Divine Champs "Beta Test" Awards

Comments

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    The specific prizes don't really matter to me. I just want to win!

Preferably, it would be great to have a guaranteed way of winning that last 15 cp, such as putting it at 1200 points. kthxbye
  • Khanwulf
    Khanwulf Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2017
    Well I'm in SCL8 for... IDK? I do need XFW. Regardless, there have been more possible targets than other Versus events, which means that I'm getting a lot less retaliations. More fish in the pool, I suppose.

Hit ~550 after 16 matches, for one day's effort and Rank 13. Several losses during the day as well as a few wins: I don't think defensive wins increase your win total--that might be a thing for them to consider and it would help mitigate the pain of too many matches to hit the 4* cover.

This morning woke up to -115 points and a sea of maxchamped Captain Marvel, Medusa and the like. Most events this would be the point where I restrain the urge to throw the phone, and toggle back to PvE while swearing dire curses on the flesh of the devs who A. created Versus and B. permit it to persist.

Instead I shrugged and did 9 more matches. Competitive placement is not the objective.

First background, then observations:

My roster is a 2* farm, all but 3/4 3* champed, all 4* rostered but only 2 champed (Mordu and Coulson), and a scattering of unusable 5*s. --Pretty normal for a 3-4 transition player, and where I think most MPQ players end up fairly quickly. I'm not a brilliant player but do invest $10/mo., and consider myself mediocre to average. In other words, I should be the ideal profile for what Demiurge wants their broadest base to look like!

It has been feasible to find wins if play is paced out over a day (roughly 24 hours so far), however Versus is murder on health packs as even a decent win will require healing for one or two heroes. So far I've been using my two champed 4*s heavily and not resorting to B-team options, which I could do.

What I have observed is that the time investment is still considerable. Playing the Versus event has sidelined attempts at fully completing Hulk, which is ok in this case because I missed full clears (5+) a couple of days earlier and thus have little hope of a full Hulk completion anyway... Got the consolation CP prize there, got out.

8 Versus matches takes an hour to an hour and a quarter. So total time investment for a Versus event over two days at 40 wins will be 5-6 hours. This is... a lot. And certainly means choosing between Versus and PvE since the later requires such heavy time commitment to reach full completion.

Eventually optimal play may end up being doing 2-day Versus full clears for the cover, and playing PvE to 3+ clears per board on average to get the cover plus consolation CP, there.

This is way, way too much to expect from players. The time commitment is too damn high!

--Khanwulf   
  • WilsonFisk
    WilsonFisk Posts: 365 Mover and Shaker
    SCL5 for me too, and I've got 4 champed 5*s. I pretty much only play for cp at this point, don't particularly care about placement or point whoring, so I'll get my 15cp as easily as possible. 
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    Khanwulf said:
    Well I'm in SCL8 for... IDK? I do need XFW. Regardless, there have been more possible targets than other Versus events, which means that I'm getting a lot less retaliations. More fish in the pool, I suppose.

Hit ~550 after 16 matches, for one day's effort and Rank 13. Several losses during the day as well as a few wins: I don't think defensive wins increase your win total--that might be a thing for them to consider and it would help mitigate the pain of too many matches to hit the 4* cover.

This morning woke up to -115 points and a sea of maxchamped Captain Marvel, Medusa and the like. Most events this would be the point where I restrain the urge to throw the phone, and toggle back to PvE while swearing dire curses on the flesh of the devs who A. created Versus and B. permit it to persist.

Instead I shrugged and did 9 more matches. Competitive placement is not the objective.

First background, then observations:

My roster is a 2* farm, all but 3/4 3* champed, all 4* rostered but only 2 champed (Mordu and Coulson), and a scattering of unusable 5*s. --Pretty normal for a 3-4 transition player, and where I think most MPQ players end up fairly quickly. I'm not a brilliant player but do invest $10/mo., and consider myself mediocre to average. In other words, I should be the ideal profile for what Demiurge wants their broadest base to look like!

It has been feasible to find wins if play is paced out over a day (roughly 24 hours so far), however Versus is murder on health packs as even a decent win will require healing for one or two heroes. So far I've been using my two champed 4*s heavily and not resorting to B-team options, which I could do.

What I have observed is that the time investment is still considerable. Playing the Versus event has sidelined attempts at fully completing Hulk, which is ok in this case because I missed full clears (5+) a couple of days earlier and thus have little hope of a full Hulk completion anyway... Got the consolation CP prize there, got out.

8 Versus matches takes an hour to an hour and a quarter. So total time investment for a Versus event over two days at 40 wins will be 5-6 hours. This is... a lot. And certainly means choosing between Versus and PvE since the later requires such heavy time commitment to reach full completion.

