Finally made it to 5* land...and it's horrible.

Options

Comments

• granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    While I've recycled Torch more than any of my other 2*s. Random is random. The word for your example is anecdotal.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    FokaiHI said:
    I am kind of shocked with how much you participate in the forums that this would have caught you off guard. Did you just decide "I'm going 5*"? I am grateful with your post though. It reminds me why I remain in the 4* tier. There is no rush. 
    Like I said in the post, I figured reports must be exaggerated. Back when 4*s were top of the heap, people swore you couldn't hit 1300 without LINE, but I managed to do it on a pretty regular basis. I figured it would be basically the same - tough, but not as bad as everyone says. I was incorrect.
  • Jsh2014
    Jsh2014 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Options
    With all the 5* horror stories I'll keep pouring my ISO into the 4*s I'll still collect the 5s but until they make some major fixes and maybe they will remember what they said about not nerfing 5* like they did to OML 
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Options
    What makes 4* fun for me is diversity.  Having 20 champs means I'm working with a variety of skills and boosted lists and can play matchups and see a ton of different game experiences.  

What I am not looking forward to at 5* (still not close) is losing that diversity of weapons and gameplay both offense and defense.   Especially early in tier. 
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I just got a 13 cover BP and leveled him to 360 as well as an 11 cover Thanos. I understand what you were thinking. I just figured it I would remain in the 4* tier because Thanos costs so much HP.  No lie though, being soft capped has certainly has its good and bad. I can leave a defensive pvp team on the board, but I seem to get crushed by some heavy hitters. I felt like I would level up, but then you made this post. Thanks. 
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm getting really close to making the move up to 5* tier.  I've got four 5*s cover-maxed. (Strange, Thanos, Phoenix, Black Panther.)  I've been prioritizing 4* champs for my iso spending, but I'm basically caught up there - only R&G and Gamora left to champion.  It takes me about a week to raise the iso to champ a 4*, so with the release schedule being what it is I'll be able to put half the iso I earn into champing new 4*s as I cover them and the other half into 5*s.

The change to CL-based scaling in PvE is definitely making me feel more comfortable with going ahead on this transition.  PvP could still be a struggle, but currently I get the 900 pts and usually top 25, occasionally top 10.  So if I even just stay in that range, I'll be fine with it.  We'll see how it goes.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm slowly reaching an end in 4* champing. Or at least, I'm reaching a sustainable area.

I have four 4*s not at 13 covers. Iron Fist (keep getting blues, dammit), Gamora, Rocket and Moon Knight (keep getting blacks, dammit). Howard doesn't really count for me...if I get to 13 with him, I'll deal with that as it happens.

Every other 4* is either champed or at 13 covers waiting for dat ISO. Once I've got my 2*s back up and running I can start opening legendaries until I get a spare for a 4*, then I champ 'em in about 7-10 days.

Once the current run is complete, I can work on a few of the older ones just for funsies. After that...I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. But hey, at least my 4*s will gain a bunch of covers and stuff.

No idea what to do with my 5*s.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Pongie said:
    First time I've heard hawkeye is top tier. I agree with bolt, thanos and panther but surely strange and Phoenix are better. Maybe I shouldn't feel so about my hawkeye as my lone 5* champion then 
    5-Hawk/Coulson is the fresh new hotness.  It's incredibly frustrating to fight against.
    Strange makes mincemeat out of Hawkeye.
    Yes please, fire those arrows, multiples per round, please.
    I was curious whether the AI  would fire multiple blue/red. Wasn't it coded in  way that each ability is only cast once per turn?
  • Jarvind
    Options
    Pongie said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Pongie said:
    First time I've heard hawkeye is top tier. I agree with bolt, thanos and panther but surely strange and Phoenix are better. Maybe I shouldn't feel so about my hawkeye as my lone 5* champion then 
    5-Hawk/Coulson is the fresh new hotness.  It's incredibly frustrating to fight against.
    Strange makes mincemeat out of Hawkeye.
    Yes please, fire those arrows, multiples per round, please.
    I was curious whether the AI  would fire multiple blue/red. Wasn't it coded in  way that each ability is only cast once per turn?
    He can only fire blue and red once per turn each. Still, together with Coulson they generate so much AP that he's firing at least one nearly every turn, so Strange would eat him alive pretty quickly.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The main issue seems to be people jumping from 2 champed 4 stars to 2 champed 5 stars with nothing in between. The play style and opponents are very different and you are not eased into it because of the way people have chosen to transistion
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2017
    Options
    spectator said:
    The main issue seems to be people jumping from 2 champed 4 stars to 2 champed 5 stars with nothing in between.
    No, they really aren't.
  • Rhycar
    Rhycar Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2017
    Options
    As a 5* player, I can sympathize with your plight. If there's one way I can see that would be a positive for making the 5* jump in this phase of MPQ's life, it would be to hoard LT/CP until you have hundreds of pulls available, wait until the latest three 5* don't suck (hint: not right now) and make sure you have the 1.5 million or so ISO to immediate level them all. And I do recommend Line for any 5* player. The community, learned strategies and friendships are worth it. If you're already on the forums, you clearly care about the game enough to discuss it and generate ideas on gameplay. An active alliance that uses Line just accelerates that. Best of luck to you.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Phumade said:
    The game morphs and changes at the 5* tier.  its less about your team and roster and much more about your understanding on how the other 5* players in your shard will react to whatever move you make.

