2 events after the release of CL9 and......

Zappa
Zappa Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
edited September 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
21 out of the top 25 players in CL7 are multi-5* champers forcing us 4* plebs out of rogue covers. Usually I can place top 5 as a 4* player in CL7, beating out a few 5* rosters and losing to a few 5* rosters (even now I'm still at #16), but there is a torrent of high level players crushing the bracket and clearance level this release.

Good luck to anybody else trying to play "at their level".

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    To be entirely fair, a 3* transitioner is SOL in SCL 8. Is that unfair?

You play what you can play. Punching above your weight isn't always a great choice.
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    This has been the norm since the beginning for new releases tho.

You should ask those poor souls at SCL6 how do they feel every new release event.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Before SCL9, I would play SCL 7 or 8, depending on the event.  For HoD, I am playing SCL 8.  I tried SCL 9 for Unstable ISO-8 but went back to 8.  Not a big fan of having level 450 characters when my highest level character is 298.

• Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    For the last 2 events, I went CL9 for the great rewards and finished top 50 each time for a 4* reward.  I liked it a lot.

This time I went CL7 (and I'm in your bracket at #12).  For me, this was strictly a time crunch.  I won't have as much time this weekend to play, and CL7's 25 minute clears are way better than CL9's 75 minute clears.  Yeah, I'm giving up more rewards, but I can't help that.  Next PvE, I'll be back in CL9.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,731 Chairperson of the Boards
    thisone said:
    I'm a 4* pleb playing at SCL9. Am I playing over my level? 

Stop worrying what other people have/do and just have fun playing the game/living your life. Some people enjoy a challenge, some people like min/maxing. Neither are morally better than the other.

I've always played in the highest SCL available, SCL7 was tough without any champed 4*, but that way I could actually get more 4* covers.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    I'm in CL 6, in the last 3 events  I was 2nd, 3rd, and 2nd in non new character events in my slice. I am currently 21st in this event. Slumming is a real problem but  fixing it doesn't put any jingle in the IP holder, developers, or publisher's pocket so it will never be fixed. One hard and fast rule for mpq "Follow the money"
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yep, I'm in 7. And yep, not a chance a 'native' of 7 will be t50 in the bracket I landed in. My fastest opening clears ever got me ... 22nd place so far. 
    Yeah, it really surprised me how many other 5* players are in CL7 for this event.  Guess I should have played CL8 instead.  Is anyone even playing at that level?  Sounds like it's either 7 or 9.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I'm in 8, and in the top 20 on my bracket I see 2 or 3 5* rosters, and 2 or 3 more who are either on the 4-5 transition, or are soft-capping. The rest are like me, with solid looking 4* rosters.
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler

Why are you upset that people with better rosters are scoring better than you? They give up on other rewards to go for placement. By your own logic you should be CL8, not 7.

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Interesting, I am a 4* player in scl 8. I have one champed 5 star roster in my top 10. I am ranked 47.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,687 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm in SCL9 and my highest 4* (unboosted) isn't even at 300. I'm going to coast to t50.

Helps that C&D and C4rol are both champed and boosted.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,666 Chairperson of the Boards
    There was no test run of SCL9.  It, like all parts of the game, is subject to change at any time.  Maybe rewards will be tweaked in the future.  Maybe more will move up.  The funny thing is that if all you want is 1 Rogue, SCL 9 might provide the best ROI.  It would be fun to know what time spent vs rewards earned looks like in various SCL's

There are soooooo many people in each bracket that join and barely play.  Every time I jump in at 800+, I still easily hit T50 or T20 with near-optimal play.

All high end players stress the competition, but most people playing this game have some low bar or don't care at all.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    I haven't seen anyone mention that t200 gets the cover in CL9, and t50 gets 2 covers.  I have a feeling t200 in CL9 will be the easiest way for me to get a cover, and I have a shot at t50.

The 5* Doc Ock node is fun too. As long as its goons only, I should be able to trigger Ock's Final Phase to win. 
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    You can get a Rogue cover on the alternate event that's currently up.

If trends follow, you'll also be able to get one as a progression reward on the next event.
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    How bout this for a fix. Implement a maximum level that is allowed in each SCL.

Or, alternatively once you get first in a given SCL you have officially beat it and the game locks you out from that point on and forces you to go higher
  • Zelmourn
    Zelmourn Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    edited September 2017
    Hadronic said:
    How bout this for a fix. Implement a maximum level that is allowed in each SCL.

Or, alternatively once you get first in a given SCL you have officially beat it and the game locks you out from that point on and forces you to go higher
    If your saying that they should lock out characters based on their rarity (stars) or by how high of a level they are based on the CL you chose, this could be kinda interesting. Though it does eradicate the ability for anyone to do a min/max deal unless they are a tad generous on it. For CL 6 i could see banning all 5 star chars and perhaps limiting the 4* to ones that aren't above lvl 200 or so. 

Your idea for locking a person out after getting first would mean that eventually some people wouldn't be able to play the game and if there is a "cool down" or something to when you can compete in that level again it just forces them into a weaker bracket if they are min/maxing thus continuing the problem when hundreds (maybe thousands?) of people do it across all the CL's. 

Just some thoughts

• Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    Third idea, professional fighters actually drop weight to move down. So players that want to move down SCL should have the characters deleveled for the event to make it an even playing field.