Who do YOU think needs balancing?

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion
Ever since they began doing character re-balances last year I've felt this is one of the more positive trends from the development team. I think they've done a good job with the re-balances they've done (including OML) and I also feel they've done so with frequent regularity. But I also think there's more work to be done.

If you could pick one character from the 3-star tier, one character from the 4-star tier, and one character from the 5-star tier, who would be the three characters you think are in the most need of re-balancing?

(I'd like to discuss buffs, but if you feel strongly someone needs a nerf please feel free to share.)

Comments

• aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    3* Colossus: My favorite X-men character. And guess what, he just recently nerfed.
    4* Antman: He is not anywhere near the bottom, but, again, he is one of my favorite characters. It would be nice to have him a bit more in-line with the current middle-of-the-pack.
    5* No idea. I have practically zero experience with them.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    3* Psylocke. Poor Psylocke.
    4*... you know, there aren't too many of these that are useless all the time. I think Nick Fury could use some updates to his Yellow and Purple, though, his age is really showing there. (Compare Escape Plan to Nova Blast, Full of Surprises, Because Boomerangs, and possibly more. It's basically worse than all of them, and they're not even amazing powers themselves)
    5* I think BSSM needs a boost to avoid being completely worse than Teen Petey
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    3*: Sentry. He harnesses the powers of exploding suns but he's not at all scary, and the team self-damage makes no sense. His red is probably OK if you remove the team damage and the loss of turn, but his yellow has a bad cost/benefit ratio, and his green is too easily countered; shields are too effective since the damage is implemented as a large number of low-damage countdowns. 
    4*: I'll second the motion on Fury. His Blue is fine, but his yellow is hard to pull off decently and his Purple shows its age. Purple doesn't need to be a big adjustment, maybe multiple strike tiles based on covers and either remove the countdown or make it 1 turn. I'm not sure how you fix yellow.
    5*: Doc Ock: Interesting concept poorly executed. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My picks are:

3-Star Hulk
    So, the best part about Hulk is his black passive, but it's broken because as he levels he gets more health, reducing its effectiveness. (So basically, the stronger Hulk gets, the weaker Hulk gets.) His green is weak-sauce and needs to do more damage, but changing his red is a bigger priority. His red needs to be straight damage and not tied to green AP.

4-Star X-Force Wolverine
    His black is fine, but his other two colors are so pathetic its laughable. Green needs either more damage or more utility (like, directed destruction) and his yellow should be either passive healing or something similar to X-23's match healing.

5-Star ???
    I only know what I hear on these forums. I'm pretty sure Cap, Iron Man, and Hulk suck. I'll let those who play in the 5-star arena share their opinions. I'll probably never make the jump to that level until there's a 6-star tier.
  • captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    3:  Bullseye:  I like the concept and he's fun to play.  While he's fun, it is just not good enough to use him all that much.

4:  X-Force Wolverine:  With power creep you could just change him back to the way he was.  Or make green and yellow better (as mentioned above.)  It is really stupid that a character known for his resiliency is so squishy.

5:  Silver Surfer:  As an early 5, so many of us have him but I never see him used.  Such a neat character should be fun to play.

• monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    3*:  Psylocke:   Her blue is pretty much useless, and her red and black neither hit hard enough or produce strong enough special tiles.  Her baseline attack strength needs to be closer to where it is when boosted, and her blue needs to be totally overhauled.  Maybe a passive that steals AP when the opponent fires a power or something.

4*:  So many to choose from, but now that Riri has gotten buffed, Sandman is a good choice.  He's a big, hot mess.  2* Storm & Scarlet Witch have better AoE + stuns, C&D are a much better yellow battery, and you have to collect 20 yellow AP to get the yellow AoE, only to lose all protects.  Damage and utility need to be adjusted across the board.

5*:  Hulk.  Now that 4* R&G have an extra-turn-before-your-turn mechanic as well, only one where they get to keep the AP generated from their matches, Hulk needs to *at least* get that treatment.  His blue needs to be a better mechanic for generating green AP, otherwise he's almost never going to transform on defense (especially since he has a move in Hulk form that expends green AP).  A Chulk-style CD, or C&D-style passive generation would be good workarounds.  Hulk form's green should be stronger, given that he has almost *no* active damage dealers, or maybe add a passive purple that generates strikes or attacks while in Hulk form.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options

4*:  So many to choose from, but now that Riri has gotten buffed, Sandman is a good choice.  He's a big, hot mess.  2* Storm & Scarlet Witch have better AoE + stuns, C&D are a much better yellow battery, and you have to collect 20 yellow AP to get the yellow AoE, only to lose all protects.  Damage and utility need to be adjusted across the board.
    Yellow isn't even an AoE. Although, if you have even 1 protect from somewhere else, you get the (unexciting but fine) damage first time. I wouldn't mind -some- effect that scales with the number of Protect tiles removed, though, and a 3-turn stun at full covers on green would be a nice add too.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    3 Star- Hulk. Red is weak, drains ap and can do self damage. If only it ended the turn, it could have hit all criteria for a bad ability. Green is weak, could be lowered to 8 ap like carnage.

