The problem, to me, isn't actually vaulting

Comments

• Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Wonko33 said:
    Personally vaulting was a disaster- How many Colston purple must I trash while all my championed vaulted characters just sit there ? 
    None?  Stop pulling/start hoarding if waste is a huge issue.
    sure let me hoard for a year until there is a new rotation of 12 - that's a lot of fun. Will my championed vaulted guys be back by then ?
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Wonko33 said:
    Wonko33 said:
    Personally vaulting was a disaster- How many Colston purple must I trash while all my championed vaulted characters just sit there ? 
    sure let me hoard for a year until there is a new rotation of 12 - that's a lot of fun. Will my championed vaulted guys be back by then ?

No retired characters are going to "come out" of the vault al la classic Disney movies, once they're retired they're done. 

The real detriment is you'll end up having double digits of level 270-290 4*s that will never take advantage of the champion system and never get into the meaty 330+ level area... 

Unless you hoard like its your job, then you'll see a distinct increase in the strength of your championed 4*s...   but that's a ton of hoarding and most efficiently done at the cost of other heroes (let some slip by into retirement obscurity without covering them so you can save your pulls on a group that you can get well into the 300s)

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just pull, and accept the fact that you don't need to make 100% of your token pulls usable to progress.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wonko33 said:
    Its not like you can do that for long though cause then Coulson drops out of the packs and you are forever left with an undercovered character with very little ways to earn new covers for them. 
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Wonko33 said:
    Its not like you can do that for long though cause then Coulson drops out of the packs and you are forever left with an undercovered character with very little ways to earn new covers for them. 

that's the price of hoarding to target your covers on specific heroes some aren't going to get as many...

a so-so 4* at level 270 that's retired likely wont ever be used, so very little loss in having it only have 3-4 covers.

You could half hoard, only pull until the next 4* to be retired has 13 covers then hoard, and wait till you get a massive amount of CP and dump it all when theres a 4* you like lined up to be retired next...

• NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Wonko33 said:
    If you don't make at least some basic plans for what to spend your iso/CP on, then your roster will be in some state of disarray. If this person wants Coulson covers, then keep pulling and cross their fingers. If they want guaranteed Coulson covers in a certain color, then they can bank CP and buy them directly. There are way more choices than "pull the second you get the CP for an LT" (which is still my approach, however questionably wise it may be) and "bank CP and never pull another token again". 
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Just forget about X-23, you will never use her at such a low level.  Boosted 4* start to get really strong around L310.  Around L330 you will be able to use them with L450 5* if you wanted (65K hulkbuster for example).  Champ the newest first and get them as high as you can before leaving.  I though RIRI was horrible, but around L 310 her red started hitting for 28K and green was decent damage.  Mordo is actually decent once he gets up there too.  Fist....not so good, but whatever
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Just pull, and accept the fact that you don't need to make 100% of your token pulls usable to progress.

This is the reality both pre and post vaulting. I probably sold 20 covers of my never- champed spider woman along the way, but I have a 290 agent venom though. I've sold 10 or so mordo covers before champing him now...he'll end up over 300 before leveling tokens though.

Likewise my 12 cover coulson and max covered c&d both of whom I will sell quite a few covers along the way, but once champed will easily be over 300 when all is said and done.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Warbringa said:
    The issue for with vaulting is that it has made the champion feature much less worthwhile.  I will never get enough older 4* covers to make my current 4* champs useful from a champion rewards stand point.  I understand the fact that 4* dilution in an of itself hurts championing too.  However it is in the 3* fold where I feel that vaulting is really killing the champion feature.  You start to get better rewards around level 220 or so for 3* and now I will have a ton of 3* that will never get there in the next several years at the rate I get their tokens.  Well I will get a few of the 3* up to 220 faster due to vaulting but not quick enough in the long haul since they are still introducing new 3* characters and kicking out older 3* characters. I will have a lot of 3* languishing around that 200 level for a long time now.
    Bonus heroes and 2* champion rewards do an excellent job of covering 3*s
  • nitefox1337
    nitefox1337 Posts: 80 Match Maker
    edited June 2017
    I google Vaulting. I read the official Vault announcement from mpq. And yet, I still have no clue about what this "Vaulting" everyone is talking about is nor how it works.

