Fix X Force Wolverine

Options
Jsh2014
Jsh2014 Posts: 87 Match Maker
 It's been along time since X force wolvie was nerfed  with all these strong characters coming out wouldn't it be nice to have him back where he was he would be extremely useful now I like using him but nine times out of 10 we use them in the battle he's down quickly and you end  up losing let's hear what you guys think.

Comments

• Jsh2014
    Jsh2014 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Options
    mexus said:
    I would love to see him buffed. I am still relatively new to the game (a year + some) so I never saw the good version of him.
    I have 13 covers but just like Sandman he is a low priority for me so I hesitate on giving him more ISO (I gave him some today so he could beat Cyclops easier). With the X-Men theme going on and all it would have been a perfect surprise gift to rebalance him.
    You missed it LOL he was the one that everyone used in pvp and the week I fully covered him they nerfed him I was so friggen pissed.  He was so much better  before his nerf you think they would start looking nerfs form years ago I think if they restored him he would be very usable 
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'd be happy with the drain being back on SS alone, they could leave the damage numbers the same and I'd be just fine with it.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Surgical Strike does a ton of damage most of the time, so I'm not sure bringing back its AP drain is really warranted. It also tends to cause lots of cascades since it wipes out an entire color. 

I could get behind some minor improvement to his yellow - maybe fortify at 5 covers or shorten the CD a bit - but it does heal an enormous chunk of his health even at 3 covers, which gives him a lot of staying power. I think that tends to get overlooked.

He'd be fine if his green either did more damage, or was manually targeted. I lean towards the latter - he's already a beast of board shake, might as well make him the undisputed king. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,615 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    His green needs something definitely. I like the idea of it being targeted without extra match damage as long as it could take out any kind of tile.

My gripe with his yellow is that the AI can take it out with a Match 4 that destroys a row and it doesn't trigger for the damage, so that is another drawback versus all the other Wolverine's who have healing power. You already have to wait nervously and as you probably need that health, it is not fun.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    Surgical Strike does a ton of damage most of the time, so I'm not sure bringing back its AP drain is really warranted. It also tends to cause lots of cascades since it wipes out an entire color. 

I could get behind some minor improvement to his yellow - maybe fortify at 5 covers or shorten the CD a bit - but it does heal an enormous chunk of his health even at 3 covers, which gives him a lot of staying power. I think that tends to get overlooked.

He'd be fine if his green either did more damage, or was manually targeted. I lean towards the latter - he's already a beast of board shake, might as well make him the undisputed king. 
    I think that's all he really needs and maybe up the damage on yellow on a match while making it protected at 5 covers

There was a point when I'd use SS even if the board didn't have much of the strongest color just to drain them and get the color I'd needed if we shared it.

With xforce's low health meh damage on his green and and High AP requirement on his yellow as well as it being a countdown. I don't think asking for the drain back on his black is too much.

Especially now that we have more than a few characters that do the same thing if not similar for lower ap cost.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Surgical Strike is a good power until your enemy's strongest color is black and the board is empty of it because Surgical Strike is so expensive that you've sucked every scrap of black off the board. Your enemy is likely chasing its strongest color leaving little of it on the board anyway. His green damage is laughable and the tile destruction goes against the current meta of special tiles and maintaining board control - board shakers are a thing of the distant past (just like XFW). His yellow should absolutely be a passive heal; as it exists it is neither a reliable damage tool nor a reliable healing tool, so what good is it?

In summery, XFW is one of the worst 4-stars in the game.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I feel like they have no idea what to do with WXF. When released he was terrible. Then buffed to OP levels. Then nerfed to terrible again. I shudder to think what he'll be if they look at him again.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    His green damage is laughable and the tile destruction goes against the current meta of special tiles and maintaining board control - board shakers are a thing of the distant past (just like XFW). 

In summery, XFW is one of the worst 4-stars in the game.
    I'm confused by this. If the meta is special tiles, then wouldn't targeted board destruction make him an effective counter to it? 
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Not if they are yours :)  His yellow needs a ton of work green need a damage upgrade he is a mess.  His black is great, once, then it is iffy.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    I'm confused by this. If the meta is special tiles, then wouldn't targeted board destruction make him an effective counter to it? 
    Yeah, if you could target his green that would be an effective counter. I was more commenting/venting about his current state - which is in bad need of a re-balance. I am in agreement with any improvements for XFW, especially since he is currently my highest level character.
  • Vold
    Vold Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I just beat Cyclops classic with Wolverine X-Force on Deadpool daily though he was not champ yet.

had to boost him though, lol

two tries then manage to win.

