MPQ Server Outage -- September 14 2017 [Fixed] (merged threads)

14567810»

Comments

• TheLadder77
    TheLadder77 Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    BCblue27 said:
    Jumping on the automation train, here's another response I've received before and again today: 
    "Unfortunately, due to the widespread nature of the issue described, we will not be able to offer compensation to players on an individual level. If there should be compensation for the issue described, than it will be given to players en mass and announced on the forums. We apologize for any frustration this has caused, but there is nothing more we can do to assist with this issue."

Novel idea. How about they, you know...STOP creating such widespread issues. Maybe cool it with all of these "updates" (downgrades). I feel like there needs to be actual customer service to complain about the customer service. Er, the robots, rather. 
    Thanks for posting this, it's exactly the same message I got following my response to their initial c+p one today.

D3 can stick it, as far as I'm concerned.
  • Bloody_Marvel
    Bloody_Marvel Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    To be fair, there are probably hundreds of thousands of players affected by the server outage. They can't be expected to handle each case individually.

Then again, they should've just put out a statement right away that appropriate compensation will be offered to all those affected so their CS isn't overrun with individual players asking to be compensated.
  • jaworeq
    jaworeq Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    12h later, I still can't get in on steam. Gotta leave for work in 1h, I guess my daily goes to ****.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    To be fair, there are probably hundreds of thousands of players affected by the server outage. They can't be expected to handle each case individually.
    To make it more impossible, you probably have 25 people per bracket claiming (and most of them quite honestly believing) that they would definitely have gotten top 10 rewards.

As always, any mass compensation will pale in comparison to the best possible rewards a player might have gotten, but I try to keep in mind that anything we receive is better than absolutely nothing.
  • Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    It wasn't a D3 issue, more a AWS issue much like March - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/15/aws_brownout/
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2017
    https://puu.sh/xAblS/45c66bc302.png

Gotta say. This is the first time I've ever had a popup box, that appears in a separate window behind the MPQ game, tell me there's an update rather than the steam notification. Forces a shutdown, followed by ending the task in the processes tree.

Clarification: Redirects to the steam store page for MPQ. Same as clicking on the game in your library.
  • BCblue27
    BCblue27 Posts: 16 Just Dropped In

I like the saying, "prevention is easier than a cure." To think that this, and likely countless other bugs that have existed for years without resolution, could have been avoided with proper testing is the ultimate irony in all of this. Any response, automated or otherwise that is given, is negated almost instantly because of this. Settling for mediocrity should never be a standard to follow.

Lack of ethical compass aside on D3's part, I suppose in order to find some positivity in these trends would be to try and focus on the parts of the game that are enjoyable when it functions without error.

• therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2017
    Did this screw up anyone else's facebook association? About three hours after the technical issue "resolved" I was playing a node like normal and then I ended up in the brand new player mode.  My FB has since gone into hack recovery status and I can't use it for 24 hours.  Nor will MPQ connect.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Yeah, so I know this says [Fixed] in the thread summary... but I still can't connect consistently.  It takes minutes to start a match, then when the match ends, it spins for 6-10 minutes again with the "check internet connection" message before eventually showing me my rewards.  It's making the PvE grind unbearable.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mattjimf said:
    It wasn't a D3 issue, more a AWS issue much like March - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/15/aws_brownout/
    If that's the case we probably won't get any compensation like we didn't last time.  Wrongfully so, but I don't expect them to change their tune this time...
  • jaworeq
    jaworeq Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Yeah, I disagree it was related to AWS.
    At least on steam,it was connected to update that came out yesterday. Even 12h after issue was supposedly fixed, I still couldn't connect - game said that new version was available, even though steam wouldn't update the game, even after reinstall.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    jaworeq said:
    Yeah, I disagree it was related to AWS.

Based on what?  Did you read the linked article the times match up pretty perfectly and we know that AWS outages have broken the game...

The US-EAST-1 region that caused so much trouble in March was again the culprit on Thursday, as at 11:58AM on Thursday AWS reported “increased error rates” on S3. By 12:20 the company admitted “We can confirm that some customers are receiving throttling errors accessing S3.” By 12:38 the problem was identified and the fix commenced, error rates fell by 12:49 and at 1:05 AWS sounded the all-clear, confident that errors had ceased nine minutes previously.

• SkadenFrudee
    SkadenFrudee Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    pcr42 said:
    If the server is down for all, there's nothing happening to all, right? Can't they just give extra time on all timers and only the people who have other things to do get hosed when the servers are running again? I ask as someone in s5, and therefore unaffected. 
    But it's not down for everyone, some people still have access.

• SkadenFrudee
    SkadenFrudee Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Thanks for the 3k iso and 150 hp, much appreciated D3. 
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lucifier said:
    smkspy said:
    Lucifier said:
    no it is not a silly thing, or we also can say, if they give all players the 1st placement rewards, it will not effect them, after all it is just one PVE event 1st placement rewards to all players (no big deal).

Flip side, yeah, it is no big deal to give everyone whether they could actually have achieved that or not those rewards. But honestly, is this one pve screw up really gonna affect your progress in THAT much. Maybe it did for some, and if this was a regular thing, I would also be pissed. 

But boil it down and it is not. Things like this happen every once and a while, but there are far greater things to complain about than this...not swapping 5s in classics for example.

I wasn't expecting to hold on to a top ten placement even though I was trying for it, but I had fallen to below that, it really isn't worth the effort to beg CS to give some rewards I may or may not coukd actually have gotten.

That said, yeah, they should throw a couple of tokens or iso our way because we were affected. It is what any company that people pay for a product should do.
    first this connection problem did not effected me at all, for PVE i am at slice 5 (not ended yet) for PVP i did not joined yet.

as you said it will not effect my progress or anyone else progress (except some special cases), then what is the big deal give all players a good compensation, why?
    because it shows respect, it shows how they treat their customers (especially for those who get effected by this problem, or for those who paid a lot of money in this game).

me and other 19 or so players were about to buy 1 stark salary, we all hold it, and I read some in the chat, saying they want to see first whats gonna happen about this issue.

i agree there are things in the game i wish to be changed (for me it is PVP progression rewards system), but i can not say this is their fault, it is how the game works (i hope it changed) but this is how the game is now.
    same as for 5*, this is how the game works right now, it is not a bug, not a connection problem, not their fault.

But boil it down and it is not. Things like this happen every once and a while,
    REALLY that is your excuse, things like this happen every once and a while, WOW (I am speechless)

it really isn't worth the effort to beg CS to give some rewards I may or may not coukd actually have gotten.
    mmmmmmmmm "beg" mmmmmmmmmm
    so if someone asks for his/her rights (by opening a ticket to the CS) this consider begging (again I am speechless).

Yeah, I'm pretty speechless too. March on noble video game warrior, may your protest be Vorken in its epicness!!!
  • pandrek
    pandrek Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    edited September 2017
    Thanks for the 3k iso and 150 hp, much appreciated D3.
    Yeah!!! Thanks a lot!!!
  • Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    smkspy said:
    Yeah, I'm pretty speechless too. March on noble video game warrior, may your protest be Vorken in its epicness!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!