If someone could explain it from scratch, it would be much appreciated.
    I googled Vaulting. I read the official Vault announcement from mpq. And yet, I still have no clue about what this "Vaulting" everyone is talking about is nor how it works.

If someone could explain it from scratch, it would be much appreciated.
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/60255/new-feature-bonus-heroes-updated-3-1-17/p1

"Vaulting" refers to the part about removing characters from packs.  The characters no longer available are considered to be "vaulted" i.e. locked away in a vault that are not accessible.

The term comes from when this practice was first used several years ago where vaulted characters were truly vaulted - there was no way to get them at all.  Now you still have some limited access to vaulted characters through rewards and bonus heroes, but they are not available in things like LTs, heroics, etc.
    Oh, ok, tnx.

I guess it's to pressure customers to buy tokens before their favorite character is retired.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards

The real detriment is you'll end up having double digits of level 270-290 4*s that will never take advantage of the champion system and never get into the meaty 330+ level area... 

You can still get there, if you're willing to pick a favorite and stick with it.  The vast majority of your characters will never get there, but if you choose one you can advance them at about 60% the rate of any given latest.  I suspect there will be a disproportionate number of the top tier in the low-mid-300s a year from now, while everything else sits around 290 or lower forever.

Just what the game needs, MORE limitations on the characters you see in PvP!
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Calnexin said:

Just what the game needs, MORE limitations on the characters you see in PvP!

That's the point I was going to make. Since vaulting, there has been much LESS Variety in PvP and Sim.
    Since it's easier for Everyone to have most of the latest 12 champed, that's almost all we see (except the awesome boosteds obv, blah blah Jean blah). 

It used to be more fun when you happened to have a randomly stronger character than the majority of other players. Now, the majority of players have the same characters moving at such a similar pace, and there goes any competitive advantage... (yes there's sicko's with champed R4G & G4mora already, don't say that's the player majority).
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wonko33 said:

that's the price of hoarding to target your covers on specific heroes some aren't going to get as many...

a so-so 4* at level 270 that's retired likely wont ever be used, so very little loss in having it only have 3-4 covers.

You could half hoard, only pull until the next 4* to be retired has 13 covers then hoard, and wait till you get a massive amount of CP and dump it all when theres a 4* you like lined up to be retired next...

Risky business though. Imagine ending up with 5 or 6 characters all with 3/4 covers. 
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    If we could just choose 4 more characters to the Token 12, making it 16 = Latest 12 plus 4 Token'ed, then we would have potentially 4 more characters to spend health packs on. 

Certainly many of us would like Valuted's to be available in Classic Legendary pulls, but if they were going to consider that they wouldn't have made the Classic Heroic store (or maybe even the HfH store). 

Doing the above would regain some of the 'value' that has been lost on LT's over the last few months.

• NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Wonko33 said:
    Wonko33 said:
    Wonko33 said:

No retired characters are going to "come out" of the vault al la classic Disney movies, once they're retired they're done. 

Unless you hoard like its your job, then you'll see a distinct increase in the strength of your championed 4*s...   but that's a ton of hoarding and most efficiently done at the cost of other heroes (let some slip by into retirement obscurity without covering them so you can save your pulls on a group that you can get well into the 300s)

yes in one swoop they destroyed the championing system
    Yep, with constantly-more-diluted tokens, in the time between the day championing started, when I champed IMHB, and the day vaulting started, he gained 13 champ levels.

In the time since vaulting started, 4 of the current 12 have already surpassed that, two by almost 10 levels. Many of which have several months left in tokens. System destroyed!!!
  • KinDM
    KinDM Posts: 72 Match Maker
    What I don't get is why things rotate so slowly. Like, why 3* characters are one new one in, one old one out. Why not just swap 5 old characters for 5 other old characters every season. Same to an extent with 4*s. Whenever a character gets reworked, put them in the rotation as well. Maybe we keep the last 10 characters, the latest reworked 4* for the season, and one random older 4* gets rotated in per week, so people can maybe make a LITTLE progress. Or even make a 20cp classic token that's only 4*s? I'm in a good place, literally every 4* but Dino at 13 covers, so I actually like the current system to keep on top of things, but I know I'm the minority, and I acknowledge that locking out content from new players is a bad thing. So with all the many many creative ways they could solve this, why is it so bland and uncreative?