Catering to heavy spenders

is this what pvp has come to? I’ve done my fair share of buy clubs, but let’s discuss.

pvp new system top 10 is full of whales.
floaters... well it’s whales and boosted gambit.
speaking of boosted gambit... 4 weeks..

the only winner here? You guessed it. Whales.

I would love for somebody from D3 to step up and prove me wrong you basically changed all this because of their cash flow.

not a rant here. And I’m sure plenty have said it, but let’s be real here

Comments

• shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Hoarders? Yes 
    Whales?  yes, but not to that degree

This will just encourage saving for 300 pulls on the day a 5 is added, pull until that 5 is champed and then hoard again for 6 more weeks
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    PLBIV said:
    This is seriously the least fun I’ve had doing anything voluntarily.  Boosted 5* new release is a total mess.  It’s unplayable.  10-20 people floating at 1000 that I have no chance to beat.  Those are the only people I can queue.  How can I stack up 40 wins in this scenario!?!?  The awards system was a joke (CP for top 10).  I’m not laughing any more.
    Obviously this isn't a good idea for placement, but you're probably not going to get that anyway unless youhave that character yourself.  Lose.  Throw some 1* teams at those gambits and tank your score.  Your MMR will show you easier teams.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    I'm not even fooling with Gambit right now. I've got bigger problems to worry about, like 400+ Dr. Doom being the weakest character I'm facing with my 451 Starlord team  :p

Was MMR secretly opened up to the higher level teams with wins based PVP? Or are these teams climbing so quickly I am now visible to them? Maybe its something else entirely, I don't know. All I know is that I need to get me another 5 or 6 5* champs QUICK!
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    MMR is roster (not team used) and score (compared to the rest of the shard that plays in the same tier as you). So tanking does affect your MMR.  It just doesn't necessarily let you see teams that are lower tier than you.    If you run across a Gambit wall at 900 or so you've zoomed past your peers and the score difference is too big to see them.  Tank down to 500 and you'll see your regular buddies who've been chillin at lower scores.  So no you can't tank and expect to see 4* teams who haven't zoomed past their own peers, but you can see regular 5* teams again.  Which is much better than a Gambit team.  
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Hoarders? Yes 
    Whales?  yes, but not to that degree

This will just encourage saving for 300 pulls on the day a 5 is added, pull until that 5 is champed and then hoard again for 6 more weeks
    Definitely caters to the whales.  You can't hoard fast enough without spending to champ a new character immediately.  For the next 1-2 new releases, sure, because some people have been hoarding for so long but at some point their hoard will be depleted.  Thor release won't be as bad as this one.  
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Beer40 said:
    I'm not even fooling with Gambit right now. I've got bigger problems to worry about, like 400+ Dr. Doom being the weakest character I'm facing with my 451 Starlord team  :p

Was MMR secretly opened up to the higher level teams with wins based PVP? Or are these teams climbing so quickly I am now visible to them? Maybe its something else entirely, I don't know. All I know is that I need to get me another 5 or 6 5* champs QUICK!
    It was definitely opened up. My highest character is Carol at 292. With points based pvp I would usually just see teams around 270-315 and now I'm seeing teams in Shield Sim as high as the low 400s. Granted I also see the occasional 3* team as well.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017
    I'm amazed there's hasn't been more outcry about boosting Gambit for 4 weeks.  It feels like they are wall-to-wall in PvP right now and whilst boosted even with a decent selection of champed 5*s I have a next to zero chance of beating most of them.

Another point I haven't seen mentioned yet.  It's been all but impossible to even get enough team up ap to Whale the bigger (boosted) Gambit users, whereas I've rarely had a problem Whaling even 550's in the past if the mood took me.  The super-whales must absolutely love this!!!
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    I'm amazed there's hasn't been more outcry about boosting Gambit for 4 weeks.  It feels like they are wall-to-wall in PvP right now and whilst boosted even with a decent selection of champed 5*s I have a next to zero chance of beating most of them.

Another point I haven't seen mentioned yet.  It's been all but impossible to even get enough team up ap to Whale the bigger (boosted) Gambit users, whereas I've rarely had a problem Whaling even 550's if the past if the mood took me.  The super-whales must absolutely love this!!!
    fastest way to drop some whales.
    Deadpool/Switch/ and of course your own 0/0/5 Gambit
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    OJSP said:
    Hadronic said:

Another point I haven't seen mentioned yet.  It's been all but impossible to even get enough team up ap to Whale the bigger (boosted) Gambit users, whereas I've rarely had a problem Whaling even 550's if the past if the mood took me.  The super-whales must absolutely love this!!!
    Not sure if you ever tried it against 5*s... That could only work in SHIELD Sim and they sometimes even won't survive against lvl 450s 5*s, with Deadpool keep jumping to the front and taking hits. It definitely won't work in events where we can only bring 2 characters, and where Gambit can hit us with his Red power for 15k+ after the 2nd turn if he is paired with a charged tile maker.
    Exactly this.  I've normally only bothered Whaling previously in order to bake and have used Thanos/3storm in order to accelerate the team up ap gain (some people use 2* Marvel).

I guess SW/Deadpool could last long enough with a tanky essential vs random 450's.  Maybe even against a 450 Gambolt.  But certaintly not vs 550's barring miraculous Ai like cascades on the 4-5 moves you'd have.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    OJSP said:
    Hadronic said:

Not sure if you ever tried it against 5*s... That could only work in SHIELD Sim and they sometimes even won't survive against lvl 450s 5*s, with Deadpool keep jumping to the front and taking hits. It definitely won't work in events where we can only bring 2 characters, and where Gambit can hit us with his Red power for 15k+ after the 2nd turn if he is paired with a charged tile maker.
    Using 2 AP boost purple/2 AP boost all I nearly pulled whales off against 540 Gambit/400+ Doom/350 Rogue with 336 (boosted) Steve/360 Doom/266 DP. Deadpool got dropped the match before I could fire.

Tried again, this time with 451 Starlord in place of Steve. Got it, went to kill that team...and realized I DID NOT have enough DP points to drop "all the whales". 

0 for 2, but got a good laugh out of it.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    why would they not cater to people who pay the bills?
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    PvP? Someone actually playes that?
    After joining level 5 and got my **** kicked by teams with 2 promoted 5*s, and since defensive wins are not counting AND getting 10CP from progress pool takes 30% longer than usual, i am starting to thinking about abandoning PvP completely and focusing purely on PvE...