Forum "official" Boss Rush 2 is awesome thread

Options

Comments

• badsaj
    badsaj Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Options

I like the fact that in every round the bosses are in a different order. That means the strategy is a little different each round, which increases the puzzle aspect of it a little more. The 3 side missions for each has so far, for me, been a little too trivial. I'm only on round 6, but there hasn't yet been 1 that was even a little challenging.

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
     I'm in a new alliance for this event, which is making a big difference. I already hit personal progression before the 24 hour mark. In my old alliances, that usually wasn't until the third day. We're working on clearing Round 7; I think the best I'd experienced before was barely clearing Round 6. It does maybe feel a bit easier overall, but I'm certainly not complaining. Only downside is that once we hit full progression, I'll just be twiddling my thumbs, pining for more ISO. A good problem to have, I suppose. 

I do appreciate the puzzle elements of this event. For the fights with Venom and Doc Ock, I've been running Cloak and Dagger, IM40 and GSBW. Her purple and green can clear invisibility and reactor tiles, and the AoE hits an invisible Venom. 

Carnage, Goblin and Sandman is just straight up damage, so I run my Sim team of Medusa, C4rol and Wasp. Bonus is that yellow is my strongest color, so C4rol's AoE activates against Sandman. He's literally matched himself to death at times. 

Haven't lost yet, although before I decided to run my Sim team, Carnage and Sandman had their way with me a few times. I would say they're definitely the hardest. 
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Sandman as an opponent first in the wave is tough since it is hard to stop him from getting yellow and if you can't kill him early, that yellow pain train just keeps coming.  I think the order is really the key to the different sets.  Doc Ock and Vulture first, make the waves easy imo.  Sandman and Carnage first are the toughest.  Green Goblin and Venom first are so-so.  Using IM40/4Thor/Gwenpool, for me, it doesn't really matter who comes second or third in the wave since they are dead before they get to do anything. 
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I enjoyed the event, but it was too easy/short.  My alliance finished in about 18 hours, so now we have a few days with no PVE.  Sure I'll continue to play for side node rewards, but it just feels like the event needed rounds 9 and 10.  Let it scale higher and have a guaranteed 5* for completing round 10.

That said, the puzzle aspect with new interesting bosses was great.  It's fun to have our alliance chatting about the best way to defeat Doc Ock and Venom.

Looking forward to round 2! 
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    badsaj said:

I like the fact that in every round the bosses are in a different order. That means the strategy is a little different each round, which increases the puzzle aspect of it a little more. The 3 side missions for each has so far, for me, been a little too trivial. I'm only on round 6, but there hasn't yet been 1 that was even a little challenging.

They scale oddly, after the first 24 hours they jump up to something closer to "on level" for you, but for the final 24 hours they jump up to the difficult bordering on impossible range.

I'll bet if you check now your nodes that were totally trivial have shot up quite a bit in the last hour and a half...

Its not based on rank or anything you or your alliance does, which is why a lot of alliances try to get optimal hits in during the first day when the side nodes are trivial...

• BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I really enjoyed the event, but we finished everything in the first day (Illuminati Kr).  

I'd love the difficulty to stay the same but for there to be twice as much to the event.  That's a nice thing about Civil War, your alliance had to push together to get (almost) all rewards from both sides of the event.

And as far as that goes, MPQ, you can let full progression on both sides of Civil War give out LTs.  It's not going to break gameplay balance if an alliance wants to do all that work for a second LT.  But I digress.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I really enjoyed the event, but we finished everything in the first day (Illuminati Kr).  

I'd love the difficulty to stay the same but for there to be twice as much to the event.  That's a nice thing about Civil War, your alliance had to push together to get (almost) all rewards from both sides of the event.

And as far as that goes, MPQ, you can let full progression on both sides of Civil War give out LTs.  It's not going to break gameplay balance if an alliance wants to do all that work for a second LT.  But I digress.
    This is the best idea I've heard about the event.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I nearly wiped against Doc Ock the first time around since his tentacles were nearly impossible to match, I couldn't get enough green (I was running Black Bolt.)  I managed to get Quasi Sonic Scream off with like 2 turns to go.

I ran TA Hulk/OML/C&D after that, and he wasn't hard at all.  Like MissChinch above I started using him to gather AP for the last villain, which was usually the Vulture.

C&D were great against Venom (AoE, after all,) TA Hulk against Doc Ock, OML to get some match damage and strikes out.  Worked well.  All in all a fun event, Kudos to the design team.  I wiped once against Carnage (too many cascades,) but that's not unusual in a luck based game.

• BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    GrimSkald said:

I nearly wiped against Doc Ock the first time around since his tentacles were nearly impossible to match, I couldn't get enough green (I was running Black Bolt.)  I managed to get Quasi Sonic Scream off with like 2 turns to go.

I ran TA Hulk/OML/C&D after that, and he wasn't hard at all.  Like MissChinch above I started using him to gather AP for the last villain, which was usually the Vulture.

C&D were great against Venom (AoE, after all,) TA Hulk against Doc Ock, OML to get some match damage and strikes out.  Worked well.  All in all a fun event, Kudos to the design team.  I wiped once against Carnage (too many cascades,) but that's not unusual in a luck based game.

It might have added to the difficulty a bit if the mission description didn't tell you which of the Sinister Six you might face, keep it random and secret.  Then the challenge would be to bring a team that could handle tile removal for Oc, but also deal damage and be able to take hits from the others, but maybe also capitalize on Sandman's yellow, etc.  
    Might have challenged us to add some diversity to our teams.  Instead I ran IM40/4Thor/XFW for rounds without Oc, and Scarlet Witch/GSBW/whoever for rounds with Doc Oc.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Eh, didn't matter their order for me. I used gsbw, IM40, and Cho for every single boss fight. Only thing the order did was give me a hint if I should use boosts to jump start IM40...carnage or sandman being first.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,754 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pants1000 said:
    I enjoyed the event, but it was too easy/short.  My alliance finished in about 18 hours, so now we have a few days with no PVE.  Sure I'll continue to play for side node rewards, but it just feels like the event needed rounds 9 and 10.  Let it scale higher and have a guaranteed 5* for completing round 10.

