Toxic Elite vs n00bs... going forward, how should they relate to each other?

Options
shteev
shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I'm fascinated by how the hardcore players and the casual players relate to each other here on the forums. And I love a good scrap, me, so I thought I'd run a poll, to see where we all stand on the subject.

Every so often, there are going to be game elements which appeal to one group or the other, but which are hated by the other side. What's the best way of dealing with such issues, I wonder? Digging in, and demanding that the game be changed to favor only the side that we support, whilst disregarding the other side's wishes? Or looking for solutions which are ideal for both sides (or, at least, a compromise between the two)?

Toxic Elite vs n00bs... going forward, how should they relate to each other? 42 votes

All out war
26%
shteevkhurrambabar3355SteemeCorn_NoodlesEsdjco82WaschechtPhillmooreThuranFroggyluckyvulpi 11 votes
Attempting to understand and be respectful of each other's position
59%
madwrenspan_argomanVolraktinyauDaddystyxGrizzoMtGPQLagarthaHoudinStormbringer0morgue427MtgPQProUweTellkampfSarahschmaraCaemanDropspotMatthewGilescloneSirchombliGormhausKinesia 25 votes
As neutrally as a neutral option in a forum poll
14%
Mainloop25AzerackFurordracotheyrejustelvesElfNeedsFoodMburn7 6 votes

Comments

• Phillmoore
    Phillmoore Posts: 207 Tile Toppler
    Options
    All out war
    Love this.  My opinion probably isn’t all out war.  But l Loved that answer.  Really game should be designed to appeal to both equally.  Good content for both sides to have fun with rewards being best for either developing pws or to enter events or buy more cards etc. Depending what the individual needs most 
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Why am I not surprised by the results?
  • Gormhaus
    Gormhaus Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Understanding is always the best option. I am not the person i was before and not the person i am tomorrow. This game is definately a harsh gradient of skill, luck and cards that you own. Be patient with each other.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    All out war

All out war.  Survival of the fittest.  May the game be tailored to those who fight for it.

• Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The elite and the beginners are at different points in the journey, they need different rewards, different focusses, they don't need to contradict each other at all. There's a 3rd side to balance too, though, the company. All 3 need to be thought about. While we all want more rewards etc, if you think about "how to encourage noobs to keep playing" and "how to get the company money to keep the game going", if you always put forward an idea that deals with all 3 then you will be listened to by almost everyone. But, yeah, don't forget the company, instead of just wanting free stuff, tell them what will encourage you to buy stuff, we need that too.
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @madwren I absolutely agree that, while we don’t always agree on the best route, we are all headed towards the same destination.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think it's time to stop stereotyping. 
  • Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    While, I wouldn't call myself toxic or elite, I'm no noob. The game sort of wrote us into separate camps in such a way that it's almost impossible for the new players' collections to catch up. I think that one of two things could help. 

First would be increasing card availability to newer players. Either via drop rates or beefing rewards back up a little bit. Cards is the primary division. Even dropping a bunch of money isn't a guarantee. Personally, I don't think this is realistic, so I'll move to option 2.

Adjust difficulty between mastery tiers. I've been playing with my super noobish alt a lot lately. Bronze with 6 pws, all below lvl 30. My main breezes through pve. My alt can't beat bolas. I can get a good 400 damage in, but my cards are bad, so he has a lot of chance to hail Mary and kill me out of nowhere. If he had like 300 or 400 up, it would still be tough, but manageable. I think that giving lower tiers a bit of a break on the pve matches would really go a long way towards building new players' collections, and bridging the gap between ogs and rookies. I know that the game is a touch unforgiving at first. 
  • bk1234
    Options

Adjust difficulty between mastery tiers. 
    I don't remember ever seeing this suggestion before and it's awesome. 
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bken1234 said:

Adjust difficulty between mastery tiers. 
    I don't remember ever seeing this suggestion before and it's awesome. 

Same problem with people staying in lower tiers on purpose because there's no penalty for staying there for a softer group. 
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Options
    A poll to get the general opinion of whether we should go to war or not. I don't think I like this concept.
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    All out war
    We all started out as noobs. I worked my way up. I won’t say I’m a Power Elite, but I do score well in events and my team is steadily moving up in overall ranking. I have been helped by very good players and I have helped new players. “All out war” is a little dramatic, but the idea of just having players really play to get better is what a game is all about.

Good game improvements are always welcome. And adjusting the difficulty on mastery levels to better fit players in general would be a good change that I would welcome.
  • Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    said 
    Same problem with people staying in lower tiers on purpose because there's no penalty for staying there for a softer group. 
    There are always going to be lazy people that sandbag in gold. There could be work arounds. The point is that as a platinum player, pve bosses are easy. That doesn't mean they aren't challenging, I'm just not working with a card pool as limited as a new player. That's essentially punishing new players. 
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    said 
    There are always going to be lazy people that sandbag in gold. There could be work arounds. The point is that as a platinum player, pve bosses are easy. That doesn't mean they aren't challenging, I'm just not working with a card pool as limited as a new player. That's essentially punishing new players. 

I'm not saying that a solution isn't necessary. I'm saying the proposed solution is just a variant of one that has been discussed before and dismissed, not a new one.

There needs to be a penalty imposed on people who don't move up if this is implemented. The carrot and the stick. It's as simple as that. And people are unwilling to support that idea. 
  • bk1234
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    said 

I'm not saying that a solution isn't necessary. I'm saying the proposed solution is just a variant of one that has been discussed before and dismissed, not a new one.

There needs to be a penalty imposed on people who don't move up if this is implemented. The carrot and the stick. It's as simple as that. And people are unwilling to support that idea. 
    I think the penalty is worse rewards. I think better rewards such as runes for mastering cards would be more effective. Positive reinforcement generally trumps negative. 
  • Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Once you hit platinum, there is no reason to master cards anymore. Why try something new when tried and true works every time? I agree with @Bkon1234. A reward for mastering cards would be appreciated, for both old and newer players alike.

Give us a reason to play new and different cards, besides just rotations.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That's a simple and elegant thing that fixes a few problems at once... Runes are hard to get and we need to encourage people to master cards, so how about, with the current mastery points, getting 10 runes for each +Mastery point. (Numbers can be modified.)

• ElvaanStride
    ElvaanStride Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    My experience as a noob here is that the "toxic" elite have been nothing but helpful, so I cannot vote for either option in the false dichotomy presented here. Put me up for a rising tide raises all boats. The elite have always seemed to give people who needed help a hand up, and the game works better for it.
    This is 100% truth.

Within a day of joining the Forums I got tons of advice and invited to a Discord group full of veterans who have been nothing helpful and nice.

Tomorrow will be two weeks since starting this game and I am way further along progression-wise than I should be.