R128 Release Notes (6/5/17)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited June 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi Everyone,

Here are the Release Notes for the R128 update.

MPQ R128!

"Trapped in time"

What's Changed

• Enemies from the next wave no longer arrive in the incorrect order when completing waves.
  • The game is no longer put in an unresponsive state when updating the game from a rare situation where the update file is invalid or corrupt.
  • The game is no longer unresponsive for a short period of time when selecting the Level Jump button for 5-Stars on older devices.
  • The game is no longer unresponsive for a short period of time when closing the tile information pop-up in battle.
  • The Bonus Heroes filter will no longer display all characters when you achieve S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank 8 while in the Roster screen.
  • The top of the tile information pop-up in battle is no longer off screen.
  • Powers that allow the player to select characters (Like Black Panther (Civil War)'s power Panther's Prey) will now display the name of the opponents under the Icon to make selecting characters more accurate.

Comments

• evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Trapped in time .. 
    Cable , Bishop???
    That would be cool

Edit: forgot the obligatory guess..... dazzler!?
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Obviously the clue refers to someone for whom disco is still cool.

Tony P and the Disco Boys confirmed.

• granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone,
    • Powers that allow the player to select characters (Like Black Panther (Civil War)'s power Panther's Prey) will now display the name of the opponents under the Icon to make selecting characters more accurate.
    Way to bury the lead!

Well, okay, the wave thing has been supremely annoying so that probably was the lead, but then it was dull thing, dull, thing, lots of dull things, thing I actually care about.

Which is my way of saying thank you.
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think we'll be on a roll of Spider-Man characters...
    Marvel.com: Why the sudden Doc Ock love? Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of the man, but what was the impetus behind his 5-Star treatment?

Josh Austin: I am sensing it may be a big summer for Spider-Man and company. So why not a well-known villain like Doctor Octopus to start it off with a fun nod to his classic bowl cut look?

There's only time to release maybe 2 more characters before Homecoming, so I think pure Spidey franchise for now!

While another 4* Spider-Man may be over-the-top (particularly when 3* has none of worth), I'd guess Spider-Man 2099 as the most notable time-displaced Spidey character.

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    granne said:
    Brigby said: 
    Hi Everyone,
    Way to bury the lead!

Well, okay, the wave thing has been supremely annoying so that probably was the lead, but then it was dull thing, dull, thing, lots of dull things, thing I actually care about.

Excited for this too, but gonna reserve judgment until I can try it in game. The issue I had with this was fighting against similar goons (say two Muscle and a Thug, or maybe a wave node where there happen to be three Taisatsu on screen at once, etc.) and one of the clone goons had a CD tile resolving.

I would want to use Panther's Prey to target that specific goon to try and kill them before the CD resolves. Problem was, the icon was exactly the same, making picking the right goon a guessing game.

While it sounds like this fix can help differentiate among Muscle, Thug, Hitman, etc., still sounds like it might not be helpful if there are multiples of the same goon.

So like I said, reserving judgement until I can try it out in game. Sounds promising, but still with the potential for some confusion. 

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think we'll be on a roll of Spider-Man characters...
    Marvel.com: Why the sudden Doc Ock love? Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of the man, but what was the impetus behind his 5-Star treatment?

Josh Austin: I am sensing it may be a big summer for Spider-Man and company. So why not a well-known villain like Doctor Octopus to start it off with a fun nod to his classic bowl cut look?

There's only time to release maybe 2 more characters before Homecoming, so I think pure Spidey franchise for now!

While another 4* Spider-Man may be over-the-top (particularly when 3* has none of worth), I'd guess Spider-Man 2099 as the most notable time-displaced Spidey character.

Ooo, 2099 would be fun. As would Mayday (though she's as much "alternate reality" as "from the future"). Both would be welcome, so long as they aren't purple/yellow/red (web tile users could really use some diversity, so there's more synergy with the Spidey people)
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    Looking to spice up your “Marvel Puzzle Quest” roster with some classic Spider-Man villains? 
    I am sensing it may be a big summer for Spider-Man and company.

Two lines from the start of the Doc Ock release article. Combine with the clue.

"Trapped in time"

There's only one logical conclusion.

Close. It's obviously the Hypno-Hustler.

• matthatter
    matthatter Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Seriously? Who else could it be but Doctor Emmett Brown?
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    granne said:
    Brigby said: 
    Hi Everyone,
    Way to bury the lead!

Excited for this too, but gonna reserve judgment until I can try it in game. The issue I had with this was fighting against similar goons (say two Muscle and a Thug, or maybe a wave node where there happen to be three Taisatsu on screen at once, etc.) and one of the clone goons had a CD tile resolving.

I would want to use Panther's Prey to target that specific goon to try and kill them before the CD resolves. Problem was, the icon was exactly the same, making picking the right goon a guessing game.

While it sounds like this fix can help differentiate among Muscle, Thug, Hitman, etc., still sounds like it might not be helpful if there are multiples of the same goon.

So like I said, reserving judgement until I can try it out in game. Sounds promising, but still with the potential for some confusion. 

