Riri Wrecks Shop (the best rework in the game?)

rdvargas1
rdvargas1 Posts: 77 Match Maker
Like most, I thought Riri was probably the worst character in the game, but after getting so many covers for her I very reluctantly champed her.  Still never used her, but champed none the less.  After this rework, she is running through the Simulator like Vader at the end of Rogue One.  I have her at 3/5/5 lvl 278 boosted to 383 in Simulator.  Together with Iron Man 40 and 4* Blade they are as unstoppable as it gets. IM40 recharge, Riri Remote gauntlets to Selfless Intervention to Magnetic Repulsors to make more red for Gauntlets and 23596 damage and death for anyone left standing. Oh, also three free turns because of enemy being airborne.   I love her. 

So, is this the best rework that the Devs have done? IM40 would be the only challenger I think.  Or am I just giddy from using this new beast?

Comments

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Helps that she's boosted and required. She's definitely beastly now, but unboosted she'd be a little less impressive.
    But I'd recommend at least 4 blue. It can create cascades, then afterwards change the middle to charged tiles and create more cascades.

I think hers, IM40's, and Starlord's reworks have done the best to redeem a character from trash to great.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    She does some fantastic damage, and her blue is finally useful. I always feel that all powers should have a use, no matter what. There should never be a power that is prevented from firing.

This had been a problem with the old Riri Blue and also the old Cho Black. Both of which have now been fixed and made the characters much better.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    She was pretty good before hand,  it's just she needed to be championed before hand.  Now she's quite good
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I still wish her red was a direct nuke. I don't like it being random. Messes with my IM40, Peggy, and Riri team.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Depends on how you're defining "best re-work". I also wouldn't have called her the worst character in the game before. She's definitely more dangerous now, though.
  • cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    smkspy said:
    I still wish her red was a direct nuke. I don't like it being random. Messes with my IM40, Peggy, and Riri team.

Actually it's like Peggy's blue, it targets all but the enemy in front.  At least that's how it's supposed to work.  When there's only one target left it does double damage to the single target.  Kinda wish it was a direct nuke to begin with, though, as you say.

• Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,329 Chairperson of the Boards
    Another vote for 4 blue covers. The reduction in damage of green (and 1 turn of Airborne, which is almost irrelevant) is worth the obscene amount of red you can make with charged tiles once you figure out the best board states to fire Repulsors. I'd say that at 4 covers it is a better power than Called Shot, which was already one of the best blue powers in 4* land.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Probably the best best in terms of powering up without making it too overpowered.

IM40's yellow is a complete joke of a skill in terms of absurd power level to cost ratio and only exists because he's a 3* character.  It's hard to applaud that fix because he's NOT a balanced character.

Riri was strong but flawed before, now she might even be good enough to see some pvp play along with the likes of Carol and Medusa.  We'll see.  Well done on the Riri buff!

As an aside:
    Having recently finished Doc Ock I can confidently say he badly needs the review treatment as well.

• Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    I'm having  a blast with Riri right now.  Making charged red tiles is a HUGE plus for her blue and feeds into red really well.  I actually like the rework for her red, I've been knocking out two characters at a time instead of just one.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used her in DDQ this morning, and in some of my fights in Hooked on a Feeling, just to get a feel for how she is when not boosted. Still pretty impressive. I have her at 4/5/4 just because that was how the covers fell out, but even now that I have her Champed, I feel no need to respec.

I've actually been surprised by how much damage her blue ends up doing when I time it right. A match-6 with 4 of them Charged, plus the usual resulting cascade ends up being a pretty major hit.

The interaction between her red and green is the only real issue I have with her. The fact that it results in situations where you can't even fire the red is frustrating.

I also do like her red for being able to get around things like Colossus's Immovable Object and Thanos's Come Get Me. Haven't had a chance yet to see if it'll also work around Life of the Party and Rock Solid, but I suspect it will.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    Ruinate said:
    Does anybody know what happens when enemy Thing is in front and you punch the guy behind him with Riri's red?

That's a great question @Ruinate... I second it... How does it work?  @TPF Alexis mentions "getting around" Colossus and Thanos... How does it Riri's red work against those two?  What about 3* Deadpool?

• Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Overall it's a good rework. My only complaints are:

1. when there's only two opponents her red is sub-optimal hitting only one of them
    2. her blue doesn't prioritize special tiles

I really like her blue now, i like random abilities that can lead into crazy cascades.
  • farlus
    farlus Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    I always thought Riri was underrated before because she was a monster boosted, but she is a bulldozer now. I love the rework. I roll 4/5/4 for reasons previously mentioned, the value of the charged reds cannot be understated. She is a super fun character to play with, and pairing her with Vulture with both boosted is a blast. I loved her before and love the rework. I hate champed her a few months back and am glad I did - she is by far my highest champed 4* at level 302, in fact I pulled 14 (!!) covers for her in yesterday's pull.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Thanos said:
    1. when there's only two opponents her red is sub-optimal hitting only one of them
    No worse than a team-damage power in this regard. Actually, better, because the damage goes up once you down one of them with one of your other characters (you brought allies, right?)

And never mind that, it's -still- better damage than AV's Red when under the AP threshold, both in damage and damage/AP. Sorry Flash. I love you, but Symbiotic Assault is pretty bad, even though the graphic is awesome.

Look at it more like Max Pun's Merciless Charge. Sub-optimal in one case, pretty damn good in the other two.
  • TPF Alexis
    Felonius said:
    Ruinate said:
    Does anybody know what happens when enemy Thing is in front and you punch the guy behind him with Riri's red?

That's a great question @Ruinate... I second it... How does it work?  @TPF Alexis mentions "getting around" Colossus and Thanos... How does it Riri's red work against those two?  What about 3* Deadpool?

Colossus and Thanos make themselves the targets of all Attacks. Her red hits everyone except the target. It's just like hitting them with an AoE, except that it doesn't also hit the person in front.

I did run across a team with Thing, but I downed him before I got enough red, so I didn't get to try that out.
  • Jaedenkaal
    edited July 2017
    Don't think it's that straightforward. Thing and Deadpool move to the front to intercept the attack, but her attack doesn't hit the person in front.

Also, I just nabbed two "Countdown for What" tiles with Mag Repulsors, and converted them to Red Charged tiles. Satisfying.

Edit: Just tried it against Colossus with his tile out. RCGs ignore Immovable Object when Colossus is in front and there are other targets. In the sense that Colossus doesn't take the hit. Presumably it would reduce the damage to Colossus if he was the only target remaining. Also expecting this would affect Spider-Woman and Elektra the same way.
  • TPF Alexis
    Like I said, I haven't had a chance to try it against Thing or Deadpool. Against Thanos or Colossus, tho, it can be thought of as analogous to an AoE.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Yeah I noticed we were in agreement after I posted :)