Thanks for crying about vaulting

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Had to sell covers before vaulting.

Had to sell covers under vaulting.

Have to sell covers post vaulting.

Yeah, it's a bit annoying that I'm back to pulling green X23s that I have to sell unless I want to fork over 240 CP. Likewise back to getting Elektra or Falcap covers. But I had to make those same decisions under vaulting. Sold numerous c4ge and gwenpool dupes before I was able to champ them.

Likewise I made the decision that SW would be the one character that would sell off all her covers and focus on champing the other latest 4s.

I get venting a bit though, I've got one elektra, one SW, one thoress, and 2 xavier on the vine and will only be able to champ one of them.

But I like pulling tokens as I get them, and fully accept that's the reality again under the current system. Instead of 2 latest that was going to need champing, I'm back up to 8 or 9, shrugs.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker

Yeah wow. Context is everything I guess and it doesn't make it through all the time. 

I was just griping is all. Not trying to raise a stink. Relax gents. 
    It's okay. We know the madness has taken hold of you. Never fear - many cycles later, the wheel will get fixed.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm particularly excited to have all of the vaulted 3*s back. I needed them for my champion farm!!
  • TheHungryPet
    TheHungryPet Posts: 229 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2017
    mpqr7 said:
    I'm particularly excited to have all of the vaulted 3*s back. I needed them for my champion farm!!
    I second that! Love to be able to get feeders for Jean, Peggy and Iceman. Will also have a better shot at lightning rounds with Gamora, Mystique and the Punisher. I still refuse to roster Sentry, though, with or without his fabulous hair :neutral:
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Ruinate said:
    ........ and she's back   :'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

(snipped screenshot of IW, nobody wants to see that) 

No joke, she was the first LT pull I had after this latest change was implemented. 

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 said:
    I second that! Love to be able to get feeders for Jean, Peggy and Iceman. Will also have a better shot at lightning rounds with Gamora, Mystique and the Punisher. I still refuse to roster Sentry, though, with or without his fabulous hair :neutral:
     Well, at the very least he feeds Moon Knight, which isn't a bad character. And all the other champ rewards. You'll also need him for Dat Required Character and Behemoth Burrito, and anytime he's a required character for a PvE, although that isn't often. 
  • Landale
    Landale Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    DarthDeVo said:
    mpqr7 said:
     Well, at the very least he feeds Moon Knight, which isn't a bad character. And all the other champ rewards. You'll also need him for Dat Required Character and Behemoth Burrito, and anytime he's a required character for a PvE, although that isn't often. 
    Indeed.  I actually set Sentry as a bonus hero to get that 13th Moon Knight cover.  It was quite helpful during vaulting.  
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ruinate said:
    ........ and she's back   :'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

Well for one she's good now...

For two...am I the only one who sees not Agent Coulson, but George W Bush?
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    shardwick said:
    Seems like your issue isn't so much with vaulting but with not having colorless covers or a trading system so that your dupes don't go to waste. Hell I had three dupes expiring in a few days and decided to just sell them off now because outside of getting a visit from the iso fairy I wasn't going to be able to champ all three 4*s with my limited amount of iso anyway. A Vintage Legends store would have been great though. Custom packs (8 of the latest plus 4 that you choose) would have worked as well.
    Can you imagine shield sim with custom packs though..... We'd see Peggy, Carol, Medusa, Rhulk, Iceman, <insert top tier 4*> combos all at 370ish in EVERY FREAKING TEAM!!!! No, custom packs are not a good idea. A vintage vault would have been nice, but this is a very valid compromise. Faster progress on new characters, but movement on them all.

On a side note, people complaining about wasting covers really need to show some restraint and hoard between pulls. Has worked great for me- pre, during, and post vaulting. That's not to say I particularly enjoy hoarding, but I don't want my valuable resources to go to waste.....
  • smkspy
    Milk Jugz said:
    smkspy said:
    Even without "crying" about vaulting devs were bound to roll it back. People built 4 star rosters faster, which also most probably meant a reduction in sales of the newest characters.

Now that it takes twice as long to build the latest 4 again, those gotta have them now p2w guys have even more reason to fork over the money. These guys aren't necessarily whales, but did spend money before vaulting but stopped once they realized building a 4 could happened in two weeks without having to pay a thing.
    No they didn't, they just built 25% of the 4* tier faster. Now without vaulting, but a skew in favor of new releases, you can build the new ones faster and still progress the old ones. Now you can actually build the 4* tier. With vaulting you were just getting a piece of the pie. I want the whole damn thing!!!!

You're just arguing a pro-non vaulting argument, which wasn't  the point of my post. If you must nitpick, yes, it was 25% of all 4 stars overall. However, that 25% was built much faster over a 3 month period than all of the vaulted 4s over (in my case) a year and a half of playing.

Pre-vaulting- 14 champed characters

During the vaulting period, I champed 19 characters. 13 of those latest 12. 

So yeah, people were able to build a legit 4 star roster much much faster than before. Many probably before they were ready to jump into 4 star territory.
  • Milk Jugz
    smkspy said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    smkspy said:
    Even without "crying" about vaulting devs were bound to roll it back. People built 4 star rosters faster, which also most probably meant a reduction in sales of the newest characters.

Now that it takes twice as long to build the latest 4 again, those gotta have them now p2w guys have even more reason to fork over the money. These guys aren't necessarily whales, but did spend money before vaulting but stopped once they realized building a 4 could happened in two weeks without having to pay a thing.
    No they didn't, they just built 25% of the 4* tier faster. Now without vaulting, but a skew in favor of new releases, you can build the new ones faster and still progress the old ones. Now you can actually build the 4* tier. With vaulting you were just getting a piece of the pie. I want the whole damn thing!!!!

