Point Suppression in S4 Doc Oc PVP?

Comments

• ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    grunth13 said:
    ZootSax said:
    So glad you asked.  The uberwhale account that was mentioned in the cheating thread that is being "lent" to someone else is using it to hit everything that moves and dump points making the game worse for everyone in the slice.
    I was wondering about that.  I had a 24pt defensive win when that account attacked me in this past event and I was wondering what kind of nonsense was going on higher up the food chain in my slice to allow that to happen.

...although i was still left with the question of how that account could even target my roster under the current MMR as I was hovering around only 275 pts a full 24 hrs into the event and my highest character after boosts were taken into account was only ~Lv285 +/-.  I guess I fundamentally don't understand how this MMR works...

The other account was probably at 1000 points or so and found you as a 1 point match.  S/he then started a match and retreated so that s/he could lose 75 points, but that gives you 25 points.  So appreciate the gift points.
    Yeah, I knew that they deliberately threw the match against me to drop points, but I hadn't realized how far down the progression ladder a roster could look once their MMR "opened up".  Now I know.  Thanks for the response.

Regardless, I'll just appreciate the ~4% boost to me goal of 575 each event, especially one I was using a loaner in :)
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Daiches said:
    mpqr7 said:
    @Daiches I guess I've been lucky then at missing the problems before. At this point, I figure I put in the same effort each time, and sometimes it leads me to 1200+, other times barely 700. There's nothing I can really do about it.

I'm impressed that a single person or small group of people can take down a whole slice.
    It's much easier to suppress than it is to build points. Much much easier. The system is set up that way. Hell, without frontrunners, battlechats, and lots of people willing to shield a LOT, every event would look like a really bad BOP off season event, where 1200 is a pipe dream.
    I don't think this is the case, is it?  Isn't there some in-fighting in S4 too?  Typically you need almost an entire alliance or two to show up and actually be actively suppressing through the entire event to really have that big of an impact.

Due to how the scoring works on defensive losses it's much easier to add points to the shard than to remove them, and so even with 40 guys suppressing, 200 guys trying to inflate will still typically be able to at least hit max progression.
  • Rhycar
    Rhycar Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    Daiches said:
    mpqr7 said:
    @Daiches I guess I've been lucky then at missing the problems before. At this point, I figure I put in the same effort each time, and sometimes it leads me to 1200+, other times barely 700. There's nothing I can really do about it.

I'm impressed that a single person or small group of people can take down a whole slice.
    It's much easier to suppress than it is to build points. Much much easier. The system is set up that way. Hell, without frontrunners, battlechats, and lots of people willing to shield a LOT, every event would look like a really bad BOP off season event, where 1200 is a pipe dream.
    I don't think this is the case, is it?  Isn't there some in-fighting in S4 too?  Typically you need almost an entire alliance or two to show up and actually be actively suppressing through the entire event to really have that big of an impact.

Due to how the scoring works on defensive losses it's much easier to add points to the shard than to remove them, and so even with 40 guys suppressing, 200 guys trying to inflate will still typically be able to at least hit max progression.
    A motivated player using a borrowed 550 account AND boosting can easily shred everything, whether the shard coordinates or not. You're talking less than 8 moves to end most matches. It goes fast.
  • Maceo511
    Maceo511 Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Daiches said:
    mpqr7 said:

I don't know that you need an entire alliace
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Help, help, we're being suppressed! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! 
    Some watery tart distributing swords is no basis for a form of government.
  • San Narciso
    San Narciso Posts: 124 Tile Toppler

I love point suppression! Unnatural, overly expensive scores are silly. People seem to be going for some grand prize and spend hundreds a season just boost their score. Have you looked at the rewards? Just buy couple 10-packs save yourself $300/month! 

Funny thing is a bunch of people commenting on this thread are or were on one of the s4 teams "at war". And out of those, a handful have retired but still go crazy chasing points. Nothing is what it seems. Just go with the flow! Enjoy the game. Evolve or go extinct. Or retire again. 