Eventually optimal play may end up being doing 2-day Versus full clears for the cover, and playing PvE to 3+ clears per board on average to get the cover plus consolation CP, there.

This is way, way too much to expect from players. The time commitment is too damn high!

--Khanwulf   
    i Hit 16 wins in about 15 mins for my CP. Way faster than before. time commitment aint that bad for me. I got 10 wins off of seed teams using thanos 3* for quick clears . I have a 3* main roster with a few 4* champed and a strong 2 star farm. 

Currently with 1D8H left i have 28 wins at 511 points rank 107 SCL8 Slice 1. Last day i will get the 12 remaining wins for remaining rewards and placement. This is no different then how i have been playing.

I guess some people it takes longer than others, but for me it way faster and my goal for placement is top 50. But i was able to earn my CP in the first 20 mins of the  event instead of grinding a day to 400, waiting for points to fill, grinding to 575 the next day, playing catch up the last day, then battling for placement the last 2 hours of an event or hitting 875 and getting curb stomped from earning the 4 star reward. This is way easier for me to get the rewards.

My friend also was never able to hit 900 with his roster and earn a 4 star. He had Xforce after the first day of grinding because he needed him bad. He has a 3 star only roster with weaker underleveled 4 stars.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    I play for the 4* cover so the test is pretty targeted at me.

I def. played more matches overall to get to that point.  Through 650/20 matches things were roughly in line as a front runner (wins corresponded to the point reward).  After that the number of matches per reward increased, but because I wasn't concerned with sprinting to a shield, I was able to take my time and find good fights (3-5 skips normally for a single boosted champ, which is a gimme win).  I took plenty of hits, especially when I was at dinner, but I finished the 40 without any real effort or stress in 24 hours.   

This was much simpler and easier overall than shielding/hunting for a single perfect queue and sprinting through that hop as fast as I could.  I was also able to avoid double/triple tapping like I normally do at the tail end of my climb, since I could pick and choose my targets without a ticking clock in my head feeling like a penalty.

Overall: more time in matches, less time out of matches.  For a 4* player a much better gaming experience.
  • Khanwulf
    i Hit 16 wins in about 15 mins for my CP. Way faster than before. time commitment aint that bad for me. I got 10 wins off of seed teams using thanos 3* for quick clears . I have a 3* main roster with a few 4* champed and a strong 2 star farm. 

Currently with 1D8H left i have 28 wins at 511 points rank 107 SCL8 Slice 1. Last day i will get the 12 remaining wins for remaining rewards and placement. This is no different then how i have been playing.

I guess some people it takes longer than others, but for me it way faster and my goal for placement is top 50. But i was able to earn my CP in the first 20 mins of the  event instead of grinding a day to 400, waiting for points to fill, grinding to 575 the next day, playing catch up the last day, then battling for placement the last 2 hours of an event or hitting 875 and getting curb stomped from earning the 4 star reward. This is way easier for me to get the rewards.

My friend also was never able to hit 900 with his roster and earn a 4 star. He had Xforce after the first day of grinding because he needed him bad. He has a 3 star only roster with weaker underleveled 4 stars.
    Don't understand how 10 wins from seed teams is possible: I only ever see three and then it's champed 3s and 4s the whole way. I suppose the matchmaker likes you more, or whatever. We're playing the same slice, same SCL and with similar rosters. 

Go home Versus, you're drunk.

Anyway, I'm pleased to have the raw, frothing rage of Versus blunted and to be able to play toward the 4*, as the devs seem to assume everyone has had the capability of hitting 900... while I've never seen it personally.

--Khanwulf

• DyingLegend
    OJSP said:
    Khanwulf said:
    Don't understand how 10 wins from seed teams is possible: I only ever see three and then it's champed 3s and 4s the whole way. I suppose the matchmaker likes you more, or whatever. We're playing the same slice, same SCL and with similar rosters. 
    I'm afraid the answer is: whatever.. There is a way to ensure we have more than 3 seed teams.
    If you start the event right away, you can rail off the quick seed team wins while the slice starts to populate.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would really love for the devs to do something with defensive wins. As it is a defensive win is pretty much just a pat on the back for yourself especially now since more people are just going to focus on wins and not points. I would like to see a reward structure, nothing too fancy like giving out 4* covers, but maybe every defensive win, up to 5-10 in a pvp event, can give health packs, iso, elites, boosts and the last would give hp. So even if people game the system and trade losses with each other the rewards won't be that great but a nice little prize now and then.
  • Khanwulf
    OJSP said:
    I'm afraid the answer is: whatever.. There is a way to ensure we have more than 3 seed teams.
    If this information is openly available on the forums would you kindly link? And yes, OJ would be grand.

