3 nodes with Falcon required??!

13»

Comments

• Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    kidicarus wrote:
    I remember the first time I came across one of these required nodes. One of them required me to have an IW cover in order to progress. Needing to place 1st in order to acquire a single IW cover, I knew there was no way that I could acquire an IW cover then. I persevered and eventually I earned not just IW but also an X-force. I also noticed that they would often use a hero in a required node if they had given him out as a placement reward. This made me try harder for placements so that I could earn those covers.

I am mostly a ftp player although I have spent money on roster slots and spider-man (funny thing is a week after I bought those covers they changed the cost of boosts and introduced crazy bad pve scaling which meant I didn't really have him as a crutch for that long) and to me this game has a rewarding progression structure. One day you're struggling to get past the zombie horde in the 600s and the next thing you know, you're placing top 5 consistently.

My point is, success in the game will come with determination and time if you learn to play the meta game. There's plenty of scope for a ftp player to do well.
    Technically, the IW required covers were only a couple events after they had her as the reward for winning the pve, which was a lot more than just the top 1-2
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Spoit wrote:
    kidicarus wrote:
    I remember the first time I came across one of these required nodes. One of them required me to have an IW cover in order to progress. Needing to place 1st in order to acquire a single IW cover, I knew there was no way that I could acquire an IW cover then. I persevered and eventually I earned not just IW but also an X-force. I also noticed that they would often use a hero in a required node if they had given him out as a placement reward. This made me try harder for placements so that I could earn those covers.

I am mostly a ftp player although I have spent money on roster slots and spider-man (funny thing is a week after I bought those covers they changed the cost of boosts and introduced crazy bad pve scaling which meant I didn't really have him as a crutch for that long) and to me this game has a rewarding progression structure. One day you're struggling to get past the zombie horde in the 600s and the next thing you know, you're placing top 5 consistently.

My point is, success in the game will come with determination and time if you learn to play the meta game. There's plenty of scope for a ftp player to do well.
    Technically, the IW required covers were only a couple events after they had her as the reward for winning the pve, which was a lot more than just the top 1-2

1st in a bracket of 500 is exactly the same as having to place 300 of 150,000.

And it's quite different to making top 75 (not sure - wasn't paying attention) individual score + top 250th alliance gives to earn a cover. They were practically giving them away. Please don't detract from the point i was making - that you do progress the longer you play. So what if you miss out one week - learn from it and you'll have another opportunity soon enough.

Just a hint: there will be a top gun part deux.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    kidicarus wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    kidicarus wrote:

1st in a bracket of 500 is exactly the same as having to place 300 of 150,000.

And it's quite different to making top 75 (not sure - wasn't paying attention) individual score + top 250th alliance gives to earn a cover. They were practically giving them away. Please don't detract from the point i was making - that you do progress the longer you play. So what if you miss out one week - learn from it and you'll have another opportunity soon enough.

Just a hint: there will be a top gun part deux.
    Yeah, sure you might eventually make progress, but getting behind the curve can put you off significantly. Especially if you don't have the legacy roster to get top 5 (10 now I guess) pretty much at will.

I ragequit during TaT for a month, meaning I skipped the intros for DD through the first LT PvE, I was able to pick up 2 sets of 2/3 covers for BP and psylocke fairly easy through the PvP tourneys, but those really weren't very useful, even boosted, and not having those meant I was able to get a grand total of 1 LThor cover from heroic juggie, which was enough to be able to enter essential nodes, but pretty much worthless for anything else.

It wasn't until they went completely crazypant with the shieldbro handouts that I was finally able to get back 'on cycle', and even then, without the lazy thor backbone, it's significantly harder than people with superficially similar rosters and cumulative days played.

Though...I guess that kind of misses the point, as I was able to get top 5 before I quit anyway?

And there is a huuuge difference between top 1 out of 500 and 300 out of 1500. It's really really easy to get into a bracket with multiple SHIELD/5DV/django/kitchen people, which means you pretty much have no chance at it, but even if you had the full rosters from all the top 10 alliances in that one bracket, there'd still be wiggle room with larger reward tiers. (I liked the original bracketing of the hulk the best (and not just because I was one of the, what, 700 people who got the punisher the first time?))