When was the last time you won a mythic?

Options
13»

Comments

• Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    shteev said:
    Dammit, I tried not to interact with you personally @OhBoy, cos I knew it would upset @andrewvanmarle, but it seems we get our wires crossed if I don't spell everything out plainly.

Caeman said:
    Tell me again how the drop rates have improved.
    Ohboy said:
    Literally no one of authority has said that. 
    Cthulhu said:
    Third the card packs we have done some balance tweaking to .... give the player a higher chance at obtaining rare cards.
    For shteev, and anyone else who missed it, forgot, or finds an art form in building house-of-cards arguments:
    • In the self-same thread as Cthulhu's statement, it was worked out that just by replacing Big Boxes (600 crystals for 14 packs + 1 rare) with Premium Packs (300 crystals for 5 packs + 1 rare), as they did, players would get a "higher chance at obtaining rare cards" per crystal spent (but a lower chance to get mythic, uncommon, and common cards).
    • Later, this interpretation was confirmed using data from thousands of opened packs.  Per-card drop rates didn't change in any measurable way (see https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/64739/2-10-drop-rate-stats).
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options

I don't think we have an issue with drop rates right now.

The issue is duplicates and we have yet to see if they can be converted into something meaningful.

Always keep in mind that D3H will throttle the acquisition of cards, as they don't want to allow the ability to drop 1000 dollars and acquire all key cards from a set on day one.  That hurts the game in so many ways.

• Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I cracked bontu 2 days ago. Got 2 copies of cascading cataracts last week and got the red God 2 days after launch. I haven't bought much akh. Maybe 3 pp. I've super hot with rares this set, but I'm also pulling more dupes than ever. I'm now hoarding until crafting because I think I'll scream if I pull another Drake haven 
  • wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Volrak said:

I was referring to the perceived reduction in drop rates post-SOI/EMN, as well as the gradual correction of casting cost vs. effectiveness, and the bonkers cards from earlier sets.

I sincerely believe they altered the drop rates to slow down player acquisition of mythics, though the spreadsheet gurus can correct this assumption if the data contradicts me.
    Because mythic drops are so rare and the number of players is so large, you can count on some significant group of people experiencing both being "on a roll" just before a release, and being in a mythic drought just after a release.  If you're one of those people, it's a completely natural human reaction to feel like something in the system has changed.

But the truth of that can be tested with data collected from many people's experiences.  In this case, drop rates were looked at for both pre-2.10 and post-2.10 data (see https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/64739/2-10-drop-rate-stats).  No measurable change to true drop rates was detected.
    Thanks, Volrak. Math trumps superstition.

I guess I'm just a grump and wish that D3 would loosen the purse strings with their mythics. They make some cool cards. It's just a shame that most of us will never get to play them.
  • Formulator
    Formulator Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Steeme said:
    Always keep in mind that D3H will throttle the acquisition of cards, as they don't want to allow the ability to drop 1000 dollars and acquire all key cards from a set on day one.  That hurts the game in so many ways.
    I'd actually be fine with that if they would implement a decent match making system instead of the goofy color mastery one.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Volrak said:
    For shteev, and anyone else who missed it, forgot, or finds an art form in building house-of-cards arguments:
    • In the self-same thread as Cthulhu's statement, it was worked out that just by replacing Big Boxes (600 crystals for 14 packs + 1 rare) with Premium Packs (300 crystals for 5 packs + 1 rare), as they did, players would get a "higher chance at obtaining rare cards" per crystal spent (but a lower chance to get mythic, uncommon, and common cards).
    • Later, this interpretation was confirmed using data from thousands of opened packs.  Per-card drop rates didn't change in any measurable way (see https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/64739/2-10-drop-rate-stats).

Although this is "technically" true, this is classic D3 poor doublespeak and poor communication. Not only are our odds of getting "rare or better" from packs reduced  , but your chances of getting mythics as your guaranteed card was removed.

Here was Cthulhu's full quote "Third the card packs we have done some balance tweaking to help reduce the amount of duplicates and give the player a higher chance at obtaining rare cards."

And "reduce the amount of duplicates" means you get less total cards so, thus you get more duplicates.  Your probability of getting a duplicate per card opened is actually higher, as the "rare or better" feature was removed giving you a much higher chance of getting a duplicate rare.

We can parse their words out for the rest of time, but the point is this.  They intentionally tried to put a positive spin to a drop rate package that is clearly worse for the community.

A brand new players who logged in for the first time and bought 600 crystals to get started had a probability of getting 4.5 rare or better cards from a big box.  He now has a probability of getting 4 rare or better cards from 2 premium packs.  This customer is not better of in any way shape or form. Nor is the rest of the community.

• mournfen
    mournfen Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Options
    I finally won Harness the Storm today......I mean won because I chased this card forever so today in MTGPQ I feel like a winner!
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    babar3355 said:
    A brand new players who logged in for the first time and bought 600 crystals to get started had a probability of getting 4.5 rare or better cards from a big box.  He now has a probability of getting 4 rare or better cards from 2 premium packs.  This customer is not better of in any way shape or form. Nor is the rest of the community.
    You can expect to get 4 rares per 600 crystals now on PPs, as you say, but it's actually up from 3.8 from the old BBs.  An increase, like the man said.

But taken together with the reduction in mythic, uncommon, and common drops per crystal, it certainly left players getting cards at a slower rate overall.  In any case, it's academic; I don't think we're going back.

On the bright side, the total event rewards for ToS is possibly the largest ever, and this shows some sign of listening to the players.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Volrak, champion against agendas pushed using bad math. 

• Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Umm. My teammates want to do bad things to me.

Today I opened a premium pack, having just earned the crystals from events. First card - Dark Ritual. My 5th AKH masterpiece. Like the card suggests, I have the dark one's luck. Maybe my parents should have named me Mat...
  • BUgsySA
    BUgsySA Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    Got Neheb from the monthly reward pack yesterday, and just got a world breaker from the free booster. 
  • Damien
    Damien Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Got Anointed Procession today. Only one since first week of AKH. Problem is it's a dupe. Only have 2 AKH mythics. 
  • Grenade110
    Grenade110 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Earlier this week I bought the pack for 400 Jewels and got Samut... very nice card... then a few hours later the free pack was available and it too contained Samut, Smite the Monstrous and some random common that I've gotten a bazillion times (I think it was Nissa's Pilgrimage). I was seriously ticked on that move.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I pull one about every other week. Generally dupes though. 
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I pulled two non-dupe mythics out of boosters today (Neheb + Throne) plus one from an elite pack. 
    I think my RNG is now used for the next couple of weeks

• Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I've been doing ok. I've Pulled a total of 11 mythics since amonkhet was released only 1 dupe. none from older sets.

8 Amonkhet mythics from normal and premium packs and 2 AMK  from elite packs then a chain lighting from an premium pack but since that 2 weeks ago I've had nothing I've got 2 premium packs that have had no rares or mythic except the guaranteed rare which were dupes, almost like they upped the drop rate a bit and have been gradually lowering it.