How do you like the new event decks now that we've established how they actually work?

Options

Comments

• TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I do not like the new event decks
    I like the UI and not having to click through menus and confirmations everytime I want to use a deck. If only they kept the way the event decks worked before.
  • WiLDRAGE
    WiLDRAGE Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @Brigby

I only saw one other person other than me mention this, but it bears repeating: event decks are only saved to the device used to create them.

If you always play on the same device, it's not a big deal, but it's an undocumented (like everything else) "feature" that means that if I decide to play on my tablet, none of the decks I created with my Phone will be there and vice-versa.

Case in point, I created an Nahiri event deck on my Phone and this is what I get when I go to my other device:

I get a Phantom Event Deck as my selection because it remembers I created one on my phone.

//Removed Screenshot Due To Profanity In Deck Name -Brigby
  • deletedgone
    deletedgone Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2017
    Options
    WiLDRAGE said:
    @Brigby

I only saw one other person other than me mention this, but it bears repeating: event decks are only saved to the device used to create them.

If you always play on the same device, it's not a big deal, but it's an undocumented (like everything else) "feature" that means that if I decide to play on my tablet, none of the decks I created with my Phone will be there and vice-versa.

Case in point, I created an Nahiri event deck on my Phone and this is what I get when I go to my other device:

I get a Phantom Event Deck as my selection because it remembers I created one on my phone.

@WiLDRAGE thanks for posting this!  I've been getting frustrated that my event decks were getting blanked out, or seemed to be stuck on old versions.  This was the problem.  Bad game design, but at least I can plan for it now!
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yuppers.. That was me. I guess it was a little inobvious mixed with my sarcasm, but seriously. Just another annoying part of the new event deck coding that makes it not as fun.

If there was ANY WAY that you could save the event deck on the server side, it would make it a lot less hassle. And don't you want us to play on anything we possibly CAN play this game on? ;)
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ah yet another reason not to store deck data on local device eh shteev? 

These problems do tend to come out in the beta phase. 
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ohboy said:

What is beta? ;)
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    rafalele said:
    Ohboy said:

What is beta? ;)
    Apparently for D3 it's what us players get so we can find all the bugs that the developers (who apparently are also the QA team? That or their QA doesn't have enough time or doesn't get paid enough to do their job right) created and didn't catch by looking at their code.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It sounds nefarious, but Gmail was also in beta for the first five-ish years after its public release. 
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Options
    WiLDRAGE said:
    @Brigby

does that mean that you can create 2 different event
    decks on different devices, same planeswalker, same
    event?

HH
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    It sounds nefarious, but Gmail was also in beta for the first five-ish years after its public release. 
    Bloody hell, imagine how long it's going to take Hibernum then.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,935 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They also are deleted if you switch accounts, much like your global settings. 
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The way the new event deck slots work is very frustrating. I could care less what PW I used on the previous battle. I care what I used last on that particular match. Additionally, sometimes I use multiple decks for the same PW to meet different objectives so I end up rebuilding my decks before each fight anyway. 

This is change is functionally WORSE than not having event decks at all since it's too easy to bring the wrong deck/PW into a match. 
  • deletedgone
    deletedgone Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Seriously.  What were they thinking?  This change was ill-conceived and (best case) completely untested.  How could this possibly have been approved for release?  Assuming two different people did the original event deck slots and the current version, I would be irate if my work was trashed to this extent.
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I see other people already reported the device-stored decks. Bravo! I am sure that takes a lot of space on the servers (because it's enough disk space we are having issues with in 2017) so you decided to store this information on the device. And of course QA didn't catch it because why bother and test on multiple devices? Given that an internet connection is required at all times to do anything in the game... that's just plain stupid.
    This is something that should grab your attention ASAP - if this is not marked as a bug, there are some serious issues with your product manager (if you have any in the first place).

And now on a lighter note, this whole "decks not remembered" has forced me to experiment a bit and found some of the HOU cards are actually amazing. So thanks for that opportunity at least - of course I spent the whole weekend paranoid whether the "new deck" was just as good as "the old deck" or it would end up being a disaster... But I experimented at least and feel more comfortable going a bit wilder with my builds.

Word of advice to other players: until this mess is fixed, screenshot your decks so you don't end up constantly wondering whether you had a specific card in the current event deck or not.
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    New event decks? I hates them.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm not a fan. I preferred the previous "event decks" from before the update where-in each node was kept as an individual deck. Sure, it sucked having to remember the deck you built per node the last time the event came around but at least they were simple enough to build back up.

Using Revolt against the Consulate as an example, say I run Koth on Enraged Giant and create an event deck for it. Now I move on to Consulate Dreadnought and the event deck slot for Koth is still the same one that I just used for Enraged Giant. They have entirely different objectives that require an entirely different deck. Prior to the update, Koth would have been saved to each node with a separate deck if I used him for both. If I went back to Enraged Giant, the deck Koth would be running would still be the "Energize everything" deck, and if I swapped back to Consulate Dreadnought it would still be the "Vehicles and spells" deck. Now I have to change the event deck for Koth each time I change the node I'm fighting on because these event decks are for the entirety of the event per Planeswalker rather than for each individual node of the event.
  • stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The current implementation of event decks is bad enough to make me not do the weekend pve event. It's pretty telling when a 'feature' is bad enough to keep someone from playing the game.
  • Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options

really annoyed that the decks cannot remember the nodes and that every time I swap devices or log in and out of my accounts the decks vanish.

Very poor guys, just add another layer of frustration to the onion, thanks

• arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Having seen how the new Event Deck works for two Hour of Revelation events, I'll say that it's inferior to the previous version.

On the plus side, if you know you can use a single deck to run through multiple nodes/challenges in PvE (such as Fateful or Revolt), it's good that the event saves one deck so that you don't have to manually rebuild it for a different node.

On the minus side, the fact that the previous deck I use is saved when I want to challenge a different node is inferior to the previous version because you'll have to switch deck everytime you change nodes, which can be problematic in, for example, God Pharaoh last nodes where the final challenge uses an entirely different deck requirement than the others.

Plus, unless I sorely remembered it wrong, the Event deck still doesn't carry over the decks that I made for the previous iteration of the event. What I mean is that whatever decks I made for the first Hour of Revelation weren't carried over to the second one, which meant I still have to build from scratch anyway. Also, the new Event Deck is no improvement to the previous one.
  • Copioso
    Copioso Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I often wish to use the same PW in multiple encounters in PvE events, with different decks that can suit the different objectives.
    The previous system allowed us to save such decks just once and kept memory of all of them.
    Now, instead, it will only remember one deck per PW, so if I want to keep using that PW but with a different deck I have to rebuild every time.
    I think this is a huge step back.