--Khanwulf
  • DyingLegend
    sh81 said:

Mine was a bit longer because I missed the seeds, but even so I hit the 10cp quicker than ever. 

Normally I get out there, but instead Ive gone on to 20 wins, and will go for the 4* over the next day
    It is so much less stress getting that 4 star reward, i dont understand what peoples issue is with this test. The community was begging for win based progression rewards, they give it to us and it becomes  "too much work". I love it. Gives me an easier avenue to 4 star rewards with WAY less stress.
  • Khanwulf
    edited July 2017
    It is so much less stress getting that 4 star reward, i dont understand what peoples issue is with this test. The community was begging for win based progression rewards, they give it to us and it becomes  "too much work". I love it. Gives me an easier avenue to 4 star rewards with WAY less stress.
    Stress? The stress is incomparable. It's a 1 on the Versus-stress scale. I'm happily flipping the bird at the game every time it says "you lost points!!!111oneelventyone!" That is not longer a factor, and this is Good.

The problem is one that we've seen over the past six months: a procession from rewards of (X out of max Z) with Y effort to rewards of X-3 with Y+5 effort, with Z increasing by 10. No one minds Z going up (the max available rewards), but when the benchmark of X becomes harder that EFFECTIVELY makes the game more demanding and less productive for average players--those without large sums of money or many hours per day to invest (which is, after all, the same thing in the end....).

It's a drift toward "pay up or get out" that is at odds with the Dev language of "people were/are spending too much time on MPQ!"--It sounds hypocritical, and that's why the community here has laughed at them, scornfully.

--Khanwulf, still enjoying win-progression 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    sh81 said:

Mine was a bit longer because I missed the seeds, but even so I hit the 10cp quicker than ever. 

Normally I get out there, but instead Ive gone on to 20 wins, and will go for the 4* over the next day
    Yeah a lot complained that there would be too much grinding but I'm not getting that at all. I feel like I've barely touched it and am already up to 28 wins and I'll probably get the rest after my alliance finishes the Spidey event.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    I think I get hit less by 5*s because everyone is clubbing seals. I got to 1003 and floated with a 5*/4*/3*. I dropped to 500 and now I am back at 900. Why spend the HP if the climb is so easy. 
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the # of wins needs to be re-calibrated. If 30-35 were the top progression, that'd be a lot less awkward than it is for where I am in things.

But I know this is better for a lot of folks.

Hopefully they do make some adjustments.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards

There's a lot of rosters higher than mine throwing out decent, but definitely 2nd tier teams, so I'm trying to face them all in mirror matches and hope that they retaliate in-kind so we can keep up the cycle for another day or so.  Sure, my score will suffer, but who cares?

While the target number of wins for each award needs to be tweaked, I'm really liking this test in general.  I've already used more different characters and faced more different characters than I have in a single PVP event since I was a 2* player.  That's particularly refreshing after a week were (2/3)+ of all teams I saw was Featured Character/Red Hulk/Carol over-and-over-and-over-again.

• turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 786 Critical Contributor
    im really enjoying this , I'm up to 24 already and if overnight I get the expected pummelling from several people picking on me I can fight them back in the morning 

shame the rewards aren't great but still fun 
  • Mon-El
    Mon-El Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    edited July 2017
    I got all the awards so far..and yea I feel dirty cause I slipped to SCL 5 from my normal SCL 8 & 7...but then again..I'm seeing tons of 5* and 4* rosters (lots of mirrored matches 4* CD,Blade and Medusa), so I guess lots thought same as I did...give the lower tier a shot...I'm at 53 wins and first time ever got to over 1K without shielding..that being said..I'm shielded now that I got over 1K...
  • Mcjordan
    Mcjordan Posts: 82 Match Maker
    I really like this new system.  It seemed rewarding to continue playing, and less of a beating when you'd lose.  A great change IMO.
  • Loftus
    Loftus Posts: 79 Match Maker
    I love this new system, to me your points for placement makes perfect sense, so having progression based on the same thing didn't seem right to me. Especially when the luck of your bracket effects things so much. Sometimes you find a bracket with a dozen players over 1000 points and sometimes loads of people sit on 800, it always felt like it was a bit out of my hands what sort of progression i would reach, while now i can play and win to earn all the rewards i want which is awesome. Rankings still have all their value and this way you don't wind up getting ultra close to a progression reward and then ganked by everyone, suddenly losing 50+ points. Now you get reliable progression rewards and more choice in opponents as you can go for a high number of wins or riskier, more valuable opponents for ranking rewards.

I'm unfortunate in that i have less than 13 covers for XFW but already have 5 black, so i can't do a thing with the top reward, but i really hope its a system they trial more and eventually switch to moving forward.