Hibernum Studio Closure (8/16/17)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,

Hibernum, the developer of Magic: the Gathering - Puzzle Quest, has announced the closure of their studio today. We want to thank the development team for their years of support, and wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.

If you would like to learn more, please find our article briefly discussing this topic HERE

Comments

• JopeX37
    JopeX37 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So what does this mean?
  • Brigby
    Options
    @JopeX37 The game will still be up and running, so players don't need to worry about that.

In the long term, the vision of the game's future won't be affected much, since we're currently working with a trusted team of engineers and programmers to keep it alive. In the short term though, some features might be delayed as we transition to this new team.

Once we have more information to provide, I'll be sure to pass the news along to the community.
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Are Demiurge Studios taking over development, @Brigby?
  • Marcel
    Marcel Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Options
    To Hibernum, I enjoy the game you developed and will continue to play it, I hope the game still runs and booster crafting is implemented at the very least and won't spend a dime until I'm sure it will continue to be worked on by another studio until the foreseeable future. 
  • Brigby
    Options
    @Corn Noodles Apologies, but I'm afraid I don't have any information regarding the team that will be taking Hibernum's place.
  • JopeX37
    JopeX37 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Brigby I assume Booster Crafting is one of those features?
  • Brigby
    Options
    @JopeX37 If you are referencing it as a short-term feature, then yes, that is one of them.
  • Marcel
    Marcel Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Brigby said:
    @JopeX37 If you are referencing it as a short-term feature, then yes, that is one of them.
    Do your best @Brigby, that's all I ask. 
  • Brigby
    Options
    @GrizzoMtGPQ @octal9
    I personally don't know what specific stage we are at, when it comes to the new development team, but feel free to PM me with any information or credentials you'd like to provide, and I'll see what I can do.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Brigby any chance you could put the powers that be in touch with @octal9 and me? I think we'd really like to take over the development of this game. Bet you'd never hear such a strong whoop! of support from this forum. ;)

Whoop!

Let's hope the next set of developers is able to rekindle the promise MTGPQ had.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Brigby I was always confused on who was responsible for which aspects of the game between D3 and Hibernum.  Can you give us a brief review of exactly which aspects of the game were done by Hibernum and exactly what role D3 has in the game?  Thanks!
  • Corn_Noodles
    Options
    My guess is that the transition away from Hibernum started back around the announcement of the delay to booster crafting. Specifically, the post mentions "we are adding new members to the team", which leads me to believe this was the stealth announcement of a developer change.
  • Krishna
    Krishna Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Options
    JopeX37 said:
    @Brigby I assume Booster Crafting is one of those features?
    We're all assuming this
  • Outersider
    Outersider Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    In effect it's time to say goodbye to the game. Without support there really is no reason to play the game. It's been fun.  It's depressing to feel like the time spent playing the game has been a waste, but it has. Guess it's on to Elder Scrolls or something else that actually seems to have a good game. Any recommendations?
  • Corn_Noodles
    Options
    I agree with @octal9. Hibernum created a fun game that should be celebrated. I've often gotten the feeling that Hibernum could've and would've done more, but were held back. I wish the best to everyone that lost their jobs today.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Yeah, you have to be careful who you bed.  The blood-sucking short-sighted management at D3 couldn't let the game soar.  They sit on top of a goldmine selling cups of lemonade rather than harvesting the gold right below their ****.

I had a host of problems around card balance and interaction bugs, but there is a reason I still play over a year later and used to spend quite a bit of money. (Spoiler, it was when winning mattered) Sorry to see a company shutter, and I echo @octal9 that I hope everyone lands on their feet!

• Brigby
    Options
    babar3355 said:
    Brigby I was always confused on who was responsible for which aspects of the game between D3 and Hibernum.  Can you give us a brief review of exactly which aspects of the game were done by Hibernum and exactly what role D3 has in the game?  Thanks!
    @babar3355
    Simply put, we (D3 Go!) are responsible for Marketing/Communications/Customer Support, whereas Hibernum is responsible for the technical aspects of actually developing the game; Artwork, Programming, Design, etc. There is a bit of overlap in certain areas, particularly Communications and Design, but overall those are each studios' core responsibilities.

In effect it's time to say goodbye to the game. Without support there really is no reason to play the game. It's been fun.  It's depressing to feel like the time spent playing the game has been a waste, but it has. Guess it's on to Elder Scrolls or something else that actually seems to have a good game. Any recommendations?
    @Outersider
    While Hibernum will no longer be the developer for the game, there's no need to worry. We are already working with a trusted team of engineers and programmers to help keep the future of the game alive. 

octal9 said:
    This is disappointing news.

Brigby please let @Hibernum_JC and @Hibernum_Will (and apparently @Hibernum_Marie, @Hibernum_KR, and @Hibernum_Ben, none of whom I believe I've seen around these parts) know that the community greatly enjoys the game they've had a hand in creating, despite all outward appearances.

Hopefully all those laid off land on their feet.
    @octal9
    Of course. I'll see what I can do about getting in touch with them to let them know how much the community enjoys the game. It's sad to see them go, for sure, but thankfully the Montreal game development community is very open and supporting, so I'm sure they'll be working on another project in no time. :)
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Whodda thought that squeezing every last ounce of life out of the game could be a bad thing?