[Movie Talk] Thor Ragnarok is awesome

D4Ni13
D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
edited October 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Just seen the new Thor movie and it's awesome as Hela!! Really exceded my expectations, and was by far the best Thor movie. Also I think it is the best action-comedy Marvel ever produced to date. All the jokes in the movie were good and made you laugh. 

Hela is badass, Heimdall is badass, Thor is badass, Hulk is funny, and so on. Really recommend the movie!

PS. I want Hela in the game soooo bad now. Hope she will get Yondu's treatment :)

//Edited Title for Clarity -Brigby

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    D4Ni13 said:
    PS. I want Hela in the game soooo bad now. Hope she will get Yondu's treatment :)
    A bad power, a meh power, a good power, and break all the sound effects?
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Ehh, Hela was powerful, but wasted really. Did her story really benefit the movie? Or was the sakaar story line just plain better? I wish we'd have hung out on sakaar longer. Feels like a wasted opportunity to me :/

I really dug Valkyrie though. And I would love to see her meet Jessica Jones, that needs to be a short film :D

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    is it Hela-cool? 

(sorry, couldn't resist)
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 said:
    Lol. Good one :smiley:

thisone said:
    Ehh, Hela was powerful, but wasted really. Did her story really benefit the movie? Or was the sakaar story line just plain better? I wish we'd have hung out on sakaar longer. Feels like a wasted opportunity to me :/

I really dug Valkyrie though. And I would love to see her meet Jessica Jones, that needs to be a short film :D

I'd say her story benefited the movie, at least from an emotional point of view and a better understanding of what Asgard really means. Cannot say more on this because I would give spoilers, but Thor was never one of my favorite avengers. This movie made him grow a lot in my eyes and he is a far better established character at the end. And this is all about Hela and what position she put him in: to take that final & crucial decision.

I think it was the perfect combination between the sakaar story and the Asgard one. 
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    D4Ni13 said:
    D4Ni13 said:
    Lol. Good one :smiley:

thisone said:

I'd say her story benefited the movie, at least from an emotional point of view and a better understanding of what Asgard really means. Cannot say more on this because I would give spoilers, but Thor was never one of my favorite avengers. This movie made him grow a lot in my eyes and he is a far better established character at the end. And this is all about Hela and what position she put him in: to take that final & crucial decision.

I think it was the perfect combination between the sakaar story and the Asgard one. 
    The thing you're talking about is between Thor and Odin though, there was not one emotional scene involving Hela. With all the great dynamics between characters in this film, and heck even Hela's minion is more developed and has a bigger character arc. She did kinda stick out like a sore thumb. Hela is a plot device, not a character imho. Massive waste of a good actress for me.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    How prevalent is the humor? The trailers make me think there's too much humor.

Also spoiler-y question:
    Does Hela live? I dig the fan theory of her replacing Death as Thanos' object of affection.

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    STOPTHIS said:
    I haven't seen it, but the director's comments in interviews indicate there is a lot. He said his vision for Thor was basically Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China, in space.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards

There is a lot of humour in it.  Very Kiwi, and Korg is just a big Maori made of rock (the scene where they talk about Thor's relationship with his hammer, a mixed up version also available on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIAp8atjuTs, priceless).  When I saw it, some dialogue was missed because of audience laughter.

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,183 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Definitely one of the best MCU movies, and that says a lot given we've had six years' worth of movies. Right up there with the first Avengers and first GotG movies. Taika Waititi deserves a lot of credit for that. The first Thor movie was decent, while The Dark World...erm. The only memorable bit about the latter was the Viking funeral for Frigga. Ragnarok, though, was one heck of a ride from start to finish.

Agree with Hela being relatively underwhelming though. Cate Blanchett deserves much better. Although I think the movie did a good job of establishing Hela's power in relation to Thor's and Loki's, such that Thor has to make the decision he does to deal with Hela.

I also like the nod to the comics, especially Jason Aaron's run (well, that's how I saw it)

Oh, and I watched it in IMAX 3D, so it was ABSOLUTELY STUNNING (insert starry-eyed emoji here). Especially Thor summoning all that lightning, and Hela vs the Valkyries (these ain't spoilers cos they were in the trailers)
  • D4Ni13
    STOPTHIS said:

Also spoiler-y question:
    Does Hela live? I dig the fan theory of her replacing Death as Thanos' object of affection.
    There were a lot of jokes, and they all landed, so you won't fill that they were too much. In GotG 2 I felt most jokes were forced, and I was ... 'meh, get on with it'. But here I was enjoying every single one of them. There was some references to the first Avengers movie, regarding Loki, those were funny too. 

As for the spoiler question, it's best to see the movie without knowing the answer. 

