Forum "official" Boss Rush 2 is awesome thread

Options
Beer40
Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
I created the Boss Rush 2 is broken thread before the event started. Why? I have a feel for these things. Anyway, I was right. 

BUT, I said if the event turned out awesome and I was wrong, I'd readily admit it.

Well, my opinion in the middle of round 7 is that it's awesome! The hiccups at the beginning were ridiculous and unnecessary...but low side mission scaling + challenging boss waves? Yes. Success. 

My opinion only, and I haven't seen rd 8 scaling yet (so I may be back with a different opinion) but kudos to the MPQ team for putting together a fun event. 

The only suggestion I have is this: Marvel clearly wants to promote Spider Man... so give Spider Man covers for top progression and top alliance progression. Don't be stingy! It's Spider Man, the most popular super hero ever. You don't break the game by giving a few covers (1 in each color) out and you'll generate the buzz Marvel wants + allowing potential paying and already paying customers a good look into 5* land.

Thanks for the fun event!

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've only made it to Round 5 so far, but I'm really enjoying it. As has been said elsewhere, I feel like it's really putting the "puzzle" in Puzzle Quest.
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Sandman is going to be the death of me as well. He's causing me too much damage compared to all others. But otherwise, great event though. I just wish everyone in my alliance would join in.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Very fun event.  Enjoying it immensely. 

Definitely an interesting puzzler.  Each round I've used a slightly different team and day 1 scaling allowed me to hit personal progression.  Looking forward to tomorrow.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I find it fun once you get use to these old characters having new powers, thankfully you get the order of their fight each time to best prepare. But yeah, carnage or sandman are beasts depending on their timing during a round.

Very much enjoying the event especially making personal progression in one day.

But will also echo the OP'S concerns about the new spidey being a 5 star. I got one great, but I want some real access to him in a way that doesn't involve chance. It's time devs for you to take that leap and make 5s more accessible for higher up rosters. Is it going to take 30 5 stars before they let the purse strings go?

Or Should made a new 3 star variant to go with him. 
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Carnage for me was also the hardest. The rest were fine. OML. Cho and HB for me. Save up as many reds as you can for HB. OML tanks. ride out carnage by matching and cho's ticking tile. save up greens. use the greens to take out dr ocks nuke then he is stunned. match him away, then when venom pops up punch him in the boat race with 30 red ap.
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I am lucky enough to have a level 270 quake which neutralizes sandman completely 

I suspect that they might make this event harder to get the points next time as I've almost got all the points to get the final token and it's only day 1 

Normally it takes me to day 3 to get it completed so I'm very happy
  • smkspy
    edited July 2017
    Options
    We were due an easy version of boss rush as rerun after the disaster that was 1.0 so I don't believe numbers were a mistake. If numbers had been highers and we had to slog through 3 days of usually.scaling increases in this format this forum would explode.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,274 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Beer40 said:
    Don't be stingy! It's Spider Man, the most popular super hero ever. You don't break the game by giving a few covers (1 in each color) out and you'll generate the buzz Marvel wants + allowing potential paying and already paying customers a good look into 5* land.
    Asking them to not be stingy is like asking the sun to stop being hot :D
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    sh81 said:
    dstann said:
    I didn't find Sandman that bad, but Carnage was a pita, so many extra turns, a board shuffle that takes forever and an aoe.
    The one boss round I lost was Carnage up first, who just wiped me out.

Won all the others, but if you get off to a rocky start it goes downhill fast!
    Same here. Round 8 Carnage has been the only one to stop me.  Sandman was a bit of a pain when all my attacks were cut in half, but I had saved enough AP by then to hit him hard.

I'm tapped out until the Mission reset in 2 hours. I hit max progression this morning, and my alliance only has 2.6M to go in Round 8. I expect us to be done in the next 6-8 hours, so under 30 total. That's the fastest I've hit progression on a Boss event, and the fastest my alliance has cleared all 8 rounds.

