Hibernum Studio Closure (8/16/17)

Options

Comments

• wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Wow... ok, so that's a lot to digest.

First of, having been in the very unenviable position the Hibernum team are in today, I wish them all the best and thank them for their hard work. There has been a lot of nerd rage directed your way over the months I've played this game (some of it was even my own) but you have created a very fun game that I've spent many hours enjoying.

Next, and I guess this is mostly for @brigby  what can we expect in the short-term before the new development team takes over?

-Will we see the items in the vault roll over as usual this evening? 
    -Will there be a new set of Masterpieces/Mythics rotating in?
    -Will the events continue to rotate as we've come to expect? 
    -Will there be a new coalition event this weekend, etc...?
    -Will the second half of the Hour of Devastation cards see the light of day as expected?
    -Who currently possesses the WotC License, and will this impact the future of the game?
    -Is there a timeframe for when the new development team will be up and running?
    -Should we expect Ixalan to be released on schedule?
    -Will customer support still be provided to those of us that have our accounts wiped?
    -Should we just cash in our duplicate cards now, rather than wait for the promised booster crafting?
  • nexus13
    nexus13 Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Just admit they didn't want to do booster crafting, closing the studio seems like overkill.
  • Outersider
    Outersider Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Brigby said 

While Hibernum will no longer be the developer for the game, there's no need to worry. We are already working with a trusted team of engineers and programmers to help keep the future of the game alive. 

How long will this take weeks/months/years????.... As I said the fun of the game has gone, especially knowing that things like Booster Crafting and bug fixes are now delayed yet again.   I had hoped to keep playing until  some of the issues were fixed, however knowing that  they are now delayed without even a sense of when  or IF they will be fixed means that I and others,  I am sure, will play less or in some some cases not at all.   Maybe in a year or so, if I hear that MTG Puzzle Quest has been revived it will be fun again. Hopefully whomever (if there even is a whomever) takes over the programming of the game they get things right.
  • wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Brigby

As always, thank you for clarifying things to the best of your ability.

Cheers,

-Sean.
  • Igemon
    Igemon Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    edited August 2017
    Options
    No developer will do regular maintenance themselves, that's not a developers work.
    Usually they make some sort of an administrative interface from which a support team can shuffle already existing events. So everything that already exists should rotate as usual. But obviously there will be no new events for some time.
    Btw, its hard to believe that the news of Hibernum closure was so unexpected for D3 stuff.
    When booster crafting feature was delayed for the first time there was a talk of 'new developers taking over'.
    So, is it now a SECOND change of developers or they simply knew what will happen with Hibernum long time ago?
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options

They knew all along, hence the "transition".  They were offloading the project to another team.

It's a good sign that they want to keep the project going.  So much potential.

• p2dr
    p2dr Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options

maybe now we finaly get a decent rotation ;)
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2017
    Options
    p2dr said:

maybe now we finaly get a decent rotation ;)
    Or dare I say it
    an actual coalition leaderboards which you can sort by name or points :open_mouth: all we need really is a team of passioniate developers who actually PLAY this game

• TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ok, this could just be me panicking  over nothing but, are there no Planeswalkers rotating in next week or did I already buy all of them that are scheduled and that is why I am not seeing any.
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ok, this could just be me panicking  over nothing but, are there no Planeswalkers rotating in next week or did I already buy all of them that are scheduled and that is why I am not seeing any.
    Yes, it's panic - it's because you've bought them. I rarely see any upcoming as well. 
  • ipapotihus
    ipapotihus Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    shteev said:
    Whodda thought that squeezing every last ounce of life out of the game could be a bad thing?
    As a fellow Game dev from MTL, I hope it's not the case. But it could have been a last attempt at raising money to save the compagny.

I prefer to be naive and think those choice were made to enhance the new player experience. 
  • DaddyO
    DaddyO Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    The new masterpiece/mythic pack did not rotate immediately last night which seemed like a bad sign but the new pack is up, it's much better, and I pulled my first masterpiece - flipping No Mercy! 

Even with being locked out for 4 days last week and the many bugs, I do like the game and want to see it succeed. Best of luck. 
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Options

Thanks for the explanation of who does what @Brigby.  Our of curiosity, who is primarily responsible for the following:

1.  The cost of exclusive offers, the bundle contents, size of packs, etc?

2. The drop rates from packs?

3. Size and content of prizes for various events?

4. Schedule of events?

My assumption is D3 is responsible for all of these items.  Which is why there seems to be a disconnect with the developers and the "distributors".  It has never made sense to me that JC would create synergistic masterpeices if he was aware that it was the next thing to impossible to actually collect the set (e.g. greaves, gauntlets, helm).  Hopefully, with the new team there will be either a change in strategy from D3, or more clear communication between the availability of cards for players to collect.

• Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @barbar3355, if it involves money, it would most likely be D3's purview.
  • HypnoticSpecter
    HypnoticSpecter Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My 2 hopes:

1.  That today's burst of content convinces people that the sky may not be falling after all. Admittedly it was all probably done by Hibernum, but D3 handled the turnaround well it seems.

2. That WotC brings the development of this fine game in house so they can do it justice. MTGO isn't perfect, but MTGPQ could benefit from having a similar mindset behind it. Even just having WOTC regularly post development columns about it would be a big leap forward.
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    2. That WotC brings the development of this fine game in house so they can do it justice. MTGO isn't perfect, but MTGPQ could benefit from having a similar mindset behind it. Even just having WOTC regularly post development columns about it would be a big leap forward.

Not going to happen.
  • HypnoticSpecter
    HypnoticSpecter Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm not optimistic about either, honestly. :/
  • Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @shteev crazy, right? 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    babar3355 said:

Thanks for the explanation of who does what Brigby.  Our of curiosity, who is primarily responsible for the following:

1.  The cost of exclusive offers, the bundle contents, size of packs, etc?

2. The drop rates from packs?

3. Size and content of prizes for various events?

4. Schedule of events?

My assumption is D3 is responsible for all of these items.  Which is why there seems to be a disconnect with the developers and the "distributors".  It has never made sense to me that JC would create synergistic masterpeices if he was aware that it was the next thing to impossible to actually collect the set (e.g. greaves, gauntlets, helm).  Hopefully, with the new team there will be either a change in strategy from D3, or more clear communication between the availability of cards for players to collect.

It's hard to really say who is responsible for which aspect, since a lot of this falls under the umbrella of Design, so it's really a collaborative effort between Publisher and Developer. We all have our insights and opinions to share with each other. There are a lot of times we rely on the Developer's experience to determine a final decision, and other times they rely on the feedback we acquire, It's all taken into account when deciding on those aspects.