Changes to Event Schedule and Events *Updated (10/18/17)

Options

Comments

• majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The only thing I have to add is that I would like to see variety of events between weeks. Maybe one week a month could be legacy in all events etc.

I mostly popped in to thank @Brigby for this most excellent communication about the future of the game. I hope the usual passionate feedback doesn't scare off an increase in this information flow. Plus this is a big milestone showing Oktagon is getting their feet under them. I'm super happy about this announcement.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dave808 said:
    . I'm still not so thrilled to have to pander to noobs just so they can compete, but I get what you're saying. 
    Maybe I'm being too selfish here but I figure if I can grind it out and spend money on the game to get killer cards and build killer decks, so can anyone else. It just rubs me the wrong way knowing that we dedicated og's who have spent tons of time and money on this game have to be handicapped just so noobs can compete. It feels like pandering and hand holding. 

Hi @Dave808

I certainly understand your frustration -- I have put my own money and lord knows, way too much time into this game. I have even LOUDLY questioned decisions that the Devs have made that I believed put new players over the player base as a whole. (You can thank a conversation I opened up for still having an awesome Kiora to play with). 

When Standard came out they slowed down offering BFZ and SOI and basically quit all together with HOU -- my argument is not just in defense of new players but also mid-level players -- and even top players -- anyone who has been in the game since May. 

The cards are not available. If they had not stopped offering those sets and any player had access to them, I still wouldn't like this and still would think that PVE was a better venue for this, but I wouldn't be as passionately opposed as I am. 

I have advocated in the past for second chance exclusive offers (this goes with my throwback idea). This would level the playing field and add advantage to those who want to pay for it. 

Still, my larger argument is that they're running a format that basically pits players who have been in the game for longer than the last 6 months against players who have been here for 6 month or less. Someone being with a game for 6 months doesn't exactly make them a noob. 

This forum is a passionate place -- what I see today is some of the best and most long-term players standing up against this decision -- look at your leaderboards if you are in platinum, you will frequently see me, @shteev , @Ohboy , @madwren, @uwetellkampf and @babar3355 there -- we are the elite, we've spent almost two years in this game, we have amazing collections and no matter what format, we are going to dominate events. Go back through our posts -- we are passionate and almost never agree -- and we do on this. 

There are plenty of events to use your paid cards on -- I am currently playing Fateful Showdown with my legacy quickbattle Nahiri -- the whole thing with one deck -- she is loaded with cards I paid good money for. I played a few rounds of NoP this weekend with non-event optimized Legacy decks. You can play TotP with anything you want, and don't forget about Training Grounds. 
  • Mizzlets
    Mizzlets Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Just bring back better rewards and make rotgp shorter :/ *sigh*
  • Fiddler
    Fiddler Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dave808 said:
    I guess I don't really understand. Why all the hate for HoR legacy? Clearly I'm in the minority here but I think it's a great idea. I spent a lot of time and money collecting amazing legacy cards back in the day and not being able to use them in so many events is probably my biggest complaint about this game.
     If I had it my way anybody could use any cards and any decks in any event. Otherwise what's the point of spending any money in this game if you know ahead of time whatever great cards you buy or collect will just become obsolete and unusable in just a few months? That's why I have not spent a dime on this game in the last 6 months and I never will again. Can anybody explain to me why you all seem so against it? Asking honestly. 

I'm with @Dave808 on this, and for all the same reasons. Except I have it set in my head that I will again invest money in the game someday, but only after booster crafting is implemented.
  • naphomci
    naphomci Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So, I am not a long time veteran (I only played a few months of QBs, which I was (and still am) adamantly against removing) but am not new either. One thing I can still distinctly recall while playing in events early was doing fine, then the AI plays Olivia, followed by Pig, my team dies, I take 20-40 damage, and if I don't have two kill spells, I am toast. It was awful, and not infrequent. Standard was a huge improvement, and the early stages where there were more legacy events was good.

Standard is also good for long time veteran players, in my opinion. While it forces them to use new cards, it requires engagement in the game, instead of the same Koth/Nahiri Pig/Olivia decks in every game. Of course, that got replaced with cycling, but at least cycling isn't terrible to play against.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Hi Everyone. I posted this in another thread, but I plan on discussing the change to Hour of Relevation with the team this week, and I will be sure to present them the community's feedback. I can't guarantee that any decisions to revert changes will be able to be applied to this week's run of it, but I will bring up that point during the discussion, as well.
  • Krishna
    Krishna Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    My other question -- why is RotGP being extended by a day -- isn't the point to shorten events?

My first thought when I heard a projection of WEDNESDAY (ended Tuesady) was "a lot of people aren't playing these events anymore",

This game is barely fun, which is a characteristic of free phone app games with in-app purchases that can have you spending $100s to get things quicker. If the game is too enjoyable, people will not be so inclined to spend money for a product they are already enjoying.
    Another characteristic of phone app games is the association with a brand, in this case MTG. If this game wasn't MTG, I can assure you I wouldn't be playing.

you can find out more about phone app games here:
    https://www.watchcartoononline.io/south-park-season-18-episode-6-freemium-isnt-free-2

• Krishna
    Krishna Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Options
    tfg76 said:
    It´s also important to remember that the prizes were better "back in the day", meaning people had a lot more access to mythics than they do today.

Also, I resent the talk about "noobs" here. The rampant access to SOI/OGW/ORI mythics were during a very short time span (not sure exactly, but less than 1 year). Basing a whole format on the people that were active during that short time seems unfair and boring.

