Mind Gem Season Changes *Updated (7/25/17)

Options

Comments

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    *Vulture will be entering packs, and Blade (Modern) will be exiting packs.
    Great news, he has been far more fun to use than Sandman already so it would have been a great shame for him to be missing for another season.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mockingbird looks pretty sweet. Let the hoard begin starting Thursday for her
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bombshell damage/AP damage looks like it get pretty big. Previewing the rank 5 numbers, it hits 6594 at level 70. That could be Photinic Barrage levels of damage at 270-plus.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    zodiac339 said:
    Bombshell damage/AP damage looks like it get pretty big. Previewing the rank 5 numbers, it hits 6594 at level 70. That could be Photinic Barrage levels of damage at 270-plus.

I think he passive looked the most interesting. I have a feeling it won't be super easy to get off but I think some teams can take advantage of it. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    zodiac339 said:
    Roughly 12,900, I'd estimate. Although you'd seemingly only get that one one of the two CDs, which would remove it, and then the second one would go off normally (for only ~9800, plus ~1270 to Mockingbird). Unless you cast it again(or got it for free?) before the first two expired.

I'm guessing the Opportunity power is the reason for the change to Fastball Special. Since the opponent makes the match-4 on their turn it would be difficult or impossible to allow you to make choices for a power at that time.

The real question is: Can Opportunity trigger Fastball Special :D 

• zodiac339
    Options
    zodiac339 said:
    Roughly 12,900, I'd estimate. Although you'd seemingly only get that one one of the two CDs, which would remove it, and then the second one would go off normally (for only ~9800, plus ~1270 to Mockingbird). Unless you cast it again(or got it for free?) before the first two expired.

I'm guessing the Opportunity power is the reason for the change to Fastball Special. Since the opponent makes the match-4 on their turn it would be difficult or impossible to allow you to make choices for a power at that time.

The real question is: Can Opportunity trigger Fastball Special :D 

The way I read it, when 1 Bombshell CD reaches zero, it searches for and removes the second Bombshell to do max damage. If there's only 1 and it doesn't find a second to remove, then it deals less damage and hurts her too. I think it will only remove 1 tile, so if you have 4 out, 1 hits zero, removes 1 for damage, then the next available can hit zero and remove the 4th for max damage.
  • zodiac339
    Options
    ...And completely unannounced, the retirement home closes. Well, that ruins character planning.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Tired Riri with one protect tile out, didn't move it. Also tried Mordo purple with 9 enemy ap and it did 2.5k damage. Definitely switching him to 3/5/5, especially for simulator with mostly tile movers without rainbow active powers.
    Also, Mordo is stealing ap. Not that I'm complaining
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone,
    With the Mind Gem Season fast arriving next Thursday on 7/27, we've got some more updates to show you!

There will be no changes to characters entering or leaving packs for the Mind Gem Season, however both Riri Williams (Iron Heart) and Mordo (Master of the Mystic Arts) will be receiving updates.

Update: 
    Vulture will be entering packs, and Blade (Modern) will be exiting them
    @Brigby why was there no announcement that they're changing the heroic odds? Now all the 4* are available and the vaulted 12 are 3x odds. Seems like a pretty big change the community would have liked to know about.

I know ive finally got my roster caught up to where I only need the vaulted 12 covered and now the system is changed again without warning  
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Hi @blargrx. You can view the official announcement here: Vintage Characters Returning to Packs
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi @blargrx. You can view the official announcement here: Vintage Characters Returning to Packs
    Ah I missed your announcement you posted 13 min before I posted. I figured a change like this would have been announced sooner than than right when it went live... you know, maybe in an upcoming season change thread 
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I miss riri's direct nuke. It was very interesting to play before the change and after the change during sub 1.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Character buffs are always welcome.  Good job. Starting to feel to warm and fuzzy about MPQ, quick do something crazy!!
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Straycat said:
    One thing I didn't see anyone mention, Riri can target countdown tiles now. Her blue is not only useful with a basic board, its useful in pve. I think her changes were great. Still have to see how it all plays out...

As much as i hope you are correct, if you reread the description again, nothing says she will now 'target' or 'prioritize' any kind of special, CD or otherwise.
    It now simply states 'basic or special, as if it's completely random which get chosen from the entire board.

Again, i hope you are right, but see my previous post for further thought/confusion/concern.
    Oof, just tried her blue after Patch created 6 enemy tiles, none were moved. So it really is just a move for creating red in the middle. It's not bad at all, just a big difference from what the original idea was.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    smkspy said:
    ...but I'm not even really playing with them once I champ. Champ and move on, champ and move on. That's the new meta.
    This.

I intermittently collect wine (and have been near the industry, in and out, for many years) and it's the same here as there; collecting is about acquisition far more than it is about consumption. (Though, to be more intellectually honest, wine is a commodity susceptible to depletion while a champed character in MPQ isn't.)
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Options
    mexus said:

Well due to the vaulting changes it looks like our pulls are going to be very different than expected now!
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Still think changing riri's red was a mistake. Not knowing whom it'll target seriously messes with strategy of using it.

pre change in the sim, I was running im40, riri, and peggy. Battery both riri and peggy with iron man while targeting one opponent. Throw peggy's blue to stun the other two then nuke the unstunned opponent. Let peggy's countdown tiles explode on one of them and then use riri's green to finish off the third opponent.

Now I don't know whom her red will take out using that strategy.
  • zulux21
    zulux21 Posts: 249 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2017
    Options
    smkspy said:
    Still think changing riri's red was a mistake. Not knowing whom it'll target seriously messes with strategy of using it.

pre change in the sim, I was running im40, riri, and peggy. Battery both riri and peggy with iron man while targeting one opponent. Throw peggy's blue to stun the other two then nuke the unstunned opponent. Let peggy's countdown tiles explode on one of them and then use riri's green to finish off the third opponent.

Now I don't know whom her red will take out using that strategy.
    not knowing whom you will target is merely user error.
    her move always hits all of the people you aren't targeting unless there isn't anyone one else there then it does double damage to the person you are targeting.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Straycat said:
    @Straycat said:
    One thing I didn't see anyone mention, Riri can target countdown tiles now. Her blue is not only useful with a basic board, its useful in pve. I think her changes were great. Still have to see how it all plays out...

As much as i hope you are correct, if you reread the description again, nothing says she will now 'target' or 'prioritize' any kind of special, CD or otherwise.
    It now simply states 'basic or special, as if it's completely random which get chosen from the entire board.

Again, i hope you are right, but see my previous post for further thought/confusion/concern.
    Oof, just tried her blue after Patch created 6 enemy tiles, none were moved. So it really is just a move for creating red in the middle. It's not bad at all, just a big difference from what the original idea was.
    In fairness, the original idea was pretty bad. In the rare cases where you could actually fire it, it still wasn't guaranteed to actually do anything. There was, and still is, a ton of better special-tile removers out there.
  • dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Playing with my champed Mordo....didn't realize his purple also steals AP. Yeah so his purple alone is amazing. Just did 13k unboosted against GSBW in Sim. Very nice