Annoying terminology.

Comments

• STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Jarvind said:
    What is it even supposed to be short for? Cartoon? WHAT ARE YOU SAYING.
    Double yes!!! I have no idea what a 'toon' is either.
    Be interesting to see where that contraction started. Presumably it's really short for "cartoon character".

Oh, here we go:
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
    Toon is a term popularized by the 1988 film Who Framed Roger Rabbit; it commonly refers to distinguish characters appearing in cartoons from regular humans.

But that means they're all toons. Even goons. Toon goons!
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a habit of calling the hammer guys and the like "minions" despite the concensus apparently being "goons".
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a habit of calling the hammer guys and the like "minions" despite the concensus apparently being "goons".
    "Minion" is a much better word. Just in general. Much more fun to say than "goon".

Also, my understanding was that "toon" was shortened from "platoon", and made its way into Gaming from Ender's Game, probably via wargames where platoons were the smallest element used. I don't really have a source on that other than other gamers who I've talked about it with, so don't take that origin as fact. But it seems at least as reasonable as the Roger Rabbit thing.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have minions. The Maggia and HAMMER have goons.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/77192/why-do-people-call-their-characters-toons
    This seems like the most comprehensive set of possible answers for where "toon" came from.  In my experience, using it as short-form for "character" is pretty believable, I started using it that way after hearing it a lot of times while playing WoW.  Similar to "mob" being used for "enemy".  Both words just kind of entered my vocabulary without me noticing.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,107 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it depends on who they are working for. Count Nefaria would definitely have minions but Hammerhead would be fine with goons. I'm not sure about Kingpin though.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,107 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    I think it depends on who they are working for. Count Nefaria would definitely have minions but Hammerhead would be fine with goons. I'm not sure about Kingpin though.
    Kingpin has 'pawns'. Game tells me so.

Ah, yes. So that leaves Goblin, who I don't think is fussy but probably leans towards "henchmen".
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Yinz are a bunch a jags.  Typos don't matter, as long as the message gets through.  Behold:

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Sword, Fist, Shield tiles, instead of strike, attack, and protect. The piecing together articles often say strength tiles instead of strike.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    abmoraz said:
    Yinz are a bunch a jags.  Typos don't matter, as long as the message gets through.  Behold:

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."
    While that's true, it does not apply when what you type is actually a completely different word. Rooster vs roster, lose vs loose, etc...

Some of these are probably auto correct errors. Flames of the Saltine, etc...
  • WalrusGooner
    WalrusGooner Posts: 62 Match Maker
    abmoraz said:
    Yinz are a bunch a jags. 
    Pittsburgh much?
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Though I've never used them, I actually like 'sword' and 'fist'. I sometimes mix up strike and attack - those words are too similar (I'm going to attack you, I'm going to strike you) and my brain will lose track of which is which. Sword and fist are very distinctive.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:
    Though I've never used them, I actually like 'sword' and 'fist'. I sometimes mix up strike and attack - those words are too similar (I'm going to attack you, I'm going to strike you) and my brain will lose track of which is which. Sword and fist are very distinctive.

I've been playing since shortly after day one, and I still confuse them from time to time.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    I love using "toons", because I know most of guys will hate it... 
  • Man_Thing
    Man_Thing Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Dormammu said:

I've been playing since shortly after day one, and I still confuse them from time to time.
    I always confuse those too. In alliance chats, we refer to them as "Punchy" and "Stabby" tiles. Nobody confuses those. 
  • Angjo
    Angjo Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    My pet hate is "guilds" every time I see it I have to fight the urge to type "they are called alliances!"