4 Star- Falcon. He can still hit hard if set up well, but it takes too long and usually isn't worth it. He also was stealth nerfed when Carol and Wasp boost tiles way better, and Carol and Coulson reduce countdowns much better. I think he could be updated to fit the modern game better.

5 Star- Green Goblin. Similar to Falcon, he was once unique at something and no longer is. Hawkeye can fortify countdowns passively, and does more when they expire. Goblins yellow is pretty limited nowadays.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    3* - Psylocke or Hulk. Betsy's damage is just not there and her red power is strange and needs to be updated. Hulk's black doesn't go off, his red drains green for almost no reason, and his green doesn't do enough damage. 

4* Nick Fury . I agree with everyone. He needs an update/rework to his powers. He's gonna fire them once (if at all) and his yellow is total lulzville. 

5* Starlord. Specifically his purple. 
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    3* Vision - Underwhelming and outclassed by almost every other 3 star.  His light vs heavy dynamic is confusing.

4* Eddie Brock - The 2nd 4 * venom is worse then the first one. Powers pale in comparison to other abilities.

5* Star Lord - No one seems to like him at all.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    3*: Psylocke, Hulk, or Beast.
    4*: Sandman
    5*: Surely you jest.
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    3*- Loki- the God of Mischief is easy to take down and has underwhelming powers. At least Psylocke or Vision have some sort of attack, Loki is just there. She- Hulk also needs to be more powerful, the Hulk is far scarier than she is. Sentry is also ridiculously weak and self-defeating, but I don't really care about him anyway.

4*- Gwenpool's cheat codes have stopped being funny centuries ago. I wish her purple would give her some clear real power that doesn't require a spreadsheet to use. Invisible Woman, Professor X and Miles also need to do more damage, especially since invisibility got a serious nerf altogether.

5*- Hulk- he's the worst. His black creates attack tiles against his team (real cheap power too, so there are lots of tiles!) and the Other Guy makes the best matches, but since he doesn't gain AP, he just takes all the best possible AP away from you. And hardly does enough damage for a Hulk. At least he's hard to kill. Phoenix isn't great either: Psychic report creates some red; Psychic Flames do a lot of damage and place strike titles, but can also place attack titles against Jean's team for some reason; and From the Ashes creates a resurrection tile that is too easy to destroy.
  • Over__Flow
    Over__Flow Posts: 59
    Options
    3* : psylocke
    4* : sandman for newest and nick fury
    5* : doc oc hulk and maybe even sl without being able to chose
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    3* Psylocke: I like the way each cast of her red power speeds up future casts, but then it stops producing strike tiles.  Maybe trading off some of the strike tile strength for continuing to produce them would help?  Her blue could be replaced with something else entirely.

4* Wolverine: give him a better healing power would be a good start.  I understand why they nerfed him at the time (even though I think they overdid it), but he's been left behind since then.

5*: I don't have enough experience playing as or against any of these characters.

1* Venom: I'm kind of glad they neutered his stun for when I play against him, but it went a bit far.  Since green is one of his other strong colours, perhaps give him a version of 4* Venom's green?
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    3-star: Ragnarok.  He's generally considered the weakest 3-star character, so why not start with him?  No self-damage in the green ability. Make the blue a true heal.

4-star:  Nick Fury.  His blue is awesome, and doesn't need to be changed.  It's his yellow and (especially) purple that could use a tune-up.  If not him, then X-Force Wolverine.

5-star:  Heh...no clue.  I've heard Hulk is terrible, but I don't have him rostered, so I don't know.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    3* : Daken, that guy hasnt been relevant for the longest time, those numbers are bad

4* : Sandman, his yellow is bad bad bad. (Ghost rider too)

5* : Black Suit Spider-Man, apart from strike tiles reduction, stun on blue is not long enough / dmg too low, 14 green AP single target ability is not real good either.
  • Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2017
    Options
    3-star: Ragnarok.  He's generally considered the weakest 3-star character, so why not start with him?  No self-damage in the green ability. Make the blue a true heal.
    And watch him spam heal himself in every PVE with goon feeders? No thanks.  I like him nice and dumb.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And watch him spam heal himself in every PVE with goon feeders? No thanks.  I like him nice and dumb.
    Is there really any difference between burst healing himself and true healing himself when he's on the enemy team?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    Is there really any difference between burst healing himself and true healing himself when he's on the enemy team?
    None whatsoever
  • krak0
    krak0 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    Options
    3* Psylocke she is just bad ,4* Sanndman needs help, 5* Star Lord he is horrible lazy design and all they changed from the 3 to 5 star version are numbers