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards

I love point suppression! Unnatural, overly expensive scores are silly. People seem to be going for some grand prize and spend hundreds a season just boost their score. Have you looked at the rewards? Just buy couple 10-packs save yourself $300/month! 

Funny thing is a bunch of people commenting on this thread are or were on one of the s4 teams "at war". And out of those, a handful have retired but still go crazy chasing points. Nothing is what it seems. Just go with the flow! Enjoy the game. Evolve or go extinct. Or retire again. 

The war is over exaggerated. 
    As for how people like to play, last time we had a thread on this it got to 58 pages and devolved in a mud fight. So let's not go there again. Some play styles makes progression easier for everyone, some playstyles make ISO farming easier for one self. To each their own.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Daiches said:

As for how people like to play, last time we had a thread on this it got to 58 pages and devolved in a mud fight. So let's not go there again. Some play styles makes progression easier for everyone, some playstyles make ISO farming easier for one self. To each their own.
    You can come right on down off your high horse buddy.  There is nothing easy about having to hop 17 times for a T5 placement.  Keeping scores low makes it way easier for me and my alliance to finish T5 without spending a fortune on shields.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches said:

You can come right on down off your high horse buddy.  There is nothing easy about having to hop 17 times for a T5 placement.  Keeping scores low makes it way easier for me and my alliance to finish T5 without spending a fortune on shields.
    Hence why I said progression.. not placement.
    Best rewards are in progression anyway.

If you want placement, there's two ways to get it (score more by hopping more, or score more by pushing everyone below you). If you want progression, there's only on, albeit actively or passively (building points in a shard/allowing it to happen and profit later).
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    Word on the street is some wiseguy challenged this nameless, faceless player before the season, and went on and on about rank, taunting him to come to s4.  I'd say deal with that guy first rather than complaining about said results on the forums so that the other player gets a spanking, or something.  I am personally and deeply offended that nobody responded to my other question.  Why do you take my points?  I have feelings, too!  Red nodes make me cry, and then I've gotta explain to my friends and family that people in s4 are bullies.  Red nodes are no laughing matter.  This is serious business. That is all.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had no idea any of this was going on.  Is there really a war in s4?  I can't tell because every time I go there people try to suppress my own personal points for some odd reason.  I guess thats different though.  I dont know.  Can someone explain it to me?
    Hey man, at least one of us still likes you.

#notcreepy
    #okalittlebitcreepy
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    I bet the poor 3* & 4* transitioners heads are spinning reading all this.  They are still trying to hit 575+ with no idea how PvP really is played.
  • Fightmastermpq
    edited June 2017
    Daiches said:
    Daiches said:

Hence why I said progression.. not placement.
    Best rewards are in progression anyway.

If you want placement, there's two ways to get it (score more by hopping more, or score more by pushing everyone below you). If you want progression, there's only on, albeit actively or passively (building points in a shard/allowing it to happen and profit later).
    I know, I said placement...not progression.  I thought there was no right way to play?  Or is your way the only right way to play?

Tryhards like yourself make it very difficult, very expensive, and very time consuming for outsiders to get placement.

Suppressors like myself make it very difficult, very expensive, and very time consuming for outsiders to get progression.

We are two sides of the same coin, friend.
  • Jsh2014
    Jsh2014 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    I bet the poor 3* & 4* t8ransitioners heads are spinning reading all this.  They are still trying to hit 575+ with no idea how PvP really is played.
    This is the only post in this whole thread that makes sense to me
    You whales and neo snipers are killing the game I do try to enjoy. I dropped down to get away from heavy hitters like you guys I'm not gonna sit on this game for 8 to 12 hrs to try to compete. I'm down in 4 for pop and you know what I find players with 360 5*s  hi leveled champed 4*s and a few week  rosters that get obliterated. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A FUN GAME .
  • Jsh2014
    Jsh2014 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    @Jaedenkaal not pointing u out was trying to agree with what you and acescracked said but I keep having problems posting my full comment 
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    tinykitty suppressors like myself make it very difficult, very expensive, and very time consuming for outsiders to get progression.
    why are you suppressing me? what did I ever do to you?  :'(