Unfortunately, it is not common knowledge, but if you tap on the active character, any CD tile that belongs to them should "flash."  This also works by rotating them in, if they control a CD tile, it will flash.  
  • rubix_qube
    rubix_qube Posts: 69 Match Maker
    Options
    It finally occurred to me that whichever enemy is up front then their icon is farthest left when it comes to Panther's Prey. So if you need to pick off a specific goon then make sure they are up front and you'll know which icon to choose.
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    granne said:
    Brigby said: 
    Hi Everyone,
    Way to bury the lead!

Unfortunately, it is not common knowledge, but if you tap on the active character, any CD tile that belongs to them should "flash."  This also works by rotating them in, if they control a CD tile, it will flash.  
    This is a different issue.  That tells you which character controls them when selecting them via the ordinary targeting function, but when you have a power like Black Bolt's Yellow or Black Panther's Black, you target the affected character by choosing one of row of three icons that pops up.  I think Colossus' Black uses the same mechanism, or something similar.

For Black Panther's Black, when you're fighting two identical characters, usually goon characters, you have to guess between the two identical icons and hope you picked the right one.

This fix will help differentiate between characters with similar icons, like on gauntlet nodes that team up three different wolverines or something, but not against identical characters with both the same names and the same icons.  That will still be a guessing game.

The fix is obvious.  Give the goons different names, like Steve and Pileofpoop.  One of those names would be for Mindless Ones, obviously.  Pileofpoop, on the other hand, is a Muscle goon.
    Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I was aware that if you cycled through goons, the CD tiles that corresponded to them would flash so you can focus on which ones you want to target. But, that is a good tip if anyone isn't aware of it.

My suggestion shortly after 5* BP debuted was to give glowing effect to the icon for the targeted character when you activated the power. So to use the earlier example, say it's two Muscle and a Thug. One Muscle has a Strike tile CD resolving, the other has the AoE tile resolving, and you want to choose the AoE Muscle to deal extra damage to in order to hopefully defeat before the tile resolves.

Currently when you activate Panther's Prey, you just get three identical pistol icons and you have to guess which one belongs to the Muscle with the AoE CD tile. My solution was to target who you want, then activate the power to bring up the icons. Then whoever is being targeted has a glowing effect behind their icon. Let's say it's the pistol on the right. Now you'll know for sure to pick that one and deal the extra damage to him and take him out.
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    It finally occurred to me that whichever enemy is up front then their icon is farthest left when it comes to Panther's Prey. So if you need to pick off a specific goon then make sure they are up front and you'll know which icon to choose.
    Has that been confirmed? I was under the impression that the icon placement was based on the order the opponents appeared on the boost/team up select screen right before the match started.

For instance, if the match was Maggia Don, Thug and Muscle, with Muscle on the left, Don in the middle and Thug on the right at the boost/team up select screen, then the pistol icons left to right would be Muscle, Don, then Thug.

Which is great if you can remember that in the middle of the match after you shuffled around different targets several times. It's like playing Three Card Monty; "Find the lady, with the prize!"

However, that method becomes completely useless when it comes to goon wave nodes.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "Trapped in Time"
    GASP! Booster Gold? (Wait, he's DC)
    GASP! Kang the Conqueror? (Wait, he'd be under Fox merchandising rights)
    GASP! Cab... nope
    Captain America? (This makes too much sense. I wish it didn't make so much sense.)

It being Summer of Spidey, I have to agree that Spider-Man 2099 is the most likely. Blue/black/red? The unique features of the poison bite and the small talons in hands and feet should be represented. Maybe web tiles through blue power.
  • rubix_qube
    rubix_qube Posts: 69 Match Maker
    Options

DarthDeVo said:
    Has that been confirmed? I was under the impression that the icon placement was based on the order the opponents appeared on the boost/team up select screen right before the match started.

For instance, if the match was Maggia Don, Thug and Muscle, with Muscle on the left, Don in the middle and Thug on the right at the boost/team up select screen, then the pistol icons left to right would be Muscle, Don, then Thug.

Which is great if you can remember that in the middle of the match after you shuffled around different targets several times. It's like playing Three Card Monty; "Find the lady, with the prize!"

However, that method becomes completely useless when it comes to goon wave nodes.
    Every time I use it the enemy up front becomes the icon on the left. Even if you shuffle the characters around.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Oh **** am I excited! This could actually be Cable! It's not, I'm sure, but it could be Spider Man 2099 and that is awesome as well! 

But we want those characters, so it's probably America Chavez
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Beer40 said:
    Oh tinykitty am I excited! This could actually be Cable! It's not, I'm sure, but it could be Spider Man 2099 and that is awesome as well! 

But we want those characters, so it's probably America Chavez
    I would rather have America Chavez than Cable, personally.
  • DarthDeVo
    Options

DarthDeVo said:

Every time I use it the enemy up front becomes the icon on the left. Even if you shuffle the characters around.
     Huh. I'll have to try that. 
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Could it be Sandman?