intended/unintended result of vaulting?

jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
Level 500+ featured/boosted 4* characters. 

taking on 4* cage with 100K+ health. yes. please. actually, no thanks.

Comments

• Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    That would have happened anyway without it. Somewhere, sometime there was always a chance of you facing a very high level boosted character even without vaulting because of the whales.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was interested in this as well and decided to see how much my roster on gamependium has changed during the vaulting period.

The vaulted characters received +2-9 levels (most are around 4), while the latest dozens (or more since we're talking about 4-5 months) were quickly being championed and gaining levels really quickly (and this is with me hoarding cp and legendary tokens, so it would be even more so if I had pulled any). So much so that my top 5 4*s include 4 that were part of the latest. 

Peggy 322
    imhb 305
    medusa 302
    carol 297
    luke cage 297
    xfdp 296
    antman 295
    x23 295
    agent venom 294
    Cyclops 293
    rhulk 293
    gwenpool 292
    iceman 292

peggy is that high because of bonus hero

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Much as it pains me to agree with that banned poster that shall not be named, but vaulting was one of the best things to happen. 

Yeah, my vaulted characters grew at a snails pace, but those latest 12 grew so fast and raise up to great levels. Also a huge amount of 3s gains levels and produced much greater rewards than pre-vaulting system. And BH worked for players like me deep into the 4 star champ phase.

As of now, new 4s are back to being slowly built, rewards and levels are back to a slow crawl. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for all the players that needed vaulted 4s. More power to you guys for being able to expand your rosters although just as slowly because dilution as returned. Just for us 4 star guys, I really believe that the trade-off of not getting vaulted characters was worth it to build up the latest 12.

• Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    What made no sense is that vaulting was probably the worst possible solution. Swapping a few token stores around and dilation ends with the only impact being Demiurge and D3 don't get tons of new cash users. So anyone asking for vaulting back is taking the side of corporate profit over fellow players.
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    What made no sense is that vaulting was probably the worst possible solution. Swapping a few token stores around and dilation ends with the only impact being Demiurge and D3 don't get tons of new cash users. So anyone asking for vaulting back is taking the side of corporate profit over fellow players.
    Yes, as smkspy said, it was really irritating getting characters to 300+ in a matter of months. Much more fun to see a whole bunch of characters probably never make their way to that level, while also adding a bunch of draws to the pool for characters not worth levelling in the first place. (Other than in the desire to not waste their future pulls, which, under the current system, will unfortunately never leave the tokens. Yay for Elektra/Nick Fury pulls forever!)
  • Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    a newbie question, what is vaulting, vaulted char, vaulting system?
  • Blergh
    Blergh Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    The way they implemented vaulting was the problem. Even if they wanted vaulting as a solution to there being too many characters to build and roster, I think there are better ways to achieve it. 

I mean - they recently changed seasons to an infinity stone power. They could set characters to a power, divide them up equally between powers. The list would be published for people to know. It'd only need updating for characters passing out of the latest.

Higher odds for the latest 12 out like now, and the narrower older set pulled at a lower rate - so draws would be concentrated.  As there is a published list of draws/rotations people could horde to get that older character they need/want. 

Something like that most sides in the divide would win - there are draw backs such as it'd encourage hording, and the rotations would be pretty long. But am sure there'd be some solution to it if you thought about it for a while.

It's something you could even apply across tiers when they get big enough. *Shrugs* 

I dunno but vaulting a large amount of characters forever just seems silly.

And if they wanted to increase profits they'd just introduce a boost/item that increases incoming iso by a percentage for a set period. Most people would sell their grandmothers for a slight iso increase. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lucifier said:
    a newbie question, what is vaulting, vaulted char, vaulting system?
    Recently the legendary tokens were changed. We used to have two types - the Latest Legends and the Classic Legends. The Latest Legends have the newest three 5*s in them and the Classic Legend has al the other 5*s in them. Nothing changed with 5*s. Both tokens had all the available 4*s in them.

Now...a few months back the devs decided to try to fix the problem of cover dilution (as in a new 4* would come out and it might take you a year to get it fully covered since you're pulling one cover out of 45+ 4*s), They did this by vaulting characters. What that means is they put the latest twelve 4*s into the tokens and all the other older 4*s were vaulted - aka unobtainable through those tokens. Stored away for later. This made it incredibly hard to get any of the not-latest 4*s since you could only get them through 3* bonus rewards or the 5% bonus hero chance.

However, the flip side of it was the latest twelve 4*s were REALLY easy to get. A lot of vets, myself included, noticed a huge accelleration to champing the newest 4*s compared to before. Heck the old system was bad enough that I've only champed Moonstone recently and he's been out for over a year. Whereas the newest 12 I got champed within a few months.

This is not to be confused with token vaults, like for example the vaults for Deadpool's Daily Quest. Those are a different thing entirely =)
  • Lucifier
    @Dragon_Nexus

thanks for the explanation, well i am still at 3* land, but i have now 18 LT and 925 CP, can't wait to open them, but still need to champ most of the 3* and problem with iso (already have one 3* ready and 4 with 12 covers).
  • Lucifier
    @Dragon_Nexus 

oh and i think now it is changed too, latest 12 4* you have 3x more chance to get than the rest of 4* (but we have chance to get any 4* from LT or CP), but i think you already know that.
  • Lucifier
    Blergh said:
    Higher odds for the latest 12 out like now, and the narrower older set pulled at a lower rate - so draws would be concentrated.  As there is a published list of draws/rotations people could horde to get that older character they need/want. 
    I like the rotation idea.
    or simply they can do like that, let us choose what 12 char that have 3x more chance than the rest of char, then we can use our CP/LT to get them.

• MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    I really like 4* PVP for this very reason - 5* teams no longer dominate (although the are still effective). 
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    CageFist with 507 cage was a ton of fun to climb with, and fairly reasonable on health pack consumption.
  • Wumpushunter
    and no one mentions that if you didn't  have those locked away characters you would never have them and they are required to play the tiny kitty game. So yeah getting 12 out 45 characters so wonderful.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    and no one mentions that if you didn't  have those locked away characters you would never have them and they are required to play the tiny kitty game. So yeah getting 12 out 45 characters so wonderful.
    I hear bonus heroes and progression rewards are a thing. Vaults are also a good way to get specific characters as well, as long as RNG blesses you with kindness; and those never suffered from vaulting.
  • Wumpushunter
    In the months of vaulting I gained 1 single vaulted cover in 4 star and missed playing multiple DDQ and story events for not having those characters. Vaulting ended just recently  and I have now multiple covers in 7 ex vaulted characters in 4 star and if vaulting had lasted only a few more months, I would have probably  quit.
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    In the months of vaulting I gained 1 single vaulted cover in 4 star and missed playing multiple DDQ and story events for not having those characters. Vaulting ended just recently  and I have now multiple covers in 7 ex vaulted characters in 4 star and if vaulting had lasted only a few more months, I would have probably  quit.
    You missed playing story events, yet if you played them even halfway, you'd get the 4* character in progression... *mind blown*
  • Wumpushunter
    You only get 4 star progression in 7 or 8. Not currently where I can compete for anything but top 100. 
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    New McG said:
    You missed playing story events, yet if you played them even halfway, you'd get the 4* character in progression... *mind blown*
    Yeah, but how many events had vaulted characters as prog reward during the entirety of the vaulting period?
    I have a feeling that it was not more than 6 but I would be very surprised if it was closer to 10