You're just arguing a pro-non vaulting argument, which wasn't  the point of my post. If you must nitpick, yes, it was 25% of all 4 stars overall. However, that 25% was built much faster over a 3 month period than all of the vaulted 4s over (in my case) a year and a half of playing.

So yeah, people were able to build a legit 4 star roster much much faster than before. Many probably before they were ready to jump into 4 star territory.
    Name of the discussion is "Thanks for crying about vaulting" of course I'm going to defend something I think is a better solution than vaulting.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    smkspy said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    smkspy said:

Did you actually have a big stash of iso waiting for covered 4* when vaulting came?

For me it was Pre-vaulting: champed as many 4* as my iso allowed
    Vaulting: champed as many 4* as my iso allowed
    Post-Vaulting: champing as many 4* as my iso allowed.

Never in the last 2 years were covers the thing holding back my roster development.

• Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Before vaulting I was firmly in 3* land with zero 4* champs but with a truck load of ISO. I think it was around 2-3 million.
    When vaulting came I immediately started champing 4*s with zero wasted covers! So I guess I was in the sweetest of spots.
    By the time they undid vaulting the only new 4* I hadn't champed was vulture and of course, Mockingbird.
    I had a tiny stash and spent it all only to get a 6th purple cover for my 353 prof x and my 6th blue for my 055 iceman.
    With vaulting, if I got a 6th cover for a character I always managed to pull the rest I needed to champ them in the span of 2 weeks.
    With the unvaulting... I can't realistically hope that.

Is it annoying? Yeah.
    Is it better than the two previous systems we had? Tinykitty yeah!
    I do not mind a few wasted covers if it means that I actually havE some chance of adding some older 4* champs! There was a week of boosted characters that only carol was boosted from the latest bunch. And I didn't have any of the old ones.
    Now... I might!
  • smkspy
    edited August 2017
    Milk Jugz said:
    smkspy said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    smkspy said:

Name of the discussion is "Thanks for crying about vaulting" of course I'm going to defend something I think is a better solution than vaulting.

I wasn't defending vaulting, as my original point was merely giving an alternative perspective of why they it ended besides whining.

YOU had to turn it into the very whining the OP was talking about, and by doing that only proved what he was jokingly venting about...I agree with you about most of vaulting fwiw.

And if you wanted to defend vaulting then you quoted the wrong post.
  • Milk Jugz
    smkspy said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    smkspy said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    smkspy said:

I wasn't defending vaulting, as my original point was merely giving an alternative perspective of why they it ended besides whining.

YOU had to turn it into the very whining the OP was talking about, and by doing that only proved what he was jokingly venting about...I agree with you about most of vaulting fwiw.

And if you wanted to defend vaulting then you quoted the wrong post.
    Well I apologize you took my comment personally. I wasn't going for you personally and as a whole I did like your post. Just wanted to point out a half-truth in it, more to other people than you. I just don't want people to have something to hold to for vaulting, especially if it's a half-truth.

To clarify the half-truth, yes, people did build certain 4* characters faster, but they weren't building the tier faster. Just getting their feet wet. It would be like saying you went swimming all day, but never left the kiddie pool!!
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Milk Jugz said:
    Well I apologize you took my comment personally. I wasn't going for you personally and as a whole I did like your post. Just wanted to point out a half-truth in it, more to other people than you. I just don't want people to have something to hold to for vaulting, especially if it's a half-truth.

To clarify the half-truth, yes, people did build certain 4* characters faster, but they weren't building the tier faster. Just getting their feet wet. It would be like saying you went swimming all day, but never left the kiddie pool!!
    I'd say that a roster with only the 12 latest 4*s champed is still a 4* roster. You still compete at the same level, especially given the scaling changes.  To your analogy, it'd be like swimming in a 4 ft pool vs a 20 ft pool, but you swim just as fast.

I think that the devs might have found vaulting to be too efficient, which led to the change. I know I never champed so many characters so quickly. I think its fair to hate vaulting while still recognizing how you benefited from it.
  • Milk Jugz
    Straycat said:
    Milk Jugz said:

I'd say that a roster with only the 12 latest 4*s champed is still a 4* roster. You still compete at the same level, especially given the scaling changes.  To your analogy, it'd be like swimming in a 4 ft pool vs a 20 ft pool, but you swim just as fast.

I think that the devs might have found vaulting to be too efficient, which led to the change. I know I never champed so many characters so quickly. I think its fair to hate vaulting while still recognizing how you benefited from it.
    I beg the differ, there were times when the boost list was all vaulted during vaulting. Where's your 4* roster then? I had fun in those weeks crushing the unboosted latest in PVP with my boosted vaulted. It is very much only a piece of the pie, or the kiddie pool.
  • smkspy
    edited August 2017
    Not gonna quote you @Milk Jugz, those quotes are getting a bit long. 

I just wouldn't call it a half-truth. Once you've got 10-15 champed  4s then you have a full fledged four star roster, even without weekly boosts. it can't be denied that vaulting did exactly that.

I do agree about not being able to built the whole tier, which unless you were in a year or two  in the game BH greatly worked unless you were just plain unlucky with rng.

I think though my original still stands that being to build that four star roster regardless of it being tied to whole tier backfired  a bit on the devs and whining had less to do with rolling back vaulting. I think they saw a significant enough decrease in buying your way into a new character and decided that putting back those unvaulted having a significance decrease  in odds for new characters would renew spending habits on completing new characters faster.

Under vaulting I would probably have vulture at more than six covers at this point, instead it is taking much longer to gain those covers and for some, that isn't acceptable cool compared  to the drop rates during vaulting.

in my experience with vaulting, it worked well, perhaps too well and that was the real reason devs rolled it back, not our complaining about it.