this is my second final section of DDQ I manage to win due to my lack of Required characters 
  • Dormammu
    Options
    I had acquired a bunch of +X-Men Damage boosts so I added 5 of those for +100% damage and took out Cyclops with one cast of black. Got lucky and the board turned red-heavy at the right time.  o:)
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I found it amusing that the level 270 3* Cyclops had more health than my level 295 4* Wolverine
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have him at 12 covers and now hes on HfH. I want to champ him but 3600 HP is just to much for a weak 4*. But If i do ignore him now i can swear that they will buff him and i will regret it. Decisions....
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    talleman said:
    I have him at 12 covers and now hes on HfH. I want to champ him but 3600 HP is just to much for a weak 4*. But If i do ignore him now i can swear that they will buff him and i will regret it. Decisions....
    It's been years since his nerf. I'm not touching him until they announce something.
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Anon said:
    talleman said:
    It's been years since his nerf. I'm not touching him until they announce something.
    They buffed Nick Fury. You never know :p
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,615 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vold said:
    I just beat Cyclops classic with Wolverine X-Force on Deadpool daily though he was not champ yet.

this is my second final section of DDQ I manage to win due to my lack of Required characters 
    I lost twice to Cyclops before third time the charm and my XFW is champed, Lol! I had 2 bad boards but even so, that just shows how bad he can be!
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I still like XFW.  He was my first maxed four star (you know, back when it was him, basically unusable Invisible Woman, and Nick Fury*), and Ive used him at nearly every version of his power set from his worthless originals to the current version.

I think everyone asking to improve Surgical Strike is barking up the wrong tree.  It’s a solid power with very high damage and board shake potential when used at the right time.

His green is a reasonably fast skill with very high board shake at five covers, but only at five covers.  It could be given higher base damage, have its cost reduced slightly, or given some sort of secondary effect like Carnage’s bonus damage for special tiles destroyed.  Maybe it could generate one black AP for every enemy special tile destroyed, or put out a couple of strike tiles after the board settles.  This is the only Wolverine version without strikes, after all.

The real problem with Wolverine is that his yellow is slow (not as slow as it once was, remember that seven-turn countdown?) and unreliable, but he has the health pool of someone with a much better self-healing skill.  Compare his yellow to the healing abilities of 2*, 3*, or 5* Wolverine and every single one of those is better.  Compare it to Daken or X-23.  Compare it to 3* Groot, Cloak and Dagger, Silver Surfer... the list goes on.  I think the only true healing skill less impressive than XFW’s is Yondu’s, and I haven’t used Yondu enough yet to be sure on that — his doesn’t require AP and still has some effect of the countdown is only out for a few turns before being removed.  Amadeus Cho, also, but that’s because it’s a tiny heal balanced for someone with a huge health pool.

Fix XFW with a complete redesign to make yellow a decent heal and he might be viable with just that change.

Here’s an idea that might work: anytime there isn’t one on the board, XFW passively makes a countdown that restores X health when it resolves.  If he is below Y% health, and bone are on the board, he makes two or three countdowns.  Additional covers could lower countdown time, modify the health threshold, increase the health Per countdown, or give more countdowns at low health — lots of ways to tweak it.  This would keep the different flavor of XFW’s countdown heal, while restoring him to the MPQ Wolverine play style.

* I have been playing this game way too long.
  • throughsilver
    throughsilver Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Dayv said:
    I still like XFW.  He was my first maxed four star (you know, back when it was him, basically unusable Invisible Woman, and Nick Fury*), and Ive used him at nearly every version of his power set from his worthless originals to the current version.

* I have been playing this game way too long.
    You and me both! Fury was a complete boss at that time. And 3* Mags was the scariest character for me to fight. 

Also: XFW black after casting XFDP pink will always be a barrel of laughs. 

DAZ0273 said:
    Vold said:

I lost twice to Cyclops before third time the charm and my XFW is champed, Lol! I had 2 bad boards but even so, that just shows how bad he can be!
    Just for an opposite perspective, I have a champed XFW and beat Cyclops first go, making a point of finishing on 100% health :)
  • Vold
    Vold Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options

DAZ0273 said:
    Vold said:

Just for an opposite perspective, I have a champed XFW and beat Cyclops first go, making a point of finishing on 100% health :)
    Agree,
    i would think beating Scott Un champ shows he can stand his ground.
    only reason I lost was a bad decision to focus on yellow first, lol

later I won very fast with lots of chain reactions.
    wish we can replay that DDQ. It's now locked.
    wish there's a 1v1 mode.

i've used XFW a lot recently in both story and versus modes.
    he's quite good, save my team many times doing surgery on enemy tiles. Also he's healing imo is good... as it's a huge burst. Enabling him to survive a lot of dire moments and continue the next without using healing kits.

sometimes the yellow saves me by killing the target when they match it. :D