Pongie said:
    I hope a new 5* Loki Is coming...
    Matt Damon
    This was a joke itself, lol. People didn't laughed out loud, but everybody was amuzed by that scene. 
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    I liked it a lot, but I can see some die-hard Marvel fans hating it. It's a brilliant comedy-action and, frankly, I can't remember last time when I laughed so much in the cinema, but perhaps it's not serious enough? I mean - it's Ragnarok - I expected something more dark, but instead even more serious moments are often interrupted by jokes (really good ones, though).

Still, I liked it. I had no idea before what Ragnarok is about (only a little bit explaination from my gf) and in the end, I learned the story and had a good time. I'd gladly watch it again.

Amazing as comedy.
    Really good as action movie.
    ??? as Marvel movie, it all depends on what you expect from them. If you aim just for entertainment - go see it, hell even if you want a serious movie, go see it for the jokes alone and complain about the rest later.
  • D4Ni13
    edited October 2017
    Alsmir said:
    I liked it a lot, but I can see some die-hard Marvel fans hating it. It's a brilliant comedy-action and, frankly, I can't remember last time when I laughed so much in the cinema, but perhaps it's not serious enough? I mean - it's Ragnarok - I expected something more dark, but instead even more serious moments are often interrupted by jokes (really good ones, though).

Still, I liked it. I had no idea before what Ragnarok is about (only a little bit explaination from my gf) and in the end, I learned the story and had a good time. I'd gladly watch it again.

Amazing as comedy.
    Really good as action movie.
    ??? as Marvel movie, it all depends on what you expect from them. If you aim just for entertainment - go see it, hell even if you want a serious movie, go see it for the jokes alone and complain about the rest later.
    For me it was the best combinationcof both worlds, regarding action and comedy. The combination between the 2 separate stories, was also really good. And the pace was perfect for me. Never felt that any scene was dragged on, or hurried up. Great experience in the cinema. 

If one wants to nitpick, any movie has its problems. But I think the sensation you have when you leave the theater matters the most. 
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    They were hyping it as a buddy comedy last year, I'm glad that kept to that.  It's also good to mix it up a little bit and not stick with the same formula as it was getting a bit old even though I have enjoyed all marvel movies.  What I'm hoping for is a good horror movie someday.  Maybe marvel zombies or dr. strange that delves into supernatural horror type deal.  As long as there is a decent story, I don't fret to much about universe canon.  Kind of like when they blew up the old star trek universe with last 3 films.
  • ckempo
    ckempo Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Saw it this morning, it's ace. Really enjoyed it, the humour is really well done. A Hela or Valkyrie would be welcomed, thought they were both great; Scourge was a bit shoe-horned in but has a full arc, and the cameos had me creasing with laughter. 
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    D4Ni13 said:

Pongie said:
    I hope a new 5* Loki Is coming...
    Matt Damon
    This was a joke itself, lol. People didn't laughed out loud, but everybody was amuzed by that scene. 
    I cracked up as soon as I saw him. Lucky it was a late session on opening day so only a dozen of us in the cinemas. Had me in stitches, so much that I didn’t even realise who was playing Thor and Odin.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    That might have been the best comedy movie of the year.
    -the physical; like banner jumping out the plane, thor spinning, walking in a circle
    -mad respect to the dialogue writers, that was fast and snappy like 30Rock meets Bojack
    Valkrie had some of the best scenes:
    - "he's mine"....fall overboard
    - "i was gonna say your drinking was a problem and would probably kill you- ohh i'm not stopping drinking...",
    - stabbing Hela
    tom hiddleston during the arena fight
    Cate blanchett doing the full swagger on the rainbow bridge
    ?Who but Jeff Goldblum could be that great and campy as Grandmaster, maybe tim curry 15 years ago(Captives with jobs ... see that DOES sound better :)  
    Imigrant song as thor leaps into the fray of Zombies all lightning and badkitty. all weekend im gonna be dundadundadunda AAAHHHHHHHH dundadunda Ahhhhhhh... from the midnight land...
    Supposedly its 250 for an autograph, i would pay so much more than that for Stan Lee to give me a bad haircut;
    -imagine the lines for that at the SDCC!
    Like Logan did with OML this will make me revisit one of my other favorite modern story lines: planet hulk (also skaar son of hulk, world war hulk)

Great Movie! It's fun & easy to enjoy! I'm going to see it again and probably buy the BR when it drops! 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Best "one on many" fight scenes since LotR and the Sauron flashbacks. It made me really want a Surtr Boss Event. And yeah, I'm going to have Immigrant Song stuck in my head for weeks.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Saw it today with the kids - I loved it, and I'm a fan of all Taika's films, but well done Marvel on bringing him into their world :)