That sounds absolutely terrible. I installed MPQ because I wanted some match-3 goofiness combined with some superhero collecting, not time and opportunity-based chess matches. I guess all my 5* (and I think I've finally gotten at least 1 cover of all of them) will just stay at 255 forever.
    I will probably end up leveling/champing 5 stars because it's kind of not in me not to do it as part of progression. But reading through this has really convinced me that I might stay in the PVE end of the pool and in lots of ways that's fine. I don't have to be a PVP player even if it was an initial draw. The game at the PVE end takes up enough time and effort as it is.

Particularly since every time I've played PVP where I've opened it far enough in advance to make significant inroads up the progression rewards ladder, I get to a point somewhere around 600 or 700 where I play a match and come out to discover I've been stomped 3x and have lost more points than I gained - completely pushing me down the possibility of decent placement rewards. And that's even when I was going after the bigger dogs, not picking on the little guys who I could reasonably expect to get lots of points off beating me in retaliation. I was hoping that 5* land would change that, but from this thread.... clearly not without what you're describing. So I think I'll leave it to those who enjoy that and have the time and energy for it.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Rhycar said:
    As a 5* player, I can sympathize with your plight. If there's one way I can see that would be a positive for making the 5* jump in this phase of MPQ's life, it would be to hoard LT/CP until you have hundreds of pulls available, wait until the latest three 5* don't suck (hint: not right now) and make sure you have the 1.5 million or so ISO to immediate level them all. And I do recommend Line for any 5* player. The community, learned strategies and friendships are worth it. If you're already on the forums, you clearly care about the game enough to discuss it and generate ideas on gameplay. An active alliance that uses Line just accelerates that. Best of luck to you.
    fwiw, I'm here on the forums to figure out general how to use my characters best, talk about a game I like, and stuff like that. I'm relatively newer to the forum, but I only have so much of my life for this game to take up - posting here is pretty casual. So for me, it's a rather *large* jump from posting on the forum to the kind of investment you're talking about with using line and pre-planning matches for PVP, and 5-star land, etc. Which is pretty much to say, I agree with the poster directly above me, and being here in the forum is in no way an indicator of ever wanting more than... general info and community light.
    5* play is just different, and much like transitioning to any other tier for the first time it kinda sucks.  You get locked in to the same 2 characters for every fight without much variety.  I will say that champing and vaulting is REALLY starting to help with this.  I often run the first half of events with a couple boosted 4s if they are good enough to take down 5s - it's fun, adds variety, and keeps me mostly hidden from other 5* rosters.

All the complaints from 4* players getting beat on by 5* players you now see as a joke.  Because you can't even queue a 4* player until you are so high that hitting them is usually not worth points.  So the initial climb is rough because you are always fighting 5*s and the match damage is so high that you do go through a lot more health packs compared to 4* play.  When playing against 4*s you can deny any abilities from firing and get through matches with hardly any health lost......not the case at the 5* tier.  So it does use more health packs if you want to climb with the same 2 players for an entire event.

But once you get high enough to queue the seals you can float or farm ISO for days without really needing to shield.  And when you do hop you rarely come out of a fight to a -200, usually not more than a single hit even if hitting 3+ targets.  So it's much easier to climb to 1200 and beyond if you are willing to spend the HP.

Line helps a ton.  The number of other 5* players is very very small in comparison, and so getting on Line and finding them will help.  It's by no means a requirement, and you don't have to use it any more than you are willing to be successful, but at the very least it might help you to avoid hits as lots of people will check you before hitting.  If you want to take it to the extreme and join a 200 person BC you can do that, but not everyone has that kind of time - just joining a truce room can be helpful to start.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I cannot say I have any championed 5 yes but I did finally hit a jump in pvp.  I am sitting on a 420 SS, a 405 OML and a 345 Thanos and upon reaching level with SS PVP jumped into a whole new level.  Fortunately I have a fairly solid 4 roster beneath me but once I get to around 600 I am done.  I cannot compete with what I am running into with a boosted 4 and two lower tier 5's.  I do not mind so much I mostly live in pve land but before leveling surfer I could easily make a run to 900 if I wanted to now it would be a waste of health packs.  I have heard people constantly hitting his wall but never run into it myself until now.  I leveled all my 3's before doing any 4's which made a big difference but it is easier to get ahead of your self in the 4 to 5 transition.  Lets put it this way the only 5 that will get any more iso will be surfer if I can get his last 2 blues and that is it, iso into 4's only from this point forward. :)
  • Jarvind
    Options
    OJSP said:

OP, which slice were you playing in? Perhaps it's a dry slice.

Nah, I had the same thought. I used to play in 2 which I know is a weird one, so I tried 1 and 4 as well - not quite as bad but still pretty brutal once I get above 600 or so. I assume part of the issue is that I'm not using the cookie-cutter Thanos/Panther team that everyone else is using - I know I immediately hit anyone not using that team, both for variety and because I don't get slapped back every time Thanos's passive stuns Panther.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    OJSP said:

OP, which slice were you playing in? Perhaps it's a dry slice.

Nah, I had the same thought. I used to play in 2 which I know is a weird one, so I tried 1 and 4 as well - not quite as bad but still pretty brutal once I get above 600 or so. I assume part of the issue is that I'm not using the cookie-cutter Thanos/Panther team that everyone else is using - I know I immediately hit anyone not using that team, both for variety and because I don't get slapped back every time Thanos's passive stuns Panther.
    Yeah you'll not have a fun time playing solo in s1 with a small 5* roster.
    S4 has been suffering point suppression lately.

Just go s3, you can probably score 6k or something there with barely champed 5s.