That being said, the cycling decks of today are better than anything legacy can offer, so it´s not that hard to win, it´s just that the objectives are very unsuited to legacy play. In say, Terrors in the Shadows, this is not a problem.

Just a thought: How do people feel about legacy with banned lists (i.e. Pig, Olivia, New Perspectives, Drake Haven, BTB, SA++)?

+1 for ban list. Until the AI figures out how to use DH and NP (i.e. never), it's actually an easy win. It's not a card that ruins your freaking day like Deploy the Gatewatch pulling Olivia followed by Emrakul. (there's 3 for the list right there)
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Krishna said:
    tfg76 said:
    It´s also important to remember that the prizes were better "back in the day", meaning people had a lot more access to mythics than they do today.

Also, I resent the talk about "noobs" here. The rampant access to SOI/OGW/ORI mythics were during a very short time span (not sure exactly, but less than 1 year). Basing a whole format on the people that were active during that short time seems unfair and boring.

That being said, the cycling decks of today are better than anything legacy can offer, so it´s not that hard to win, it´s just that the objectives are very unsuited to legacy play. In say, Terrors in the Shadows, this is not a problem.

Just a thought: How do people feel about legacy with banned lists (i.e. Pig, Olivia, New Perspectives, Drake Haven, BTB, SA++)?

+1 for ban list. Until the AI figures out how to use DH and NP (i.e. never), it's actually an easy win. It's not a card that ruins your freaking day like Deploy the Gatewatch pulling Olivia followed by Emrakul. (there's 3 for the list right there)

At some point, we might as well admit we want a pauper format where mythics and masterpieces are banned. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Or instead of a hard ban list a slightly restricted one where you can only use those cards with 1 Node in an event. No putting Pig on all five nodes, forcing choice.
  • Ohboy
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    Or instead of a hard ban list a slightly restricted one where you can only use those cards with 1 Node in an event. No putting Pig on all five nodes, forcing choice.

Once a week! Should end up with some really innovative decks. 
  • Kinesia
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    Kinesia said:

There _are_ implementation problems though, as much as I like the idea, how do you change a card between decks nicely? (Oh, actually, the metaphor even works, doesn't it?)
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would love a pauper event, but I think it should be individual. People pay money to get better cards to better in coalition events -- they should be able to use those cards. 

I would really love OLD NOP -- individual in Pauper / Peasant format. 
  • Ohboy
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    Ohboy said:
    Kinesia said:

There _are_ implementation problems though, as much as I like the idea, how do you change a card between decks nicely? (Oh, actually, the metaphor even works, doesn't it?)

Greyed over cards?

I don't think it's actually that hard to do. They already filter by standard and legacy. It's a matter of implementing it on an individual level and adding a timer.

Just throwing out ideas. We both know it's unlikely these things get taken seriously before the sun engulfs earth. 
  • Kinesia
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    Kinesia said:
    Ohboy said:
    Kinesia said:

Greyed over cards?

I don't think it's actually that hard to do. They already filter by standard and legacy. It's a matter of implementing it on an individual level and adding a timer.

Just throwing out ideas. We both know it's unlikely these things get taken seriously before the sun engulfs earth. 
    We do.

But I plan to still be here at that point in time.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options

Legacy events are a PASS.  Legacy was supposed to be for PVE only.

It's almost like they don't want us to play the game anymore!

(Seriously, I'm pretty close to quitting at this point.)

• julianus
    julianus Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Did they change their minds on the next HOR event? I noticed that the sign up screen still shows it as limited to standard cards.
  • PhoenixRisen
    PhoenixRisen Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @Brigby

Systematically, what's going on? Why are event start/end times changing on us without any notice whatever?? We need to prepare for these things. My team believed we had that extra hour, per usual, to get our returning from vacation player back in ... but alas, to no avail with these obscure, random event time changes (it's been happening routinely now ... even TG has seen a change). Unannounced changes are never acceptable. This game is already in the sewer -- it cannot sink much further! -- from where it goes henceforth is solely based on communication. I don't understand how getting that last-minute change to make HoR standard again (thank you! Though, it was more likely never correctly implemented correctly in the first place.) altered the start/end time of every active event ... these continuing errors are incredulous and incomprehensible. #noconfidence , #nofaith

Signed,
    Deeply concerned lover of all things MTG
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    julianus said:
    Did they change their minds on the next HOR event? I noticed that the sign up screen still shows it as limited to standard cards.
    Yes. We have decided not to remove the card set restrictions for Hour of Revelation. We do still plan on incorporating more events with no card restrictions, but based on the player feedback, we'd like to take more time to determine which event would be a more appropriate avenue for that change.

Systematically, what's going on? Why are event start/end times changing on us without any notice whatever?? We need to prepare for these things. My team believed we had that extra hour, per usual, to get our returning from vacation player back in ... but alas, to no avail with these obscure, random event time changes (it's been happening routinely now ... even TG has seen a change). Unannounced changes are never acceptable. This game is already in the sewer -- it cannot sink much further! -- from where it goes henceforth is solely based on communication. I don't understand how getting that last-minute change to make HoR standard again (thank you! Though, it was more likely never correctly implemented correctly in the first place.) altered the start/end time of every active event ... these continuing errors are incredulous and incomprehensible. #noconfidence , #nofaith

Signed,
    Deeply concerned lover of all things MTG
    One big reason why we wanted to adjust start/end times was to try and avoid future complications when any overlapping events or events that ended too close to a starting event.

If you'd like to stay updated on upcoming events and their schedules, then please feel free to check out the October 2017 Sneak Peek thread.