduced, there really was no way back to taking thing seriously...
  • DAZ0273
    As well as all the Flash Gordon influences, there was a lot in the film from Walt Simonson's Thor run when it came to the actual Ragnarok parts (witness Surtur' s appearance alone) and his version of Thor did have a sense of humour and wit, so I didn't mind it.

But lets be honest: once you get to the bit where the Grandmaster is introduced, there really was no way back to taking thing seriously...
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really liked it.

LOVED talking Hulk, and really hope audiences latch on to what the Hulk is really all about and let go of their 80s perfection of tv Hulk. CGI Hulk kinda stood out in places.

Tons of humor, but some of it very out of place especially with Korg in the final moments. But the welcome to Skaar ride was hilarious and reminded me of the roller coaster in fallout 4 nuka world.

Another technical criticism was that Loki's costume looked really cheap and the plastic stood out. It was more costume to me than Asgardian armor.
  • Keirain1982
    Keirain1982 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Firstly I'd like to say I loved the film, in my opinion the best of all three films. Loved the action, loved the humour (mostly), and liked how they tied in the destruction of Asgard (sorry, spoiler!).
    However, there were a few things I wasn't keen on.
    1) I thought Dr Strange wasn't actually necessary to have in the film. They could've done that section without him. If you're going to put him in, give him an extended role somehow.
    2) The humour, whilst good, was sometimes too much and took away the essence of the film. At times it felt like it was a Thor sitcom.
    But as I said, I still loved the film, and will be getting it on DVD and watching it again.
    And that it is the perfect example of a tinykitty sandwich :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    As great as Korg was, I was a little disappointed in him.

Its conflicting, on one hand he was a real highlight of the movie, but on the other he wasnt like he was in the book.

At least, to my memory - its been a while since I read it.

Both him and Miek were major players in Planet Hulk, but seem to have been completely changed for the movie. 

Id almost have preferred they werent Korg and Miek, just random funny aliens.
  • DAZ0273
    Well to be fair, it wasn't really a faithful adaptation of Planet Hulk, more they took the base concept and then lots of liberties. So, no Korg is pretty different and his inclusion seems to be in part so they could make some rock paper scissor jokes...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    I get that, and in the scheme of things its a minor complaint.

I enjoyed the film a great deal and Korg was a big part of that.  Its just a detail that nags at me.
  • DAZ0273
    No, I think it is a legitimate complaint to the extent they took it with Korg. In the book, he and the other gladiators actually teach Hulk how to fight tactically and are serious characters. However as Thor was the main antagonist this time and he is warrior thousands of years old, that wouldn't really make sense to be Korg's role. Thor already is a perfect gladiator. Although a "Rocky" training montage might have been fun.

• alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Is anyone else disappointed at the movie industry's shift to "3D ALL  THE THINGS!!!"?

Unfortunately 3D gives my severe headaches, but we managed to watch a matinee showing Sunday afternoon.