That said, the puzzle aspect with new interesting bosses was great.  It's fun to have our alliance chatting about the best way to defeat Doc Ock and Venom.

Looking forward to round 2! 
    I just ran winfinite from R1 to R8 and blasted through it, didn't even take more than 1.2k damage until R8 and didn't take much in that either.

Winfinite is perfect for Boss rush, especially with AP resetting. Some of them you actually got more or less free turns to rack up your own AP again because they had to regen theirs. You had large AOE damage with GSBW and you can easily take out Ocks tiles. Venom was my best friend because he puts out more purple for me and I keep matching it away.

I think they did a good job with the bosses but the difficulty needs cranking right up on the bosses or the number of progression points.
  • GrimSkald
    Options
    GrimSkald said:

It might have added to the difficulty a bit if the mission description didn't tell you which of the Sinister Six you might face, keep it random and secret.  Then the challenge would be to bring a team that could handle tile removal for Oc, but also deal damage and be able to take hits from the others, but maybe also capitalize on Sandman's yellow, etc.  
    Might have challenged us to add some diversity to our teams.  Instead I ran IM40/4Thor/XFW for rounds without Oc, and Scarlet Witch/GSBW/whoever for rounds with Doc Oc.

Oh, this was quite literally the first time I faced Doc Ock, so I didn't know what to expect.  If I had lost I would have been annoyed, particularly since I had a clear path to victory (Quasi-Sonic Scream) and couldn't do it in 20 turns, but I wouldn't have rage-quit or anything.  Bad luck happens.

I really liked they gave us what we were going to face in the node description.  That was particularly a nice touch, since the wave nodes don't give us any information about the opponents. 

• Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    GrimSkald said:

I really liked they gave us what we were going to face in the node description.  That was particularly a nice touch, since the wave nodes don't give us any information about the opponents. 

I didn't notice that they told us who the bosses were in the node description until Round 8. I always plow through the description screens to get to the battle as quick as I can.  Guess it wouldn't hurt to stop and smell the roses every now and then, I might learn something.  :#
  • GritsNGravy
    GritsNGravy Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Big ups, this is a great boss battle!  Thanks for the feed nodes not getting too crazy!
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I really hate Boss Rush 1.0, especially the no-play-test part. Although, the devs did test the boss individually, but not in a wave like in that event, which to me is the same with not testing.

But this Boss Rush 2.0 (or what ever you want to call it) is surprisingly fun. The difficulty is just perfect. Upper roster (4* and up) can have fun and middle roster (3*) can have fun. This is something that I really wish will continue to be the trend of Boss Event. I was very negative about the event earlier, what devs, you have proof me wrong and I'm happy about it.

The last bit that I hope can be improved is the side node scaling. Why do they still scale per refresh ? Why don't scale them per round ?

@Devs Thanks again for this amazing event.

• RedLion
    RedLion Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    Great event in terms of difficulty and creativity. I wouldn't want to see changes to either. 

I would like to see an event like Growth Industry or the Guardians event run daily at the same time. My motivation to play tanks after individual and alliance progressions are hit. (In this case it took less than 24 hours.) Right now, ISO is the name of the game, and having another source of it for the next couple of days would be nice.

Alternatively, give us more reasons to play by both (a) not scaling the difficulty of the side nodes in such a preposterously lopsided fashion and (b) extending progression awards out further.
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    So it finally took until Round 8 before I finally failed to clear a boss attempt. Starting with Carnage is plain hard. But, it is Round 8. Hopefully my alliance can get this finished off before we hit the final scale up of the essential side nodes. Not sure how much more I'm gonna want to play after that happens.
  • GrimSkald
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    So it finally took until Round 8 before I finally failed to clear a boss attempt. Starting with Carnage is plain hard. But, it is Round 8. Hopefully my alliance can get this finished off before we hit the final scale up of the essential side nodes. Not sure how much more I'm gonna want to play after that happens.
    I don't think it's that Carnage is hard, it's that Carnage has a powers that do a lot of random stuff to the board, so that when it goes south, it goes really south.  Particularly with his ability to make more matches based on how much black he has - bad luck will escalate very quickly.
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    GrimSkald said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    I don't think it's that Carnage is hard, it's that Carnage has a powers that do a lot of random stuff to the board, so that when it goes south, it goes really south.  Particularly with his ability to make more matches based on how much black he has - bad luck will escalate very quickly.
    Yes, this is true. I absolutely could not get any of my key AP collected to hit him hard, and he got out of control real fast. He was a piece of cake slotted after Green Goblin when I was using C4rol, Medusa and Wasp, and I had multiple buffed strike and attack tiles out.

But that team would struggle against Doc Ock and Venom, so I was using Cloak and Dagger, IM40 and GSBW. I needed one or two lousy purple matches to switch Clagger so they could spam yellow. When that finally happened, I still couldn't make yellow matches to save my life (literally). Carnage kept taking chunks of about 5500 health out of my characters. He took down Clagger and I finished him off, but Doc Ock downed Widow, and I was really screwed without my board manipulator.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Substitute Gwenpool for GSBW, and that was almost exactly my experience. I wiped on Carnage's wave twice. My alliance wasn't looking likely to finish round 8, and it's looking less likely all the time.

Still loved the event, though, and if we'd had more than 17 people participating, we might have made it before the side node scaling locked our 2* and 3* people out. That's on us, not the event.