Its a fun event, but I expect the point values to be lowered, or the reward cost to be higher next time to make it last longer.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As much as I hated the first Boss Rush, I actually felt like they maybe overcompensated a little on this one and made it a bit too easy. With Cho, IM40 and 4Thor boosted, I've blown through it even on Round 8 losing barely any health. Especially hilarious is that Ock's entire gimmick can be bypassed by using Cho to punch out his Reactor tile.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    As much as I hated the first Boss Rush, I actually felt like they maybe overcompensated a little on this one and made it a bit too easy. With Cho, IM40 and 4Thor boosted, I've blown through it even on Round 8 losing barely any health. Especially hilarious is that Ock's entire gimmick can be bypassed by using Cho to punch out his Reactor tile.
    I am enjoying the event so far, but I'm not going to comment on the difficulty until I hit the later rounds, since, like most of the other events, the first few rounds seemed like cruise control and the later ones were manageable by me but a complete wall for other players in my alliance with mostly partially-championed 3* rosters.
  • krak0
    krak0 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This is by far the best boss event they have done. The  bosses are not ridiculous overpowered beasts. It also lets you know what waves of bosses are coming so you can build your team properly. Next time just a bit more iso as rewards would be nice.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It was a bit too easy and short, but they'll fix that in the second run. In the mean time love that even small rosters will be able to easily finish this event (depending on side node murder scaling which starts next refresh normally). So the only detractor is having 3 days with no PVE putting a big dent in income. Can you whip us up a nice Gauntlet while we wait? That's another play at own pace event that shouldn't interfere with regularly scheduled events. Just throw it in there on the quick.
  • smkspy
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Should we really be complaining that something is too easy...talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options

Fun event, but I think it might have missed the mark just slightly on the puzzle aspect, even though it seem to clearly be trying to make that a bigger part, a direction I'm a big fan of:

Left side first: My preferred team = IMHB, Gwenpool, anyone 

Carnage - seemed most like a straight fight with a boss level opponent, starting with him and having no AP ensured that any team I put out was going to have to soak some damage, his powers were too cheap for denial to work so I just had to gut through it...   Boosted IMHB basically took him out single handedly

Doc Ock - Most interesting to me based on his powers, but in practice he was super trivial, to the point where he was just a pit stop for AP before going onto the next boss.  Targeted tile destruction completely circumvented the nifty tentacles -> reactor -> boss damage path, and you could have him build more reactors if you avoided killing him in his stunned phase if your team didn't have enough AP to move on.  Gwenpool single handedly steamrolled him with 5 purple.

Venom - Seemed more "puzzley" than carnage, but the fight was completely trivialized by having doc ock in front of him.  Just enter into the fight with 20 green AP and Gwenpool takes him down, invis or not.

Right side: My preferred team = 4* Danvers, 4* Blade, 4* SL

Vulture - He didn't seem that gimmicky (could be good or bad) I never got to see him go airborne.  Since his fight was first it was an exercise in denying him AP while I got my teams damage rolling.  Would liked to have seen some mechanic that put him in the air more, and maybe even somehow harassing my team while he was airborne and untouchable?

GG - He felt like a standard boss, had the potential to get rolling by pairing him with goons with cheap powers, I think I was lucky to have enough damage built up in strike tiles and AP stored for SL's pink power to overwrite countdowns that this wasn't as difficult as it could have been.

Sandman - The match 5 yellow aspect seemed interesting, but didn't seem to be worth really playing for.  Having him last allowed for big strike tiles to be built up that overwhelmed his damage reduction and basically trivialized his most interesting trait.

I'd change the left side around by putting venom first and doc ock last.  Whoever follows doc ock gets killed in the first round, and venom seemed like a tough "puzzley" opponent  when you have no AP stockpile to rely on, going right into carnage would be rough (but exciting?)  I'd change doc ock so that targeted tile destruction only destroys the reactor if the tentacles are down.

I'd change the right side around by somehow changing vulture's mechanics to get him more interesting and in the air often, his "special power" seemed to be staring at my team while taking it right in the face most games... It would be nice if sandman was tweaked so that his damage reduction was more extreme, but the matching of 5 yellow broke it for the rest of the fight.

To be clear I liked the event, I don't want it harder per say, I just suggested some things that might make the work they did in coming up with interesting bosses more prominent... the ideas could very well be dumb, they were just what struck me while playing the event.

• Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This does make me wonder why the rewards aren't totally Spiderman themed. It's not like they couldn't do it and have it to where any player at any stage of the game could get some Spiderman at any star level. Then they could do the rerun of the event with all Spiderman villians. I'm certain this idea was considered and killed; if not with this event then as a president decision for past events.

Purely for game design and balance curiosity I'd love if we could get some dev insight why they would decide not to do all Spider-man rewards.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Rykard said:
    This does make me wonder why the rewards aren't totally Spiderman themed. It's not like they couldn't do it and have it to where any player at any stage of the game could get some Spiderman at any star level. Then they could do the rerun of the event with all Spiderman villians. I'm certain this idea was considered and killed; if not with this event then as a president decision for past events.

Purely for game design and balance curiosity I'd love if we could get some dev insight why they would decide not to do all Spider-man rewards.

I'm still pining away for the time we got straight up 5* covers as the max reward with CW, not pulls from their vault.

• Brendover
    Brendover Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Dr. Strange works well against Carnage for me.